Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Glass of Milk posted:

Update- I got a call today and they conceded the points I made in my email and are increasing their offer to $11300 from $9300. Very good news- now I just need to review the offer itself and all will be well. Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this crap out.

See! We told you that you could get it done! Happy to hear they conceded the proper points. Hope you get everything squared away.

Jastiger posted:

Awesome. Being persistent and reasonable will get you far with insurance companies vs "I'll sue you, you're all evil, etc etc etc".

For my company they track 3 things:

Total Miles Driven
Time of day
How often you brake hard/accelerate quickly, which is usually keyed to the engine computer on when it has to kick in the ABS or downshift excessively.

Thats it, nothing else. For most people its a net positive. I find in my completely anecdotal experience that the people that are most worried about it are the people that ought not have it.

Pretty sure all of the units will track if you go above a certain speed (usually 80 or 85 mph). I'd ask about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

OssiansFolly posted:

Pretty sure all of the units will track if you go above a certain speed (usually 80 or 85 mph). I'd ask about that.
Google indicates they track location too. That doesn't surprise me, seeing as how rates can swing massively from area to area.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

SiGmA_X posted:

Google indicates they track location too. That doesn't surprise me, seeing as how rates can swing massively from area to area.

Yea they can see where you are, but often times they don't save that data (takes too much to save location information on a lot of the units). There are some companies that have a much better interface that lets YOU even see the GPS...those obviously do (Progressive has a famous case that his installed unit actually got a customer out of a murder charge because his GPS actually showed he wasn't at the location of the murder).

The one thing they don't track is whether you are speeding because they intentionally left out the technology to know speed limits to keep track of people speeding.

(Side note: I used to sell a ton of these units before I got into insurance. I worked for a Fleet Management company that sold units that even tracked how long a vehicle idled to keep track of drivers that wasted fuel and did more wear and tear on the vehicles. Fun fact, I sold over 70% of my units to parents with children in high school :P )

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

OssiansFolly posted:

See! We told you that you could get it done! Happy to hear they conceded the proper points. Hope you get everything squared away.

It's an overwhelming thing to be dumped into, and it's definitely discouraging when you realize the insurance company intends to try and minimize the loss, and you're left wondering if you need to get a lawyer and escalate things. Being polite and firmly stating my specific demands while providing rationale and documentation to back it up made the difference. I feel as though if I had been more equivocal and/or less assertive then they would just have let the previous offer hang out there forever.

Thanks again, all of you.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Glass of Milk posted:

It's an overwhelming thing to be dumped into, and it's definitely discouraging when you realize the insurance company intends to try and minimize the loss, and you're left wondering if you need to get a lawyer and escalate things. Being polite and firmly stating my specific demands while providing rationale and documentation to back it up made the difference. I feel as though if I had been more equivocal and/or less assertive then they would just have let the previous offer hang out there forever.

Thanks again, all of you.

Yep that is part of insurance. I am literally helping a customer of mine do this with another company right now. Someone drove through the garage and it had to be demolished, but city codes were changed since the home was built so now they need to lay more concrete and the at fault party's insurance doesn't want to cover that. I am sure this will be a poo poo storm for a couple weeks.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
So my car is currently covered under my parents' insurance. I'll be moving out next week to another state for a job. Due to that, I will need to get my own car insurance, correct?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

damnfan posted:

So my car is currently covered under my parents' insurance. I'll be moving out next week to another state for a job. Due to that, I will need to get my own car insurance, correct?

Correct.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

damnfan posted:

Unless you love running the risk of having your claim denied and being stuck with whatever the claim amount is our of your pocket.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm applying for health coverage through the marketplace and I'm wondering why my results say I don't qualify for a tax credit because "I have access to or are enrolled in coverage through a job that meets premium standards". My income falls within the threshold to qualify and I specified on my application that my employer sponsored coverage will end on 7/31.

I'm mainly trying to avoid having a gap in coverage, so does this mean I should appeal once August rolls around?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I've had to put my car on my parents' insurance plan to make sure I'm covered. They've got State Farm. Identical 100/300/100 liability and $500 deductible comprehensive plans, cost, respectively:
  • $169/month with State Farm with everyone and associated discounts
  • $88/month with AAA, with just me and my one car on the plan
Are there any other companies I should be looking at besides AAA? How's AAA in terms of quality?

