Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011
From a few pages ago.

eviltastic posted:

Worth emphasizing that that study is about intensity of usage, which is not the same thing as measuring a cumulative impact.

If self medication were the explanation, I'd think they'd have also observed a correlation with alcohol use. They didn't.

e: you're not wrong though that this is a specific possibility that the study doesn't rule out.

The connection between cannabis and psychosis has a fair amount of evidence. The classic study is this one published in 1987 that uses administrative data to study long-term effects of cannabis use in conscripts in Sweden. They found that for heavy cannabis use at a young age (~18-20 y.o) the relative risk of psychosis was 6.0 compared to people who had never used cannabis (i.e., the risk of psychosis in heavy users was 6 times the risk in never users). The advantages of this study are that Sweden had mandatory conscription and health records are consolidated so almost all conscripts could be tracked across the study period. Additionally, people with symptoms that might be self-medicated by marijuana at the start of the study would have been captured in the medical examinations. The weakness of this study is that it used a self-report measure of cannabis use so there is surely under-reporting. That being said, it's unlikely the under-reporting is great enough that the increased risk would disappear altogether.

Telsa Cola posted:

I imagine that study is going to spur a whole lot of other studies so Its either going to be reinforced or discarded due to others finding some sorta error.

There has been quite a few studies that demonstrate the connection between cannabis and psychosis. The issue, I would see, with the study posted is that early episode psychosis caused by marijuana is considered a drug-induced psychotic episode. Most of these dissipate when use of the causing agent (in this case pot) is removed. The difficulty is getting people to stop using the drug that caused the psychotic episode. One a second or third episode happens, you are much more likely to have life-long psychosis.

Additionally, the issue of self-medication is a big problem for that case-control study cited earlier. People commonly use marijuana specifically to medicate against early symptoms of psychosis and psychosis itself. Anti-psychotic medications suck and lots of people would rather use marijuana to manage symptoms. Lastly, a diagnosis of psychosis is hard to get. People will often have a long prodromal phase before they receive a diagnosis of psychosis-not-otherwise-specified (psychosis-NOS). After a period of observation that diagnosis can then be changed to a more specific diagnosis, like schizophrenia or schizo-affective disorder. It's important to note that a single episode of drug-induced psychosis is usually not sufficient to warrant a diagnosis of psychosis-NOS.

Opioid Chat posted:

Lots of people

Yeah--over-prescription of opioids for short term pain is a big problem. My dad had his hip replaced 2 years ago. They gave him 80 oxycodone when he left the hospital. In the Netherlands you get advil and tylenol. There's no reason to think, that on average, hip-replacement pain is magnitudes worse in the USA (or in this case Canada) than in the Netherlands.

I would also assume this bill is limited to out-patient prescriptions.

Per capita opioid prescriptions in OECD countries:

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I get what you're saying and I agree, but I think "erasing Trump" can be both if you frame it right. Voting for Biden is a vote against Trump and everything he's done, but also a vote for (Biden's plan to fix the problem.)

The thing is any vote for a Dem is going to be a vote to "erase Trump". It's what do we want in addition to that.

Also, now I'm thinking of it, a one-term pledge is pretty calculated because the implication is that it's setting up an AOC run in 2024.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

What the gently caress are you even drilling at that point, other than a BB into the base of a teacher's skull?
"Hey kids, if the gunman takes 4 teachers into a locked room to execute them one by one, be sure to run in that time," is about the only thing I can think of???

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

tbf, we didn't know how much of a piece of poo poo Elizabeth Holmes was until slightly later. Although, we should have known the moment Henry Kissinger got involved.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nazzadan posted:

What the gently caress are you even drilling at that point, other than a BB into the base of a teacher's skull?
"Hey kids, if the gunman takes 4 teachers into a locked room to execute them one by one, be sure to run in that time," is about the only thing I can think of???
Someone got off on it, and everyone else was too stupid to say no.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

You can do both. He hurt education by his appointment of Betsy DeVos, the student loan crisis is worse than it's ever been and gives real hardships to people even decades out of school, he's an enemy of Obamacare, hasn't done a goddamn thing to lower RX prices like he promised, has attacked any social assistance program he can... there's a lot there.

