Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think there's another dimension to income inequality that ends up favouring free tuition for all, rather than needs-based free tuition. With far fewer rich students who would pay than poor students who would benefit, I'd think it possible that the administrative costs of ensuring tuition only went to the needy might surpass the revenue generated by paying students. As well, unconditional free tuition saves everybody the time that would be spent on paperwork and requesting tuition. It may even only be a few hours, but across the education system that's weeks and weeks of wasted time to prove every applicant's need.

Also, it would damage future conservatives' ability to say "job-creating families subsidize thousands of ~worthless humanities degrees~",not that that wouldn't happen regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The cost of education in our current system is crazy expensive and I think it's pretty unlikely you could find enough savings in the removal of administrative costs to make up for that.

Money that goes to universally free tuition is money that doesn't go somewhere else where it does far more good.

It's all speculative anyway of course because it's never going to happen.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Jordan7hm posted:

The cost of education in our current system is crazy expensive and I think it's pretty unlikely you could find enough savings in the removal of administrative costs to make up for that.

Money that goes to universally free tuition is money that doesn't go somewhere else where it does far more good.

It's all speculative anyway of course because it's never going to happen.

Ban all corporate sponsorship of R&D and treat it like a government VC firm where any profit is just reinvested.

We are going into deficit anyways....

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
So, how many of you continue to identify as Liberal voters now that every single one of Justins promises made in October 2015 is now broken ?

Over 60% of education dollars go to Administration or Tenure, very little of the NSRC budget actually goes to R&D. Over half of this budget went towards 3 major liberal lobby firm's, of which the municipal and federal universities were the biggest donors behind Bombardier & SNC last election. Isn't it surreal how similar Liberal cronyism mirrors Chicago style politics?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hal_2005 posted:

Over 60% of education dollars go to Administration or Tenure, very little of the NSRC budget actually goes to R&D.

What does your legal counsel have to say about your equation of tenure with a lack of research?

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Hal_2005 posted:

So, how many of you continue to identify as Liberal voters now that every single one of Justins promises made in October 2015 is now broken ?

Uhh, hyperbole much?

https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
In the real world there is no trade off between free education and other spending priorities, unless one of your priorities is keeping income taxes low. Plenty of European countries offer free tuition to their citizens and even to foreign nationals, and the results are highly beneficial for all involved. Increasing the universal benefits available to the public is by far the most historically reliable way to build and maintain a happy and prosperous society with a relatively even distribution of wealth.

Helsing fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 23, 2016

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hal_2005 posted:

Over 60% of education dollars go to Administration or Tenure, very little of the NSRC budget actually goes to R&D. Over half of this budget went towards 3 major liberal lobby firm's, of which the municipal and federal universities were the biggest donors behind Bombardier & SNC last election. Isn't it surreal how similar Liberal cronyism mirrors Chicago style politics?

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Which of the 60% of NSERC's budget is administration? What do you mean by "Tenure"? You mean funding for Canada research chairs, which pretty much all goes to pay for students, postdocs, sometimes equipment and travel, and basically nothing that doesn't support R&D?

What exactly do you think the Liberals have changed at NSERC over the last 100 days? Most of NSERC's funding is going to projects that were awarded while the Conservatives were in power. They literally can't divert "60%" of their funds to administration and whatever the gently caress you think tenure is.

Since you're such a lazy lying disingenuous sack of poo poo, I'll spend 5 minutes of effort to break down NSERC's budget for you:

Total $1,063,174,249
Program 1.1 - People: Research Talent $276,073,435
Sub-program 1.1.1: Science and Engineering Promotion Promotion $6,315,892
Sub-program 1.1.2: Scholarships and Fellowships $77,554,283
Sub-program 1.1.3: Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarships $43,608,026
Sub-program 1.1.4: Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships $8,551,597
Sub-program 1.1.5: Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships $3,632,637
Sub-program 1.1.6: Canada Research Chairs $118,211,000
Sub-program 1.1.7: Canada Excellence Research Chairs $18,200,000

2.3% of that is promotion, the rest goes directly to scholarships and grants for R&D.

