Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Could you do it with a kind of sanity mechanic (like the one from Unknown Armies)? You gently caress up your rolls a couple of times, it's fine, but you mark it down on a track, gently caress up enough and you trigger an effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
I think the best way is to introduce a new success step to FATE, rather - Dramatic Failure, limited only to player characters and major worldshifted NPCs. You know how if you succeed at something by three points you get a Success with Style, and if you make it by five you get an Extraordinary Success? Same thing, except for failing by three or five. Make it so that when you Dramatically Fail, you either have to fail AND take a serious cost, or you succeed but are forced to take two costs instead, and add 'disconnection/disastrous disconnection' to the list.

Needless to say, this is going to make the game a bit swingy. Not only do you win hard when the rolling is good, you fail hard when the rolling is bad. If you wanted to preserve the players' FP pools from getting banged up by having to constantly up their rolls a bunch both to protect themselves from NPCs going all in on their defenses/attacks, you might want to take this together with the suggestion I made a while back of treating serious costs like compels, complete with extra FP generation. I'd need to know more about the difficulty matrix for reconnections to suggest what you should base the roll on, but this twist on success steps might be what you need to keep the tension of Torg in FATE.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Transient People posted:

Needless to say, this is going to make the game a bit swingy. Not only do you win hard when the rolling is good, you fail hard when the rolling is bad. If you wanted to preserve the players' FP pools from getting banged up by having to constantly up their rolls a bunch both to protect themselves from NPCs going all in on their defenses/attacks, you might want to take this together with the suggestion I made a while back of treating serious costs like compels, complete with extra FP generation.

Hah, you'd hate original Torg, then. It had a metacurrency that was used to improve die rolls, reduce incoming damage, and was your XP. And you didn't have anything resembling Refresh, either. Oh, and if you were too deep into another reality you had to spend one point every 15 minutes game time to not just automatically convert.

90's design! :buddy:

quote:

Needless to say, this is going to make the game a bit swingy. Not only do you win hard when the rolling is good, you fail hard when the rolling is bad. If you wanted to preserve the players' FP pools from getting banged up by having to constantly up their rolls a bunch both to protect themselves from NPCs going all in on their defenses/attacks, you might want to take this together with the suggestion I made a while back of treating serious costs like compels, complete with extra FP generation.

Torg worked on a logarithmic scale; you rolled an open-ended d20, looked up the result of the roll on a chart, then added that value to your skill to see what you got. If anything, Fate'd be less swingy.

quote:

I'd need to know more about the difficulty matrix for reconnections to suggest what you should base the roll on, but this twist on success steps might be what you need to keep the tension of Torg in FATE.
As near as I can tell, the matrix is pretty much all arbitrary numbers.

I think doing Fate Torg would pretty much require me going back to first principles and figuring out which parts of the game's metaphysics I want to model, and which parts I want to downplay/ignore because they were too needlessly complex.

I know that when converting setting A into game B, you keep the tone, not the mechanics, but with Torg the tone and setting are welded very heavily onto the mechanics, and the mechanics are heavily tied to other mechanics.

OverloadUT
Sep 11, 2001

I couldn't think of an image so I Googled "Overload"
Looking for advice on a megastunt/extra for one of my players.

He is playing an AI, and wants to create a megastunt/extra that helps mechanically represent the fact that his body is very inconsequential. He occupies a robot chassis, but if his arm got blown off it wouldn't matter a ton. Simple repair or replacement when time permits while his lame meat-based allies need to lie up in a hospital bed. But the healing angle is boring - needs to be something in the action.

He's done some excellent narrative bits using the concept, like shedding all non-critical weight when trying to outrun a threat.

So the idea is to try to create something that embodies that idea of a replaceable body being a gigantic asset, but I am having trouble coming up with something really creative.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'd suggest something to do with consequences - along the lines of the talk about how to make Superman really invulnerable. A lot of the same things apply, cept that it's a disposable body rather than an invulnerable one.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

OverloadUT posted:

Looking for advice on a megastunt/extra for one of my players.

