Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
People seriously have no loving clue what a latte is, they just started ordering them when it became the stylish thing to do with the rise of Starbucks. I worked at an indie theater once, with a small cafe part of the concessions stand, and I poo poo you not, someone asked for a cappuccino with no foam. Why yes, I'm sure you feel all fancy and smug about ordering a cappuccino, but how about actually loving knowing what a cappuccino is before you actually order it?

(FYI, it's a latte but almost completely foam)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Our espresso machine broke today, rendering us unable to make pretty much every drink on the menu. We put up multiple signs- including one on the register itself and one on the main door to the store- but roughly every other customer tried to order something we couldn't make despite the fact that they had to pass by at least three signs in order to get to the register and were currently standing in front of a sign itself. What really blew my mind were the amount of people who would try to order an espresso based drink, receive an explanation as to why we couldn't do that and what drinks we could do, look at the menu, and ask for another espresso based drink. That and the people who were all "I want a latte/mocha" and when I explained to them that we couldn't do espresso based drinks went "Oh, I didn't know that had espresso in it!" This is 2011- even Dunkin Donuts has espresso machines- how do you not know what goes into a goddamn latte?

It surprises you that Americans don't know what goes in their food?

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 16, 2011

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
It's not suprising but it's still pretty nuts that people don't have a lick of an idea as to what they are consuming. On that note what the hell is the deal with every coffee serving establishment having a different definition of what a flipping mocha is?

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Part-Time Robot posted:

She said, "Just give him a refund. He can get the book online. Do you not want to allow him back in the store?" Manager waffled on it a bit,

Christ, this sounds like my old manager. No matter how scary or belligerent a customer became, he would not ban them from the store. This one woman tried to grab my coworker by the shirt when he entered the number from the back of her credit card (:tinfoil:) and that still hasn't enough to get her removed from the store.

I'm not suggesting that every lovely customer should be banned (commerce would screech to a halt), but why humor the ones like the guy in your story? Am I underestimating the spinelessness of retail managers again?

Yeah I am :smith:

ChirpChirpCheep
Apr 22, 2008

miscellaneous14 posted:

People seriously have no loving clue what a latte is, they just started ordering them when it became the stylish thing to do with the rise of Starbucks. I worked at an indie theater once, with a small cafe part of the concessions stand, and I poo poo you not, someone asked for a cappuccino with no foam. Why yes, I'm sure you feel all fancy and smug about ordering a cappuccino, but how about actually loving knowing what a cappuccino is before you actually order it?

(FYI, it's a latte but almost completely foam)

Ugh, cappuccinos. Whenever anyone orders a cappuccino I always ask them if they want it with a lot of foam or a little foam. This is because more than half the time they say something along the lines of "what's foam" or "what does that mean" and I explain to them what a cappuccino is and what a latte is and they end up ordering a latte instead. Except for the one woman who told me she wanted a nonfat cappuccino with no milk, all foam, with only one shot of espresso. She proceeded to get her drink, complain about how light the cup felt (no poo poo), complain about how little espresso there was in it, ask me multiple times if I "made it right"- and when she finally left the cafe I was told she wandered around the store complaining about the drink to various employees. All of whom, to their credit, told her she got exactly what she ordered.

Though honestly if she had asked for a refund I'm sure she would have gotten it. :smith:

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
I promise last bit on this derail: What the hell is with people thinking that poo poo they get from gas stations is cappuccino? It's powder and water. It's doubly annoying when you work at a place that carries "real" caps and the machine crap. I have to ask people which they want then go into a history of coffee based beverages with them to figure out what the hell they want. Most of the time I ask Tim Horton's or Starbuck's and that can end it quickly. I would like to find the 500 different definitions for mocha people and the fakeachino people put them in a room with a bunch rigged buckets that will dump steaming hot sweet poo poo on them and lock the doors and enjoy the melodic screams. Uggh yes this is a HUGE peeve of mine.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

I promise last bit on this derail: What the hell is with people thinking that poo poo they get from gas stations is cappuccino?

Probably the big sign that says "CAPPUCCINO" across the front of all those machines.

But yeah, they are really nasty compared to what you can get in a decent coffee shop. At least at my work I notice the only people that buy that poo poo are using it to flavor the regular coffee (which is also nasty swill), or they want something hot, but don't really like coffee.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

miscellaneous14 posted:

Whoa poo poo, where'd you go that had prices like that? I can't exactly say the food is cheap without my employee discount, but you'd have to order a shitload to end up with more than 50$ or so for two people, and that's if it were a 3-D showing. It's about the price of what you'd get at a Chili's or some such restaurant, plus the price of tickets.