Program 1.2 – Discovery: Advancement of Knowledge $394,168,765
Sub-program 1.2.1: Discovery Research $379,408,043
Sub-program 1.2.2: Research Equipment and Infrastructure $14,760,722

A small amount of this goes to equipment and virtually all of the rest to discovery grants to fund... you guessed it, R&D.

Program 1.3 – Innovation: Research Partnerships $369,062,488
Sub-program 1.3.1: Research in Strategic Areas $98,841,253
Sub-program 1.3.2: Industry-driven Collaborative Research and Development $141,109,980
Sub-program 1.3.3: Networks of Centres of Excellence $41,879,201
Sub-program 1.3.4: Training in Industry $27,933,431
Sub-program 1.3.5: Commercialization of Research $9,562,730
Sub-program 1.3.6: College and Community Innovation $49,735,893

I don't know what half of this poo poo is, but guess who's responsible for shifting NSERC priorities from funding basic research to "industry partnerships"? Also, that's still less than 35% of NSERC's budget. Even if this all went to "three Liberal lobby firms", you're 15% short of justifying your ridiculous bullshit.

Internal Services $23,869,561

There are 378 FTEs employed by NSERC - 172 in internal services. Let's say that's 200 employees x $100k + all of the internal services budget, which adds up to around $45M. So less than 5% of the budget goes to administration, even assuming that all of the employees outside of internal services do nothing but admin.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Beyond trashing Hal's idiocy, you'll notice that $30M to NSERC is a 2.8% increase, which is probably going be around inflation+1% this year. So while it's better than nothing, it may not make up for the Conservative cuts. Actually the latest report said 2014-15 spending would be $1.085B, so it depends on what this $30M increase is relative to. Even that 1.085B figure is basically the same level funding was at in 2011-12, so NSERC has been treading water for years now.

cowofwar posted:

I can't find the exact article I want but this covers the general idea.

http://elifesciences.org/content/5/e13323v1

The current tri-council likes to give bigwigs more money because they are basically the fox guarding the henhouse, but past scientific productivity has little correlation with future high impact productivity. So it's better to fund ten groups with $100k each than two groups with $500k each although this is what we do in Canada. There are a lot of massive post doc factories burning through huge amounts of research money while many young PIs fail to establish their labs due to the incredible competition for the smaller grants when they only need a bit. Twenty research programs is way better than one.

$100k is barely enough to hire a postdoc for 1-1.5 years, though. I don't think more $100k grants is going to solve anything other than paying for more grad students who won't be able to find jobs in their field anyways - perhaps one postdoc, but hardly anything more beyond that.

What Canada needs is more funding for postdocs and longer-term researcher positions (5-10 year contracts), which barely exist outside of a few national labs. It's also stupid that the NSERC PDF can go towards paying for Canadian graduates to top up their external grants in the US and Europe. What's the point of that? I can't think of any other national postdoctoral funding program that pays their promising graduates to work outside of the country and in all likelihood not come back.

blah_blah posted:

The tri-council system actually is a lot more equitable than e.g. what you would find in the US with the NSF/NIH/etc when it comes to grant money distribution (America sure does love financial inequality in all its forms) -- and that link is actually to the NIH. I agree that the system of large mega-labs siphoning up all the grant money is not ideal, but it's also not true that there's no correlation between prior performance and future performance. You can argue that some of it is driven by prestige and network effects, but in my field (math), top researchers generally have a very consistent trend of important results and there are relatively few one-hit wonders. The top 1% of the field almost certainly produces more than the bottom 75% combined.

Well, I think that finding is relevant for Canada, where the NSERC PDF success rate is ~15-20% at most. I assume Discovery grants are at a similar level but I haven't checked*. I don't see how you can downplay prestige and network effects if there's solid evidence that funding agencies can't actually predict future success very well. That wouldn't be so much of a problem if the success rate was 50% but that seems to be exactly what cowofwar is getting at - the low success rates mean that there's far less of a chance for promising applications lacking in prestige to make it through. The obvious solution is, well, more money. There seems to be plenty to take from the various industry "partnerships" that siphon a good third of NSERC's money. More grad students is obviously not the answer.