He is playing an AI, and wants to create a megastunt/extra that helps mechanically represent the fact that his body is very inconsequential. He occupies a robot chassis, but if his arm got blown off it wouldn't matter a ton. Simple repair or replacement when time permits while his lame meat-based allies need to lie up in a hospital bed. But the healing angle is boring - needs to be something in the action.

He's done some excellent narrative bits using the concept, like shedding all non-critical weight when trying to outrun a threat.

So the idea is to try to create something that embodies that idea of a replaceable body being a gigantic asset, but I am having trouble coming up with something really creative.

Maybe something like

Megastunt - Expendable Body: This character's body is modular, destructable, mechanical, and basically just equipment for the character. The character can Create Advantages related to removing or modifying its own body parts. Once per Scene, the character can reduce any newly-acquired Physical Consequence to a Situation Aspect with the same name, because seemingly horrific damage is ultimately just inconvenient.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Do you have Atomic Robo? If so, I suggest you check the writeup for ALAN, one of the special villains. ALAN is technically a GM character, but he does a lot of what you're talking about because he isn't truly defeatable, as a self-aware AI uploaded into the internet. He gets a bunch of variant declarations with FP, which may be a good template for this kinda stuff.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I decided that I needed a new programming project, so I'm cranking out a FATE GM toolkit for Windows.

Current planned features:
-Ability to define custom skills, or import a list of skills defined in an XML file. The program will probably come with pre-made XML files for FATE Core and FAE.

-Ability to open multiple character sheets in their own windows, that you can alt-tab between. The window's title is just the character's name.
-Character sheets show all skills and ranks(sorted by rank), as well as aspects, stunts, stress boxes, consequences, current Fate Tokens, Refresh, and miscellaneous notes.

-Scene Tracker, which lists all open character sheets in initiative order, and has a GM Fate Token counter at the bottom. You can click a character in the list to bring that sheet to the front.

-All character data is stored in a local SQL database file.

-Compact layout designed for notebooks or windows tablets.

Are there any other features that I should throw in there? I wasn't planning to add a dice roller, since I prefer physically rolling the dice in front of my group, but I can if it seems like a good idea. Should I bother with the ability to have the program swap between different campaigns, with their own set of skills and characters?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Off the top of my head:

A) A Compel Button. You use it and write down currently active and 'saved' compels, clearly separated.

B) A puck pass feature for games with player-selected initiative, like Atomic Robo.

C) A Refresh button that automatically updates all FP pools lower than the minimum for a milestone (or scene for enemies).

EDIT: Also, just to make sure: Is this for the GM only on for players to use too?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Transient People posted:

Off the top of my head:

A) A Compel Button. You use it and write down currently active and 'saved' compels, clearly separated.

B) A puck pass feature for games with player-selected initiative, like Atomic Robo.

C) A Refresh button that automatically updates all FP pools lower than the minimum for a milestone (or scene for enemies).

EDIT: Also, just to make sure: Is this for the GM only on for players to use too?

It's primarily intended for GM use, but the character sheet it uses is a full one, so players could track their stuff if they wanted. I'm debating a toggle for "NPC mode" on character sheets, but it seems kind of pointless since all it changes is the presence of the Token/Refresh counters.

It's meant to be accessible in a quick fashion so that you can pop open a new character window real quick with everything blank or set to zero in case an NPC suddenly needs stats.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I should probably add a checkbox or something to character sheets to mark them as "static" so they don't save their changes to the database when you're done with them. This way you can make template sheets for minions and other throwaway NPCs, and not have to manually reset them after the conflict has potentially rearranged their various bits.

I like the idea of the Compel button. Do you think that should be on a per-character basis, or another part of the scene tracker? Along those lines, I need to find a place to squeeze in a field showing how many tokens are owed to any given character at the end of a Conflict.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

I'd say it might have to be both. Individual compel tracking for, well, individual compels, and a scene tracker for when you're just plopping down a mutlitarget compel instead.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I recent Fate news, EH is releasing more of the Worlds of Fate PDFs as stand-alone books in Q1 like they did with Secrets of Cats.

