Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Dread Head posted:

Once again, Dread Head delivers. That's a new addition to my favourites of your work. The colours are sensational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Dread Head posted:

Is it ever sunny where you live?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

William T. Hornaday posted:

Is it ever sunny where you live?

Ha! Yes, it was actually sunny the day that photo was taken it just happen to be taken after sunset. That said it is usually raining/cloudy all winter here (probably october to nowish). Starting to see some sun but even so, plain skies tend to be a bit boring I find, I like a few clouds to add some interest/variety.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Photos of cities can be landscapes too right?

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hotwax Residue posted:

:worship:
Nice reflection. I love that the water isn't still.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Stop making me like New Zealand so much.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

Stop making me like New Zealand so much.
It's ok, we welcome immigrants because half the population has moved to Australia :D

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I've been having a lot of fun in the forest.

. . .

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 15, 2011

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

aliencowboy posted:

. . .

Great shots, and those black boarders really bring out the cinematic quality, expecting some orcs to come running though.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

aliencowboy posted:

. . .

these are beautiful, great stuff. would love to see a full series like this in different settings.

This is a cross-post from the PAD thread. Went for a hike in the San Jacinto mountains above Palm Springs yesterday morning.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

aliencowboy posted:

. . .

You NEED to do a tutorial on your processing.

Marvin Meatbat
Mar 2, 2006
This space intentionally left blank

Thoogsby posted:

You NEED to do a tutorial on your processing.

I agree! Those pictures make we want to get my tripod and 50mm out of the closet where they are collecting dust...

Marvin Meatbat
Mar 2, 2006
This space intentionally left blank
Just got back from another trip. Glad I brought the powershot with me when we went bike riding.

Nice view from bridge by MRBWorth, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 2, 2011

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

San Pedro Sunset by xxyzz road, on Flickr

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

IMG_3012 by JEB-Stuart, on Flickr

IMG_3037_combine by JEB-Stuart, on Flickr

Morningrise by JEB-Stuart, on Flickr

Poopy
Jul 31, 2010

Auditore posted:

Morningrise by JEB-Stuart, on Flickr

This is lovely! Early morning fog is awesome.

I went away with the family for Easter to a small town just outside of Sydney, which meant I had to clone the stupid city out of the shots.
2 hours per photo later, someone reminded me of the content aware filter.

EFFYOUCITYedit by Peita Louise., on Flickr

_MG_2589 by Peita Louise., on Flickr

_MG_2502 by Peita Louise., on Flickr

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007

Burning Field by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
I went hiking to a spot with a great view yesterday... totally clear sky and sun almost directly overhead - not ideal lighting conditions. I took a bunch of telephoto shots of the distant horizon to stitch together, but they look like absolute crap. I've seen how the atmosphere will tint far-away mountains blue, but I guess the lighting conditions + extreme distance of my subject made this effect much much worse.

The colors are completely off, everything is extremely low contrast... they are probably the worst photos I've taken since owning my DSLR. Is there a trick to shooting mountain ranges like this? Do I just need to have better lighting conditions or am I missing something else?

I don't carry a UV filter anymore, would this have been a time to actually bring one along? My polarizer did nothing to help - it may have made the scene even more grey and dull.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Gambl0r posted:

I went hiking to a spot with a great view yesterday... totally clear sky and sun almost directly overhead - not ideal lighting conditions. I took a bunch of telephoto shots of the distant horizon to stitch together, but they look like absolute crap. I've seen how the atmosphere will tint far-away mountains blue, but I guess the lighting conditions + extreme distance of my subject made this effect much much worse.

The colors are completely off, everything is extremely low contrast... they are probably the worst photos I've taken since owning my DSLR. Is there a trick to shooting mountain ranges like this? Do I just need to have better lighting conditions or am I missing something else?

I don't carry a UV filter anymore, would this have been a time to actually bring one along? My polarizer did nothing to help - it may have made the scene even more grey and dull.

Was it hot out? I find heat haze will cause a lot of problems. Usually the morning is best of these types of shots as the light is better and there is less haze/smog around as it seems to build up during the day.