*actually I'm wrong, the success rates are very high, especially for renewals, but the actual grants are small.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 23, 2016

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Helsing posted:

In the real world there is no trade off between free education and other spending priorities, unless one of your priorities is keeping income taxes low. Plenty of European countries offer free tuition to their citizens and even to foreign nations the results are highly beneficial for all involved. Increasing the universal benefits available to the public is by far the most historically reliable way to build and maintain a happy and prosperous society with a relatively even distribution of wealth.

Plenty of European countries also invest far more in secondary education and below, and have secondary curricula that transition more naturally into postsecondary education than our own does. I'm not morally opposed to free postsecondary education in principle but my experience with the system makes me feel pretty strongly that it's a very poor allocation of dollars currently. I know that perfect shouldn't be the enemy of good and all that, but investing in education is rare enough as is and I think that we should really target investment there at a level where it can do the most good.

eXXon posted:

Well, I think that finding is relevant for Canada, where the NSERC PDF success rate is ~15-20% at most. I assume Discovery grants are at a similar level but I haven't checked*. I don't see how you can downplay prestige and network effects if there's solid evidence that funding agencies can't actually predict future success very well. That wouldn't be so much of a problem if the success rate was 50% but that seems to be exactly what cowofwar is getting at - the low success rates mean that there's far less of a chance for promising applications lacking in prestige to make it through. The obvious solution is, well, more money. There seems to be plenty to take from the various industry "partnerships" that siphon a good third of NSERC's money. More grad students is obviously not the answer.

*actually I'm wrong, the success rates are very high, especially for renewals, but the actual grants are small.

When I applied for NSERC PDF a few years ago the success rate was well under 10% (not getting it was probably the tipping point in me leaving academia, a.k.a. the best choice I ever made). In contrast the Discovery grant program has, as you noted, a high success rate and modest grant amounts. It's viewed in many ways as a very successful, sustainable program (whereas the PDF program was basically abandoned by NSERC for an extended period of time and only recently has grown in award size, after like 20 years of remaining constant). I think the Canada Research Chair program has mostly been a success but I'm not as sure about that.

The industry partnerships are a complete crock of bullshit and grew massively during the Conservative Party's time in power. The high prestige awards like the Vanier and Banting (which also came into existence around the same time) are overkill and a gigantic waste of money. Two mediocre students from my program, with no future in (quality) research, received the Vanier from my department, making me seriously question their selection process.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

And to end on a happy note, the BBC has a lovely eulogy of Rob Ford entitled "Why Rob Ford was a typical Canadian":

quote:

Canadian journalist Jordan Michael Smith reflects on the outrageous life of Rob Ford, the former mayor of Toronto. Was an overweight, crack-smoking loudmouth really so out of character compared to his fellow Canadians?

"Toronto's crack-smoking, hard-drinking mayor seems so, well, un-Canadian," as the Irish Times put it.

"This is Canada we're talking about, supposedly an endless land of clean water, maple trees, Mounties and French secessionists," Time magazine summarised.

But Canadians defy popular notions of all kinds.

They are among the heaviest drinkers of alcohol and smokers of marijuana in the world; they rank with the most obese and dependent on antidepressants, and they kill nearly half a million seals every year for fur.

In light of this evidence, Rob Ford isn't so un-Canadian.

Perhaps that's why many Torontonians simply didn't care about his conduct.

It wasn't that shocking to them. And it was hardly unknown.

By the time he was first elected mayor, after all, in October 2010, he had already faced charges for assaulting his wife; he had become drunk and yelled obscenities at an ice hockey game; been forced to leave an event for the Canadian armed forces because he was inebriated, and he had admitted to failing a breathalyser test - all while he was a City Council member.

The crack-smoking was a new degree of criminal activity to city residents, but it was only the latest in a long string of outrageous incidents engaged in by Rob Ford.

"They see him as a big dumb guy like them - a Rodney Dangerfield type who just can't get no respect," a University of Toronto political scientist explained.

"I'd much rather a crack addict than some Ivy League nepotistic scum any day," one of his voters said.