The car's a 1998 Volvo V70R, I'm in California, I'm 23, have been licensed since 21, and have had no accidents, incidents, or citations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
USAA is very good, but you can only get it if you're a veteran or are related to one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

I've had to put my car on my parents' insurance plan to make sure I'm covered. They've got State Farm. Identical 100/300/100 liability and $500 deductible comprehensive plans, cost, respectively:
Are there any other companies I should be looking at besides AAA? How's AAA in terms of quality?

The car's a 1998 Volvo V70R, I'm in California, I'm 23, have been licensed since 21, and have had no accidents, incidents, or citations.
I've heard some not-good things about AAA, but it's been years since I've heard anything about them, so I don't know if that's still true.

You said $169 for "everyone," so is that including your parents' vehicle(s), or is that just to insure your Volvo?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am taking a new hourly job in North Carolina. I guess I need health insurance or some bullshit. It all seems insanely expensive for what it is. (230 bi weekly for 5000 deductible? Get hosed) The last time I saw a doctor was over 2 years ago in Korea and I only went then because kids are hives of disease. It was super awesome there. It sucks here. Please help me make it suck less here.

Supermercado
Aug 6, 2003
I think we (me, 32, and my wife, 31) are doing all right in most regards, but I'd love a second set of eyes on us insurance-wise to make sure that we've got adequate coverage and haven't overlooked anything. We're currently on my one income (approximately $90,000) and that's likely to remain the case as we get closer to having children.

We've got medical and dental coverage through my employer. I think our dental coverage is pretty standard and covers a couple cleanings and some repair work. The cost is about $20 every 2 weeks. For medical, we're both young and relatively healthy so we switched to a high-deductible plan this year and are contributing enough so that we max out my Health Savings Account. My employer kicks in a bit to help out. The deductible on our medical insurance is $3000 with an out of pocket max of $8000 (out of network, those numbers jump to 6K/16K). The cost is about $50 every 2 weeks. Combining the cost of the plan, my employer contribution, and the tax savings of maxing an HSA, if we have no doctor's visits in a year, we come out ahead on the cost.

I have the option for vision insurance through my employer but I didn't find it to be all that great of a value when you can just go to a local discount eyeglass place and get an exam and cheap glasses. My wife and I both wear glasses but we're getting to the age where our prescriptions don't change as much as they did in the past, and any major issues we might have would be covered under our medical insurance, anyway.

Through my employer, I've also got long term disability and AD&D coverage. I think there is no cost for the AD&D but the LTD is like $10 every 2 weeks. We also have $10,000 in spouse life insurance for my wife at a cost of $0.25 every 2 weeks. The cost is so low that we figured being able to take care of any final expenses, etc, was worth the minimal cost. We also have a supplemental life (on top of what's provided by my employer at no cost) policy through my employer that costs about $8 every 2 weeks and provides about $475,000 in coverage should I kick the bucket.

We own our house. Zillow puts the value at around $205,000. We live in Florida so I think the costs are a bit higher for our insurance. Our coverage here is just under $210,000 for the dwelling and includes $300,000 personal liability at a cost of about $950 per year.

We have two vehicles, my wife's 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix and my 2010 Ford F-150. We've owned the Grand Prix outright since 2008 and it's got about 120,000 miles on it. My wife drives probably half a dozen times per month, maybe 2000 miles per year. We've got a loan on the F-150 and it's got about 50,000 miles. Most of my driving is my 5 mile commute, plus an occasional longer trip. Not likely to exceed about 7500 miles per year. Our coverage is through USAA (my parents were military, not me) and is about $750 every 6 months. We've currently got comprehensive and collision on both vehicles, with $500 deductibles. The bodily injury and under/uninsured motorist coverage is 300K/500K and property damage liability is 100K. We've also got rental reimbursement and roadside assistance for both vehicles. I've looked into dropping the coverage on the Grand Prix due to its age and the frequency that it's driven, as well as raising the deductibles across the board, but the cost savings never quite seemed worth it. Neither my wife nor I have ever been ticketed or in an at-fault accident.

