Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

taser rates posted:

If you see one without a Z-Man logo on it, that's the one, assuming you live in the US anyways.

Sorry, let me clarify. I understand about the Z-Man logo thing but I'm not talking about ordering it in person because my FLGS owner doesn't carry it, and when I asked if he could order it for me and explained about the differing printings he told me "well there's just one listing for it I can find."

So basically I either have to flip a coin and have him order it blind or I need to order it myself online, but none of the online vendors I've seen specify. If I order it from Coolstuff is it going to be the printing I want? How about Amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Sorry, let me clarify. I understand about the Z-Man logo thing but I'm not talking about ordering it in person because my FLGS owner doesn't carry it, and when I asked if he could order it for me and explained about the differing printings he told me "well there's just one listing for it I can find."

So basically I either have to flip a coin and have him order it blind or I need to order it myself online, but none of the online vendors I've seen specify. If I order it from Coolstuff is it going to be the printing I want? How about Amazon?

Sorry yea, what the other guy said. CSI's version is the new one, though you could probably just e-mail any of them and ask if you're unsure.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fat Samurai posted:

A friend has just asked me for opinions about Study in Emerald which I don't know anything about besides Cthulhu+Sherlock Holmes+Gainman. Can anyone give me the short version so I can appear knowledgeable?

I would echo the "it's awful" part, and if the theme was at all intriguing to you (the short story does own), the game does nothing to support that theme. The game just felt janky to play in the way that it tried to combine all these mechanics (area control, deckbuilding, traitor, probably more) in a way that didn't feel cohesive or even exciting.

That said, I believe there will be a new edition with some rule modifications, so maybe something good will come from that?

EBag
May 18, 2006

Lorini posted:

Ora et Labora will be reprinted. Zman will do the English version, Lookout will do the German version. Ora is one of my top ten games of all time. Note however that the randomness comes during play, not in the game. The game has no inherently random features, leading to criticism for a lack of replayability. Over 50 plays later I have not found that to be an issue, but of course your mileage may vary.

Aw man, where'd you hear this? I don't see anything on its BGG page. I'm trying to sell my copy and was hoping to make a nice little premium off it but oh well.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

taser rates posted:

Sorry yea, what the other guy said. CSI's version is the new one, though you could probably just e-mail any of them and ask if you're unsure.

Ah okay, I missed that dude's post. Coolstuff it is then.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

EBag posted:

Aw man, where'd you hear this? I don't see anything on its BGG page. I'm trying to sell my copy and was hoping to make a nice little premium off it but oh well.

It's on Uwe's Facebook page :) Also discussed under Availability on its BGG page.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fungah! posted:

anime is good

Hell, you aren't wrong!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If you don't like anime, let me see if I can find a more neutral theme like trading in the Mediterranean ..

* opens closet and is crushed by an avalanche of board game boxes*

*each box features a portrait of a funny looking guy standing in front of a painting of some town from the past*

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 21, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If you don't like anime, let me see if I can find a more neutral theme like trading in the Mediterranean ..

*each box features a portrait of a funny looking guy standing in front of a painting of some town from the past*

I would buy the poo poo out of Argent set in the Mediterranean with wizard trading companies where you blow up opponent infrastructure, teleport goods, etc. That would be amazing.

Really, more Euros need fireballs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'd rather a mountain of "okay" than a handful of "poo poo"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Where in the world do you buy the Tash Kalar reprinted edition, the one with the better components? No store listing I've seen for it says in nice, obvious, helpful letters "THIS IS THE CZECH GAMES REPRINT, AKA THE ONE YOU ACTUALLY WANT."

If you can't find it, you can buy the zman one and spend the 10 bucks on the upgrade kit CGE made that incorporates the better component pieces.

But keep in mind the zman one sells for like 20 dollars more, so you'll be paying the difference of about 30 bucks to get it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

Fortunately, with Anime, you have a mountain of "bad*ss"!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Well you're in luck then because you get both!