Ford had a less-deserved reputation for being a man of the people - he was born wealthy, his signature concern was low taxes, and he expressed contempt for women, gays, blacks, Jews, Italians, Asians, and most other people who didn't look like him.

But even if he didn't like people very much, people liked him.

Rob Ford wasn't an everyman but he played one in real life.

He drank, swore, and committed crimes while in office that should have delivered him to prison under an equal justice system.

And in all this, Rob Ford wasn't un-Canadian. He was every bit as Canadian as clean water, maples trees, and Mounties.

Well, I can't argue with that, although I am surprised to see tabloid/Sun-style terse-sentences-as-paragraphs writing for the BBC.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Helsing posted:

You know what's cheap? A barren, sterile existence that ends when you die.

:hfive:, it could be cheaper, but it's pretty awesome! I feel bad for the guys my age who are visibly unhappy and look 5 years older

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My school is paid for.

Any true-blooded Canadian can get that free university too. :canada:

Not sure it was worth it. :ssh:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
free tuition paid for by taxing the top 50% of earners more is the only progressive option

also free accomadation and living expenses based on need, make people from wealthy families pay for it or stay at home in their mansions

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Aren't Canadian universities pretty lovely anyway?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I got nothing from this budget, I'm going to vote Far Right next time

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Maybe we can convince Ted Cruz to come back when he admits defeat to trump

Or convince Ezra to run

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I love the conservatives that scream that 30 billion dollars is ~dangerous~ levels of deficit, ignoring the years that XPMSH ran 55 and 33 billion dollar deficits back-to-back.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Slightly Toasted posted:

Or convince Ezra to run

*Flash-forward to Election Night*

Levant: "... It's a trap!"

*Liberals annihilate Convervatives*

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I want Thing, so Thing should be provided to me by the government.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

I want need Thing, so Thing should be provided to me by the government.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ian Capstick was on my local commercial radio station this morning speaking for "The NDP", and he hated the budget because while he's - he actually said this - "socially liberal, [he's] actually a fiscal conservative." He believes that most Canadians most pressing need is knowing when we can get back to a surplus status.

Holy poo poo, Capstick.

(Tim Powers represented the Conservative POV [because there's only two sides/parties in Canadian politics, right?] and "totally agreed".)

gently caress "pundits".

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 23, 2016

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

blah_blah posted:

Plenty of European countries also invest far more in secondary education and below, and have secondary curricula that transition more naturally into postsecondary education than our own does. I'm not morally opposed to free postsecondary education in principle but my experience with the system makes me feel pretty strongly that it's a very poor allocation of dollars currently. I know that perfect shouldn't be the enemy of good and all that, but investing in education is rare enough as is and I think that we should really target investment there at a level where it can do the most good.

When I applied for NSERC PDF a few years ago the success rate was well under 10% (not getting it was probably the tipping point in me leaving academia, a.k.a. the best choice I ever made). In contrast the Discovery grant program has, as you noted, a high success rate and modest grant amounts. It's viewed in many ways as a very successful, sustainable program (whereas the PDF program was basically abandoned by NSERC for an extended period of time and only recently has grown in award size, after like 20 years of remaining constant). I think the Canada Research Chair program has mostly been a success but I'm not as sure about that.

The industry partnerships are a complete crock of bullshit and grew massively during the Conservative Party's time in power. The high prestige awards like the Vanier and Banting (which also came into existence around the same time) are overkill and a gigantic waste of money. Two mediocre students from my program, with no future in (quality) research, received the Vanier from my department, making me seriously question their selection process.

Yep, I had no chance at getting an NSERC PDF which is why I left academia too. I'm much happier where I am now and actually earn a livable wage. The success rate on those things, plus the fact that you only ever get to apply once, is really harsh. Especially for a fresh new PhD graduate. It basically seals your future. If you get one you've got a shot at doing something big and landing a faculty position; if not, good luck to you because you're going to be on soft money for a long time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Vasler posted:

Yep, I had no chance at getting an NSERC PDF which is why I left academia too. I'm much happier where I am now and actually earn a livable wage. The success rate on those things, plus the fact that you only ever get to apply once, is really harsh. Especially for a fresh new PhD graduate. It basically seals your future. If you get one you've got a shot at doing something big and landing a faculty position; if not, good luck to you because you're going to be on soft money for a long time.