We've also got a $2 million umbrella policy (also through USAA) that runs about $290 per year. This is probably a bit on the high side given our current assets (in addition to the house, its contents, and our vehicles, we've got about 200K in retirement funds) but the idea is that it's pretty cheap coverage and helps protect my future earnings. I'll be the primary earner going forward and want to make sure that that future income is protected in a lawsuit.

How do we look? I tried to get all the high points but if I left anything out, let me know and I'll get that information. Any glaring holes or things we can improve? Thanks!

Supermercado fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 9, 2015

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

air- posted:

I'm applying for health coverage through the marketplace and I'm wondering why my results say I don't qualify for a tax credit because "I have access to or are enrolled in coverage through a job that meets premium standards". My income falls within the threshold to qualify and I specified on my application that my employer sponsored coverage will end on 7/31.

I'm mainly trying to avoid having a gap in coverage, so does this mean I should appeal once August rolls around?

Yea the system defaults to saying you have coverage if you tell them you have coverage now. Just say you don't have coverage and need emergency coverage.

atomicthumbs posted:

Call an Independent Agent. Most of them will have 5 or more companies they sell for and will shop it around for you. Save yourself the work and get an agent to help you out. As far as AAA goes I believe they are still underwritten by Western United (may be different in different states). I don't think they are terrible, but I don't think they are great either...insurance is one of those things that you often get what you pay for.

Gildiss posted:

I am taking a new hourly job in North Carolina. I guess I need health insurance or some bullshit. It all seems insanely expensive for what it is. (230 bi weekly for 5000 deductible? Get hosed) The last time I saw a doctor was over 2 years ago in Korea and I only went then because kids are hives of disease. It was super awesome there. It sucks here. Please help me make it suck less here.

Are you going through the ACA Marketplace? We kind of need some more details here...you may qualify for assistance through the ACA due to income, and you want to be looking at the Silver Plans in the ACA. I don't know your age, income, health, or anything else so advice is pretty much limited to 'go online to healthcare.gov and make sure you don't qualify for assistance'.

Supermercado posted:

I think we (me, 32, and my wife, 31) are doing all right in most regards, but I'd love a second set of eyes on us insurance-wise to make sure that we've got adequate coverage and haven't overlooked anything. We're currently on my one income (approximately $90,000) and that's likely to remain the case as we get closer to having children.

:words:

Honestly...you look good. The premiums look solid, the company is a good company to be with, and the health/disability/life look to be in a good spot. Make sure that supplemental life can be taken when you leave the job for any reason is the only thing I'd look into. Don't get rid of the Umbrella. Just because your liquid assets are less than $2M doesn't mean someone can't garnish wages up to 25% if you cause them major injury, death, disability, etc. For the price that Umbrella is a good thing to have. I wouldn't change your car coverages either. The premiums are pretty low and unless that $100/six months is going to make or break you I think you are fine for another year or two with the slightly higher premium.

Off topic from insurance. If your eyes have stopped changing seriously consider laser eye surgery. Being able to see without contacts/glasses BEFORE you have kids is a good call. I just had mine done a year and a half ago and it was worth the money.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Supermercado, you might want to upgrade your health insurance if you're planning on having kids, since you know you're going to have a bunch of obstetrician/gynecologist/hospital visits that you're going to want coverage for.

Otherwise, I'll echo OssiansFolly that that looks pretty good; the umbrella policy is probably excessive, but cheap enough that "excessive" is fine. Generally speaking, I think it's worth paying 10-20% extra for USAA, because their service is very good, and what you're paying seems entirely reasonable.

Supermercado
Aug 6, 2003

OssiansFolly posted:

Honestly...you look good. The premiums look solid, the company is a good company to be with, and the health/disability/life look to be in a good spot. Make sure that supplemental life can be taken when you leave the job for any reason is the only thing I'd look into. Don't get rid of the Umbrella. Just because your liquid assets are less than $2M doesn't mean someone can't garnish wages up to 25% if you cause them major injury, death, disability, etc. For the price that Umbrella is a good thing to have. I wouldn't change your car coverages either. The premiums are pretty low and unless that $100/six months is going to make or break you I think you are fine for another year or two with the slightly higher premium.

