Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you poor bastard. nothing outside that base but car dealerships and a super wal mart

When were you there last? St. Roberts actually built up a lot after around 2008 or so. I mean, we're talking adult superstores and strip joint compounds.

At least there's a Sonic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

2003 lol

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Have a VA claim in. I submitted it in March 2018. It was originally supposed to be decided in April, that was pushed out until July. I checked this morning and now it's pushed out to February 2020. Two loving years. I guess the backpay will be nice.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

MonkeyWash posted:

Have a VA claim in. I submitted it in March 2018. It was originally supposed to be decided in April, that was pushed out until July. I checked this morning and now it's pushed out to February 2020. Two loving years. I guess the backpay will be nice.

Two loving years for an initial claim?

That ain't right. Start making some noise, contact a VSO.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

McNally posted:

Two loving years for an initial claim?

That ain't right. Start making some noise, contact a VSO.

I'm not really sure if the claim counts as an initial. It's for a new Special Monthly Compensation though. I have a lawyer on working on it, I'm waiting to hear back from him.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

So after a lengthy back and forth between the VA, my Representative's office, and the Air Force Board of Corrections or something like that, they have decided that I am stuck paying for the SBP for the rest of my life with no possible way out.

As a recap, I never received a bill for this until 3 years after I was medically retired. I thought I didn't sign up for it. Apparently I did. And you can't get out of it except between the first and second year - real convenient that I didn't get a bill until this period was over! After that you are a slave to the system as apparently you aren't allowed to ever decide you don't want to participate again. And I'm also stuck paying for the interest that has accrued during those first three years AND while I was fighting it.

I was medically retired at 27 and will most likely die from a heart related complication, thus my wife would receive money from DIC therefore completely invalidating any and all money I will be forced to pay into the SBP until I am 70 years old.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 27, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

drat that sucks. No further legal avenues?

The VA thinks I owe them $700 because the Army said I was still drilling for an entire year after I ETSed and was receiving my tiny VA compensation amount during that reported period. Even though I didn't start receiving VA money until 5-6 months after I ETSed, dunno if it's even worth the effort to fight them on it over that amount.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

DoktorLoken posted:

The VA thinks I owe them $700 because the Army said I was still drilling for an entire year after I ETSed and was receiving my tiny VA compensation amount during that reported period. Even though I didn't start receiving VA money until 5-6 months after I ETSed, dunno if it's even worth the effort to fight them on it over that amount.

Never don't fight the VA

GoGoGadget posted:

I was medically retired at 27 and will most likely die from a heart related complication, thus my wife would receive money from DIC therefore completely invalidating any and all money I will be forced to pay into the SBP until I am 70 years old.

We're hoping to get the SBP-DIC offset repealed this year. There's a strong possibility of it. I know it's of little comfort now, but... at least there's that?

Also if you are affected by the offset, they refund the money you paid into SBP.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

I doubt it. It's an actual law that you're stuck in it except between nthe first and second year, apparently. It would take an act of Congress to change it. The VA even brought this up passive aggressively to my representative asking if they were planning on changing the law.

McNally posted:

We're hoping to get the SBP-DIC offset repealed this year. There's a strong possibility of it. I know it's of little comfort now, but... at least there's that?

Also if you are affected by the offset, they refund the money you paid into SBP.

That is a big part of why I don't want it, so that does help. Hope it goes through. I really don't like the idea of being forced to pay for it for the rest of my life if I don't want to, though. Especially since I wasn't actually given the opportunity to get out of it since I never received a bill until after that period. Literally no other life insurance I know of works that way.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Some Mission Act stuff being discussed in the get help thread that I am going to reply to here so we don't clog up that thread :)

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bolded something that grabbed my eye - is that urgent care like a walk in clinic or ER rooms? The fact that they're adding copays to my VA coverage is irritating enough, but just :wtc: if they are taking away emergency room coverage.