Like anything, grant writing is a skill that doesn't necessarily mean you're a good student or researcher. But I think it is necessary if you want to pursue research for better or for worse. At the same time, if you can put together a proposal that hits on the current disciplinary trends and sounds sexy you have a better shot than a better student working on something more mundane regardless of if it's important or not. Short of one-on-one interviews I don't know how much grant agencies can do to improve the process but I agree that PDFs are overly harsh.

In a messed up way it may be for the best because it gets people out of academia where they might otherwise be miserable and pulling less than 20k a year teaching 3-4 classes and desperately trying to cobble enough money together to research and publish, competing for a dwindling number of tenure track jobs.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hal_2005 posted:

Did you get lost on the way to the CBC comments section or something?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/712639265524547586

RIP whoever it is :(

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Hefty update for today with plenty of discussion about the budget.

quote:

Good Wednesday morning to you.

The Liberal government tabled its first budget yesterday, chock full of ‘sunny ways.’ Best summed up as spend big and pray for growth, Finance Minister Bill Morneau’s book of numbers is promising to generate 100,000 jobs and included new money for infrastructure and targeted help for families, students, low-income seniors and the unemployed.

As our Janice Dickson reports, there were sweeping investments to help First Nations people — something Morneau singled out as one of the things he’s most proud of in the 269-page document. The government will invest $8.4 billion in First Nations and Aboriginal Canadians over the next five years, which will go toward education, infrastructure, employment and safety, among other initiatives. Ahead of his speech, the finance minister said the government’s investment is “significantly more than the Kelowna accord.”

Seniors living on small incomes will see some relief come out of all of this, including a top-up to the Guaranteed Income Supplement and funding for affordable housing. However, as our Laura Payton reports, there were no hints about what Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government has in store for Canada Pension Plan changes.

There was no need to hint about where things stand with the Privy Council Office. Marginalized under the Conservatives, it’s now set to get a $99 million increase to its budget to pay for IT security upgrades and new staff. Laura Payton has those details as well.

Overall, former Parliamentary Budget Officer Kevin Page says the budget is big on policy initiatives, but short on fiscal prudence.

The rest of our coverage includes:

One budget, 20 slides
Liberals $60 billion infrastructure program rolling out in two phases (BJ Siekierski)
Feds EI boost targets hard-hit western economies (Alan Freeman)
Budget kicks the health care can down the road (Kyle Duggan)
Liberals hope bigger immigration target boosts economy (Laura Payton)
Budget largely silent on agri-food commitments (Kelsey Johnson)
Budget proposes a climate agenda — without a carbon price (James Munson)
Budget silent on CETA compensation for dairy sector (Kelsey Johnson)
Benefits enhanced but no return yet for lifelong pensions for veterans (Janice Dickson)
Feds punt DND procurement cash to 2022, acknowledge delays (Amanda Connolly)

After years of cuts at the CBC, yesterday must have felt a lot like Christmas, with word the Liberals would follow through on their campaign promise to restore funding to the public broadcaster to the tune of $675 million. It will start with a $75-million budget boost this fiscal year and $150 million in each of the four coming years. There were cash infusions for some of the countries other biggest arts and cultural institutions as well.

The Liberals say their child-care benefit is the most significant social policy innovation in a generation. They’ll also spend billions putting roofs over the heads of Canadians.

All that said, here are a few things that weren't in the budget.

Not surprisingly, Rona Ambrose wasn't happy with where things landed. The interim Conservative leader called the government’s financial plan a nightmare scenario from a taxpayers point of view.

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair was also less than pleased, citing several key promises that weren’t being kept.

As the Globe’s Robert Fife notes, “The making of the Liberals’ first budget was driven by a strongly held view that Canada’s business class had been richly rewarded over the past decade and it was now time to put money into the pockets of struggling low-income families.” Here’s his look at how it all came together.

With the budget now on the books, Trudeau’s attention must turn to the highest court in the land and finding a replacement for Justice Thomas Cromwell. He’s announced he’ll be retiring in September.