Also Brian Clevenger posted some interesting thoughts on running Exalted with Atomic Robo.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I recent Fate news, EH is releasing more of the Worlds of Fate PDFs as stand-alone books in Q1 like they did with Secrets of Cats.

Also Brian Clevenger posted some interesting thoughts on running Exalted with Atomic Robo.

Nothing to add to it except 'yeah, I'm not gonna pay Exalted in Exalted unless I wanna rock some crunchy combat'. FATE is just much better at this job.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Transient People posted:

'yeah, I'm not gonna pay Exalted'. FATE is just much better.

Fixed.

"Because of my making GBS threads dicknipples, I gain +2 to horribly describe the demon rape scene"

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Warning: some people over there are very dumb.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

How dare you not care about the current Exalted players who like the system as-is.

You monster.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Now I'm thinking putting Atomic Robo together with the Toolkit's Six Viziers and see where that takes me.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any FATE hack for s7s? It shouldn't be hard to do and man, I love that setting but don't really care about PDQ.

I worked a bit on a Hack for it using strange Fate for some reason, and now I'm thinking about it again and want to make it happen. Odd that EH hasn't done anything like that since s7s is theirs too. Maybe I can use Aether sea as a base? I haven't read it yet.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Aether Sea is a good read, but it's pretty basic. S7S puts some more thought into it, you might need to expand it a bit, but otherwise it's a good fit. S7S makes sure everyone has something to do during a ship-to-ship battle, Aether Sea uses stations (navigation, weapons, comm) that you have to 'buy'. People can make up Advantages if they don't have a station to operate but it's not quite the guarantee that S7S was going for.

I like the idea of using the different Approaches regardless of what station you're operating, seems fun.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Does anyone have any tips on skinning Shadowrun with Fate - or know of a good Cyberpunk with traditional Cyberpunk elements (magic, hacking, cyberware, "runs") that's out there? My group loves Shadowrun, but the rules always gum up the game. Having played some Fate now a few are trying to see if it'd be possible, given that Shadowrun would really thrive under the cinematic style that Fate encourages. The problem is that Shadowrun's core conceit really is all about getting money and gear and all sorts of fiddly little increases like that.

I'm sure it's possible, but I'm wondering if there's a point of diminishing rewards when you're abstracting away entire sections of rules just for the sake of playing Fate with a Shadowrun feel.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mortanis posted:

Does anyone have any tips on skinning Shadowrun with Fate - or know of a good Cyberpunk with traditional Cyberpunk elements (magic, hacking, cyberware, "runs") that's out there? My group loves Shadowrun, but the rules always gum up the game. Having played some Fate now a few are trying to see if it'd be possible, given that Shadowrun would really thrive under the cinematic style that Fate encourages. The problem is that Shadowrun's core conceit really is all about getting money and gear and all sorts of fiddly little increases like that.

I'm sure it's possible, but I'm wondering if there's a point of diminishing rewards when you're abstracting away entire sections of rules just for the sake of playing Fate with a Shadowrun feel.

There's some discussion upthread a little about cyberwear as a super-stunt, and that sort of thing.

It's possible to do FATE with some fiddly resources, but you have to modify it a bit. Do a Financial Stress track with maybe one or two of its own dedicated Consequences, and have attempts made at the Resources skill feed back into that. It also becomes an avenue of attack- you can inflict Financial Damage on entities by hacking their poo poo. In order to recover from Financial consequences, you need to get paid. If you somehow get paid while not under other financial duress, you get a Financial Boost that can be used to bolster a Resources check or protect against a Financial attack. Getting taken out Financially, for a PC, probably just means that they can't do anything involving Resources until they get paid.

