Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Jesus, the game is INSISTENT that I go with a physical fire team. Which I'd love to if I had, y'know, a Boostga that would fit into that somewhere...

Total haul: 5/33, no dupes

Draw 1: 1/11, Sarah SSB
Draw 2: 2/11, Rinoa SB, Edea BSB
Draw 3: Sabin BSB, Yda BSB

Both of these last two BSBs seem relatively on the same level as far as power but I'm going to check that spreadsheet that was posted a bit ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
How are Raijin and Freya'a BSBs? I know Raijin's best in situations where you can max his CMD2, but it seems pretty good in general? Enelement, decent multiplier, and off-heals.

Freya's seems pretty good, but definitely no Kain.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
BSB Lucky Draw! Let's do this and... 1/11 and it's a dupe. :smith:

Grand Wizard Wakka grins at me thinking that having a 6* relic will finally be enough to get him off the bench.
Sorry, buddy, I just don't agree with your politics.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Dupe Hamelin and Leon Burst/11

Total is 4/33:
-Vanille Burst
-Lightning Unique
-Dupe Eiko Burst
-Leon Burst

hey 4/33 buddeh!

Lucky 1: Cloud Staff (XII)

Lucky 2: Edea's Valkyrie (VIII), Flame Staff (IX)

Lucky 3: Shura Gauntlets (III)

This was not a bad way for me to go 4/33. I'm okay with it. I think getting three 5* in my last 5 dollar pulls also helps mitigate the sting.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

IllegallySober posted:

Jesus, the game is INSISTENT that I go with a physical fire team. Which I'd love to if I had, y'know, a Boostga that would fit into that somewhere...

Yeah I'm being pushed that way too. Recently I've gotten two imperils (Balthier SSB, Thancred BSB), and a shitload of fire heavy attacks (Terra's Tiara/BSB, Vivi BSB, Refia BSB). time to be creative and figure out a way to make 5 fire attackers work!

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

2 SPOOKY posted:

How are Raijin and Freya'a BSBs? I know Raijin's best in situations where you can max his CMD2, but it seems pretty good in general? Enelement, decent multiplier, and off-heals.

Freya's trades the Enelement off Kain for the ATK/DEF break. Doesn't add much damage, but it's a great tool for dealing with ATK piercing (I used mine in the FFII Black Knights Apocalypse, even if the Random Target is a little finnicky.) She does has a dive designed for Sky High though, with 3% Wind damage up, 3% Spear damage up, and 9% Dragoon damage up.

Weirdly enough, Sky High is technically weaker then Lightning Dive (with no other Dragoons in the sky).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

2 SPOOKY posted:

funny you should mention Kain, since her commands are very similar to his - basically just a different element. On entry she hits 8 random and breaks atk/def in exchange for his 4 AoE and Enlightning. It's pretty good overall.

EDIT: Sky High is really only worth it if you have a dragoon enwind

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 24, 2017

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Pulled Fujin and Master BSBs. Two characters I gave zero shits about, but hey, not dupes at least. I am never going to get that goddamn Abel's Lance. :argh:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Jedi425 posted:

Pulled Fujin and Master BSBs. Two characters I gave zero shits about, but hey, not dupes at least. I am never going to get that goddamn Abel's Lance. :argh:

Fujin's BSB is stupidly good though.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
Holy crap that Physical Burst Comparison link is super depressing for me. Scrolling all the way to the bottom for mine, they're mostly meh or so outdated. Outside of Vaan's (awesome) and Kain's (which is hard on abilities uses), there's nothing spectacular I have (Faris, Tidus, Cloud1, Edge, Zidane, Bartz1). By the looks of it, saving for Squall (or Tactics) is a good idea.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KPC_Mammon posted:

So is Master's actually!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I got 1/11 but it was Fujin's BSB and I am OK with that. With Zack's imperil and Sazh's boost/faithga, that's a pretty solid mixed wind team.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

My Burst Lucky was... not. 1/11 PCecil's burst. I have all the holy team members I need, he can go sit in the corner.

Mostly posting this so I can quote when I go PCecil/11 on the Ultros.

Edit:

Total for lucky banners: 4/33
PCecil BSB
Bartz Cloak (Dupe)
Penelo Holy Rod (Dupe)
Ysh's BSB :getin:

Oryp fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 24, 2017

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Philouza posted:

Holy crap that Physical Burst Comparison link is super depressing for me. Scrolling all the way to the bottom for mine, they're mostly meh or so outdated. Outside of Vaan's (awesome) and Kain's (which is hard on abilities uses), there's nothing spectacular I have (Faris, Tidus, Cloud1, Edge, Zidane, Bartz1). By the looks of it, saving for Squall (or Tactics) is a good idea.

