Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duckbag posted:

Honestly, I thought it sounded like too much until I saw they'd only be 8 episodes each.

This show has had good episodes in every season, but it's never returned to the heights of the first three years and I don't think it can. The characters are overexposed and stuck in ruts, the running gags have run their course, and there's just been an insular, worn-out quality to it all that the last few setting shake-ups haven't been able to fix. I think the basic problem is that the show burned through whatever grounding it had years ago and now it's hard to rebuild the "reality" of the show. This used to be a show about one dickhead spy and his amoral boss/mom interacting with slightly-weird coworkers in an otherwise recognizable workplace and doing fun spy stuff. Now everyone is a complete dickhead, they barely have a workplace, and there's hardly time for the actual spy stuff because every "job" they take on gets immediately derailed because they can't stop yelling at each other or doing something wacky crazy for five goddamn minutes so that a plot can happen. They've (almost) all slept with each other, they've all gotten shot (often by each other), they've all done horrible things for horrible reasons, none of them are good at their jobs anymore, none of them have clear motivations (at least none that aren't selfish and short-sighted) , or consistent morality, or lines they won't cross. They're all just broken garbage people now with very little redeeming about them (which seemed like the whole point of the terrible elevator episode, actually), so what's left to actually do with them, beyond change the trappings and give them new guest stars to yell at? I thought this last season had promise because there were indications that the character dynamics might actually change, but mostly it was just more of the same.

I completely understand why Reed would decide to not just change the setting, but the characters themselves, because if I'm this bored with them, he must be miserable with writing them. Hopefully, he'll take the time to jettison seven years of continuity cruft, callbacks, and character exaggeration and get back to the basic elements that made the show good in the first place. A break from showing us the same things we already knew about these characters in favor of something new seems like exactly what this show needs right now.

IASIP is doing just as great as ever. These are lovely, lazy, points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Duckbag posted:

Honestly, I thought it sounded like too much until I saw they'd only be 8 episodes each.

This show has had good episodes in every season, but it's never returned to the heights of the first three years and I don't think it can. The characters are overexposed and stuck in ruts, the running gags have run their course, and there's just been an insular, worn-out quality to it all that the last few setting shake-ups haven't been able to fix. I think the basic problem is that the show burned through whatever grounding it had years ago and now it's hard to rebuild the "reality" of the show. This used to be a show about one dickhead spy and his amoral boss/mom interacting with slightly-weird coworkers in an otherwise recognizable workplace and doing fun spy stuff. Now everyone is a complete dickhead, they barely have a workplace, and there's hardly time for the actual spy stuff because every "job" they take on gets immediately derailed because they can't stop yelling at each other or doing something wacky crazy for five goddamn minutes so that a plot can happen.

Maybe I'm not remembering it right, but I sort of felt like at the very start of the series that there was three tiers at ISIS: Archer, Malory, Lana, and Cyril's clique and Krieger, Ray, Cheryl and Pam's clique and everyone else, and that they DIDN'T really interact with one another all that much on the same level. Part of the joke was that secretly the second-tier team was doing their own thing and no one outside of them noticed Cheryl was a pyromaniac, Krieger was doing mad scientist stuff, Pam had this really violent double-life no one knew about, Ray was actually super competent, etc.

I don't know how long something like that could be sustained though, or if it was only eventual that they'd all end up getting into a more singular unit.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The only character I thought has gotten worse over the past few seasons is Pam. Before Archer Vice she was my absolute favorite character on the show. But then she became a one-joke pony and never really recovered after kicking the cocaine addiction. On the flip side, Archer isn't the one-dimensional rear end in a top hat he was for a long time, and Lana has had some character depth added to her as well. Every character has been at each other's throats, that's one thing that's never changed. Credit to the last two seasons, they really toned down on the recurring jokes after reaching a low with them in Archer Vice.

