Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

Alright I'm going to pick up a Timber Wolf. Which chassis would be a good buy for my first Timber Wolf?

Timbers are omnimechs, meaning you can steal the location hardpoints out of other models! (sometimes there's other equipment like jumpjets instead, as is the case with the -S)

The only place you can't change is the center torso.

You want any of the A C or D. Those have energy in the CT that the others don't get.

The timberprime has a ballistic in the CT, but the only thing that fits there is a machine gun and its not worth it for that.

THe -S has a jump jet in there instead, but most of your builds will use the Left Torso from the -S - it has really good hardpoints and 2 jumpjets - so owning/buying the S only matters if you NEED max jets on that mech.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
While I hem and haw over which Timber Wolf to buy (Probably the C at this point,) I've been messing with the other Trial mechs. The Jagermech has been really fun, actually. Having the one single Gauss Rifle gimmick can be fun at nailing exposed parts, and since I only have 1 weapon type to worry about the charge-up mechanic doesn't throw me off.

What other mechs play well with a Gauss (or PPC) only loadout? I like being certain that my shots will land at the same place, and first instantly, so I can fire and then immediately start backing up/side-shielding.

Edit: This also applies to other weapons that do all their damage in a single instant. AC/20s are super fun for instance. I'd like a little more range though...

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 1, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

While I hem and haw over which Timber Wolf to buy (Probably the C at this point,) I've been messing with the other Trial mechs. The Jagermech has been really fun, actually. Having the one single Gauss Rifle gimmick can be fun at nailing exposed parts, and since I only have 1 weapon type to worry about the charge-up mechanic doesn't throw me off.

What other mechs play well with a Gauss (or PPC) only loadout? I like being certain that my shots will land at the same place, and first instantly, so I can fire and then immediately start backing up/side-shielding.

Edit: This also applies to other weapons that do all their damage in a single instant. AC/20s are super fun for instance. I'd like a little more range though...

You can fit dual gauss on a jager (as you can see on the champion variant), but gauss also works perfectly with ppcs.
charge gauss - shoot ppc - release gauss for synchronized impact.
You can also make Clan ERLL lasers synch up with gauss if you fire them at the same time, the gun charges while the beam burns the target, and when the duration is over the gauss is ready to be fired.
Also you can simply tap the button to fire only lasers without charging the gauss.
Although it is known lasers do more damage the harder you press the button, especially in a you-or-me-buddy scenario.

Theres a quad or quintuple ppc build for mauler or awesome, cant remember, but chainfiring ppcs is kinda meh. 2x2 is good damage but you need extended cooldown periods after each salvo.
Medium pulse lasers with duration quirks are near instant too.
In the ballistic department, IS autocannons deliver instantly, clan side youre stuck with LBX type and gauss.
SRM missiles are in that boat too.

Dont fret too much about the timber wolves, you will need 3 anyways to elite them, and you need to elite them to get the double basics, especially the heat ones.
The C is a solid choice, and one day we will be able to fire 3 large lasers without ghost heat , which will enable 3 nose mounted LL with 4 Meds in the arms.
The S comes with an awesome right torso, the A has the best left torso and the prime has good arms.
You will probably end up buying an omnipod separatly here and there, so you really only have to worry about center torso at this point.
The S has a built-in non-removable jumpjet, which is a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Also you can read lots of words about timberwolves here: http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/clan-master-guides/timber-wolf/

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 1, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I sprung for the C since I wanted both the Ballstic in the arm for maybe an AC/20 gimmick brawler Timber as well as a balanced set of Omnipods to start with that I can mess about with.

Anyone got suggestions for Timberwolf C-pod only builds?

As far as fast firing stuff I looked the quirks up here (http://snafets.de/mwo/quirks.htm) and there are quite a few interesting mechs. How do people recommend mech purchasing? Because of faction warfare I heard that you want to get a single stable of Clan or IS mechs, depending on your group's allegiance. HIGBY which I joined a long while back doesn't seem to have anyone in it nor any active contracts so I'm not quite sure what to do at the moment, but my 1st purchase was the Timber Wolf C. I've got 3 Atlases, one of which I purchased through bad decisions long ago (Founder's Pack) and one was a loyalty reward and one was bought so I could eventually master the mech. I've also got the Loyalty Centurion.

Should I get a set stable of IS or Clan mechs first? Or pick some chassis I like and buy 3 versions of them so I can start mastering them? Or not give any fucks and just start cherry picking the mechs that seem interesting and fun to me?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
For loving around you can try TBR-C, i find Timbers (or clan omnis in general) dont run too well on "pure" chassis builds. Their main strength is combining to find *your* optimum setup.

Depending on the mech, 3 chassis for elite is either mandatory or not an issue at all. Timbers id recommend getting 3, absolutly. Laserboats usually need those double heat basics, ballistic platforms not so much. Still, double basics are nice for every mech, some profit more of them than others though.