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

T-Bone posted:

So in idiot kickstarter backer news I backed Mottainai at the deluxe level which is only like $20 and Carl does no wrong so hopefully the loving thing ships on time

I would've done if shipping to the UK didn't effectively double the price. I'll just have to wait until it gets a proper release, I think.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Eminent Domain is a really good game and has really taken off with my group. We haven't played the expansion yet (hopefully will this weekend), but so far it has been a blast.

What makes it especially surprising is that my friend with severe AP played this game very quickly, even on his first play. The limited options make it easy for him to evaluate what he wants to do, and each option is powerful enough that there's never really a bad decision.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I just want the drat new Exotica expansion to finally go up on Kickstarter and get the ball rolling! But yeah, love that game. Escalation is super great, too. Although I think the Scientific Discovery scenario might be too good.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The way some people continue to recoil and hiss like a vampire at the mere mention of the dreaded anime in 2015 will never stop being ridiculous.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Kai Tave posted:

The way some people continue to recoil and hiss like a vampire at the mere mention of the dreaded anime in 2015 will never stop being ridiculous.

You don't understand, if I look at the wrong cartoons I might become a nerd

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Kai Tave posted:

Ordering games from distributors is the worst. With one of the ones I use even having a single picture of some version of the game is a luxury, let alone having any information about which printing it is that I'm going to receive.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

GrandpaPants posted:

I would echo the "it's awful" part, and if the theme was at all intriguing to you (the short story does own), the game does nothing to support that theme. The game just felt janky to play in the way that it tried to combine all these mechanics (area control, deckbuilding, traitor, probably more) in a way that didn't feel cohesive or even exciting.

That said, I believe there will be a new edition with some rule modifications, so maybe something good will come from that?

Let the turd polishing commence!

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Planning to play Keyflower for the first time and teaching it tonight to a group of brosefs and I have a question about actions in the winter season:

Can you take actions on tiles that are not winter tiles? Like say i want to create and move some resources during that turn before end game scoring, can I do that during the winter season? Would I need to have done that in Autumn season. I have to imagine you can just because you're going to have some meeples.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Texibus posted:

Planning to play Keyflower for the first time and teaching it tonight to a group of brosefs and I have a question about actions in the winter season:

Can you take actions on tiles that are not winter tiles? Like say i want to create and move some resources during that turn before end game scoring, can I do that during the winter season? Would I need to have done that in Autumn season. I have to imagine you can just because you're going to have some meeples.

Yep, you can always activate tiles on the table, doesn't matter what season it is, as long as you match colors obviously.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah the winter phase is often about squeezing out some extra points here and there by converting a thing to gold or upgrading a village tile, in addition to bagging winter tiles

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Misandu posted:

Ordering games from distributors is the worst. With one of the ones I use even having a single picture of some version of the game is a luxury, let alone having any information about which printing it is that I'm going to receive.

I even went through an Alliance Games Catalog to see if I could find it there but they didn't even have a listing for Czech Games so that's right out. I'll probably snag it from CGI then, I usually try to buy through my FLGS because it's a legitimately good clean store with playspace and such, but I'm not gonna drive myself crazy over it either and I desperately need another good 2-player game.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Thanks man, anything funny in the rules that was typically missed or poorly understood that I can avoid in my explanation?

It seems pretty straight forward: Bid or Activate tiles on your turn, Winning bidder loses meeples but gains the meeples used to activate the tile, no more than 6 meeples on a tile for activation, must be the same color for bids.

Then the transport thing seems pretty straightforward and carcassone like tile placement for the village.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Texibus posted:

Thanks man, anything funny in the rules that was typically missed or poorly understood that I can avoid in my explanation?

It seems pretty straight forward: Bid or Activate tiles on your turn, Winning bidder loses meeples but gains the meeples used to activate the tile, no more than 6 meeples on a tile for activation, must be the same color for bids.

Then the transport thing seems pretty straightforward and carcassone like tile placement for the village.

Must be same color for both bids and activations. This includes when someone puts a worker on a tile and then you want to bid on it, and in reverse.

