Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kin posted:

Hmm, with the second part so far off how likely is it to get a 66% reduction come Christmas?

Like, i'm tempted to get it, but with so many games to currently play and with the second part of the game still to come out, it seems like the sensible option is to wait.

I mean it's not like they'd reduce the discount now that it's had 50% off would they?

Probably not. It'll be that cheap again come Winter, and likely when the final chapter is out as well. Just buy it as one package down the line.

It's pretty good, the first half, at least. Very simple, but fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Kin posted:

Hmm, with the second part so far off how likely is it to get a 66% reduction come Christmas?

Like, i'm tempted to get it, but with so many games to currently play and with the second part of the game still to come out, it seems like the sensible option is to wait.

I mean it's not like they'd reduce the discount now that it's had 50% off would they?

I'd be very surprised if it's not on sale again in the winter sale, and it'll probably go on sale again at some point after the second half is out.

E:fb

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I wonder if this is the fastest a Square Enix game has been reduced so dramatically (M:SS was released in June!!!), and also why anyone buys a Square Enix game at launch is beyond me. $15 for Murdered Soul Suspect seems like the price it should have been at launch in the first place. But that sucks for anyone who paid $50 6-7 weeks ago.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wonder if this is the fastest a Square Enix game has been reduced so dramatically (M:SS was released in June!!!), and also why anyone buys a Square Enix game at launch is beyond me. $15 for Murdered Soul Suspect seems like the price it should have been at launch in the first place. But that sucks for anyone who paid $50 6-7 weeks ago.

You know what you're getting when you buy a sight unseen game at first day pricing.

disappointment

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Probably the fastest now. I remember Kane and Lynch 2 went to $5 only three months after it came out on Steam.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Thief plunged in price almost immediately but that's probably because nobody bought it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rirse posted:

Probably the fastest now. I remember Kane and Lynch 2 went to $5 only three months after it came out on Steam.

HOnestly KnL2 was a pretty solid game with some dark as gently caress antiheroes. I think the deliberate gameplay mechanical choices they made alongside the completely unforgivable protagonists made it a hard pill for people to swallow, especially in the heyday of the pixel accuracy of COD and Battlefield with the everyheroUSA characters .

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Yodzilla posted:

Thief plunged in price almost immediately but that's probably because nobody bought it.

If those taffers had actually made a proper reboot, by the Builder I'd have bought myself a copy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

HOnestly KnL2 was a pretty solid game with some dark as gently caress antiheroes. I think the deliberate gameplay mechanical choices they made alongside the completely unforgivable protagonists made it a hard pill for people to swallow, especially in the heyday of the pixel accuracy of COD and Battlefield with the everyheroUSA characters .

I think K&L2 is yet another game that would have been better as something besides a shooter. I can totally get behind absolute shitheel protagonists that do nothing but cause massive gently caress ups but the entire game was just the exact same third person shooting over and over. The only thing that came close to a set piece, the helicopter ride, is really just a glorified turret section. Basically nothing about the game changed even a little from the very first second of gameplay to the very last and the fact that I don't think it's very good third person shooting either doesn't help.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The fact that the story mode was about 3-4 hours, tops, probably didn't help.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is SAM Idling no longer working? I was in Crimsonland for two hours and only got a single card about twenty minutes in the game and nothing else since. I am now idling in Last Express and same deal of one card after twenty minutes and nothing since.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The card drop rate has slowed a bit since the summer sale, but you should still be getting them. It used to take me an hour to get all the drops for a game but now it's more like 2 hours. Not a big deal either way but they definitely slowed it a little.

E: I'm not using SAM but idling nonetheless

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Can't be real.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The developer (Airtight) is out of business; I'm not sure how royalties work now, but they may be trying to sell it as cheap as possible for that very reason (patches, what patches.)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh poo poo Airtight closed its doors? I guess making an Ouya exclusive didn't work out so well for them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Are there any good recent city building games? I heard SimCity 2013 was complete garbage but I'm looking for something different from SimCity 4 too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4efkoiswjc
That's a ten minute gameplay demo-ish video of Risen 3. Looks like it could be alright. They talk a lot about Risen 1 and the original Gothics. The game itself

I think it's interesting to watch different games talk about their big open-world narrative driven process and whatnot. You guys think Risen 3 could be a solid rpg entry into 2014/15?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Are there any good recent city building games? I heard SimCity 2013 was complete garbage but I'm looking for something different from SimCity 4 too.

