Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Leon Sumbitches posted:

There was an amazing video where someone took a scene from My Dinner With Andre and had a split screen with subway surfer and some soap cutting video. It was art, but I can't seem to find it anymore. I thought it was a clickhole thing.

E: complaining about it helped, here's the link

https://x.com/Durbikins/status/1615872448250929152

Honest question: is this really a thing that helps people with ADHD or other neurodivergent issues pay attention to a movie?

Because this just seems like something someone made up as a joke to poke fun at people with ADHD

Also, that movie clip is absolutely perfect for that example of the stream layout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Honest question: is this really a thing that helps people with ADHD or other neurodivergent issues pay attention to a movie?

Because this just seems like something someone made up as a joke to poke fun at people with ADHD

Also, that movie clip is absolutely perfect for that example of the stream layout

That's how gen z consumes media now, pops

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The multiple things to pay attention to is an attempt to get you to continue to watch something even if none of the individual things are that interesting, because more watch time = more monetization.

Though I would say that it is not enormously dissimilar from a normal american news broadcast in the last couple of decades. And for similar reasons. If what matters is constant 24 hour content feeds regardless of being able to come up with actual worthwhile content, you can achieve retention by slapping as many things to pay attention to into the same space. So it's hardly a novel gen z thing.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Apr 28, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

goblin week posted:

That's how gen z consumes media now, pops

I just don't believe this.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I sometimes like to have like a podcast or YouTube video on in the background while I play a simple game but if I’m actually watching something engaging like a movie, I’ll probably be able to focus.

Although I will concede that Family Guy clips are best viewed with lovely phone game footage on the side.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

emSparkly posted:

I sometimes like to have like a podcast or YouTube video on in the background while I play a simple game but if I’m actually watching something engaging like a movie, I’ll probably be able to focus.

Although I will concede that Family Guy clips are best viewed with lovely phone game footage on the side.

I don't have adhd but I basically have youtube videos playing as background noise the entire time I'm working except during meetings or times when I need to deeply focus. And the window for the video sits next to my shell or vscode or whatever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Elephant Ambush posted:

Absolutely not. At least not me. I can’t stand subtitles for this reason as I look at the words rather than the screen. I don’t personally need subtitles so it’s super distracting to me and I’m already hella distracted

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yes, the majority of people with an actual adhd diagnosis have issues with auditory processing, especially when distracted and having some text that can help your brain make sense of it tends to help. Not everyone and not always, but it's a common thing.

johncraig
Jul 26, 2023
not buying it

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/EylonALevy/status/1784498721163452545

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
🤔
Concerning

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

What could it possibly mean.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Cleretic posted:

You know what, sometimes I actually kinda like finding out that a celebrity is just a normal type of rear end in a top hat, rather than a 'causes mass harm and believes in eugenics or something' type of rear end in a top hat.

https://twitter.com/nadiaudio/status/1784380449604956350

Hans loving Zimmer being one of those weird power users on a niche help forum is one of those.

There were parts of Dark Knight Rises where the dialogue is completely drowned out by the score. I'm no editing nerd, but it's kinda shocking how that happened in a major studio production

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

puzzling :thunk:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Yes, the majority of people with an actual adhd diagnosis have issues with auditory processing, especially when distracted and having some text that can help your brain make sense of it tends to help. Not everyone and not always, but it's a common thing.

Text is different than a whole different medium existing next to it.

I honestly think straight up if you need a whole different piece of media next to the media you’re watching to pay attention you really need some meds because whoof.
Or maybe not watch media. Some people I know just can’t watch movies or anything but games and even then it’s gotta be specific and not have a story. Whcih is fine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leon Sumbitches posted:

There was an amazing video where someone took a scene from My Dinner With Andre and had a split screen with subway surfer and some soap cutting video. It was art, but I can't seem to find it anymore. I thought it was a clickhole thing.

E: complaining about it helped, here's the link

https://x.com/Durbikins/status/1615872448250929152

Just have 2 or 3 monitors for your 'job' like a normal person.

Maybe using picture in picture to channel surf or check if commercials were over when I was 12 is why I can't stand silence now.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Text is different than a whole different medium existing next to it.

