Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bigfoot again posted:

I’ve seen lots of teams do this when their 10 is tiny and might get bulldozed. You basically have him play fly half in attack and fullback in defence. Wasps did it with Cipriani for ages because he was such a weak tackler.

I still think MacKenzieks a fullback tho.

We are increasingly seeing the hybridisation of various positions with fullback though, with the exception of 13, in New Zealand.

Ben Smith started on the wing, is primarily a fullback, but often pops up at 12 as a second play-maker to ease the pressure on the first-five.

First-fives like Beauden Barrett, and Carter in the later stages of his career, often hang back to play fullback (it's also no surprise that Carter filled in at 15 for Canterbury in the 2004 NPC, partially also due to the fact that the team was also juggling Andrew Mehrtens and Aaron Mauger) - particularly to assist in kicking duels and gain field territory.

Wingers are now expected to be well-versed in the skills required off fullbacks.

As a play-maker and decision-maker, I've yet to be convinced by McKenzie, and truth be told, I'd rather Richie Mo'unga or Bryn Gatland be groomed as the next 10s behind Barrett. Mo'unga's already had a look-in, being called into the All Blacks squad after the Barbarians fixture where he was excellent for the Baabaas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I like DMac, he's an exciting player and when he's good he's great. However I am also yet to be convinced of him in that 10 role. Some of the argument seems to be "well he can cover fullback/wing too" but really, out side of Barrett, when have we ever used a 10 like that? I think we can all agree Barrett is a freak.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

slothrop posted:

I like DMac, he's an exciting player and when he's good he's great. However I am also yet to be convinced of him in that 10 role. Some of the argument seems to be "well he can cover fullback/wing too" but really, out side of Barrett, when have we ever used a 10 like that? I think we can all agree Barrett is a freak.

How many Rugby World Cup winners' medals does Barrett have? Pffft, he has two.

For reals though, Colin Slade was loving great in his last couple of seasons in NZ, and he'd be a great guy to have in the squad.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
I present the Scottish side that is going to get absolutely clattered by the Irish this weekend. One change in the starting line up with 21 year old Blair Kinghorn coming in for Tommy Seymour in his first start for Scotland. He usually plays fullback for Edinburgh but he should do well on the wing and runs really good lines. he's also 6'6 so is solid in the air and tends to run over people when he gets the chance.

Fraser Brown returns on the bench along with Tim Swinson and WP Nel will add solidity to the scrum in the last 20-30 minutes.
Now just have to hope Good Finn shows up...

1. Gordon Reid (London Irish)
2. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby)
3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh Rugby)
4. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby)
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors)
6. John Barclay CAPTAIN (Scarlets)
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby)
8. Ryan Wilson VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors)
9. Greig Laidlaw VICE CAPTAIN (Clermont Auvergne)
10. Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors)
11. Sean Maitland (Saracens)
12. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors)
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors)
14. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby)
15. Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors)

16. Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors)
17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors)
18. Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby)
19. Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors)
20. David Denton (Worcester Warriors)
21. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors)
22. Nick Grigg (Glasgow Warriors)
23. Lee Jones (Glasgow Warriors)

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Also, can someone explain why England have stuck with the same backrow against France when the French are genuinely terrifying at the break down with Camara and Lauret?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Also, can someone explain why England have stuck with the same backrow against France when the French are genuinely terrifying at the break down with Camara and Lauret?

1. Underhill’s OUt for the season or he would’ve played
2. The franch are massive so the big slow guys might be useful this week

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

England intend to grind the game out I think. I don't really expect to see anything fancy from them tomorrow, lots of mauls and drilling it through the centre.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

1. Underhill’s OUt for the season or he would’ve played
2. The franch are massive so the big slow guys might be useful this week

Would have thought Simmonds would have been a better starter to add a bit of balance to the backrow and I'm not sure the big slow guys are going to far any better against the French backrow who are big and fast as opposed to Scotland's small and fast backrow

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
England are going to have their burly men rub up against them and then hope their lithe back three can tease the holes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jordie Barrett's dyed his hair.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Good win.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Attn yank rugby likers:

Glasgow have been linked with David Tameilau. He any good?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Quite scrappy, this.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I never bothered getting a TV arial after moving into my current flat because I almost never watched broadcast TV, but I miss it now.

ITV player is utter poo poo.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is really bad

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Turd of a match with the odd nugget of skill, Irish lineout is Not Good.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

lmao good job

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

gently caress me

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's picking up.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

shambles

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What a loving awful pass. Actually laughed out loud.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Lmao actually nah game sort of owns in a see saw of ineptitude kinda way

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What the gently caress was that??

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That man should probably not still be on the field.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Odd game. Score isn't a good reflection of what's going on. Ireland ahead due to two silly mistakes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That boy looks in pain.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Ireland aren't playing pretty but they're getting it done, hopefully the bench make an impact too and get the bonus point try.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Scotland just look sloppy as gently caress. Like they've entirely checked out having won the Calcutta cup.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Such poo poo passing.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

gaaahhh

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Scotland is killing themselves with inaccuracy

Jesus just make the pass

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

How the balls is that not a double move? Held by gilchrist then jumps 3ft forward.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

How the balls is that not a double move? Held by gilchrist then jumps 3ft forward.

If he was held it should be a penalty try for coming in at the side to get at him and pulling down the maul. I think Barnes just let the try stand.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Mrenda posted:

If he was held it should be a penalty try for coming in at the side to get at him and pulling down the maul. I think Barnes just let the try stand.

That's assuming he came from the side. It'd never be a penalty try even if he did. Just a penalty and a possible yellow

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Either way, Scotland shot themselves in the foot and then the face all game. Ireland were the better side by far

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Vaders Jester posted:

Either way, Scotland shot themselves in the foot and then the face all game. Ireland were the better side by far

Last week's performance by Scotland was an example of a Test where all those 50/50 tackles and speculative passes went Scotland's way but it seemed like they didn't have any luck at all today.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Just got to watch and HON THE FUCKIN LAAAAAADS

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Last week's performance by Scotland was an example of a Test where all those 50/50 tackles and speculative passes went Scotland's way but it seemed like they didn't have any luck at all today.

Not just the 50/50 passes. Probably three tries missed due to poor passing. Ireland were just better in general.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ireland were the better team today even if the passes didn't go our way.

Scotland needs to sort out its psychology with away games, if it's going to win the six nations at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

George Ford can't tackle for poo poo.