Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

WitchFetish posted:

During the airplane battle, I thought the solution to "how do we find the Stand user" was rather simple : just find whoever has the most flamboyant outfit. Then it turned out that the Stand user was just some old man.

But then, Polnareff happened and yeah, they should have seen this one coming.

They're in the eighties, man, everyone was flamboyant as gently caress except the oldsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
There's flamboyant and there's being incredibly buff and filling out an elegant evening gown.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

There's flamboyant and there's being incredibly buff and filling out an elegant evening gown.

To be fair, the others seemed at least a bit suspicious from what I remember. Who accepted him? Joseph Joestar, the man who brought tequila.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

I guess some men just have weaknesses. I would have fallen for the same trick myself.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

I guess some men just have weaknesses. I would have fallen for the same trick myself.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Updated second post, will add more as we go along. I'll be adding Avdol, Kakyoin, and Gray Fly later. That goes for character notes as well that I can't post right now cause spoilers, but I figured this would be a fun thing to do for everyone since I sort of want to let people get an idea of what the manga looked like for certain characters while showing off some JoJo stuff over the past few decades. This should go without saying though, don't read any of the comments in the videos I put there.

Also fun fact, Star Platinum looked a hell of a lot different when he debuted in the manga.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Updated second post, will add more as we go along. I'll be adding Avdol, Kakyoin, and Gray Fly later. That goes for character notes as well that I can't post right now cause spoilers, but I figured this would be a fun thing to do for everyone since I sort of want to let people get an idea of what the manga looked like for certain characters while showing off some JoJo stuff over the past few decades. This should go without saying though, don't read any of the comments in the videos I put there.

Also fun fact, Star Platinum looked a hell of a lot different when he debuted in the manga.

When I first saw Star Platinum like that in the manga, my first thought was "Kars? What the gently caress?!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Orgia Carnaval posted:

He looks like he's about to beat the poo poo out of someone while enjoying every moment of it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I think Araki was going for like, reflecting the user's face in the stand until he thought up Magician's Red and realized he couldn't give Avdol a beak.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He looks like he's about to beat the poo poo out of someone while enjoying every moment of it.

Waffleman_ posted:

Please stop. We haven't gotten to these things yet and they are great things.

Edit: I mean, I don't see how you can not recognize literally posting panels from later in the manga as spoilers.

I couldn't even tell you what's going on in mine because I never read Stardust Crusaders. :v:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 26, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
e: thought this was the manga thread, sorry!

Hace fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 26, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Edit: I mean, I don't see how you can not recognize literally posting panels from later in the manga as spoilers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright, we're all up to date. New stand guy from new episode (I have no idea who he is, who could he be?) goes up next week.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well I'm sure we'll get an eye full of him.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

If you think posting images of Star Platinum punching things is a spoiler you got a very loose definition of spoilers

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

boredsatellite posted:

If you think posting images of Star Platinum punching things is a spoiler you got a very loose definition of spoilers

Find me one person that is here to watch the show solely for plot and character development.

People need to put more thought and effort into it if they want to show off their knowledge of the ~original media~.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Good job so far on the cards Orgia, much more concise than my :goonsay: would have been.

One of the reasons why I like Part 3 and the motif, in general, is that Tarot is pretty much all about the journey. Everything depends on the relationship to the other cards that are placed in the spread and can be interpreted a number of different ways based solely on that.

While Araki may have just picked something neat, occult, and different to Japanese eyes; I really get the feeling with many of these cards that he treated them like characters and picked their names very much on purpose to the characters and events they are prescribed to. More thought went into this than Evangelion's christian symbolism, at the very least, and Araki's attention to detail definitely comes through. In fact there's only one set of cards that I would disagree about who it belongs to, but that's a spoiler filled story for another day.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's time for Stand Stats and powers. Were I will explain the general powers of Stands

Stat Explanation
Star Platinum
Tower of Gray
Hermit Purple
Magician's Red
Hierophant Green
Silver Chariot
Dark Blue Moon
Strength
Ebony Devil
Yellow Temperance
Emperor
Hanged Man
Empress

General Stand Rules

-A person can only have one Stand

-As a Stand is part of the user, damage is reflected between the two. In most circumstances, if the Stand's leg is sliced off, the user will lose their leg as well.

