Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

VelociBacon posted:

For your average professional career, how many references are reasonable to provide? I was surprised to receive feedback (after being hired) that one of my references wasn't as glowing as I would have expected. They aren't going to tell me who it was (of my 4) so I was going to just cut the one I think is the most likely and replace it with a new reference who I am very confident is a solid addition.

I touched base with every reference before applying and they all came across as very positive about me so I guess I'm just learning that people in management roles can be a little deceitful! Who would have thought?! Or maybe they were hoping I'd be stuck forever in my previous position working for them.
Have a friend call and roleplay as a hiring manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Have a friend call and roleplay as a hiring manager.

I've actually considered testing my references by having one of my friends who own a business send the generic email template thing (that's how references work in my industry) but something about that just seems so sleezy?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

VelociBacon posted:

I've actually considered testing my references by having one of my friends who own a business send the generic email template thing (that's how references work in my industry) but something about that just seems so sleezy?
I’d only do it if you’re trying to figure out which reference is torpedoing you

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently interviewing for a role that requires you to have a bachelor's degree and some relevant experience but is otherwise considered "entry level". Namely, it's a Contracts Analyst job.
Other than that, the role has some specific requirements that I fit, such as proficiency in a couple of languages.

I had an initial 30-minute HR screening, a first interview, and a skill assessment, all of which went well (at least I think so, I haven't received any specific feedback).

Today I had a second and final interview with another person, and it did not go well. I had prepared answers to questions about my time management and organizational skills (which is what the job posting explicitly called for), and the interviewer pressed me on high-level, substantive issues that I had faced in my professional experience. This was completely different from what the first interviewer had pressed me on, and also I wouldn't be expected to actually solve those kinds of issues in my role, just escalate them if they came up.

To be clear, these are fair questions given my experience, but they caught me off guard and I had to scramble to give a coherent answer. I've been job searching for a while now, and some of these experiences are from years ago and I couldn't just say nothing for 2 minutes while I organized my thoughts.

After that the interview kind of petered out. I was told to expect a decision next week.

Is it worth sending an email to the interviewer essentially expanding and providing a few more examples on what he asked? I have good answers to them, but in the moment I froze.

For what it's worth, I had good rapport with him and at no point did he say anything negative about me, but I could tell he was looking for something more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Probably not, once a decision is made one way or another an email isn't going to change it. "Here's a better answer" in particular probably won't fly very well. I've had people send me followup questions or maybe a little bit of "let me expand on this topic we talked about", which I guess is nice but won't move the needle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It would move the needle a bit for me if you followed up. I don't think it would hurt.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna :justpost: the email for some feedback, hope it's ok. It's around 230 words in total, which feels long but also at some point if I trim too much from the answers they stop making any sense.

Also for context, the interviewer is English and soccer fanatic. Argentina won today, and England is playing tomorrow.

quote:

redacted cause I’m not gonna send it. Thanks for the advice!

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 10, 2022

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Seems too long to me. I've had people follow up before, and A.) it doesn't really help, and B.) it's usually just a couple sentences and a link. Like:

"[...normal thank you stuff...] During the interview we talked about X, and I wanted to provide some more context for my answer. Please see this summary report which includes a breakdown of Y and Z."

Maybe not the best example, but basically it's not trying to sneak in a "do over" for a question that was flubbed in the moment. Yours feels like a do-over, which you don't get in interviews.

I say don't send that and just see what happens. Anyone with interviewing experience knows that people can be caught off guard. It's not an instant dealbreaker. But an after-the-fact somewhat desperate sounding note (instead of a thank you) might be a dealbreaker. So just let it go. You might be surprised! Esp. if you did well in the other ones.

e: also the soccer comment itself isn't bad but in this context feels tacked on, and a little bit like you're trying to exploit the small amount of camaraderie that was developed during the interview. It seems like you're just overthinking it - just relax and see what happens. If you got through all those first rounds without any problem I really doubt you screwed up as badly as you think. Sometimes interviews just don't gel, it happens.

gamer roomie is 41 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 10, 2022

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that honestly tracks with my gut feeling, I guess I am just fishing for a do-over.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If someone with work experience sent me an essay I’d think they are a chore to work with

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CarForumPoster posted:

If someone with work experience sent me an essay I’d think they are a chore to work with

Ditto. I’d think they didn’t know how interviews work.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Starting to do STAR based interviews and I really suck at them. It really feels like they would prefer I just give them the canned answers that you get off of Youtube. The fact that I really dislike shining the spotlight on myself doesn't help, I pushed my next interview for a different position back a couple of weeks because this last one made me feel a great deal of self doubt and I need to recharge.