I didn't realize getting Refia and Zell BSBs meant I'm basically king of the world if I wanna go full monk.

Too bad the only realms where this is feasible for me based on RS are VII, VIII, and VI (yay daggers).

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So with the excitement of this last lucky winding down that brings my total haul to 8/22. I skipped the Medica Lucky because I had 6 dupes on it and have way too many white mage stat sticks as it is.

Luneth BSB
Kain BSB
Ashe BSB
TG Cid BSB
Rikku BSB
Penelo BSB
Master BSB
Paine SSB

Now bring on the anniversary banners I'm ready to drown in first world problems!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Charles Bukowski posted:

This guys been playing for less than a month fyi. LOOK AT THIS PULL!

What's this about? I have too and have yet to get a pull like this. :(

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Got cloud cycle, Gilgamesh bsb, and Edwards bsb.

Lamia harp looks great, does it make Edward worth running in a holy team?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

xedo posted:

Yes. Only problem is it doesn't come with a hastega.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

KPC_Mammon posted:

Good to know, though, I'll probably add her on my wind team when I can be assed to level her up.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

xedo posted:

I like it. I've got Edward running in my physical A-Team currently, and I'm lucky enough to have Onion Knight providing haste for the group. I don't even need Ramza with that setup, and I can have Cecil and/or Agrias go to town with holy damage.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I got 3 bursts, one dupe. The dupe was bartz, which I guess will make a nice combine then.

I got Cecil's paladin force, which means I'll get it again as a dupe from the ultros select banner. It'll help my physical ffiv team a good bit, all I had was kain before and cecil with his unique sb. Now I feel I'm fairly competitive in that realm, which is pretty sweet!

Last bsb was sarah's, which is my first bsb medica! It's super nice since I was missing a medica for that realm as well. All in all, good pull. I'd do it again, but I can't.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I got Rikku's, RedXIII's, and Master's BSBs. None were dupes but I am not particularly thrilled with any of them

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Philouza posted:

On the other hand, almost all bursts are cool so don't be down friend :unsmith:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I got three bottom tier BSBs on the bsb lucky but I don't care because I got three top tier BSBs on the enelement lucky.

I was really hoping for a medica bsb for my mage team. Most of the upcoming banners with medica bsbs also have dupes, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to pull for one.

Edit :

Jedi425 posted:

Good to know, though, I'll probably add her on my wind team when I can be assed to level her up.

She is really good on mage teams due to the additional stacking res/something else debuff and fast cast speeds.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 24, 2017

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I got Rikku's, RedXIII's, and Master's BSBs. None were dupes but I am not particularly thrilled with any of them

Master's is one of the best for non-elemental physical DPS, even if it makes him a little fragile. Last Stand is a nice status effect too.

Rikku sorta depends on if you have other Water SBs, but the Mug ATK/DEF command gives Rikku some extra ATK and Rikku has an amazing support ability set to work with (Dancer 5 for debuffs, Bard 4 for Protectga/Shellga songs, Machinist 5 for Status Effects, Thief 5, Celerity 5, Sharpshooter 4 (5 in Japan))

Red's DEF and RES commands aren't the best, but they do have reduced cast time, and if you have a good Hastega to pair with Red's ATK/MAG buff he'll make a nice support.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 24, 2017

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

KPC_Mammon posted:

(Fujin) is really good on mage teams due to the additional stacking res/something else debuff and fast cast speeds.
Entry is -MAG/RES AoE, command 2 is -RES single-target. Super good!

Looking ahead, Malach's entry is also -MAG/RES but random target and no debuffs on the commands.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I went 6/33:

Exdeath unique
Yuna SSB2 (dupe)
Penelo SSB
Jecht BSB (dupe)
Princess Sarah BSB
Leila BSB

Could be worse, but an underwhelming start. Hopefully my luck turns around during the festival proper. If I can get Platinum Sword or Onion Gauntlets with my free pull tonight, it'll be a fair trade.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005

triplexpac posted:

On the other hand, almost all bursts are cool so don't be down friend :unsmith:

Isn't that the truth. I think it'd be awesome to be a fairly new player and the results of 3 lucky draws and the anniversary choice changing your team completely.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Grozz Nuy posted:

If I can get Platinum Sword or Onion Gauntlets with my free pull tonight, it'll be a fair trade.

Exactly what I'm looking for, too.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ultimate Emperor ++ is ruining my day due to the dispel + slow + massive aoe damage.

I've tried holding off on wall until after he hits 70%, but he does enough damage to one shot people even with shellga/protectga/full break/magic breakdown with one of his single target abilities. He also follows up slowga with a double AoE that kills everyone.