The VA Mission Act of 2018 ( https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/2372/text ) says

quote:

“(h) Walk-In Care Defined.—In this section, the term ‘walk-in care’ means non-emergent care provided by a qualifying non-Department entity or provider that furnishes episodic care and not longitudinal management of conditions and is otherwise defined through regulations the Secretary shall promulgate.”.

There is nothing in that at all about copayments for any community care other than for what they define as Walk-In care. I think it's safe to say that if you're in a priority group that doesn't pay a copayment, then you're not going to pay a copayment for community care, unless you are utilizing the new urgent care / walk-in care option.

But for myself, I already pay a copay for every visit (and have done so since I was enrolled in 2012), so I would expect things to be no different if I were doing community care and I would have to provide a copayment.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Sarah posted:

Some Mission Act stuff being discussed in the get help thread that I am going to reply to here so we don't clog up that thread :)

The VA Mission Act of 2018 ( https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/2372/text ) says

There is nothing in that at all about copayments for any community care other than for what they define as Walk-In care. I think it's safe to say that if you're in a priority group that doesn't pay a copayment, then you're not going to pay a copayment for community care, unless you are utilizing the new urgent care / walk-in care option.

But for myself, I already pay a copay for every visit (and have done so since I was enrolled in 2012), so I would expect things to be no different if I were doing community care and I would have to provide a copayment.

So a new training came out today about Emergency Care Reimbursement. It had this little part:

quote:

VA can pay certain costs the Veteran is personally liable for when they are eligible. However, by law, VA cannot pay copayments, coinsurance, and/or deductibles the Veteran owes to a third party or is responsible for under a health-plan contract

So it seems that if you are making the choice to get community care and that provider has a copay, you have to pay it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Hooray! They’ve made the system even worse.

I’ve been skeptical of the MISSION act as I think it’s just another step on the republican grift wagon of converting VA care to block grants to states so veterans get even less coverage and republican states can hide their budget shortfalls better.

I’ll be using less community care as a result. My hip surgery, for example, which could not be performed inside the va system would have cost me hundreds or more if I were charged copays and such for all of my doctor visits. At the time I was unemployed and could not have afforded the extra costs.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Anyone know a good place to get a suit that fits well and isnt goddamn a fortune? Cant find a suits for soldiers thing anywhere near me.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
How nice of a suit do you need? I don't know where you are, but if you have JC Penney around they will measure and fit you for free, and they have a lot of affordable suits. You'll probably still have to do some tailoring if it's for a nice event or something.

I've had some success at Men's Wearhouse too, but it's a bit more pricey. The quality is definitely better and they do in house tailoring for any suit you buy there. They always have sales happening so make sure you check before you go.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

U.S. Barryl posted:

How nice of a suit do you need? I don't know where you are, but if you have JC Penney around they will measure and fit you for free, and they have a lot of affordable suits. You'll probably still have to do some tailoring if it's for a nice event or something.

I've had some success at Men's Wearhouse too, but it's a bit more pricey. The quality is definitely better and they do in house tailoring for any suit you buy there. They always have sales happening so make sure you check before you go.

Thanks. Basically, its for interviews. I'll keep looking around, just trying to avoid paying a lot if there are programs out there for it.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
https://suitingwarriors.org/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Soulex posted:

Anyone know a good place to get a suit that fits well and isnt goddamn a fortune? Cant find a suits for soldiers thing anywhere near me.

Goodwill/Salvation Army and a good tailor. A little patience you can get something nice, I got a $3000 suit for $50 plus another $80 for tailoring.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Try to avoid Polyester suits if possible. Wool will look/feel better while wearing.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Where are you interviewing? The suit has really gone away even at Wall Street. DC seems to be the lone exception.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Im in SoCal, and havent gotten an interview yet, but even then the nicer clothes I have are jeans and a polo.

Ill do some more digging around and see what I cant find in my area. I just hated looking like a kid weaing his dad's clothes. Thanks!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Where are you interviewing? The suit has really gone away even at Wall Street. DC seems to be the lone exception.