A couple of samples from today's round

"Tell me of a time that you found a safety hazard and how you dealt with it"
I improvised as best as I could, but it's hard for me to think of a workplace where tip-toeing around workplace hazards wasn't just part of the job. It will feel odd working for a place that actively tries to not have that.

"Tell me of an ethical problem you found at work and how you dealt with it"
The only types of workplace ethics I've really dealt with are things like dealing with the boss to get paid, by sending the labor department after them and coworker shenanigans. Both feel like bad options, I went for the former, but phrased better.

"Tell me of a time when you had a problem with multiple solutions, how did you choose."
Sensible, but that's about as vague of a question as you could give me. I went for the efficiency angle.

There were a few others that were more standard questions that I've run into before. This is for a wrench turning job. Wish me luck.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

STAR questions should be the start of a conversation. Just a series of those questions without any discussion is a stupid waste of time.

Then again most interviewers are bad at interviewing.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

From what I gather I'm being interviewed by volunteer employees and the panel may or may not include a person from HR or corporate. The way it runs is they'll ask me a question from the list, I answer, they sometimes ask for clarification. At the end there's an open questions session, but this last group felt like talking to a brick wall and we ended early. Feeling a bit of FOMO over this one, because its the sort of position that I could sit in for a fair time.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Group of employees interviews generally have little to no bearing on hiring decisions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

nomad2020 posted:

The fact that I really dislike shining the spotlight on myself doesn't help,
Best advice I ever got about this is that interviews are the one time you need to brag about yourself and better to overshoot than undershoot. You'll just have to get used to it sadly.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Got all stressed out for nothing, woke up to a contingent offer sitting in my mail. Really didn't expect that fast of a turnaround, but I won't start until well after New Years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nomad2020 posted:

Got all stressed out for nothing, woke up to a contingent offer sitting in my mail. Really didn't expect that fast of a turnaround, but I won't start until well after New Years.

Congrats, sounds like you killed it if they wanted to get the offer to you so fast!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

nomad2020 posted:

Did you negotiate yet or did they hit the number you can't say no to?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

This offer places me about midway up the Union scale, I have already accepted that. Honestly a bit lower than I was shooting for, but higher than the other position I was looking into would offer. Good benefits otherwise, I will be well taken care of.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Union scales limit your negotiating room so it sounds like this is a win for you. Grats.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Helping my brother out with his resume and had a quick (maybe obvious) question.
What would be the best way to structure it if his experience looks like this?

Company A / Paralegal Assistant 2019 - Present
Bank A / Bank Analyst 2015 - 2019
Company A / Assistant 2009 - 2014 (same employer as current job)

He's looking to get back into banking but I assume we should still stick with chronological and not functional / hybrid?
Make the bank position details the meat and potatoes of the resume?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Non chronological resumes go in the trash.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Use chronological unless you have concurrent roles, then group.

And yes, emphasize the roles you want more of.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

They should also spin the description of the most recent paralegal role to emphasize the duties and responsibilities that would be most relevant for a bank job.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm in the final stages of an interviewing process. In my CV I mentioned I had native proficiency in one language, and "Advanced" proficiency for another.

I made sure to mention in the interview that for the "Advanced", my reading and speaking skills were better than my writing skills, and the Hiring Manager seemed OK with that, but it's not a point we spent too much time on.

They sent me a couple of online language tests, and I aced the reading for both. The writing section will probably take a few more days to come back, but I expect for my "Advanced" language, the result will be in the middle of the range.

Is it worth sending a polite email to the HM reminding them of the reading/writing disparity or do I just let it lie and hope they remember? Mostly I'm concerned about it looking like I tried to pass my skills off as something they are not.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dpkg chopra posted:

I'm in the final stages of an interviewing process. In my CV I mentioned I had native proficiency in one language, and "Advanced" proficiency for another.