Banished is a pretty fun game. http://store.steampowered.com/app/242920/

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Both the Tropico and ANNO series are excellent city builders. For Tropico I recommend 4's complete pack (5 is good but 4 is a more complete and imo better package) and for ANNO either 1404 or 2070 based on whether you want historical or sci-fi.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's also the Tropico series. 3 is a fun game and while I haven't played 4 I've heard its also just as good. Haven't really looked for opinions on 5.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

Oh poo poo Airtight closed its doors? I guess making an Ouya exclusive didn't work out so well for them.

Happened earlier this month. I wouldn't blame just the Ouya exclusive "Soul Fjord" (though it didn't help), rumors are that they had layoffs earlier this year, and Murdered was their last hope for staying afloat. The Metacritic score was 60 so welp.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How long is Broken age? 5-8 hours? If it's ten, then I might buy it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ManOfTheYear posted:

The first half was about 4+ hours. I'm not sure how long the second half will be. They're taking their time making it so I'm assuming it'll be about the same length.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

The first half was about 4+ hours. I'm not sure how long the second half will be. They're taking their time making it so I'm assuming it'll be about the same length.

Hrmh, okay. I know that short and sweet is much better than long and boring, but still, you can buy good AND long games with that 10 bucks too.

Does Shovel Knight support all kinds of controllers or just 360 one? I have this lovely Logitech controller and I'm wondering if it would work.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ManOfTheYear posted:

What if it's a good 4, but a bad 10? Would you still rather buy the 10?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ManOfTheYear posted:

Hrmh, okay. I know that short and sweet is much better than long and boring, but still, you can buy good AND long games with that 10 bucks too.

I dunno, maybe I'm just getting a bit ADHD in my old age and with little time to spare and almost no time for long gaming sessions, but I much prefer a shorter and sweet game that is 4~7 hours than something that's 10+ (even if it's long and good). But this is just personal preference I guess.

I just finished Arkham Origins, and while it's actually quite good, I was ready for it to be over with several hours before it was. I felt that way a lot of the games I've played recently :(

But yeah Broken Age is really like ~4 hrs +/- hours IIRC.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've beaten a lot more short games than long games recently. Broken Age (4+ hrs), Strider (5+ hrs), Gunpoint (3+ hrs), Gone Home (2 hrs), Wolf Among Us (90 minute episodes), Chronology (2 hours), Brothers Tale of Two Sons (3 hrs), and right now I'm playing Papo & Yo which is also 3 hrs. It's just nice to play a game that is fun to play and doesn't overstay its welcome.

But at the same time I also have games like TF2 and Terraria that I've sunk hundreds of hours into, and 'endless/roguelike' games like Tower of Guns and Binding of Isaac. So it's not just one way.

It is a situation where I pull up a game from my backlog, see that it's 20+ gigs to install, and takes 20+ hours to beat, and I make an audible "ugggghh" noise and don't bother.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It's hilarious that people are still surprised by Squeenix sales. It's like Tuesday Steam maintenance. For years now their games have hit 75% off within a few months regardless of sales. Tomb Raider, which sold extremely well (by normal standards, not Squeenix's) was half price on Amazon within a month, and 75% off at GMG the month after that. They are not afraid to discount a game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The important thing is.. is Murdered Soul Suspect worth it even at $15? What if it goes to $5 in the winter??? What then??

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
From what I've seen of Murdered it looks like that's a pretty decent deal for it if you like adventurey type games.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

It's just nice to play a game that is fun to play and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Yep! For me, there's something oddly weary-some and draining about playing a singleplayer game for over week a more. It took me well over a month to finally finish Dark Souls 2 because I was mostly squeezing in hour sessions here and there and by the end of it, I was glad when I finished the last boss. Everyone says "Oh but the game really starts at NG+!" and I just go :negative:

...I miss being young :(

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone still playing ACAH multiplayer? The SP is okay but I'd like to shoot down some real people.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Accordion Man posted:

There's also the Tropico series. 3 is a fun game and while I haven't played 4 I've heard its also just as good. Haven't really looked for opinions on 5.