-Stands can only be seen by Stand users.

-The further the Stand is from its user, the weaker the Stand becomes, with most only being capable of acting within three meters. An exception is Hierophant Green

-Stands are usually bound to the user's body.

-Most Stands have no personal goals, serving their master without question.

A Stand's abilities are categorized by 6 statistics: Destructive power, speed, range, durability/staying, precision and developmental potential/learning.

Destructive Power:
Measures the Stand's strength and ability to cause destruction in a given period of time. Not only limited to brute force, but also to its abilities combined.

Speed:
Measures the Stand's agility and performance speed.

Range:
Measures the Stand's range of manifestation, range of ability influence, and spatial mobility.

Durability/Staying:
Measures the Stand's endurance and level of susceptibility to damage and attacks. May also gauge the effectiveness of the ability's binding toward physical objects.

Precision:
Measures the Stand's accuracy and its ability's range of influence to specified targets.

Development Potential/Learning:
Measures the Stand's possible functions and utilization of its abilities and powers. This rank gets lower as a user masters their stands power as they have less to improve upon.

Each statistic is ranked from A to E Rankings are defined as follows:

A: Excellent
B: Good
C: Average (the same level as a normal person)
D: Weak
E: Very Weak

For range, rankings are defined as follows:

A: Around 100m or more.
B: Around 50m.
C: Around 20m.
D: Around 10m.
E: Around 2m.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 21, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

boredsatellite posted:

It's a scene from the manga that wasn't shown in the anime yet, plus it's not like he's punching a wall of brick or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

His precision is E even though he could rip the tongues from three people's mouths at once?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

His precision is E even though he could rip the tongues from three people's mouths at once?

On the grading scale of stands I don't think that's all that precise. I mean all he did was just shoot through the back of their head and come out their mouth, that doesn't actually seem all that precise.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Time for Stand stats and powers.

Stat Explanation
Star Platinum
Hermit Purple
Magician's Red
Hierophant Green
Silver Chariot
Dark Blue Moon
Strength
Ebony Devil
Yellow Temperance
Emperor
Hanged Man
Empress

Today we will focus on Gray Fly's Tower of Gray.

Stats

Destructive Power: Rank E
Speed: Rank A
Range: Rank A
Durability: Rank C
Precision: Rank E
Developmental Potential: Rank E

Powers

Gray Stinger: Its defining feature is its long, extend-able stinger, which protrudes from its mouth. It has enough force to tear flesh apart or force its way right through. Combined with its amazing speed, Tower of Gray is capable of killing multiple people in a very short amount of time and even go through the head of a person with great ease.

Speed: Perhaps one of it's greatest traits is its amazing speed, Tower of Gray is able to easily outmaneuver A ranked speed Stands such as Star Platinum and Hierophant Green's Emerald Splash at close range. According to it's user, Tower of Grey is even capable dodging multiple point blank gun fire easily.

Pros and Cons

Pros
Faster then almost any other stand.
It's massive range allows the user to stay out of the fight.
It's Stinger packs quite a bit of piercing power.

Cons
Can't take much punishment.
Lack strength to deal large amounts of damage.
It's lack of precision prevents it from reacting quickly to attacks it can't see coming.

Next I will cover Jotaro's Star Platinum.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 21, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They were sleeping and in a row, and he just rammed straight through their heads. Don't need to be precise for that.

Also, the best part of the episode was when the "oons oons" music started playing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if there's any PUAs that find inspiration in Jotaro constantly negging bitches.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

he got nabbed by the far slower stand of kakyoin, so his precision is suspect.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Power rankings are stupid and never make sense.

Also you fuckers keep forgetting to label your manga spoilers.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It is normal that I read that power ranking in the JoJo "default exposition" voice? (The one that randomly introduces Straits' finger pressure or Santana's "mobile meat" thing)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Freakazoid_ posted:

Well it's not really a power ranking it's just the stats of the stand. We can actually see them in the middle of the episode. Though they are not labeled and explained like I did here.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

JDRockefeller posted:

When I first saw Star Platinum like that in the manga, my first thought was "Kars? What the gently caress?!"