AMC has actually started incorporating the idea due to the popularity of restaurant theaters around Texas and other miscellaneous states. Was it an AMC that you went to? Because I wouldn't be surprised if it was that expensive.

In any case, my sister was talking to my parents earlier tonight about her friend having issues at the restaurant she worked at, and hearing it made me really glad I work at a place where I have little customer interaction and the managers aren't exactly pushovers. It was a standard "customer bitches about jack poo poo, manager comps them for a 60$ meal, blames it on the server who didn't do anything wrong" story. What's even worse, the girl even got in trouble for saying about how bad one of the meals was (to the point where people sent it back most of the time) in front of the chef, who went to a manager to complain about it. What kind of rear end in a top hat cook do you have to be to blame others for doing a lovely job instead of, y'know, trying to be a better cook?

Granted, we saw Megamind in 3D, so the tickets were $23 each. But even the regular tickets were $18 each. The theater just opened about 2 weeks before (late November). I thought we were going to end up ahead because we had a BOGO coupon :smug:, but that promotion didn't take effect until Jan 1 :negative: We had 2 beers ($6) and 2 burgers ($10), and a free app & dessert. So I'm mistaken, it was somewhere between $60-80. I just can't imagine a family going though, tickets & food would be something north of $100.

Even with an empty theater, it took half an hour between pushing the call button and the server taking our order. We ordered a dessert with plenty of time to go, and didn't get it until the server flagged us down as we were walking out of the theater. Maybe the service was off because they were all brand-new employees.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

she wanted a nonfat cappuccino with no milk, all foam, with only one shot of espresso.

What.

I've always wondered what the machine cappuccino was supposed to taste like. It doesn't really taste like cappuccino that much.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

a nonfat cappuccino with no milk, all foam, with only one shot of espresso

No milk but all foam? Other than the espresso, what the gently caress was in that cup? :psyduck:

The only bad coffee shop story I have is where one guy came in asking if we could make his cappuccino with extra caffeine, but he didn't want another shot of espresso and didn't want to have to pay more. Apparently this guy (who was a premed like everyone else that came in that place) thought caffeine was just something we put in poo poo.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
Today a little boy had about 50 seizures in the middle of our concessions lobby. Immediately a co-worker notified the only manager on duty, but he was nowhere to be found for nearly 45 MINUTES. The boy went from being slumped over on his mother, to lying flat and motionless on the floor, to having his limp lifeless body placed into a folding chair retrieved by a co-worker, to being held firmly to the chair by co-workers, his mother, and RANDOM PAYING CUSTOMERS while he continued to seize, again, FOR 45 MINUTES.

Of course I was on register and could do nothing because of the hordes of people walking around a seizing child to fill up their Mountain Dew and get nachos and walk on as though nothing was wrong. I saw at one point the child's mother hold up a cell phone and I assumed she was calling 911, but nobody showed up. Later, the same co-worker who notified the manager said that the mother dropped her cell phone because her hand was shaking so bad and the phone shattered on the floor.

45 minutes after the child started having his seizures, the manager nonchalantly walks out of the back, sees the child and a group of random customers standing around him, smirks and scrunches up his face as though they are all weird for tending to a child in need, continues walking past everybody, goes up to the counter across from them and starts bitching to me and my co-worker about how the counter is filthy and needs to be cleaned. I told him "uhh, you realize that the child behind you has been having seizures for nearly an hour, right? Maybe you should call 911..."

Jesus Christ. Literally complete strangers were standing there with napkins wiping the drool off the face of a child having seizures and this piece of poo poo manager is completely ignoring it and bitching about a counter that has napkins on it. That kid could have loving died.

The EMTs got there and gave the kid oxygen and moved him out of the busy area once he stopped having seizures. The last I saw, the poor little boy was walking out on his own. The EMTs left a huge piece of machinery in the lobby for 3 minutes after they moved the kid away and the manager was all irritated by it and threw his arms up in disgust. It was the most horrible thing I've ever seen and I don't understand how my manager could have been so callous and such a loving rear end in a top hat about it. What a piece of poo poo and I hope he loving dies.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

red19fire posted:

Granted, we saw Megamind in 3D, so the tickets were $23 each. But even the regular tickets were $18 each. The theater just opened about 2 weeks before (late November). I thought we were going to end up ahead because we had a BOGO coupon :smug:, but that promotion didn't take effect until Jan 1 :negative: We had 2 beers ($6) and 2 burgers ($10), and a free app & dessert. So I'm mistaken, it was somewhere between $60-80. I just can't imagine a family going though, tickets & food would be something north of $100.