Native wall doesn't cut it. I think I need to either RW a bsb that can stack more mag debuffs or wall to supplement my native wall once it is dispelled.

Does anyone have any setups they recommend?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

is the Ultros thing tonight?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

every time i see someone lament over not having a platinum sword yet i'm filled with a sense of both smugness and guilt (which i will now call "smuilt") over the memory of me pulling four of the things off the very first banner it arrived on.

edit: and this was before guaranteed 5* too

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 24, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Yup

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Nihilarian posted:

Starts at the daily changeover (so 1 AM PDT) just like the luckies. 24 hours only like the luckies as well.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I think i did pretty okay and got some more tools to use.

I don't think i got any dupes either so thats nice too.

Eiko bsb, firion bsb, tg cid bsb, basch bsb, porom hastega/medica, balthier ssb enfire, and rosa mblink/medica which gives me 4 sbs for rosa including her bsb.

I now have at least 4 medica bsbs...eiko, vanille, rosa, and aeris.

Looking forward to the free pull.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

every time i see someone lament over not having a platinum sword yet i'm filled with a sense of both smugness and guilt (which i will now call "smuilt") over the memory of me pulling four of the things off the very first banner it arrived on.

edit: and this was before guaranteed 5* too

I pulled it as I was limping with 5 myth pulls as the banner drew near its end.

I went like 11/40 on the banner with that plat sword, 4 kaiser shields, 2 spellbinders, grand armor, an ice rod, and two off banner items (al-bhed jumper and gaia gear). Good times. Favorite pre-G5 banner ever.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pander posted:

I went like 11/40 on the banner with that plat sword, 4 kaiser shields, 2 spellbinders, grand armor, an ice rod, and two off banner items (al-bhed jumper and gaia gear). Good times. Favorite pre-G5 banner ever.

i pulled twice: 2 platinum swords the first time, 2 more platinum swords, a defender for agrias, and ovelia's staff. it's burned into my memory because of how phenomenal those pulls were when you could go 0/11

edit apparently not because it was tailwind not ovelia's staff lol

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 24, 2017

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

KPC_Mammon posted:

Ultimate Emperor ++ is ruining my day due to the dispel + slow + massive aoe damage.

I've tried holding off on wall until after he hits 70%, but he does enough damage to one shot people even with shellga/protectga/full break/magic breakdown with one of his single target abilities. He also follows up slowga with a double AoE that kills everyone.

Native wall doesn't cut it. I think I need to either RW a bsb that can stack more mag debuffs or wall to supplement my native wall once it is dispelled.

Does anyone have any setups they recommend?

Here's what I did (tl;dr version- go slow & build SB gauge, don't use hastega off the bat, save it for after the dispels):

Equip someone with haste spell (I had mine at R3 and 6 uses was plenty). Instead of using one of your hastega SB/abilities at the start of the fight, just haste a few people, particularly those who need to build up SB. Go slowly through the first phase, building plenty of SB gauge. Once you get close to 70%, recast SG (I am pretty certain the dispel he has does not dispel SG), and nuke the poo poo of him. Have your shellga user on standby to recast it immediately after the dispel. Use your hastega just a second or two after the dispel and it should go off almost immediately after his slowga. Rinse and repeat for the second phase transition which should happen immediately after he casts holy if you nuked him directly from 70% to less than 50%. Then just go to town with your soulbreaks since the rest of the fight is a damage race.

If you have a magic blink, use it immediately after each dispel and it will block his big scripted AOE magic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Belgian Waffle posted:

BSB Lucky Draw! Let's do this and... 1/11 and it's a dupe. :smith:

Grand Wizard Wakka grins at me thinking that having a 6* relic will finally be enough to get him off the bench.
Sorry, buddy, I just don't agree with your politics.

His relics can be used by better characters, like Tidus, anyways.

Philouza posted:

Isn't that the truth. I think it'd be awesome to be a fairly new player and the results of 3 lucky draws and the anniversary choice changing your team completely.

One of the best things about BSBs is that they cut down on your skill honing needs tremendously. The physical team I run all carry Lifesiphon plus some other skill, like banishing strike or full break or protect/shellga since once they activate a BSB it's just command murder from there on out.

I really wish Alphinaud could use Wrath, though. Since he otherwise would have to pick between Deployment Tactics or his BSB.

(I pulled OK gauntlets earlier though so now he gets to just BSB and kill poo poo when I have OK come along in a magic party now. :toot:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Pander posted:

Ha, same sort of deal with me. I got 2 Kaisers, one ice rod, then I kept scrambling to get 5 mithril for individual pulls. I got my Platinum Sword just under the wire since I wouldn't have time to build up enough for another pull. Totally worth it.

• Locked thread