Off topic from insurance. If your eyes have stopped changing seriously consider laser eye surgery. Being able to see without contacts/glasses BEFORE you have kids is a good call. I just had mine done a year and a half ago and it was worth the money.

Thank you, your comments are very much appreciated. I've thought about the coverages a lot and thought I'd done a pretty solid job of protecting our assets now and in the future. Regarding the supplemental life, I'm pretty sure that it's a policy directly through my employer and wouldn't come with me if I were to leave the job. That's definitely something I intend to investigate and in all likelihood, switch to a different carrier in the relatively near future. In the last couple of years, I've lost a good deal of weight and as a result, was able to get the coverage during our last open enrollment period after getting declined in 2013. I honestly wasn't sure that I'd get approved this past year and wanted to at least get something. I don't have any plans at this time to leave this job any time soon - it's pretty secure, pays pretty well, and we live in a relatively low cost of living area - but I'd definitely prefer the plan to be separate.

I just got the umbrella policy at the beginning of the year and it sounds like I made the right decision, both in terms of getting the policy but also getting the $2 million instead of the $1 million policy. The cost for double coverage is only about 1.5x that of the $1 million so it seemed like a good decision. From what I understand, things like 401k and Roth IRA are protected from judgements in a lawsuit, but hopefully I've got a lot of future earnings to protect and that's definitely worth the surprisingly low cost of the umbrella policy.

I'll check again on the auto coverages but like you said, we're not getting gouged on the premiums and I don't think the differences were significant enough to mess with too much. USAA is always a little bit more expensive than other carriers but my parents have always had USAA and outside of a few years where I lost my way :downs: I've always had them, too. I've used the roadside assistance a couple of times and they've always been super helpful and it's never affected my premiums. That's definitely important, I want to feel like I can use the service and not have it affect my policy. I've also heard stories about USAA going to bat for their policyholders and that was extra important when I was getting the umbrella policy.

I've not had a prescription change in my glasses in like 5 years and at my last exam, the doctor said that he wouldn't expect a change probably until I'm close to 40. I wouldn't expect much difference for my wife, either. I've not really looked into eye surgery but it's definitely worth checking into, definitely before kids, too. I've got really bad astigmatism and that has made eye-related things difficult in the past but I'll definitely check into the surgical options, that's definitely a good idea.

Again, thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

Thanatosian posted:

Supermercado, you might want to upgrade your health insurance if you're planning on having kids, since you know you're going to have a bunch of obstetrician/gynecologist/hospital visits that you're going to want coverage for.

Otherwise, I'll echo OssiansFolly that that looks pretty good; the umbrella policy is probably excessive, but cheap enough that "excessive" is fine. Generally speaking, I think it's worth paying 10-20% extra for USAA, because their service is very good, and what you're paying seems entirely reasonable.

Just saw that you replied while I was slowly typing my reply on my iPad... Thanks! I thought our health coverage was pretty good, especially for the price, and I thought that we'd be all right even as we try to start a family. We're more likely to adopt than have a biological child, as well. I intend to max the HSA for as long as possible and ideally, preserve as much of the value as possible, paying for health expenses out of pocket. I just had an eye exam and paid the $200 or so out of pocket rather than dip into the HSA. Keeping the receipt to draw down in the future. Is there something in particular that you'd prefer to see on the coverage? I'd have to check the actual policy documents but I think some of that stuff is covered.

Glad to hear the echoed sentiments on both USAA and the umbrella policy! I would rather err on the side of caution when the cost to double the umbrella coverage from $1 million to $2 million is like $75/year.

Supermercado fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 9, 2015

air-
Sep 24, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea the system defaults to saying you have coverage if you tell them you have coverage now. Just say you don't have coverage and need emergency coverage.

I actually tried that, then got a completely different result for not qualifying.

e:

quote:

Because the amount you are expected to contribute to health coverage under the law is more than the amount of the premium for second lowest-cost silver plan in your rating area, you don't get a tax credit.

I called the Healthcare.gov support line and the person helping me was also pretty stumped, they suggested going down the appeal route. I will likely go ahead and enroll in a plan before the 15th just to be sure I'm covered, though it sucks knowing I'll just toss that premium down the drain.

air- fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 9, 2015

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend an independent agent for renters insurance in Seattle?