I made sure to mention in the interview that for the "Advanced", my reading and speaking skills were better than my writing skills, and the Hiring Manager seemed OK with that, but it's not a point we spent too much time on.

They sent me a couple of online language tests, and I aced the reading for both. The writing section will probably take a few more days to come back, but I expect for my "Advanced" language, the result will be in the middle of the range.

Is it worth sending a polite email to the HM reminding them of the reading/writing disparity or do I just let it lie and hope they remember? Mostly I'm concerned about it looking like I tried to pass my skills off as something they are not.

Depends on the role, will writing be a core skill in that language for the job? If so, don't remind them that you think you suck, it won't help. If reading/speaking is more important, maybe. I'd still lean no because if the score sucks they will think you suck but setting an expectation might give a slight edge.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I probably wouldn't bother. I don't think your concern is founded considering you did well on the other portions.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to tell. Nominally, yes, writing is important but 99% of my writing would be in English.

From how the job was explained to me, even with other countries the documentation is mostly in English, knowing other languages is good for being able to deal with stakeholders, and in my role I honestly would have to escalate any substantial changes to any text, anyway.

The job description asked for proficiency in "X and/or Y languages".

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Don’t bother them about it; you’ll come across as insecure and trying to game the process.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
But Doctor, I am insecure and trying to game the process!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
(I won’t send the email, thanks for the advice)

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Am I handling this correctly?

Job #1: Just made me an offer, I'm not too excited about this role or the company but I'm in no position to refuse their money right now and I will accept. Start date 1/9.

Job #2. I'm in interview stage 3 of 4 for Job #2, I'm very excited about this role and they will pay me more than Job #1. Currently waiting for them to reach and confirm I made it to the final interview, who knows what will happen but best case scenario they make me an offer before my start date for Job #1. What should I do if I start Job #1 and still interviewing/waiting for Job #2?

To cover my rear end I'm accepting Job #1 but I really want Job #2 and I'd rather not start a job for a week and quit. Should I try to push Job #2 to wrap this up ASAP or continue to be patient and let things play out?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd push (nicely). Starting then walking away from a job will burn you there for a long time. That might be worth it, and depending on your industry and location it might not be a big deal but if you can avoid it you should.

Letting them know you have another job offer isn't rude. I wouldn't tell them you accepted it though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does the new company know you have an offer? Whenever I've been in that spot, telling the new company I've got an existing offer in-hand has accelerated their interview process.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does the new company know you have an offer? Whenever I've been in that spot, telling the new company I've got an existing offer in-hand has accelerated their interview process.

They don't know I have an offer, in previous conversations I've mentioned that I'm interviewing at other places and would like to move fast.

Job #2 reached out to schedule a final interview for next week. At that point I'm going to let them know I have another offer but really want this job and would appreciate a quick decision so I can let Job #1 I'm not going to accept.

I could also try to push my start date for Job #1 to buy some time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Let job #2 know you have an offer but would like to understand all options and still think that's potentially a great fit but that there's a time crunch. Don't tell them they are your top preference.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 10, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

References still have a place, especially if your candidate is maybe not a great communicator so you need to figure out if they are nervous in an interview vs full of poo poo. I don't use them very often but sometimes you need to.

And vet your references, don't give a reference from someone who would be that petty. If you work somewhere for a couple years and can't come up with one person who can be positive of your work that's a whole different problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

References still have a place, especially if your candidate is maybe not a great communicator so you need to figure out if they are nervous in an interview vs full of poo poo. I don't use them very often but sometimes you need to.

And vet your references, don't give a reference from someone who would be that petty. If you work somewhere for a couple years and can't come up with one person who can be positive of your work that's a whole different problem.

This is where someone's skill as a recruiter comes in. A professional recruiter's job is to gleam as much as they can about a candidate.

Sure some people don't do well in the interview process, but that logic cuts both ways- some people are great at interviewing but end up falling way short of the impression they set once they start the job (I have experienced this and bet that you have, too). And when people give you a reference you have no way of knowing if it's legitimate or phony.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 10, 2024