Keep in mind that dropship tonnage may change unexpectedly, so you might find your carefully selected 250ton dropdeck invalid by 5 tons tomorrow.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

For loving around you can try TBR-C, i find Timbers (or clan omnis in general) dont run too well on "pure" chassis builds. Their main strength is combining to find *your* optimum setup.

Depending on the mech, 3 chassis for elite is either mandatory or not an issue at all. Timbers id recommend getting 3, absolutly. Laserboats usually need those double heat basics, ballistic platforms not so much. Still, double basics are nice for every mech, some profit more of them than others though.

Keep in mind that dropship tonnage may change unexpectedly, so you might find your carefully selected 250ton dropdeck invalid by 5 tons tomorrow.

drat. That's a lot of money to save for chassis variants before I can muck about with other 'mechtypes at all. :(

Is it that vital that I go for them immediately now? Aargh. Putting together a dropdeck...I'm just not going to care too much about that now. If I need to I'll fill in space with trial mechs. It doesn't even matter too much since I haven't seen any HIGBY people on anyways. :negative:

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

You don't have to get double basics immediately. Play around and decide what Mech and fighting style you like, then you can focus on it.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 1, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

drat. That's a lot of money to save for chassis variants before I can muck about with other 'mechtypes at all. :(

Is it that vital that I go for them immediately now? Aargh. Putting together a dropdeck...I'm just not going to care too much about that now. If I need to I'll fill in space with trial mechs. It doesn't even matter too much since I haven't seen any HIGBY people on anyways. :negative:

2 Timbers make a good 150ton start for a clan dropdeck though, filled up with a cheetah and a crow.
And yes, timbers are loving expensive but you will learn to know why.

You dont need to elite immediatly, as Ardlen said, but at some point you should.
Better find out first which mechs you really really like, and go for those.

e: if youre aiming for an IS dropdeck, i think theres worse starter choices for the current tonnage than 3 warhams and a cicada.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 1, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Someone needs to set the contract for WoL.

Eatpants was lying to me again.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yolomon Wayne posted:

poo poo, I reinstalled only recently so I had no idea how often these were adjusted, googling makes it sound like there was a change every two months or so.

Have :pgi: stated if they intend this to be a regular thing to "shake up the metagame", or if they hopeto eventually sometime hit the numbers that are just right and keep them that way?

(Not that their stated intentions matter too much, even if they had them. Company's still employing Inouye it seems.)

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's not that regular of a thing, they just monkey with it whenever one side whines about the other being too OP to Russ on twitter. The values don't change that much, the lowest they've ever been is 240 and the highest was 260, and it looks unlikely that they will ever go below 240 at any point.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Lol.what loving retarded idiot cretin thought that Long Tom was a good idea?

"Hey lets randomly oneshot kill 3-4 guys running 75kph every 2 minutes, that makes for some fun gameplay!"

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Lmfao, 3 of 4 mechs oneshot in full run ranging from 65 - 85 kph.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
i have been just raw dogging enemy pilots with tbr or ebj consisting of small las or pulse and dual lbx 10

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Can DUIintheSKY get an invite to Word of Lotax by chance. I have a case of beer and the whole night to myself so would like to find some goons to play with if I could. Thanks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ardlen posted:

You don't have to get double basics immediately. Play around and decide what Mech and fighting style you like, then you can focus on it.

They made them less vital in a patch a little while back, which was an improvement

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Can DUIintheSKY get an invite to Word of Lotax by chance. I have a case of beer and the whole night to myself so would like to find some goons to play with if I could. Thanks.

Just jump in the mumble

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

sebmojo posted:

Just jump in the mumble

I have an old mumble marked as 'mechs' which appears to be a Goonfleet gaming mumble...if that's the right one then I'm there.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Is the address @ goonrathi, or a different one? the current one's in the MWO unit chat MOTD if you need to double check it. I see people on, but not you.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I'm not in unit which is why I was asking for an invite :(

Edit: It's an @goonfleet

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Iiiiii may have assumed that request got filled already. Just got back, etc.

Lemme take care of that now.

mumble mumble.goonrathi.com, pass mellon

Edit: unit sent, social tab to accept.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 1, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is HIGBY even a Goon unit? I see a lot of goons in the unit roster but there's no mumble information and it's awfully quiet in there at the moment. If it's not active I may try to leave and join one of the two units in the OP.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Wasn't Higby's Heroes one of the Planetside 2 goon units? I faintly remember that I think.

Edit: Thanks TheParadigm I'm on now :)

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 1, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Wasn't Higby's Heroes one of the Planetside 2 goon units? I faintly remember that I think.

It was but I guess a bunch migrated to MWO? They invited me and I recognized a bunch of names so I joined but that was a long time ago and I dunno if it's still really kicking.

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...