Some shots from today.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
in some cases, if you're doing a landscape with a lot of depth, the atmospheric effect can be fun (especially if it looks kind of layered).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Gambl0r posted:

I know exactly what you mean. As Dread Head said, your ideal time to do this will be morning. You can salvage a bit by doing some creative color mixing in photoshop, but it will only get you so far. I believe I brought down the blue channel in these a bit:

Before (I don't have lightroom in front of me, but I think this was cleaned up a little bit as well, out of the camera it was much worse):

After:

Just don't ever try to take photos from an airplane in these conditions. You will hate yourself.

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator
You know why Yosemite is one of the most photographed landscapes in the world? Cause the scenes and the light are loving awesome. I know these features have been shot millions of times. But these are mine, and only I was in this spot, at this time, shooting with this kit.

I was in Yosemite in late February, shooting with Bob Evans of Scenic Light (http://www.sceniclight.com/) for a three day workshop. Day 1 was snow, and more snow; about 15 inches worth, and made keeping the lens dry a challenge. Day 2, the wonderful variable Yosemite clouds came out. Day 3 was all sun and blue sky, and a different challenge; bright, harsh, high contrast shooting.

The full set can be viewed here:
http://phononphotography.com/p300629364

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Except for the watermarks those are very nice.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Col. Mustard posted:

But these are mine, and only I was in this spot, at this time, shooting with this kit.

Nice shots. It's always nice to find new shots, but I agree that one should never feel guilty about getting the classic shots.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Col. Mustard
Awesome Yosemite photos. I live 4ish hours from there and I have yet to visit. I think it needs to be in the cards this fall.

A couple phtoos from my Utah/Arizona road trip.

IMG_0550 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

IMG_0616 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

IMG_0641 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

IMG_0686 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Falco posted:

Col. Mustard
Awesome Yosemite photos. I live 4ish hours from there and I have yet to visit. I think it needs to be in the cards this fall.

Ever seen 127 Hours? :shudder:

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator

Falco posted:

Col. Mustard

Yeah, wait until Oct or so. The summer months there, it's just a zoo.

How did you get the sand to fall? Just dump a bucket up there? I like it!

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Col. Mustard posted:

How did you get the sand to fall? Just dump a bucket up there? I like it!

Yeah, people scoop up sand in their hands and throw it on the ledges. The low-light in the canyon allows for some nice long-exposure "sand falls."

The summer months at noon, when the sun is high over head, are the ideal time to go. I was there about two weeks before the solstice in 2006 at noon. This makes the iconic sun pillars all the more dramatic, and the extra light filtering in doesn't hurt for hand-held shots of the contours.

The guides limit the number of people per session (I forget the number, ~25?), but the tight spots are still a zoo to navigate. There's a lot of competition for tripod placement if even a quarter of the people are "photographers."

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Leviathor posted:

Yeah, people scoop up sand in their hands and throw it on the ledges. The low-light in the canyon allows for some nice long-exposure "sand falls."

The summer months at noon, when the sun is high over head, are the ideal time to go. I was there about two weeks before the solstice in 2006 at noon. This makes the iconic sun pillars all the more dramatic, and the extra light filtering in doesn't hurt for hand-held shots of the contours.

The guides limit the number of people per session (I forget the number, ~25?), but the tight spots are still a zoo to navigate. There's a lot of competition for tripod placement if even a quarter of the people are "photographers."

Yup Leviathor nailed it. The guides scoop up the sand and throw it up there. In my group alone there were 8-9 people with tripods trying to fight for space. Those of us that had tripods that could go low did so, and then had people above us.

I was there in mid March and it was still a zoo. Probably around 150 or so people in there while I was there. I still had a few light beams but not a ton. I guess the place is becoming a lot more popular in recent years.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Those are some nice lines, Dread Head.

pouch cove by scottch, on Flickr

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Col. Mustard posted:

You know why Yosemite is one of the most photographed landscapes in the world? Cause the scenes and the light are loving awesome. I know these features have been shot millions of times. But these are mine, and only I was in this spot, at this time, shooting with this kit.