While all eyes were on the budget, the Access to Information, Privacy and Ethics Committee voted unanimously Tuesday to invite Revenue Minister Diane Lebouthillier to appear in front of the committee along with Privacy Commissioner Daniel Therrien and Marie-Claude Juneau, privacy coordinator for the CRA. Lebouthillier will be tasked with the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) controversial transfer of 155,000 Canadian banking records to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.

Liberal MP Adam Vaughan served on Toronto city council during the tumultuous tenure of former Mayor Rob Ford — and they clashed often. Vaughan was a vocal critic, once calling Ford the "worst mayor this city has ever had.” Yesterday, however, he stood in the House to pay tribute to his old foe, lauding him as a "force to be reckoned with." The 46-year-old Ford died yesterday after an 18-month struggle with a rare form of cancer.

Here and there:
  • Question period in the House of Commons gets underway at 2:15 p.m.
  • Finance Minister Bill Morneau is the guest speaker at a post-budget breakfast hosted by the Ottawa Business Journal and Ottawa Chamber of Commerce.
  • The Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals holds a news conference to discuss the new designation (formerly known as trustees in bankruptcy).
  • Assembly of First Nations National chief Perry Bellegarde responds to the federal budget.
  • Senators Paul Massicotte and Stephen Green appear at Senate modernization committee to discuss methods to make the Senate more effective, more transparent and more responsible, within the current constitutional framework.
  • Filippo Grandi, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, discusses the changing responses to the global refugee crisis.
    Senate subcommittee on veterans affairs meets to discuss services and benefits provided to members of the Canadian Forces; to veterans; to members and former members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and their families. Appearing are: Thomas Jarmyn, acting chair, and Dale Sharkey, director general, Veterans Review and Appeal Board.
  • Health Minister Jane Philpott appears at Commons committee with department officials on Main Estimates 2016-17, mandate of the Minister of Health and Supplementary Estimates (C) 2015-16.
  • Commons transportation committee hears from Transportation Safety Board of Canada executives Kathy Fox, Jean Laporte and Kirby Jang on rail safety.
  • Graham Fraser, commissioner of Official Languages, appears at Commons committee hearing witnesses on the status of official languages in minority settings across Canada.
  • The Senate social affairs committee hears witness on the issue of dementia in our society. Appearing: Mimi Lowi-Young, Alzheimer Society of Canada, Bonnie Schroeder,
  • Canadian Coalition for Senior's Mental Health and Lynn Posluns, founder Women's Brain Health Initiative.
  • Tom Stamatakis, president Canadian Police Association, appears via video conference, at the Senate legal and constitutional affairs committee hearing witnesses on
  • matters pertaining to delays in Canada's justice system.
    Minister of International Development Marie-Claude Bibeau appears at Senate international trade committee to discuss foreign relations and international trade.
  • Gov. Gen. David Johnston and Mrs. Sharon Johnston present the 2016 Governor General's Awards in Visual and Media Arts during a ceremony.
  • Navdeep Bains, minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, provides an exclusive briefing to the Toronto Region Board of Trade on key elements of the budget and how the government plans to deliver on its ambitious agenda.
  • Lawyers for ex-premier Dalton McGuinty's chief of staff and deputy chief of staff, David Livingston and Laura Miller, appear for date-setting related to document destruction charges.

Belgian police have issued a wanted notice for a suspect after bomb attacks at Brussels' main airport and a metro station left more than 30 people dead yesterday morning. A man in a hat was one of three suspects captured on security cameras pushing a luggage trolley shortly before two blasts tore through Zaventem airport. The two other men died after setting off suicide bombs. The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack, which comes just four months after attacks in Paris killed 130 people. A second attack at the Maelbeek Metro stop an hour later was just a short distance from the European Union’s headquarters.

With the manhunt underway, anti-terror raids have taken place across Belgium. The attacks have rattled nerves across Europe, with cities heightening security in response. Brussels had been on alert since the November attacks in France, and even higher alert since Friday, when Salah Abdeslam, the main surviving suspect in the Paris attacks, was captured.