Star Platinum is Bruford actually.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Robviously posted:

More thought went into this than Evangelion's christian symbolism, at the very least, and Araki's attention to detail definitely comes through. In fact there's only one set of cards that I would disagree about who it belongs to, but that's a spoiler filled story for another day.

Well, that's not a particularly high hurdle. Anyways, the whole tarot thing is fun and Araki did both use it for inspiration for villains of the week and to provide some sort of baseline for the personalities of more important characters so it's pretty cool.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Power rankings are double-stupid in Jojo because it's not the most powerful dude the one that wins the fights but the one who can use its stand abilities the best. Although there are some disgustingly powerful stands, of course.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 26, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
If you're thinking too hard about the stats then you're missing the point of Jojo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Coming back to the episode, I thought it was a bit jarring how the team thought the beetle was a stand right away "Another Stand attack?!" when it's only the second one at this point, including Kakyoin's fight with Jotaro.

It was like that in the manga too, but still.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 27, 2014

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Coming back to the episode, I thought it was a bit jarring how the team thought the beetle was a stand right away "Another Stand attack?!" when it's only the second one at this point, including Kakyoin's fight with Jotaro.

The translation is a bit lax. He says "A new stand that soon?".

-e-
After all they boarded the plane one or two days after they found out about Holly's condition.

-2nd e-
Maybe I should read posts two times.
Still, a loving stag beetle on a plane is weird.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 27, 2014

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Well, normal people can't see stands, right? And they weren't exactly on the way to Egypt for a fun vacation. It seems like a reasonable suspicion given the circumstances.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Kaislioc posted:

Well, normal people can't see stands, right? And they weren't exactly on the way to Egypt for a fun vacation. It seems like a reasonable suspicion given the circumstances.

I don't think it's that large a leap in logic to make. I've flown hundreds of times and never seen a bug on a flight. So it's definitely a strange thing to see. When it's a strange thing to see and you know you're going to be attacked by strange things, I don't think it's that large a leap.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It was a stag beetle, too. They're not exactly common, let alone on airplanes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

trucutru posted:

Power rankings are double-stupid in Jojo because it's not the most powerful dude the one that wins the fights but the one who can use its stand abilities the best. Although there are some disgustingly powerful stands, of course.

Indeed the stats just give some idea of what the stand can do along with it's pro's and cons.

Tower of Grey. It's a super fast but stand that can act really far away from it's user. It's not very strong nor is it as aware as most stands and it is fairly fragile.

Ranking two Stands by their stats is stupid. Star Platinum has vastly superior stats to Tower of Grey other then it's range (Which is crap). However it is a poor match up for Tower of Grey. They are both Tower of Grey is much faster and unlike with Jotaro Grey Fly does not have to be anywhere near his stand for it to be used meaning he could just focus on Jotaro while avoiding SP with his speed.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The real answer is the beetle was swole as hell.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pomp posted:

I wonder if there's any PUAs that find inspiration in Jotaro constantly negging bitches.

That is something I do not want to think about.

Speaking of which, my only exposure to Part 3 was through the newer OVAs (I have not seen the older OVAs that show the second half of the story), and comparing the characterization of Jotaro between them is interesting. The OVA downplays Jotaro's surliness, but it leaves a character that is stoic all the time, to the point where he is completely uninteresting. Yes, Jotaro in the anime/manga is initially off-putting, but it does give him an actual personality, especially in the small bits where he drops the Badass act. The most telling scene is in the third episode, where Jotaro loses his poo poo over the thought of his mother overexerting herself and making a bad situation worse.

Compared to the OVA, when they find out about his Mother's Stand, he is basically "Yeah, whatever. gently caress it, lets go to Egypt."

As an aside, the OVA seems to have him spit out "Yare yare daze" a lot more.

My favorite part of the newest episode was Joesph and Jotaro talking about landing the plane.

Jotaro: "You DO know how to fly a plane, right?"
Joesph: "Well...yes, but this is my third time...the plane was crashing the other two times too
Jotaro: :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

trucutru posted:

Actually, that's pretty cool. One of the things I hated about anime like DBZ is that all you had to do was boost your power level and the other guy couldn't touch you, outspeed you, or use any kind of special technique to hit you.

Except, y'know, Destructo Disc. Which apparently got nerfed in the Cell arc, since it just bounced off of Perfect Cell.

• Locked thread