Even with an empty theater, it took half an hour between pushing the call button and the server taking our order. We ordered a dessert with plenty of time to go, and didn't get it until the server flagged us down as we were walking out of the theater. Maybe the service was off because they were all brand-new employees.

I just can't imagine paying $23 each. That is almost half a year of frickin instant Netflix. I never go to the theater anymore, and do not regret it at all. even $10 for a non-Imax movie is absolutely ridiculous (unless the movie is really that good, but honestly, most movies now a days are not that good).

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

The Robins Taley posted:

Today a little boy had about 50 seizures in the middle of our concessions lobby. Immediately a co-worker notified the only manager on duty, but he was nowhere to be found for nearly 45 MINUTES. The boy went from being slumped over on his mother, to lying flat and motionless on the floor, to having his limp lifeless body placed into a folding chair retrieved by a co-worker, to being held firmly to the chair by co-workers, his mother, and RANDOM PAYING CUSTOMERS while he continued to seize, again, FOR 45 MINUTES.

Of course I was on register and could do nothing because of the hordes of people walking around a seizing child to fill up their Mountain Dew and get nachos and walk on as though nothing was wrong. I saw at one point the child's mother hold up a cell phone and I assumed she was calling 911, but nobody showed up. Later, the same co-worker who notified the manager said that the mother dropped her cell phone because her hand was shaking so bad and the phone shattered on the floor.

45 minutes after the child started having his seizures, the manager nonchalantly walks out of the back, sees the child and a group of random customers standing around him, smirks and scrunches up his face as though they are all weird for tending to a child in need, continues walking past everybody, goes up to the counter across from them and starts bitching to me and my co-worker about how the counter is filthy and needs to be cleaned. I told him "uhh, you realize that the child behind you has been having seizures for nearly an hour, right? Maybe you should call 911..."

Jesus Christ. Literally complete strangers were standing there with napkins wiping the drool off the face of a child having seizures and this piece of poo poo manager is completely ignoring it and bitching about a counter that has napkins on it. That kid could have loving died.

The EMTs got there and gave the kid oxygen and moved him out of the busy area once he stopped having seizures. The last I saw, the poor little boy was walking out on his own. The EMTs left a huge piece of machinery in the lobby for 3 minutes after they moved the kid away and the manager was all irritated by it and threw his arms up in disgust. It was the most horrible thing I've ever seen and I don't understand how my manager could have been so callous and such a loving rear end in a top hat about it. What a piece of poo poo and I hope he loving dies.

What the hell is your manager supposed to do about this? None of the hundreds of random people or mother had a cell phone? It's not his job to magically know when there's a medical emergency and then summon the appropriate government agency.

alariens421
Dec 17, 2009
And why couldn't you whip out your cell phone and make a call, pointing to the passed out child if anyone bothered you for snacks?

Or failing that tell someone specifically to call 9-1-1, don't just stand by and assume SOMEONE will.

The Bystander Effect made you its bitch and you're angry about it. It's okay, a few other hundred people did it with you.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

To counteract the awfulness of the exxperiences posted here, I worked with some pretty awesome workmates in the past. I was working on the till and was tidying up after the store was closed when a guy I was friends with announced over the tannoy to boast about how I'd be working on a day when all of my close circle of friends were off, something like:

"<Store name> would like to remind you that PiCroft will be working on <day they all had off> like the wee bitch he is."

And I rolled my eyes and muttered to myself "gently caress off."

And then, over the tannoy, he said "No, gently caress you!"

Now the tannoy microphone was upstairs in the security office so he couldn't have seen me personally. He also never said exactly how he did that, so I can only surmise he saw me over the security cameras.

Still, it freaked me the gently caress out when he did.

They also tricked a new start into going up to Admin and asking for "A sookage request form". ("sook" being "suck" with a Scottish accent).