I don't own a car, so no bundling; will most independent agents even bother?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Actually, now that I think about it...does your Umbrella have Uninsured/Underinsured Bodily Injury? If not I'd suggest getting it...no point covering the other guy for more than you cover yourself. I know it will almost double the premium, but it is worth having in case something happens.

air- posted:

I actually tried that, then got a completely different result for not qualifying.

e:

I called the Healthcare.gov support line and the person helping me was also pretty stumped, they suggested going down the appeal route. I will likely go ahead and enroll in a plan before the 15th just to be sure I'm covered, though it sucks knowing I'll just toss that premium down the drain.

That...is weird. I'd appeal, because I don't understand what the issue is. Maybe you found a glitch or something that needs investigated.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

That...is weird. I'd appeal, because I don't understand what the issue is. Maybe you found a glitch or something that needs investigated.

Ran a quick search for the reason and what's under example 3 makes sense. What I'm thinking is that the application isn't seeing that I won't have any income moving forward.

Supermercado
Aug 6, 2003

OssiansFolly posted:

Actually, now that I think about it...does your Umbrella have Uninsured/Underinsured Bodily Injury? If not I'd suggest getting it...no point covering the other guy for more than you cover yourself. I know it will almost double the premium, but it is worth having in case something happens.

I'm not sure I understand here, about covering the other guy for more than I cover ourselves. I've got uninsured/underinsured bodily injury on the underlying auto policy in the amount of $300,000/$500,000. This is the same as the bodily injury liability on the policy. Going through the options on the umbrella policy, I do have the option to add that coverage there in the amount of $1 million. You're right, it does almost double the premium, going from about $290 to $475, for a total of about $185 more. Is it equivalent to up the coverage on both bodily injury liability and uninsured/underinsured bodily injury on the underlying policy? It looks like I can increase the coverage on both of those to $1,000,000/$1,000,000 for a total of $50 for the 6 month auto policy.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

air- posted:

Ran a quick search for the reason and what's under example 3 makes sense. What I'm thinking is that the application isn't seeing that I won't have any income moving forward.

That may be the case. I can see the system making that mistake.

Supermercado posted:

I'm not sure I understand here, about covering the other guy for more than I cover ourselves. I've got uninsured/underinsured bodily injury on the underlying auto policy in the amount of $300,000/$500,000. This is the same as the bodily injury liability on the policy. Going through the options on the umbrella policy, I do have the option to add that coverage there in the amount of $1 million. You're right, it does almost double the premium, going from about $290 to $475, for a total of about $185 more. Is it equivalent to up the coverage on both bodily injury liability and uninsured/underinsured bodily injury on the underlying policy? It looks like I can increase the coverage on both of those to $1,000,000/$1,000,000 for a total of $50 for the 6 month auto policy.

It may make sense to do the Liability on the car instead of the Umbrella cost wise. As far as the comment of covering the other guy more than yourself: Basically Liability is to cover someone you may injure, and Uninsured/Underinsured is to cover YOU when someone injures you and is an irresponsible douche. Without the Uninsured/Underinsured on the Umbrella (or your car insurance) you are basically saying if someone else gets hurt you want to cover them for $2.3M, but if you get hurt you only want to be covered for $300k. I don't know the stats in FL, but in OH 1 in 4 drivers on the road doesn't have insurance. With our state minimums being 25k/50k it isn't hard to exceed that amount with outpatient surgeries being over $40k these days.

There is a reason why we make people sign something saying they rejected the Uninsured/Underinsured if they start an Umbrella with our agency and deny that additional coverage. If something happens the first thing lawyers look for is that coverage.

As far as cost goes, remember that $50 seems efficient but it probably isn't. You increased your coverage roughly $700k for $50 more each six months, so $100/yr. If you increase the Umbrella coverage you then increased the coverage by $2M for $185/yr. Calculating dollar for dollar on coverage and premium the Umbrella comes out ahead.