Upgrades and loot just become lingering boosts for the PCs. Bought a new gun? You've got a floating Invoke on that gun to be used in an event that would be influenced by your gun being better than your old one. More major stuff like getting a robot arm installed should probably key to campaign milestones, but there's not really anything stopping a PC from spending one of their available Refresh on an extra Stunt slot in the form of their new implant.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Toolkit has cyberware rules, and netrunning would just be a Fate fractal.

But if you want the focus of the game to be accumulating gear and nuyen, then Fate wouldn't be the best system for you because it doesn't get that detailed on equipment.

You could life the Resources stress track from Bulldogs, too, I suppose.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

Lately I've been thinking about how to do Torg in Fate Core. The biggest issue is that I can't think of an easy way to handle axiom levels. I realize I could just use the normal ladders, but I can't figure how to work them into things like disconnecting and transformations. I don't even know what the best way to handle axiom level-to-numerical value stuff.

Atomic Robo. Root at least one of your Mode Aspects in your native axiom -- Robot Mode Aspect: Nikola Tesla's Living Legacy (T24). Other rooted aspects give you a point of refresh, and when you're in a more primitive environment the GM will toss Compels at you as appropriate, and may ask you to beat the base mode value on the Fate Dice if your reality gets stormed.

If not... Golem Mode Aspect: No Memories, Only Orders (M20).

So transformation is not based on how wacked-out your ideas are compared to the native axioms, but how important they are to you.

Does that make sense?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Glazius posted:

Atomic Robo. Root at least one of your Mode Aspects in your native axiom -- Robot Mode Aspect: Nikola Tesla's Living Legacy (T24). Other rooted aspects give you a point of refresh, and when you're in a more primitive environment the GM will toss Compels at you as appropriate, and may ask you to beat the base mode value on the Fate Dice if your reality gets stormed.

If not... Golem Mode Aspect: No Memories, Only Orders (M20).

So transformation is not based on how wacked-out your ideas are compared to the native axioms, but how important they are to you.

Does that make sense?

It does; one other solution I found was to make the axioms into aspects instead of numerical values. So instead of saying that Aysle has a social axiom of X, it has the "All Hail The Queen" global aspect, and instead of tech axiom Y it has "Gunpowder is the cutting edge". Then you can handle contradictions with compels, and if you run out of fate points you run the risk of conversion.

e: to clarify: the axioms-as-aspects was the idea I saw elsewhere, I just came up with the idea of converting when you run out of FP was something I just came up with.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 20, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, just off the top of my head:

When you do something or use something not supported by local reality, the relevant axiom will automatically compel the character. If the character can't (or won't) resist the compel, they disconnect. If the character does resist, he can use that particular tool/power for the rest of the scene.

Example: Bob the Core Earther brings an assault rifle into the fantasy reality of Aysle, which has the technology axiom of "Gunpowder is the cutting edge". Aysle's reality doesn't support the technology of the rifle, so when Bob attempts to fire it, that causes a contradiction. Bob is compelled by the tech axiom, and if he pays out a fate point to resist the compel then he can use his rifle without a hassle for the rest of the scene. If he doesn't resist it, though, he disconnects: he can no longer use or do anything not supported by local reality at all.

Once someone is disconnected, they need to try to reconnect with their home cosm or transform to the reality he's currently in. Every character has a Transformation stress track, that starts at 2 boxes and is modified by the Reality skill. While disconnected, the character becomes engaged in a conflict with the current cosm via a localized reality storm. The cosm's attack skill and number of stress boxes depends on how different the two realities are. Trying to reconnect to Core Earth when in Nippon Tech is pretty easy, but trying to reconnect to the Cyberpapacy while in the Living Land would be pretty drat hard. If the character is taken out, then he converts and has to shift his aspects and whatnot around. If he wins, then he reconnects. The reality storm can't take consequences on itself, but will use collateral consequences to deflect damage.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

Where was the relevant discussion, anyway? I couldn't find anything about that on the Nuklear Power forums.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

Where was the relevant discussion, anyway? I couldn't find anything about that on the Nuklear Power forums.