I loved that place, the customers were lovely and the work itself even worse, but it was all evened out by my awesome workmates.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
Uhhhh. As I said, my co-worker IMMEDIATELY went and told the manager what was going on. It's not like he was sitting in the back unaware of what was going on. There aren't any phones out on the floor and they make us put our cell phones in lockers at the beginning of the shift. When a manager is notified that there is a customer having a relatively major medical issue in the middle of the lobby it is assumed that said manager would asses the situation and not stand there like an rear end in a top hat watching a little kid seize. He should have come out and offered whatever assistance he could have provided--which should have been to call 911. He did nothing and then mocked a seizing child but yeah I guess I'm the rear end in a top hat here. ??????

EDIT: I made several comments to customers and my co-workers to the effect of "What the hell is taking the medics so loving long to get here?" because the manager had been notified and I saw the mother on her phone. All of this, by the way, you could have learned if you had actually read my initial post.

The Robins Taley fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 17, 2011

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm pretty sure if there was a medical emergency going on I would leave the counter, no matter how much I was "stuck" behind there.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

Shnooks posted:

I'm pretty sure if there was a medical emergency going on I would leave the counter, no matter how much I was "stuck" behind there.

I'm trying to say that I realize there is nothing medically relevent either myself or my co-workers or my manager could have done. I'm upset he completely ignored the situation and refused to call 911 for over 45 minutes. I didn't leave the floor to call 911 myself because the only phone that I am aware of is in the manager's office and my co-worker had already told me he notified the manager. We were all complaining about how long the medics were taking and we were shocked when the manager came out to complain about the "mess" and we found out he hadn't even called them yet.

This guy has a long history of being a grade-A douchebag. He makes really inappropriate and racist comments--he asked a girl I work with how her Christmas dinner of "cornbread, fried chicken, and watermelon" was. Another girl I was hired with asked him for permission to carry her cell phone with her while she is out on the floor because her father has Stage 4 cancer and is dying, and he told her, ironically, "if your dad is that bad off he shouldn't be calling you, he should be calling 911."

The Robins Taley fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 17, 2011

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Thinking back, there was one customer who stuck in my mind, not because he was rude or abrasive or anything but because, no loving joke whatsoever, he stank like a corpse.

Now I've smelled people with BO and with poor hygiene. This is not what this guy smelled of. It was rank, sour on the nose and literally caught in the throat and made you want to retch. I was a member of cafe staff and every time he came in, you could smell him before he even entered the cafe section of the supermarket it was in.

One of my female coworkers actually had to vomit when he caught a whiff. I had to serve him and do so holding my breath just about.

The guy seemed otherwise nice, he was polite friendly and all that, he just literally stank like he was decomposing. I have/had no idea why he wasn't barred from the shop just on the basis of the stench - to their credit, the customers never mentioned it even though the stench hung around the cafe like a vengeful spirit to the point where I half-seriously asked my manager if she thought we should bring in a priest to try to remove it.

A couple police officers came in one day and sat down to chat with him about something and then he was escorted out. I don't know exactly what it was about, but I think someone finally complained, possibly someone who lived near him. He didn't come back for months, at which point he didn't smell anymore.

He was back to his usual stench within a few weeks though.

I feel simultaneously bad for him, as he was by no means a mean person, but seriously, what has to be wrong with you to blithely walk about with that stench? Unless he had no sense of smell, I can't imagine the mental/personal problems this guy had.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

The Robins Taley posted:

Another girl I was hired with asked him for permission to carry her cell phone with her while she is out on the floor because her father has Stage 4 cancer and is dying, and he told her, ironically, "if your dad is that bad off he shouldn't be calling you, he should be calling 911."

This reminds me. There is a crepe place at the mall here. Bonjour Crepes is the name, I think.

A friend of mine worked there and was telling me about one of her co-workers, whose father had just died somehow (I don't remember at this point, I don't even know the girl so....). Anyway, she was at work and having issues and was really upset because of this. It was the DAY AFTER he died. And she asked the owner of the place if she could take a break because of it when he bitched at her about something. His response: "When you come in to work, you need to leave the family poo poo at your loving home."

I don't know why she didn't knee his balls through his skull at that point and quit (then again I don't even know why she was there in the first place).

What makes it worse is that this guy's wife works at the store next to their shop and he spends the majority of his day going over there and hanging out w/ her. So he's not at the cafe the majority of the time it's open - yet he has no problem telling this girl to drop her family (MEMBER'S DEATH) at work.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

red19fire posted:

Granted, we saw Megamind in 3D, so the tickets were $23 each.