I'm obviously not here to make you buy something you don't need, but if you don't have an agent it is sometimes easier to hear it from someone else when you are looking at coverages. I don't make a cent from this, so I am just being honest. Only do it if it makes financial sense to you.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
What is enormous UM coverage supposed to get them? It makes sense for liability, but for someone with health and LTD insurance any coverage amounts that high just end up subrogated

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Series DD Funding posted:

What is enormous UM coverage supposed to get them? It makes sense for liability, but for someone with health and LTD insurance any coverage amounts that high just end up subrogated

What if the person in your car doesn't have health insurance? What if you end up paralyzed or disabled and need care for the rest of your life? What if you end up losing a leg and require an artificial limb and surgeries all your life? What if you are giving a ride to a friend and you are in a car accident that ends up killing that friend? Lawyers will be all over both you, the insured, and your agent for not having that coverage when it could end up paying for the damages in an Uninsured or Underinsured situation. Just because he has LTD doesn't mean it is enough, and what about his wife or other potential passengers? These coverages weren't spawned out of desire to profit, but out of necessity to situations that could occur.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OssiansFolly posted:

Are you going through the ACA Marketplace? We kind of need some more details here...you may qualify for assistance through the ACA due to income, and you want to be looking at the Silver Plans in the ACA. I don't know your age, income, health, or anything else so advice is pretty much limited to 'go online to healthcare.gov and make sure you don't qualify for assistance'.

I checked ACA marketplace and Uhone.com
I have no idea what is good since I've only had insurance as a kid and when working in Korea. I have never paid attention to the costs or benefits at all. I just cringe thinking about paying a considerable sum for poo poo I will most likely never use.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 10, 2015

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

OssiansFolly posted:

What if the person in your car doesn't have health insurance? What if you end up paralyzed or disabled and need care for the rest of your life? What if you end up losing a leg and require an artificial limb and surgeries all your life? What if you are giving a ride to a friend and you are in a car accident that ends up killing that friend? Lawyers will be all over both you, the insured, and your agent for not having that coverage when it could end up paying for the damages in an Uninsured or Underinsured situation. Just because he has LTD doesn't mean it is enough, and what about his wife or other potential passengers? These coverages weren't spawned out of desire to profit, but out of necessity to situations that could occur.

So, situations where either the op or other people in the care should have had other insurance. What does it matter that "lawyers will be all over you" if you aren't legally liable to them?

Supermercado
Aug 6, 2003

OssiansFolly posted:

It may make sense to do the Liability on the car instead of the Umbrella cost wise. As far as the comment of covering the other guy more than yourself: Basically Liability is to cover someone you may injure, and Uninsured/Underinsured is to cover YOU when someone injures you and is an irresponsible douche. Without the Uninsured/Underinsured on the Umbrella (or your car insurance) you are basically saying if someone else gets hurt you want to cover them for $2.3M, but if you get hurt you only want to be covered for $300k. I don't know the stats in FL, but in OH 1 in 4 drivers on the road doesn't have insurance. With our state minimums being 25k/50k it isn't hard to exceed that amount with outpatient surgeries being over $40k these days.

There is a reason why we make people sign something saying they rejected the Uninsured/Underinsured if they start an Umbrella with our agency and deny that additional coverage. If something happens the first thing lawyers look for is that coverage.

As far as cost goes, remember that $50 seems efficient but it probably isn't. You increased your coverage roughly $700k for $50 more each six months, so $100/yr. If you increase the Umbrella coverage you then increased the coverage by $2M for $185/yr. Calculating dollar for dollar on coverage and premium the Umbrella comes out ahead.

I'm obviously not here to make you buy something you don't need, but if you don't have an agent it is sometimes easier to hear it from someone else when you are looking at coverages. I don't make a cent from this, so I am just being honest. Only do it if it makes financial sense to you.

I think all that mostly makes sense. I knew the umbrella policy was a good idea to protect our assets from a lawsuit but I guess it never really occurred to me, or I researched, that the under/uninsured motorist coverage could be applied to the policy and cover us. A quick search suggests that Florida has among the highest percentage of uninsured motorists in the country, which doesn't surprise me.

You make a good point about adding to the umbrella policy vs adding to the auto policy. That $50 definitely is doubled up to $100, but even then, the coverage is just $1M. I'm a little confused on the numbers on the umbrella, though. The $185/yr bumps the umbrella coverage to $1M. Does that not make the total coverage $1.3M after stacking on top of the auto policy? I'm a bit confused on the math that brings that up to $2.3M.

