Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A few of them. Turn A has the protagonist just find it in a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Unicorn was perfectly watchable, but the whole bit about using the psychic energy of everyone on earth was a bit much. But so was the betrothal to a little girl and the dude with the harem. Ick.

Admittedly I've only seen IBO and Unicorn, does every Gundam series involve the pilot somehow being gifted their Gundam by luck or destiny like it's loving Excalibur?

No but it's quite common trope.Amuro in char's counterattack is given the gundam since it's personally tuned to him and he helped design it. Shinn from destiny is a regular recruit given the impulse gundam since he did well in pilot school In .Gundam 00 Celestial Being assigns the gundams to particular pilots.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, some of them just have it, but Gundam's more often than been stories about wartime where pilots do just fall into Gundams in the middle of a massive attack on their home and have to fight their way out of it or die. The very first Gundam starts this way and it's a recurring thing in a good amount of them, but some are definitely just piloting their Gundams from the start or aren't complete rookies. Unicorn uses a lot of elements from UC Gundam where a lot of that poo poo happens (Also because it's set in it) and the story in general is kind of a love letter to it. I love Unicorn despite all of its problems, but I only watched the OVAs so idk how the TV series looks, it's probably about the same.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like it more the first season. And find it pretty cool.

As someone who enjoyed season 1 of IBO, taking the focus off of the Orphans for half of the story, having a bunch of characters who get no real conclusive end to any of their storylines or have ones started only to unceremoniously end in lame ways is lovely. So is this loving horseshit faction dispute between Teiwaz and one of these idiot co-leaders who just gets introduced in season 2 is loving dumb too and so is making him the focus of like a third of the show just so he gets chumped. McGillis also becomes an idiot on top of that too instead of anything resembling the competent schemer he was in S1, and the ending is absolute loving garbage since it resolves nothing and vindicates the villain.

It says a lot that one of the most stupid things to happen in Season 2 ended up being one of the less idiotic things and was handled better than the actual multiple storylines Season 2 tries and fails to tell well or with any satisfying conclusion.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Captain Baal posted:

idk how the TV series looks

Like the insides of my eyelids.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can only imagine how boring Unicorn gets in 20 minutes bursts, and not 1 and half long beautifully animated music videos

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

IBO sucked but I hear a lot of the characters I hated died in 2 so that should be fun

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Captain Baal posted:

I can only imagine how boring Unicorn gets in 20 minutes bursts, and not 1 and half long beautifully animated music videos

It doesn't help that I don't think any effort was put into editing unicorn at all.

Literally every episode begins with a lengthy recap despite not really needing it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Unicorn was perfectly watchable, but the whole bit about using the psychic energy of everyone on earth was a bit much. But so was the betrothal to a little girl and the dude with the harem. Ick.

Admittedly I've only seen IBO and Unicorn, does every Gundam series involve the pilot somehow being gifted their Gundam by luck or destiny like it's loving Excalibur?

I'd say IBO is pretty low on the Excalibur scale, honestly, at least as far as Mika's concerned.

He's the most effective pilot in a PMC that owns a Gundam, so in a desperate situation his CO has him pilot the Gundam. Since they keep getting into more desperate situations, he keeps piloting the Gundam. And since he's a disturbingly effective attack dog, people start ascribing more to him, like people tend to whenever something mundane fucks everyone's poo poo up.

In other words, he's not good at killing people because he's got some deep purpose and destiny. People start thinking of him like he's got a destiny because they need to ascribe meaning to the protectors of world peace and holders of divine right having the gently caress killed out of them by an emotionally disturbed, illiterate child soldier.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 5, 2017

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
i leave town for one single loving 3-day vacation and suddenly this thread goes to poo poo and starts claiming that Gundam is somehow Good

happy loving belated 4th of July, you filthy animals

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Look if you want some fighting robot action, it's either Gundam...

Or the Megaman Cartoon from the 1990's.

There's kind of a dearth of options.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Zoids: New Century Zero was good.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Watch Turn A motherfuckers

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, there's a whole genre of super robot shows that existed before Gundam. The first Gundam was actually notable at the time for going more realistic than the giant robot shows of the day.

On an unrelated note, now that I know all the Titan spoilers, people are absolutely right in saying that the S2 ED spoils almost everything.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say IBO is pretty low on the Excalibur scale, honestly, at least as far as Mika's concerned.

He's the most effective pilot in a PMC that owns a Gundam, so in a desperate situation lhis CO has him pilot the Gundam. Since they keep getting into more desperate situations, he keeps piloting the Gundam. And since he's a disturbingly effective attack dog, people start ascribing more to him, like people tend to whenever something mundane fucks everyone's poo poo up.

In other words, he's not good at killing people because he's got some deep purpose and destiny. People start thinking of him like he's got a destiny because they need to ascribe meaning to the protectors of world peace and holders of divine right having the gently caress killed out of them by an emotionally disturbed, illiterate child soldier.
Yeah, Barbados isn't *that* special, Mika was just forged by the hardships of his existence as a space slave human refuse into the perfect killing machine

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Argus Zant posted:

i leave town for one single loving 3-day vacation and suddenly this thread goes to poo poo and starts claiming that Gundam is somehow Good

yep, you watched one full series, along with half of another one, so you can make blanket statements about the quality of a 35 year old franchise.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 6, 2017

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I've been getting Real Into Gundam for the last few months and I can confidently say: Gundam is good. It feels like a bit of a hidden gem in America right now, the way Jojo felt back in 2012.