I'm a big proponent of sticking with the suit. I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
It really depends on the industry and area. I interviewed at Apple and MS HQs 4 years ago. My 2 friends who work at Apple told me to not wear a suit as it would show that I wouldn't be a good culture fit. Lo and behold I'm being interviewed by employees in jeans and tshirts.

Worst case you can wear a suit and ditch the tie if needed. If it's a govvie contracting gig, then a suit is safe.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If you're in a time crunch, one of the suggestions above will work. If you want to have a few options, watch for Men's Wearhouse sales, they do buy-one-get-one half off pretty regularly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I have to wear suits all the time. If you’re going to court/arbitration/mediation you wear a suit.

I need more suits.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Get your suit measurements and buy them on eBay for like 1/3 the price of retail.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Got this in an email from the VA. Felt it was worth sharing?

Link

Comments don’t seem promising lol

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
That’s a nice gesture but space-a has always seemed to be a lot more trouble than it’s worth. This isn’t the bygone era of the Cold War military when there were nearly empty hops all of the time.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

There is an ANG KC-135 wing here, that'd be pretty cool to fly on for free if I had the benefit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

e.pilot posted:

That’s a nice gesture but space-a has always seemed to be a lot more trouble than it’s worth. This isn’t the bygone era of the Cold War military when there were nearly empty hops all of the time.

Bingo. There are a lot fewer destinations, and they're often not in places you want to go. I never took the chance of getting somewhere and not being able to return on another space-a, and being forced to pay last-minute ticket prices which would end up costing far more than a commercial round trip in the first place. Also lol good luck using leave

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Finally I've joined the ranks of the disabled veterans and am getting my sweet sweet government cheese.

Actually I just did it for the VA loan funding fee exemption, but the good thing is my kids get free tuition at any UC/CSU, which is a pretty loving good deal. Assuming these dumb babies are smart enough to actually get into one.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Rekinom posted:

Actually I just did it for the VA loan funding fee exemption, but the good thing is my kids get free tuition at any UC/CSU, which is a pretty loving good deal. Assuming these dumb babies are smart enough to actually get into one.

What’s the minimum rating for that? That’s purely a state-to-state thing right?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

10%.

It’s not a state to state thing.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The education thing is state to state, and usually you had to be a resident there when you joined up. The funding fee thing is just a 10% evaluation nationwide.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Sarah posted:

10%.

It’s not a state to state thing.

Zero percent for California. It's also all the way through PhD. Tuition is waived, no other fees are. I believe it doesn't cover law, dental and med school as it doesn't apply to "self supported" programs.

"​You must be the dependent of an eligible disabled veteran with a service connected disability rating of 0% or higher."

That's why I'm going through it 18+ years after I got out. Hooray for a scarred, sliced ring finger and tinnitus!

https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Pages/College-Fee-Waiver.aspx

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 8, 2019

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Sorry should have been more clear. It’s not a state to state thing for the VA loan fee exemption. If you’re 10%, fees are waived. We just bought a house and used a VA loan and looked into it.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

It's all good. I see where our wires were crossed. :hfive:

People poo poo on California all the time, but free college for your kid...man that's something.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Do any other states do stuff like that?

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

GoGoGadget posted:

Do any other states do stuff like that?

A few do,

https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/state-veterans-benefits-directory.html

I know Washington, Oregon, and South Dakota do. I'm currently living in Kansas and the only benefits are a $700 property tax credit and annual fishing and hunting license. It varies by state and by disability percentage.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

If you're 10% or more disabled you can get a free lifetime Access Pass for the National Parks. It gets your vehicle and whoever is in it into the parks for free and you get 50% stuff like campsites and tours.

All you have to do is either show up to a park with your disability paperwork and an ID to get ot or do the mail-in process that costs $10 and 10-12 weeks.

It took like 5 minutes to get it when I went to Yellowstone last weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

California has a lot of veterans benefits all nicely consolidated in one book.

https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Documents/Veteran_%20Resource_%20Book.pdf

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 10, 2019