I don't have a specific agent, no. I just call up USAA or use their website if I need to make changes to anything. I really appreciate the honest advice, a good discussion and constructive criticism is exactly what I was hoping for by posting.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

So, situations where either the op or other people in the care should have had other insurance. What does it matter that "lawyers will be all over you" if you aren't legally liable to them?

It's worth noting that there are many health insurance plans that exempt coverage for injuries sustained in an automobile accident, as there is a legal obligation to carry auto insurance coverage so it should be the primary coverage.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

It's worth noting that there are many health insurance plans that exempt coverage for injuries sustained in an automobile accident, as there is a legal obligation to carry auto insurance coverage so it should be the primary coverage.

Along with this, the OP VOLUNTARILY CHOSE not to take that coverage which would have protected their client. So, since he doesn't have an agent with Errors & Omissions coverage he would still legally be on the hook to explain why he didn't take the coverage. If they find him to be negligent in his decision he could still be held responsible for the damages. Not to mention he is already losing on the fact that he has to pay for a lawyer, because your insurance isn't going to defend you for something you have no coverage for.

Supermercado posted:

I think all that mostly makes sense. I knew the umbrella policy was a good idea to protect our assets from a lawsuit but I guess it never really occurred to me, or I researched, that the under/uninsured motorist coverage could be applied to the policy and cover us. A quick search suggests that Florida has among the highest percentage of uninsured motorists in the country, which doesn't surprise me.

You make a good point about adding to the umbrella policy vs adding to the auto policy. That $50 definitely is doubled up to $100, but even then, the coverage is just $1M. I'm a little confused on the numbers on the umbrella, though. The $185/yr bumps the umbrella coverage to $1M. Does that not make the total coverage $1.3M after stacking on top of the auto policy? I'm a bit confused on the math that brings that up to $2.3M.

I don't have a specific agent, no. I just call up USAA or use their website if I need to make changes to anything. I really appreciate the honest advice, a good discussion and constructive criticism is exactly what I was hoping for by posting.

The Umbrella adds coverage on top of the existing policies of Auto and Home, so you add the Umbrella limit to the Auto limit. I didn't see where you said the $185 was for $1M in Uninsured/Underinsured on the Umbrella. I thought you were quoting to increase that coverage to the same limit as the Liability portion of the Umbrella.

Just remember that by not having an agent you open yourself up for scrutiny as I posted above. By not taking a coverage if something happens they are going to ask you why YOU chose not to take that coverage, limit, policy, etc.

Gildiss posted:

I checked ACA marketplace and Uhone.com
I have no idea what is good since I've only had insurance as a kid and when working in Korea. I have never paid attention to the costs or benefits at all. I just cringe thinking about paying a considerable sum for poo poo I will most likely never use.

age 28
income 100k
health 6'1" 180lbs exercise daily
For the near future, I will be getting married in about 3 months so I need options that wont essentially cost me an apartments worth every month.

By ACA standards you likely make more than the assistance guidelines. Your health insurance should cost you no more than 10% of your annual income in the Silver Plan (like $800/mo with your income). The assistance guidelines are up to 4 times the national poverty level. For a single person I think that is like $14,000 roughly ($56,000 capped out).

Being healthy, young and without family I'd recommend looking at HSA (Health Savings Account) plans. Just make sure to contribute to it and fund it properly each year (you want to max it out each year). Dental and Optician should be fairly inexpensive.

Supermercado
Aug 6, 2003

OssiansFolly posted:

The Umbrella adds coverage on top of the existing policies of Auto and Home, so you add the Umbrella limit to the Auto limit. I didn't see where you said the $185 was for $1M in Uninsured/Underinsured on the Umbrella. I thought you were quoting to increase that coverage to the same limit as the Liability portion of the Umbrella.

Just remember that by not having an agent you open yourself up for scrutiny as I posted above. By not taking a coverage if something happens they are going to ask you why YOU chose not to take that coverage, limit, policy, etc.