I honestly think straight up if you need a whole different piece of media next to the media you’re watching to pay attention you really need some meds because whoof.
Or maybe not watch media. Some people I know just can’t watch movies or anything but games and even then it’s gotta be specific and not have a story. Whcih is fine.

cool meds shaming, guy who spent the last 3 pages frothingly furious that tiktok exists

have you considered going outside sometimes?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CelticPredator posted:

Have you considered shutting the gently caress up instead of pretending to be a medical health professional

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

There were parts of Dark Knight Rises where the dialogue is completely drowned out by the score. I'm no editing nerd, but it's kinda shocking how that happened in a major studio production

Christopher Nolan deliberately mixes his sound like that as a stupid artistic decision.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
modern movie, tv, and game music sucks because it doesnt slap, unless it does.

but most of it doesnt slap.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Kei Technical posted:

Christopher Nolan deliberately mixes his sound like that as a stupid artistic decision.

The sound mixing of Inception ruined the movie for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

cool meds shaming, guy who spent the last 3 pages frothingly furious that tiktok exists

have you considered going outside sometimes?

How the gently caress is this med shaming. I take that poo poo. You’re more furious than I am.

If you need to have two separate pieces of media in the same frame going at the same time that’s loving wild to me. Not even two things at the same time but like that parody.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

CelticPredator posted:

How the gently caress is this med shaming. I take that poo poo. You’re more furious than I am.

If you need to have two separate pieces of media in the same frame going at the same time that’s loving wild to me. Not even two things at the same time but like that parody.

Shut up or gently caress off.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Warning: level 2 psychic damage

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

I wish you would quiet quit this thread.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

At first glance, I'd have assumed this was intended as an anti-British statement, not a pro-Israel one.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I frequently absorb multiple pieces of media at the same time, so I get that. Watching soap being cut and a video game being played aren't my thing, but I can see how that would appeal to some people, the same way I have a movie playing on one monitor and somethingawful on the other and a video game on a third.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Quiet Quitters have the substance of good workers but the accidents of malingerers.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

continue posting and contributing but not be obsequious toward management mods in ways that make them feel powerful?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

grittyreboot posted:

Already on it, do you think I'm posting at my true power?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

"“Their attitude also has an impact on colleagues who are affected by the downbeat vibe and having to pick up the slack. Post-Covid, people are definitely less prepared to start early or work late and less willing to put their hand up if there’s something extra to be done.”"

lol, lmao, rofl

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Elephant Ambush posted:

I have insanely bad ADHD and no, this poo poo makes it a million times worse because fidgeting and etc. only helps improve your attention if it's something you control, like doodling in class and it actually helping you listen better. This kind of poo poo is just soup because no matter what you're looking at there's some other abrasive poo poo you don't care about invading your ability to focus.

ADHD people generally don't like overstimulation they can't control because a big part of the disorder is you lacking the ability to consistently tune out distractions unless you've found something that turns on your hyperfocus switch and then you'll actively ignore outside stimulation so it may as well not be there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's going to sharply vary from person to person though. There's no 'people with ADHD like this', not really. Only generalities.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also from my experience the things that help are active, like fidgeting, doodling, tapping your foot, etc. not just independent crap droning on in the background that you passively consume.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've found knitting helps me pay attention to TV shows. Otherwise I'll just play with my phone and get distracted

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

HopperUK posted:

It's going to sharply vary from person to person though. There's no 'people with ADHD like this', not really. Only generalities.

ADHD people are all different but the strategies and tools that are consistently proven to help are going to be far less general.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pththya-lyi posted:

I've found knitting helps me pay attention to TV shows. Otherwise I'll just play with my phone and get distracted

Yeah thats a great example of an active way of helping focus.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Not sure why we're discussing this. CelticPredator already decided who needs meds. :jerkbag:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

ADHD people are all different but the strategies and tools that are consistently proven to help are going to be far less general.

I will often listen to the same one song on repeat all day to get through difficult tasks. I dunno if that's ADHD or just being a loving maniac but I do it.

I think I might start having subway surfers gameplay vids take up half my monitor at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Meds are good imo