I still think that those are a lot of things that have not had a direct effect on a large group of people that vote.

Like... take the DeVos thing. My wife is a public school teacher, I asked her how how DeVos has changed things in any meaningful way that parents would pick up on, and she said not at all. They are still teaching the same curriculum, doing the same lessons they have been teaching for the past few years. No budget cuts, pretty much things running the same.

There was a lot of hype over how she was going to bring in school choice, and vouchers, and allow families to take their tax money to charter or private schools which would gut the public education sector. Yeah, that hasn't happened, yet... All of her first year initiatives were largely ignored by congress. Her attempt to get rid of the Obama era rule to make for-profit colleges accountable for defauding students was denied by a federal judge. She hold a position where she's supposed to have influence, but needs congress to act on it, which they haven't.

So you can say things like "Betsy DeVos has hurt education!" but I don't think there are any ways that people have actually been hurt by her, yet, that it would influence their vote

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Young Freud posted:

The thing is any vote for a Dem is going to be a vote to "erase Trump". It's what do we want in addition to that.

Also, now I'm thinking of it, a one-term pledge is pretty calculated because the implication is that it's setting up an AOC run in 2024.

i mean if biden makes stacey abrams his vp, then i will feel better about swallowing the voting for Biden pill in the general(if he wins). plus if he sticks by the one term, we will have alot more progressive candidates that can run, than just bernie and warren.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: oh wait, this is primary chat, never mind

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

https://twitter.com/ISTAmembers/status/1108721763234529280

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Astro7x posted:

So you can say things like "Betsy DeVos has hurt education!" but I don't think there are any ways that people have actually been hurt by her, yet, that it would influence their vote

yeah, people think the federal government is more effective and immediate than it actually is, and this institutional slowness is actually an advantage when being subject to a smash-and-grab by an elite class of congenital thieves

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Wait how bad can a Nerf Rival hurt? This is obviously still super bad and stupid but can it break skin like the tweet said?

Missing DW-Link
Feb 14, 2019

by VideoGames

Yep, that's about what I expected.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Meanwhile NZ banned all semi-auto weapons after their latest mass shooting.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Half the people teaching these "drills" has no goddam idea what they're doing

Ours literally had a guy fire blanks outside and not tell anyone before they did it

Then we threw dodge balls at "the shooter"

...yeah

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

If you watch the video in the article, they're not using a nerf gun as gently pictured here, but a CO2 juiced pellet pistol. Those motherfuckers do hurt if you get nailed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean if biden makes stacey abrams his vp, then i will feel better about swallowing the voting for Biden pill in the general(if he wins). plus if he sticks by the one term, we will have alot more progressive candidates that can run, than just bernie and warren.

A one term pledge is electoral suicide. It's deliberately handing off the incumbency advantage and giving Republicans an open field for a post-Trump "Good Republican" neo-fascist to sweep in, except without the incompetence this time.

No responsible candidate should even consider such unilateral disarmament.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What loving scenario could this possible relate to in the infantile cop mind?

Did some pig watch the killing fields or something?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A one term pledge is electoral suicide. It's deliberately handing off the incumbency advantage and giving Republicans an open field for a post-Trump "Good Republican" neo-fascist to sweep in, except without the incompetence this time.

No responsible candidate should even consider such unilateral disarmament.

oh agreed. it think he won't win the primary. also the GOP won't find competant people, least not ones the hosed up base will vote for. all the alt right darlings are in court over poo poo and are accessories to murder, plus most of them are as dumb as trump is and less charismatic.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

USPol: Springtime for Grifter’s Insanity

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Missing DW-Link posted:

Yep, that's about what I expected.

See I get this. I would also have that expression if I was the guy who got to blast an airhorn in a school.

highme
May 25, 2001

I will cover the costs and donate $50 to the charity of your choice if you change your name to "Lima Bean".

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

gently caress.

American gun culture is so loving broken. The solution is so loving obvious, but damned if we aren't to demented by the problem to solve it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

What loving scenario could this possible relate to in the infantile cop mind?