RPGNet. Some people took offence to the idea that players who refuse to change a system from 10 years ago might be stuck in the past, plus someone dared slander Exalted.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is there a collection of all the icons and graphics used in Fate Core for those of us that want to write up extras?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Elderbean posted:

Is there a collection of all the icons and graphics used in Fate Core for those of us that want to write up extras?

If you mean the font they use for the dice faces / four actions, you can download it here (scroll down a bit).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
RE Torg: Compels that don't let you do things are annoying. Compels should be about your character DOING something, not having to sit on the sidelines/not use their core stuff.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 22, 2015

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any cheat sheet for ARobo's invention and Brainstorm systems? I'm playing this sunday and I'm not completely familiar with them, so a good ol' flowchart would be sweet to have on the table.

I can do one myself after work today I guess, but if there's already one out there I can save me the trouble!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I need a little help.

I'm piecing together a game inspired by Catch-22, X-Files, and Fringe. A world heavily inspired by the Cold War. Players are members of a clandestine government organization that does everything from investigating the supernatural to combating enemy spies, rogue scientists, and the looming threat of communism. Game creation will revolve around creating the agency the party works for, coming up with the major players, and doing everything in their power to make it an oppressive bureaucratic clusterfuck that is both their ally and a constant source of opposition. Aiming for absurdity and horrible political subterfuge.

I'm trying to iron out what skills/powers I'm going to have. Considering Telekinesis, Weird Science, and Pyrokinesis. Should I just create separate skills for them, and give them write-ups for attack, create an advantage, overcome, and defense? Or should I make a general psychic skills and make stunts reflecting the different flavors?

I want to make these bizarre abilities fun, but I don't want to get into Dresden Wizard levels of power.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Elderbean posted:

I want to make these bizarre abilities fun, but I don't want to get into Dresden Wizard levels of power.

Easiest: High concept justifies powers and ask. "Red Chamber Psychic" lets you use physique to withstand bullets by stopping them before they hit you. Make each player explain what they can and can't do with empathy (for telepathy: reading surface thoughts) and have them spend a refresh if it's really superhuman.

"Day after Ragnarok" has a good miracles/psionics/magic/weird science resolution system as well. Well worth a buy.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Golden Bee posted:

Easiest: High concept justifies powers and ask. "Red Chamber Psychic" lets you use physique to withstand bullets by stopping them before they hit you.

This is pretty much all you need if you're not making "fussing with powers" a cornerstone of the game, as it is in something like Dresden. Hash out ahead of time what an Aspect allows you to do, and what requires a Stunt. Generally you still need a stunt to do stuff like use a skill for a different task, or otherwise change the rules of mechanical interaction, or get a bonus.

Like, I've got a person whose weather wizard type Aspect allows her to create and overcome Advantages relating to weather, air movement, and precipitation using Lore. However, if she wants to be able to fly by summoning up a localized windstorm around her, that needs its own Stunt. Instead, she opted to take a stunt that lets her attack a whole zone with ice and lightning at the cost of a Fate token.

I've got another person who has a Stunt that lets him create Phantasmal illusions using Craft, and an Aspect "Expect the Unexpected" that he can invoke to do probability-manipulation tricks on whatever skill is relevant at the time.

Continuing on the first person's "Lore as a generic skill for magic", another PC can attempt to perform diviniation and prophecy type actions using Lore because she does "Fortune Teller poo poo". She has a corresponding drawback Aspect that I frequently compel to have her learn something ominous for herself or the party, instead of what she was trying to learn. Her stunt is another big attack magic, where she gets to use her (already very high) Lore to do a shoot-type attack at +4, in the form of a massive flash of holy light, once again at the cost of a Fate Token.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 23, 2015

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Hey, I got a question about Aspects, because a game I'm about to run has... hit a bit of a snag.

I'm going to try and run Mouse Guard in FAE (I'm not a fan of how... structured Burning Wheel is), and I've hit a sticky issue with Aspects, particularly the High Concept.

How do I do a High Concept in a Mouse Guard game?