Meanwhile, Turkey has detained 13 suspects amid fears of a new attack in Istanbul.

In a speech in Havana yesterday, President Barack Obama said he had travelled to Cuba to bury the last remnant of the Cold War. “I have come here to extend the hand of friendship to the Cuban people.” He “made a full-throated plea for Cuba’s autocratic government to change, calling on President Raúl Castro to loosen his grip on the economy and political expression or risk squandering the fruits of a historic thaw.” Looking Castro’s way, Obama said there is nothing to fear from the United States, as it has no intention of imposing itself on Cuba, politically or economically.

And then they went to a ball game and did the wave.

In the U.S. nomination races, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump each easily took the Arizona primary last night, while Bernie Sanders walked away with Utah’s Democratic caucus and won with a large margin in Idaho, as well. In recent days, the race to the White House has turned into a clash over who could best deal with Islamic extremism.

In Featured Opinion this morning:

In other strange news, Sarah Palin is trying to become Judge Judy, which as Vox wisely notes, should surprise exactly no one. Turns out Saturday Night Live pretty much called this in 2008.

Finally this morning, when the sun went down in Paris last night, the Eiffel Tower lit up in a show of solidarity with Brussels, knowing all too well how the people there are feeling.

Have yourself a good day.

International

US Election 2016: Trump and Clinton win big in Arizona (BBC News)
Asian shares slip as Brussels attacks make investors cautious (Reuters)
Marine Le Pen warns of Islamic fundamentalism in wake of Brussels attacks (CBC News)
Brussels attacks: 'Two brothers' behind airport suicide bombings (BBC News)
Brazil's Rousseff says 'will never resign' in deepening crisis (Reuters)

National

Federal budget 2016: Highlights of Bill Morneau's first budget (CBC News)
Liberals deliver on Canada Child Benefit (Toronto Star)
Supreme Court Justice Thomas Cromwell to retire in September (Canadian Press)

Atlantic

Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil reacts to federal budget (CBC News)

Ontario

Rob Ford, former Toronto mayor, dead after battle with cancer (Toronto Star)
MPP Balkissoon suddenly gives up his Scarborough seat (Toronto Star)

British Columbia

B.C. mayors welcome federal budget's boost in transit funding (The Globe and Mail)
Former Liberal MLA Barry Penner named ICBC chairman (Vancouver Sun)

North

Northern Residents Tax Deduction increases, more funding for Nutrition North in federal budget (CBC News)
N.W.T. Senator Nick Sibbeston 'disappointed' expenses rejected, will keep better records (CBC News)

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

So what is the Office of Community Outreach and Counter-Radicalization Coordinater actually going to do vs. what they are supposed to do?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Was it McCallum? He looked ready to go at any time.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's Jim Hillyer.

e:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jim Hillyer.

He was 41, I guess he was diagnosed with leukaemia 8 years ago or so.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

It's Jim Hillyer.

e:

https://twitter.com/CochraneCBC/status/712647374615801857

And he had an "unexpected bone infection" last month, which just sounds painful and miserable.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I'm sure that if he's done or said anything worthy of venomous hatred someone ITT will bring it up but RIP, irrelevant Conservative backbencher. Dying at work in the wee hours, at age 41, is not high on the list of Best Ways To Go.

edit: well beaten, and with cause too.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 23, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
When I first heard I thought it was Mauril. It's still tragic and RIP

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Yeah, I would definitely not spend my last days with cancer at work. Sad.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jesus, dying when you're younger than Rob Ford was. That's not fair for anyone!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

41 with young kids, yikes!

How did he get elected with a degree from an unaccredited university though? Studying American Constitutional Law no less.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Maybe he was one of those lucky ducks who loved his job.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Frosted Flake posted:

How did he get elected with a degree from an unaccredited university though? Studying American Constitutional Law no less.

"Conservative Member of Parliament for Medicine Hat-Cardston-Warner"

That's probably why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

41 with young kids, yikes!

He was running in Lethbridge. Apparently he didn't even bother to show up to candidate meetings and debates and stuff in the 2011 election. And he won with 57% of the vote anyway.