The main problem with the Tropico series is that since 3, there hasn't been a lot of difference between them. 5 is apparently basically 4 with the Modern Times expansion and some tweaks, and not worth the extra money over 4 Collector's Bundle.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Delusibeta posted:

The main problem with the Tropico series is that since 3, there hasn't been a lot of difference between them. 5 is apparently basically 4 with the Modern Times expansion and some tweaks, and not worth the extra money over 4 Collector's Bundle.

I heard there was multiplayer? I haven't bought it yet, waiting on a sale.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Xaris posted:

...I miss being young :(

:(:hf::(

I don't have time for long games now anymore either. I have a terrible backlog, and some of the longer games are just right off the radar. Mostly just play MP games to play for an hour or so with friends or one that I can make a contribution in a fairly short period. Tried DS2, but just don't have the time to play to get good enough. Feel like I'm spending most of my time fighting the controls.

Remember the days where I used to sink HOURS on a weekend into some RPG and think it was over too soon.

Oh well. Spintires and Payday will sustain me.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ace Combat, How hardcore is the simulation for a guy who just wants to fly around and shoot stuff?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Underwhelmed posted:

Darkwood

"Oh look mushrooms!" *Mushrooms emit cloud of poisonous spores on approach, player dies half blind a few minutes later*

"I'm not going to fall for those mushrooms again. Oh look a corpse to loot!" *corpse conceals mushrooms, gets poisoned, fumbles back to cabin, gets killed by poop throwing mutant that has moved into living-room*

"I have a board with a nail in it, I am going to murder that mutant this time" *small mutant is gone, giant mutant has taken its place, it has 3 times the reach of a nail board. Death*

"I see a pile of wood over there, I am not going near that"

True; especially the mushrooms. On my first "day" I died from poisoning by stepping on those fuckers in my own home. Later on I found out that you can harvest them, although I have yet to test my luck trying to step on those "mushroom remains", and you can easily find what you need to do to rid the poison.

There are several things I have not figured out yet. Like how to setup bear/glass traps, or how permanent or effective are those "powers" I get from extracting essence from mushrooms etc.

But the game (with a setting of about 85% gamma for my screen) looks fantastic for my taste. Those shadows and the cone of sight mechanics work amazingly well. I also like the sounds and the odd music at times, although at times I was thinking that certain parts were too quite and could use more ambience (I have sound and music volume at max setting).

All in all though, very positive impressions.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

PrinceRandom posted:

Ace Combat, How hardcore is the simulation for a guy who just wants to fly around and shoot stuff?

Ace combat has always been more of a arcade game than a sim. So you'll be fine, except for those awful turret segments that go on for to long.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

bengy81 posted:

Anybody pick up Dungeon Defenders Eternity?

I know goons have opinions about That game, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, just curious if Eternity is worth upgrading to.

As someone who enjoyed the original, maybe. The tavern is really the worst goddamn thing, I can't organize my poo poo at all anymore thanks to the constant lag from new connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

AbstractNapper posted:

True; especially the mushrooms. On my first "day" I died from poisoning by stepping on those fuckers in my own home. Later on I found out that you can harvest them, although I have yet to test my luck trying to step on those "mushroom remains", and you can easily find what you need to do to rid the poison.

There are several things I have not figured out yet. Like how to setup bear/glass traps, or how permanent or effective are those "powers" I get from extracting essence from mushrooms etc.

But the game (with a setting of about 85% gamma for my screen) looks fantastic for my taste. Those shadows and the cone of sight mechanics work amazingly well. I also like the sounds and the odd music at times, although at times I was thinking that certain parts were too quite and could use more ambience (I have sound and music volume at max setting).

All in all though, very positive impressions.

I have no idea what the hell I am doing but I am enjoying what little I have played. It sort of reminds me of the early days of Don't Starve, except dark dark instead of silly dark. Also my average time to death is a lot shorter.

• Locked thread