What the hell, now I'm really curious what theater this was.

The Robins Taley posted:

This guy has a long history of being a grade-A douchebag. He makes really inappropriate and racist comments--he asked a girl I work with how her Christmas dinner of "cornbread, fried chicken, and watermelon" was. Another girl I was hired with asked him for permission to carry her cell phone with her while she is out on the floor because her father has Stage 4 cancer and is dying, and he told her, ironically, "if your dad is that bad off he shouldn't be calling you, he should be calling 911."

Please tell me you've reported this gently caress to corporate already. I'm pretty sure this is bordering on illegal, if not at least violating a few labor laws.

MaxDuo posted:

I don't know why she didn't knee his balls through his skull at that point and quit (then again I don't even know why she was there in the first place).

loving hell, you guys tell me about all this stuff that desperately makes me wish I was there to punch these people in the goddamn face for being the absolute scum of the earth. Why can't I ever be there when this poo poo happens? :(

Katyiah
Aug 10, 2009
Ask me why I'm not running.
I'm yet another goon who isn't allowed to disclose where they work legally, but it's a fairly high end clothing store in Australia. Working here in one of the snobbier suburbs means we get our fair share of :byodame: customers, and I have millions of stories I'm happy to share. We also get some pretty awesome regulars who make up for it though.

Just wanted to make a comment on the topic of customer returns and management being really spineless about it. I'm the 2IC at my store, and nothing irritates me more than when someone wants to return something and kicks up a massive fuss because they can't read our refund policy or their receipt properly. I'm really loving sick of the excuse "well I didn't read the policy so you have to do it anyway, I spend heaps of money here (I can check - no you don't), blah blah blah", but there's nothing we can do about it.

Our company policy is that if the customer calls up head office and makes a complaint against us, not only do they get to return the item, but we get a formal warning (i.e. one more time and you're fired, no exceptions), AND they get a $100 gift voucher.

What this results in is sales staff who are too terrified to say no to the angry customers because it's not worth our jobs, horrible customers learning that they can get what they want if they complain loudly enough, and nice customers who understand and accept that they were in the wrong getting absolutely nothing. Not only this, but head office will never back up a decision that we have made, because to them it's more important to make the customer happy than to adhere to the policies that they create.

I'm not using this as a way to excuse the behaviour of some of the other abominations of management that I've seen on this thread, it just sucks for us.

tl,dr: stupid company policies mean we can get fired if a customer doesn't get their return

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

500 different definitions for mocha people

I thought it was just a latte, 1/3 espresso, 2/3 steamed milk, and a portion of chocolate syrup/cocoa powder?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Luquos posted:

I thought it was just a latte, 1/3 espresso, 2/3 steamed milk, and a portion of chocolate syrup/cocoa powder?

The shop I worked in (PJ's, a chain out of New Orleans) taught us that a "mocha" is basically a café au lait with chocolate added, but people would order it thinking they would be getting a mocha latte or any number of cold or frozen/blended things. Every place seems to have their own definition of "mocha" and it's annoying as hell.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

cobalt impurity posted:

The shop I worked in (PJ's, a chain out of New Orleans) taught us that a "mocha" is basically a café au lait with chocolate added, but people would order it thinking they would be getting a mocha latte or any number of cold or frozen/blended things. Every place seems to have their own definition of "mocha" and it's annoying as hell.

PJ's also doesn't sweeten their frozen coffees at all, and they're just about impossible to sweeten yourself (with something granular anyway) since it's basically a slushie. I haven't been back to one since; I'll take a CC's, thanks. (Whose mocha, btw, is sweeter than Starbucks' iirc.)

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
When I sold coffee for a living (what a loving awesome job that is) I made sure to make people exactly what they asked for. Unfortunately what they asked for is not always what they wanted. Luckily I had a boss who didn't give a gently caress and he'd sometimes make a big show of demonstrating to the customer that I'd used the right proportions of coffee, milk and foam.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Katyiah posted:

I'm yet another goon who isn't allowed to disclose where they work legally, but it's a fairly high end clothing store in Australia.

Big W? :v:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

miscellaneous14 posted:

What the hell, now I'm really curious what theater this was.