I would remind people about the 6 meeples on a tile for activation but no limit for bids. Otherwise I think it's probably best learned just by pressing buttons and pulling levers and quickly bumbling through the first game. You might want to remind people about the different cases where they lose workers or gain them (or when their opponent gains them) because that can catch people off guard. Basically the differences between winning a bid, losing a bid, placing workers on a tile you own or will own, placing workers on a tile an opponent owns or remains unowned in the market

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Dirk the Average posted:

Eminent Domain is a really good game and has really taken off with my group. We haven't played the expansion yet (hopefully will this weekend), but so far it has been a blast.

What makes it especially surprising is that my friend with severe AP played this game very quickly, even on his first play. The limited options make it easy for him to evaluate what he wants to do, and each option is powerful enough that there's never really a bad decision.

Awesome.
I really want to get it to the table soon. I am hoping I can wrangle up some interested people this weekend for some gaming. Probably with the goal of getting EmDom and Castles of Mad King Ludwig played.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Texibus posted:

Just keep in mind that green meeples act exactly like every other meeple, except they're green. So any greens used in winning bids or used to activate tiles that no one bid for still go in the bag at the end of the season.

One thing that's nice to mention at the start of the game but not necessary are the different ways you can get points from boats at the end of winter, like length of your river, the longest road loop, etc, so they don't inadvertently build a crappy village.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

Anime theme means anime tropes and/or anime humor. Themes always come with baggage, that's like the entire point of using a familiar theme. If you don't like the theme in general you probably won't like the theme in specific cases.

I imagine there exist people who feel the same way about zombie themes or cthulu themes or fantasy themes or cowboy themes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I swear to god if I see ONE MORE kickstarter for a cowboy game I'm gonna flip out!!!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

esquilax posted:

Anime theme means anime tropes and/or anime humor.

Except Tragedy Looper doesn't have either unless you specifically want it to. People are literally refusing to buy a stellar, unique game because the character cards have big eyes.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If anti-anime people really want to make a point about how cool they they should probably stop devoting weekends and evenings to playing with elaborate cardboard dioramas.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Impermanent posted:

If anti-anime people really want to make a point about how cool they they should probably stop devoting weekends and evenings to playing with elaborate cardboard dioramas.

I don't think anyone said that ever.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's implicit.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Just replace the characters cards and tape over the designer's name and turn it into Caylus Looper if you really have to, but everyone ought to own it in some form.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

While we're strawmaning;

"I don't like game because of art style."

"I don't like game because I don't care for theme."

Aren't these reasonable reasons to not buy a game?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Impermanent posted:

How many anime dolls do you own?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Lord Frisk posted:

While we're strawmaning;

"I don't like game because of art style."

"I don't like game because I don't care for theme."

Aren't these reasonable reasons to not buy a game?

Yes, absolutely. Except Looper's mechanics aren't affected by either: the game has no theme except what you choose to give it within the plots you run, and the art could be whatever you want to use to represent the cards. Pull out Magic Cards and say 'hey this Mountain is actually the Patient' if you like. The mechanics behind them are so good that I feel that would be an acceptable tradeoff in order to get the game on the table.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Stelas posted:

Except Tragedy Looper doesn't have either unless you specifically want it to. People are literally refusing to buy a stellar, unique game because the character cards have big eyes.

It's a pretty reasonable expectation that a game will have some connection to it's theme. I thought it was generally considered a bad thing when there's no conveyance?

I still want to play it if I can find people, I just want to play it in spite of its theme.

Impermanent posted:

I don't think anyone is saying they are too cool for anime. I played the Disgaea video games because I liked the gameplay, but I found the humor to be pretty annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Stelas posted:

Yes, absolutely. Except Looper's mechanics aren't affected by either: the game has no theme except what you choose to give it within the plots you run, and the art could be whatever you want to use to represent the cards. Pull out Magic Cards and say 'hey this Mountain is actually the Patient' if you like. The mechanics behind them are so good that I feel that would be an acceptable tradeoff in order to get the game on the table.

The game has the theme printed on it. A retheme or reskin would work, sure. But the game as is is covered in an art style that some people do not want or appreciate. Let them not play it.