Artificer posted:

Is HIGBY even a Goon unit? I see a lot of goons in the unit roster but there's no mumble information and it's awfully quiet in there at the moment. If it's not active I may try to leave and join one of the two units in the OP.

Edit: Thanks TheParadigm I'm on now :)

Yeah there were a bunch of us from Higby's Heroes that started playing MWO so we made our own unit rather than try to get everyone into one of the established units. We're around, not sure how you got invited if you weren't in our mumble already.
We're around shootin robits but not as often as we used to.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
WOL and GIRL are the only actual goon units that are playing.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
PUGS is basically lousy with goons.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

OK what in the gently caress is this bullshit about putting 10 heat sinks on a mech? I bought a Locust to put MGs and a large pulse on and I can't run it because it needs 10 heat sinks on board? This heap is only 20 tons why the gently caress would I waste 5 tons on heat sinks? Please tell me there is something I'm missing here and I don't need to literally run 10 heat sinks on this thing.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

OK what in the gently caress is this bullshit about putting 10 heat sinks on a mech? I bought a Locust to put MGs and a large pulse on and I can't run it because it needs 10 heat sinks on board? This heap is only 20 tons why the gently caress would I waste 5 tons on heat sinks? Please tell me there is something I'm missing here and I don't need to literally run 10 heat sinks on this thing.
You literally need to run 10 heat sinks on the thing. On all the things really, it's a minimum requirement.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

liquidfire posted:

PUGS is basically lousy with goons.

Where does pugs reside as far as speaky stuff.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Bentai posted:

You literally need to run 10 heat sinks on the thing. On all the things really, it's a minimum requirement.

What in the gently caress kind of design decision is that? It has 1 EM slot. Why the hell would it ever need 10 heat sinks under any circumstance? That's gimping a mech already gimped because of weight for zero reason.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

What in the gently caress kind of design decision is that? It has 1 EM slot. Why the hell would it ever would it need 10 heat sinks under any circumstance? That's gimping a mech already gimped because of weight for zero reason.

:pgi: exists for a reason.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

:pgi: exists for a reason.

Holy poo poo they might be worse than war gaming

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What in the gently caress kind of design decision is that? It has 1 EM slot. Why the hell would it ever need 10 heat sinks under any circumstance? That's gimping a mech already gimped because of weight for zero reason.

It's a battletech thing. Every engine comes with 10 heat sinks. However, every engine smaller than a 250 doesn't have enough space to mount it natively. PGI couldn't figure out how to give free heat sinks, so they reduced the weights of smaller engines by the number of heatsinks you have to put on and then made you buy heatsinks to outfit the mechs.

The 10 heat sink thing is totally a battletech issue, but the implementation is all :pgi:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

It's a battletech thing. Every engine comes with 10 heat sinks. However, every engine smaller than a 250 doesn't have enough space to mount it natively. PGI couldn't figure out how to give free heat sinks, so they reduced the weights of smaller engines by the number of heatsinks you have to put on and then made you buy heatsinks to outfit the mechs.

The 10 heat sink thing is totally a battletech issue, but the implementation is all :pgi:

Ok...then why the hell doesn't clicking the DOUBLE HEAT SINK upgrade automatically move the engine from 5 standards to 10 total as 5 doubles? Unless it's literally :pgi:

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 2, 2016

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, the idea is from the tabletop game, where the ten heatsink thing was to make sure your fusion engine could run. In MWO, it's sorta... eehhhhhh. We have gone back and forth with them about this but they will not change or remove the minimum.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Great...so I just wasted...~5 million+ in credits to run a 4MG and 1 large pulse laser Locust that is impossible to build. God loving dammit.

Edit: OMG I have to physically have 10 heat sinks in the mech no matter what. Why in the gently caress do double heat sinks not count 2:1?

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 2, 2016

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Great...so I just wasted...~5 million+ in credits to run a 4MG and 1 large pulse laser Locust that is impossible to build. God loving dammit.

Edit: OMG I have to physically have 10 heat sinks in the mech no matter what. Why in the gently caress do double heat sinks not count 2:1?

Jesus you're so loving salty just take the machine guns off it, they're garbage anyway.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Random Number posted:

Jesus you're so loving salty just take the machine guns off it, they're garbage anyway.

This is what I wanted. Locust Build Removing 1 MG isn't going to get me to 10 heat sinks. This build will be nearly impossible to over heat and pulling 1 MG won't even come close to putting 10 heat sinks on it. You'll excuse my annoyance since 5 million C bills is still quite a big investment for me AND this poo poo isn't spelled out when you build the mech in the loadout screen unless you double click the red thing in the middle'ish left corner. There's no 'THIS poo poo WILL NOT WORK' prompt prior to clicking save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Oh, poo poo. I see your problem.

Go down to a halfton of MG ammo.

Wait. that engine.

Hold on, lemme help you unfuck this. Are you like, actually on and in mechlab now?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 2, 2016

• Locked thread