Did some pig watch the killing fields or something?

i think the logic here is to teach teachers that armed maniacs will just shoot you if you hide, and that it is better if you fight. of course, it also teaches people that sometimes the armed maniac carries a badge and will collude with your employer to force you to hide at gunpoint, where you will then be shot repeatedly as an example

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Like the vast majority of emergency "training" active shooter drills are totally pointless exercises.

They are the very definition of "doing something"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah i really don't understand the point of these drills. you're traumatizing kids for zero benefit.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I wonder if "mock execution" is a billable line on their invoice?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

KickerOfMice posted:

If you watch the video in the article, they're not using a nerf gun as gently pictured here, but a CO2 juiced pellet pistol. Those motherfuckers do hurt if you get nailed.

someone shot me from ~4 feet away in the chest and groin with one of those, Gave me a welt through jeans and I still have a scar where it got me with just t-shirt.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Like the vast majority of emergency "training" active shooter drills are totally pointless exercises.

They are the very definition of "doing something"

When I was a maintenance dude at as school I had to do the drills where I was supposed to walk around the school on a bright green best to check red and green cards the teachers slipped under doors to tell the police if all the kids were in the classroom.

I told them this was making me and the others targets to no benefit and would also tell the shooter where people are hiding. I got in a lot of trouble for that and resolved to hide in the maintenance tunnels under the school if as shooting happened

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Meanwhile NZ banned all semi-auto weapons after their latest mass shooting.

And the ban went into effect immediately.

No, "we need to examine the issue" "now is not the time to..."

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1108752656556875776?s=19

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah i really don't understand the point of these drills. you're traumatizing kids for zero benefit.
Uh because now we don't have to worry about the problem?

They had drills Neato, drills. They're basically experts so the problem is solved forever. Jeez. Just like how we have fire drills? And now fire isn't a threat? Every argument about guns now ends with "drills". Less guns? Why: we have drills. More regulations? Didn't you god drat hear me: WE. HAVE. DRILLS.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

the ban wont actually be in effect for another couple of weeks as they examine and figure out where the laws need to be updated

Max
Nov 30, 2002

luxury handset posted:

i think the logic here is to teach teachers that armed maniacs will just shoot you if you hide, and that it is better if you fight. of course, it also teaches people that sometimes the armed maniac carries a badge and will collude with your employer to force you to hide at gunpoint, where you will then be shot repeatedly as an example

Which is stupid because literally every workplace training video places fight as the very last resort.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

But what about thoughts and prayers? Did anyone think of the thoughts? Or the prayers??

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

I'm gonna guess that there isn't a N(Z)RA funnelling quadrillions of gun manufacturer dollars into MP's pockets there.

InsertPotPun posted:

Uh because now we don't have to worry about the problem?

They had drills Neato, drills. They're basically experts so the problem is solved forever. Jeez. Just like how we have fire drills? And now fire isn't a threat? Every argument about guns now ends with "drills". Less guns? Why: we have drills. More regulations? Didn't you god drat hear me: WE. HAVE. DRILLS.

No, they're going to hand everyone drills, as in the tools, to use on the shooters.

Rrrrrrr! Rrrrrr! RRRRRRrrrrrr!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

In s battle of wits between Scott Walker and Eric Holder, I definitely know where my money is.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

sean10mm posted:

I'm gonna guess that there isn't a N(Z)RA funnelling quadrillions of gun manufacturer dollars into MP's pockets there.

no heritage of revolution to point to so that sad dough sacks of men can pretend that one day they too will brave the wilderness of valley forge to take down the liberal agenda

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

luxury handset posted:

no heritage of revolution to point to so that sad dough sacks of men can pretend that one day they too will brave the wilderness of valley forge to take down the liberal agenda

A couple of centuries on I think that's the LEAST of our problems.

It's not like there's an epidemic of pocket guillotine use in France. I mean that I know of.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

well they are hosed. Holder is a whore for bad companies but he is at least savy. this dude is just a moron who got famous for loving over teachers and looking like michael scotts mentally disabled twin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus christ

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheDemCoalition/status/1108578721697591296