IBO isn't the series that will lead people to take a dive and watch G Gundam so it's a total failure on that front, but I think Gundam is gonna get big in the next five years. Maybe that's just misplaced hope, though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When does Toonami get G Gundam back and the sudden massive ratings convince Bandai to nake modern kits of the Shuffle Alliance?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

G Gundam is the only Gundam I liked so far besides the Jazz movie one I showed in Dirttube last year

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I love the new Attack on Titan promo.

Reiner: "Please don't put up a fight."
Eren: *immediately tries to beat the poo poo out of Reiner with his smoldering stump-arms*

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Good, gently caress Reiner

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

justice for marco

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why is Eren so angry? He's the angriest anime boy in existence.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

He's the most effective pilot in a PMC that owns a Gundam, so in a desperate situation his CO has him pilot the Gundam. Since they keep getting into more desperate situations, he keeps piloting the Gundam. And since he's a disturbingly effective attack dog, people start ascribing more to him, like people tend to whenever something mundane fucks everyone's poo poo up.

This is a really good point. I initially saw it as just "lol he found it in the basement waiting for him" but your take makes a lot more sense.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Seeing their mom get devoured by a monster will tend to make people angry at said monsters

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I liked the start of IBO, but the more it focused on that people that weren't Mika, the worse and worse it got. McGillis is okay, but drat, that ambassador girl sucks hard and everything to do with her just drags the show to poo poo, and that was the primary focus the latter half of the season.

So unless they go back to Mars and just merc it up and the show turns into Black Lagoon with mechas, I'm not really interested.

Also, I came here to post this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfCaBd2_KqQ

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Probably Magic posted:

I liked the start of IBO, but the more it focused on that people that weren't Mika, the worse and worse it got. McGillis is okay, but drat, that ambassador girl sucks hard and everything to do with her just drags the show to poo poo, and that was the primary focus the latter half of the season.

So unless they go back to Mars and just merc it up and the show turns into Black Lagoon with mechas, I'm not really interested.

Also, I came here to post this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfCaBd2_KqQ

Kudelia has much less focus in the second season as a result of her career having actually taken off and it does indeed focus more on Tekkadan doing more mercenary work. (Also McGillis.)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/gyosone/status/883037960261615616

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Last week!

Dragon Ball Super: Gohan gives it all he's got, but it may not be enough!

Dragon Ball Z Kai: WELL, WE hosed UP REALLY BAD YOU GUYS

Hunter X Hunter: Chrollo gets a bead on Kurapika and the boys plot to get that boy. The Troupe is closing in.

Lupin III: A soccer player is being extorted by an unfortunately voiced mafia don that I actually yelled at Richard Epcar on Twitter over.

Outlaw Star: We broke out of jail, saw some tits, and got to the Leyline.

OUTLAW STAR ENDS TONIGHT

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

On an unrelated note, now that I know all the Titan spoilers, people are absolutely right in saying that the S2 ED spoils almost everything.

And yet they're SO out of context, they spoil nothing. It's great, and I have no idea what they're gonna do for the Season 3 ED. Because the only stuff they could possibly put in that one would absolutely give the game away even without context.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Eren is meant to the Avatar of All of Humanity's Hatred. He's basically if you suddenly gave an impotent Twitter troll a nigh-invulnerable meat mecha to do whatever he wanted with. With government sanctioning.

He's a monster.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Just finished watching Berserk last night and what the gently caress. I'm actually angry that show wasted so much of my time. Do the movies or new show do anything to explain the end?

Also was this show so amazing when it fist came out because there was nothing better?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

limp_cheese posted:

Just finished watching Berserk last night and what the gently caress. I'm actually angry that show wasted so much of my time. Do the movies or new show do anything to explain the end?

Also was this show so amazing when it fist came out because there was nothing better?

I think the popular opinion is that the manga is good but the anime is terribad

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

If you're not going to read Berserk there's literally no reason to engage with it because the adaptations offer absolutely nothing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Oh Snapple! posted:

If you're not going to read Berserk there's literally no reason to engage with it because the adaptations offer absolutely nothing.

This, especially since the manga has pretty great detail put into the art.

The show basically skips the first arc of the manga, which basically sets you up before the flashback to know things are gonna end on a horrific note. The old anime also doesn't show you the resolution to the god hand scene, so you basically just assume: "And then they all died. The End." :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Lupin another new Lupin series is coming. This time in France.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsterEnvy posted:

On Lupin another new Lupin series is coming. This time in France.

Turns out shilling for other countries' tourism boards is good money.

The Lord of the Rings Movies strategy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The original Berserk anime cuts a bunch of important poo poo out of the story arbitrarily (Gutts and Casca can't escape the Eclipse in the anime because the anime never introduced the person that bails them out.) It has absurdly good music but beyond that there's no reason to watch it.

The new anime is just an animation shitshow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spidey-Dude is a good dude.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spidey-Dude is a good dude.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I agree, twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

http://taima.tv/r/goonami

Goonami, once.

• Locked thread