AMC Dinner Theater, Bridgewater, NJ. Renovations completed in late November, we went in early December, somehow the floors were as sticky as every other theater I've ever been in.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Our espresso machine broke today, rendering us unable to make pretty much every drink on the menu. We put up multiple signs- including one on the register itself and one on the main door to the store- but roughly every other customer tried to order something we couldn't make despite the fact that they had to pass by at least three signs in order to get to the register and were currently standing in front of a sign itself.

Back when I worked at Starbucks, something happened to the city's water reservoir so it was a boil water requirement for the whole city. The espresso machines didn't heat water up to a high enough temperature to be 'safe' so we couldn't sell any espresso beverages. (Nobody in the city could. Fast food places had to use cans/bottles instead of fountain soda, etc.)

This didn't prevent a sizeable portion of the people to come in to act all :saddowns: and/or :byodame: that we wouldn't sell them their latte.

Why the gently caress are you getting angry at us, we didn't do anything. And they'd get angrier when they'd demand we ignore the advisory and make the drink anyways, and we'd say no.

Yeah, I bet you're the same god drat person who'd jump on the chance to sue if we did make it (at your request) and then you got sick.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

BeardedFerret posted:

Big W? :v:

In Katyiah's defence he didn't say he lived in Victoria.

Katyiah
Aug 10, 2009
Ask me why I'm not running.

Breetai posted:

In Katyiah's defence he didn't say he lived in Victoria.

she :eng101:

For content:
I once had a customer make a complaint against one of the casuals who works with me because of something she said to her child. Apparently the little girl was playing with the ink filled security tag on one of the tops, and hitting it pretty hard against the counter.

:keke: Careful with that, you might spill ink everywhere! (joking around)
:bubblewoop: How?
:keke: That little tag has bright orange ink in it, so that nobody can take the top without paying for it.

Apparently the problem was that by saying that tags were there to stop people from stealing, we were implying that they stole, and my coworker shouldn't tell people that, and that we should take off the tags because it was offensive to imply that people were going to steal things etc. I still don't know how I managed to get through that one without laughing at her. Gave her a pretty good withering stare.

She still comes back, and always lets her kids run around the store doing whatever they want. They've broken our window displays and left the store before, and because I'm on my own a fair bit of the time, I can't get them to come back. I wouldn't mind them misbehaving if it weren't so obvious that she didn't give a crap, she'll never say anything to them or tell them to stop. And the worst part is that since I always give her such 'amazing service' she pretty much only wants me to serve her. :bang:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
We had two of our casuals quit today. One's moving on and starting uni and doing great things. The other just hated it so much that she's moving interstate to get anything she can.

That means we're now down to six employees total, of which four of us are proper floor staff, and only three of us are competent. All three of us are also applying for something else. Apparently our recruitment team will quite happily do some recruiting for us if our managers give up their budgets for the month, which they're not doing. So the grand plan to fill the three vacancies we have is a sign on the counter.

We are so hosed. I'm interviewing in a call center on Thursday, I hope to Christ I can hand in my notice on Thursday afternoon.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Katyiah posted:

she :eng101:

For content:
I once had a customer make a complaint against one of the casuals who works with me because of something she said to her child. Apparently the little girl was playing with the ink filled security tag on one of the tops, and hitting it pretty hard against the counter.

:keke: Careful with that, you might spill ink everywhere! (joking around)
:bubblewoop: How?
:keke: That little tag has bright orange ink in it, so that nobody can take the top without paying for it.

Apparently the problem was that by saying that tags were there to stop people from stealing, we were implying that they stole, and my coworker shouldn't tell people that, and that we should take off the tags because it was offensive to imply that people were going to steal things etc. I still don't know how I managed to get through that one without laughing at her. Gave her a pretty good withering stare.

She still comes back, and always lets her kids run around the store doing whatever they want. They've broken our window displays and left the store before, and because I'm on my own a fair bit of the time, I can't get them to come back. I wouldn't mind them misbehaving if it weren't so obvious that she didn't give a crap, she'll never say anything to them or tell them to stop. And the worst part is that since I always give her such 'amazing service' she pretty much only wants me to serve her. :bang:

Do you work at any of the following:

Myer, David Jones, Target, Kmart, Big W, Cotton On, JayJays? hosed if I know any others? What type of things do you sell? Sounds like a lovely company! I've been working at suncorp as a teller for the last month and so far it's been pretty awesome!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If I said I worked at a place where if customers called head office with completely insane demands that are contrary to written corporate policy they could get an apology and $100 I wouldn't really appreciate people trying to get me to name the company.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

red19fire posted:

AMC Dinner Theater, Bridgewater, NJ. Renovations completed in late November, we went in early December, somehow the floors were as sticky as every other theater I've ever been in.