I may have misspoke or not been as clear as I could have been regarding the coverages. The auto policy is $300K/$500K per person/accident for both the liability and under/uninsured motorist. To increase that to $1M/$1M on the auto policy only was $50/6 mo. To add $1M (there's not a per person/accident, it's just $1M, and there are no other options, it's $1M or declined) to the umbrella was $180/yr. Just for sake of completeness, I checked to see what the cost of adding the under/uninsured motorist and lowering the $2M liability to $1M was, and it increases the premium by about $85/yr, so $100 less than where I'm at now. $100/yr isn't going to break the bank and the doubled liability coverage is where I'd want to be.

I'm not sure about the agent aspect of USAA. I definitely don't have a specific one but it's possible, maybe probable, that they could explain all this stuff if I called and asked. I guess I thought I understood it pretty well but from the last few posts, that's pretty clearly not the case and I've definitely got more homework to do.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Thanatosian posted:

I've heard some not-good things about AAA, but it's been years since I've heard anything about them, so I don't know if that's still true.

You said $169 for "everyone," so is that including your parents' vehicle(s), or is that just to insure your Volvo?

$169 for just my Volvo, even with other people on the plan and the discounts that comes with.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

NeurosisHead posted:

Which ones?

OssiansFolly posted:

Along with this, the OP VOLUNTARILY CHOSE not to take that coverage which would have protected their client. So, since he doesn't have an agent with Errors & Omissions coverage he would still legally be on the hook to explain why he didn't take the coverage. If they find him to be negligent in his decision he could still be held responsible for the damages. Not to mention he is already losing on the fact that he has to pay for a lawyer, because your insurance isn't going to defend you for something you have no coverage for.

Do umbrella policies have a habit of saying "we cover your liability, except when you're being sued for not having UM", then? Maybe the agent could be held responsible, but that's not the insured's problem. What real-world situation is this supposed to be protecting?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

With the variety of policies available from any number of carriers in any number of states I can't give you a comprehensive list. It's always worth checking your schedule of benefits or talking to the insurance company to understand how your health insurance will pay in regards to an auto accident. There's a reason that the first question they ask when you walk into the ER is "was this because of a car accident".

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OssiansFolly posted:

By ACA standards you likely make more than the assistance guidelines. Your health insurance should cost you no more than 10% of your annual income in the Silver Plan (like $800/mo with your income). The assistance guidelines are up to 4 times the national poverty level. For a single person I think that is like $14,000 roughly ($56,000 capped out).

Being healthy, young and without family I'd recommend looking at HSA (Health Savings Account) plans. Just make sure to contribute to it and fund it properly each year (you want to max it out each year). Dental and Optician should be fairly inexpensive.

Thanks, I found a nice plan with good coverages and an HSA option.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Do umbrella policies have a habit of saying "we cover your liability, except when you're being sued for not having UM", then? Maybe the agent could be held responsible, but that's not the insured's problem. What real-world situation is this supposed to be protecting?

Kind of. Being sued for not having UM would be a Liability case, but most insurance companies aren't going to defend you until it has been decided whether you can or can't be sued for not electing to take that coverage. I've seen it twice in my career and it sucks, but you are stuck kind of waiting to find out of they can skirt you not having UM into suing under Liability. Lawyers are horrible horrible people when it comes to insurance...

Gildiss posted:

Thanks, I found a nice plan with good coverages and an HSA option.

Cool. I am happy you found something reasonable (I figured the HSA would make sense for a monthly premium). Just make sure to properly fund that HSA account. Maxing it out helps you for year end taxes.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
Ok so I bundled my renters insurance and car insurance together. As a 22 year old male with a brand new car, is a rate of $120/mo good? I'm really unsure about all of this being on my own.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

damnfan posted:

...as a 22 year old male with a brand new car...

Please report to the bad with money thread.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

damnfan posted:

Ok so I bundled my renters insurance and car insurance together. As a 22 year old male with a brand new car, is a rate of $120/mo good? I'm really unsure about all of this being on my own.

A/S/L as the old adage goes...seems you missed one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

app posted:

Please report to the bad with money thread.

It's bought in full by my parents, thanks.

OssiansFolly posted:

A/S/L as the old adage goes...seems you missed one.

Illinois average rate is around $115 so I'm close to that.