I was in Yosemite in late February, shooting with Bob Evans of Scenic Light (http://www.sceniclight.com/) for a three day workshop. Day 1 was snow, and more snow; about 15 inches worth, and made keeping the lens dry a challenge. Day 2, the wonderful variable Yosemite clouds came out. Day 3 was all sun and blue sky, and a different challenge; bright, harsh, high contrast shooting.

The full set can be viewed here:
http://phononphotography.com/p300629364

Comments and critiques are welcome.

http://phononphotography.com/img/v12/p1046057384-5.jpg

http://phononphotography.com/img/v7/p862789185-5.jpg

http://phononphotography.com/img/v23/p584632557-5.jpg

http://phononphotography.com/img/v13/p1013174125-5.jpg
The first two, and maybe even the third look busy to me. I feel like a lot of times trees have the potential to look ragged and disorderly and upset the balance of an image. They draw attention with their uneven, snaking branches when the real show is on the mountain. The second also has some line issues imo, I don't know what the correct terminology is but the path the bottom of the foreground trees take across the image sticks out to me, maybe a small element that throws off the larger mood of the picture, or maybe that only bothers me. If the tree on the far left didn't exist or another on the right was there to take up snow space it would help to even it out, sometimes a certain scene is impossible to balance though. For the last I wish the light wasn't evenly distributed.

Landscapes are difficult because a lot of times when you go out hiking everything looks awesome and then frustratingly enough you try to capture that and it just does not do it justice, tons of poo poo I took looks bland, the camera is not like the eye where everything is given context and you can shift focus in an instant. :(

What do you guys actively think about or look for when you shoot landscapes? Something that would separate what you took from a what other landscape "pros" are taking for some digital photography magazine, or whatever else. I'm kinda disappointed in myself that I have an idea about what I can isolate from an image to make it look better but often don't think much about what I should be looking for. Haven't even looked at all that much landscape photography to rip-off. Then there's the other end of the spectrum where you'd want to get something, anything so you have an image to look back to when you can't remember the location so well, technical skill be damned. There's probably a middle ground...

Waiting for the weather to break here in upstate ny currently, so here's some older poo poo. Always like these because of how they were composed they make me feel a little thirsty.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 5, 2011

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Col. Mustard posted:

These are all good but would be great if you were more selective in your framing. The trees are uninteresting in the first shot, and the cliff is where the eye goes in the second. If those trees were lit by the sun it might be better, but as it stands they don't add anything. The lake photo should probably be in landscape format, there's a lot of space near the bottom that doesn't add anything. The reflection is awesome, of course, but the snow covered grass is distracting.

I'm learning more and more that less is more with most landscapes. Really look at a scene and then the photo and try to discern what really made you think "This is a photo right here." I suspect a lot of people grab a wide lens and say "the more I include the more it will make people feel like they are there" but I just don't get that feeling most of the time. Be selective.

Slot Canyon in Tent Rocks 1 by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Falco posted:

IMG_0550 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

IMG_0616 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

The best photos I've seen of these things don't include the ground at all. I think this would especially apply to 0641.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Ugh, the images on this thread make a person feel... even more amateur.

So, for content not quite so breathtaking (or timestealing... egods, 30 pages in an afternoon. Will have to go back and do a second, slower run-through), South Africa has rocks too -

stuff101-29 by sildargod, on Flickr

stuff101-28 by sildargod, on Flickr

stuff101-34 by sildargod, on Flickr

Sand is rocks too, merely smaller.

stuff101-39 by sildargod, on Flickr

stuff101-35 by sildargod, on Flickr

I suck at post, so there are sensor spots, dust on the lenses and general poor colour malarky. Must .. Learn ... Improvement!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

sildargod posted:

I suck at post, so there are sensor spots, dust on the lenses and general poor colour malarky. Must .. Learn ... Improvement!

Spot healing brush, normal/spot healing brush or clone stamp, and RGB curves. Get at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

I kinda wished I had my tripod with me. But it still looks good.

DSC_1321.jpg by JCleasy, on Flickr