What a surprise. :rolleyes: Again, prices where I work aren't that cheap, but I know after working at an AMC for almost two years that they're willing to take every available opportunity to rip people off.

I remember one of the really cheap tricks they pulled was the "fake discount" bit when they started selling little pizzas; anytime you bought tickets, you got a little 3$ off coupon so the pizza would be 5$ instead of 8. But what that basically meant was that they were essentially 5$, they just marked it up like that to fool idiots into believing they were getting a good deal. Pretty lovely idea when there's literally a mall food court downstairs that we couldn't prevent people from bringing in food from. :v:

An actual story, for content: back at AMC, there were monthly discounts or deals that would include bonuses for people that signed up for the card (there really wasn't any reason not to have one if you were a recurrent customer considering they cost nothing, but the discounts aren't that great). One month it was something like "1$ off a large popcorn, 2$ if you have the card!". Instead of leaving the visible price on the menu as it was with a little sign indicating the discount, they just changed the price and had a little sign indicating the discount. So once, some hambeast literally took the little sign off the counter, handed it to one of the employees at the registers like a coupon, and expected her to take a dollar off his order.

:v:: "Sir, the deal is already applied to the price, we just changed the price on the menu for convenience sake (or something)"
:btroll:: "IT SAYS I GET A DOLLAR OFF SO TAKE A DOLLAR OFF"
:v:: "I'm sorry sir, I can't do that because etcetera..."
(this loops about two times before he finally gives up)

About ten minutes later, one of the operating coordinators tells me that a customer claimed I was being uppity and rude to him. I explained to her what happened, and she fortunately immediately figured I was right in that situation. I still can't believe someone could be so incredibly thick, and then be a complete rear end in a top hat about it to try and get me into poo poo.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

Instead of leaving the visible price on the menu as it was with a little sign indicating the discount, they just changed the price and had a little sign indicating the discount.

Even if that guy was a dick, I think he was right. The wording of the sign should've been "take an extra dollar off with your AMC card" or something like that. Unless you're missing out the detail like the sign describing the discount already. If I walked up to something and saw "$1 off / $2 with card" it's natural to assume it's off the marked price.

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
Our pharmacist had been a community fixture at this pharmacy for literally over a generation and I found out this is his last week at our store. He's one of the reasons I went for this job in the first place. The store had a really "small town" feel with him, but with all our staff pharmacists gone it's already starting to feel more like a regular retail branch recently. He was incredibly above and beyond as far as customer service, and many people have told me he's the only reason they still shop here. Maybe it's just me getting used to him leaving, but right now I'm feeling even more apathetic about this corporation.

ChirpChirpCheep
Apr 22, 2008
A competing store in the area recently closed down, causing business at our store to more than double over the past week. Naturally we are at our most understaffed, but that's neither here nor there. What has been happening is that people seem to not understand that our store and the competing store are not 100% interchangeable. This interaction has happened more times than I can count:

Me: *ringing someone's order up* Do you have a member card with [our store]?
Customer: No, but I have [competing store's completely different card], will that work?

There was also this interaction:

Man: *runs in, runs up to counter*
Me: Hi there, how can I-
Man: Quick question- am I in [other store]?
Me: No, this is-
Man: Thanks, bye. *runs off*

Oh, and I just read the other day that Starbucks is apparently rolling out a whole new drink size that pretty much consists of half of our pitchers. Either we are getting all new urns and pitchers, or spring is going to be super fantastic as we explain to people over and over again that we don't have any more iced coffee as someone ordered two "trentas" in a row.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Chicken Doodle posted:

Even if that guy was a dick, I think he was right. The wording of the sign should've been "take an extra dollar off with your AMC card" or something like that. Unless you're missing out the detail like the sign describing the discount already. If I walked up to something and saw "$1 off / $2 with card" it's natural to assume it's off the marked price.

Oh trust me, I know. They typically weren't very informative with their advertising, likely intentionally. As far as I know, he was the only one to have this misconception, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
The tiny menus at movie theatres are hilarious. Also doing the math on the 'super saver' combo and discovering you save a grand total of about 30 cents on a ten dollar cardboard tray of fountain soda and stale popcorn.