For those who aren't familiar with the Burning Wheel RPG/The Comics, the idea behind Mouse Guard is that it's set in a fictional version of Michigan where animals are sentient. All animals are capable of sentient thought, but only Mice and Weasels (and Fishers, Ferrets, etc.) have developed civilization. The players are members of the Mouse Guard, a sorta mix between Knightly Order and fantasy Rangers. They blaze trails, escort travelers, deliver mail, help towns and cities with problems they can't handle, and most importantly defend the territories from hostile animals and predators.

My issue is... every character has the same rough concept: They are a member of a Patrol of the Mouse Guard. How would I get a decent variety of High Concepts when the players all have that sorta similarity?

Any advice?

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
It's totally fine to just have a standard Member of the Mouse Guard aspect (either a campaign aspect, or just one that's on everyone's sheet) for everyone to draw on, then ask for a personal high concept that covers their unique concept. Kenzie is the Sagacious Voice of Reason, Saxon is the Hot-Headed Master Swordmouse, Lieam is the Young But Eager Recruit, Celanawe is the Grizzled Oldfur of Legend.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

So, how's this so far?

Extra: Telepathy

Permissions: One aspect reflecting that you've gained Telepathy, generally as the result of a clandestine government experiment.

Costs: Skill ranks in Empathy.

Agents with Telepathy posses the ability manipulate people without directly interacting with them. They can receive information, send information, and manipulate emotions. Agents normally gained their abilities as the result of aggressive and often morally ambiguous government experiments. Perhaps their abilities are the result of genetic engineering, synthetic drugs, or intensive psycho-surgery. Players are encouraged to discuss the flavor/backstory of their abilities with the GM.

Overcome: Use Empathy to gain/send information to others over a distance. If the target is unwilling they oppose with will.

Create an Advantage: Use Empathy to plant thoughts, manipulate emotions, or alter memories. Target defends with will. Success allows you to place mental aspects on the target.

Attack: You cannot directly harm someone with telepathy.

Defend: You can use Empathy or Will to defend against psychic intrusions, whichever is higher.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Elderbean posted:

So, how's this so far?

Extra: Telepathy

Permissions: One aspect reflecting that you've gained Telepathy, generally as the result of a clandestine government experiment.

Costs: Skill ranks in Empathy.

Agents with Telepathy posses the ability manipulate people without directly interacting with them. They can receive information, send information, and manipulate emotions. Agents normally gained their abilities as the result of aggressive and often morally ambiguous government experiments. Perhaps their abilities are the result of genetic engineering, synthetic drugs, or intensive psycho-surgery. Players are encouraged to discuss the flavor/backstory of their abilities with the GM.

Overcome: Use Empathy to gain/send information to others over a distance. If the target is unwilling they oppose with will.

Create an Advantage: Use Empathy to plant thoughts, manipulate emotions, or alter memories. Target defends with will. Success allows you to place mental aspects on the target.

Attack: You cannot directly harm someone with telepathy.

Defend: You can use Empathy or Will to defend against psychic intrusions, whichever is higher.

I'd consider making Will the default defense, and having a Stunt along the lines of "Psychic Duelist" that lets you use Empathy, instead. Otherwise you have somebody using what is probably their apex Skill for both offense and defense at no particular cost.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm running a sort of Metal Gear/Deus Ex/Archer/Alpha Protocol mashup and I'm looking for tips on how to Effectively GM. I understand that offering compels is really important for the players to have a good balance of Fate Points. Any other pitfalls? The closest thing I've run is Dungeon World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

I'm running a sort of Metal Gear/Deus Ex/Archer/Alpha Protocol mashup and I'm looking for tips on how to Effectively GM. I understand that offering compels is really important for the players to have a good balance of Fate Points. Any other pitfalls? The closest thing I've run is Dungeon World.

You might want to go with a 3 by 3 to fill out your world. Each player gives you: 3 allies, 3 people they rely on but don't trust, and 3 people who've betrayed them/they've betrayed.

Mix and match and you've got a whole ton of adventures.