My main problem with Archer is that Adam Reed doesn't make good story arcs, and the episodes that focus on them take away from the funny moments. That's why I thought the last three episodes of the last season were weaker than the very good stuff in the beginning.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

get that OUT of my face posted:

My main problem with Archer is that Adam Reed doesn't make good story arcs, and the episodes that focus on them take away from the funny moments. That's why I thought the last three episodes of the last season were weaker than the very good stuff in the beginning.

Counter point: Heart of Archness and Stage Two/Placebo Effect.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

swickles posted:

Counter point: Heart of Archness and Stage Two/Placebo Effect.
I think he meant season-long story arcs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm

http://www.avclub.com/article/archers-going-back-time-season-eight-243840

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

1947 should have plenty of spy stuff to work with. That was the year the CIA was created.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Archer is gonna be his own grandfather.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GreenNight posted:

Archer is gonna be his own grandfather.

Or his own father :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kesper North posted:

Or his own father :v:

Why not both!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Seeing as it's never been clear what year Archer actually takes place in, I fully expect this season to take full advantage of that ambiguity. Also, it buys Adam Reed time to come up with the most convoluted explanation possible for how Archer survived the season 7 finale.

I figured that Archer was gonna make the relegation to FXX this season. Turns out I was right.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 8, 2016

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

get that OUT of my face posted:

Seeing as it's never been clear what year Archer actually takes place in, I fully expect this season to take full advantage of that ambiguity. Also, it buys Adam Reed time to come up with the most convoluted explanation possible for how Archer survived the season 7 finale.

I figured that Archer was gonna make the relegation to FXX this season. Turns out I was right.

This will be the third time they're claiming the show is moving to FXX. I don't know why they don't just do it already.

Anyway I came here to post this article. For those who want to re-live some Frisky Dingo moments. https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/11/10-ways-adult-swims-frisky-dingo-predicted-the-201.html

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best part of the Frisky Dingo election subplot was how it all ended neither actually fulfilled the requirements for being President. Xander wasn't 35 and Killface wasn't a US citizen.

Dookberg
Oct 14, 2003

We sure could use Vice President Fred Dryer right about now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dookberg posted:

We sure could use Vice President Fred Dryer right about now.

TV's Hunter?

Dookberg
Oct 14, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

TV's Hunter?

He was HUNTER?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

TV's Hunter?

Works for me!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Harumph!

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
It's like finding out Jesus knew karate! Imagine that, Stan, karate Jesus.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

• Cold Beer
  • Warm pussy
  • Place to poo poo with a door on it (don't want the dog looking at you)

Ford 2020

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Wow. That's some big pants.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Sash! posted:

• Cold Beer
  • Warm pussy
  • Place to poo poo with a door on it (don't want the dog looking at you)

Ford 2020

His rear end is everywhere!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I just had the flash of insight for a personal love to see it happen episode: Archer goes to the country of Georgia and takes out a psycho American ex-pat running his own militia out of the mountains in a true Heart of Darkness style story (Unlike the Heart of Archness parody which I loved too)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JollyPubJerk posted:

IASIP is doing just as great as ever. These are lovely, lazy, points.

IASIP also doesn't have any of the problems he attributed to Archer. Everyone being flanderized, for example, is no biggie with IASIP because they were all larger-than-life to begin with; with the Archer side cast, they were a bit more grounded (Krieger aside) to begin with, and so flanderizing them is a bit jarring.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

IASIP also doesn't have any of the problems he attributed to Archer. Everyone being flanderized, for example, is no biggie with IASIP because they were all larger-than-life to begin with; with the Archer side cast, they were a bit more grounded (Krieger aside) to begin with, and so flanderizing them is a bit jarring.

Seamus disagrees

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

They're different genres. Always Sunny can get away with the cast spinning their wheels and doing the same poo poo over and over because it's a conventional sitcom. It's way darker than most of its forebears, but it's basically the successor to a lot of other long running comedies like Seinfeld and Cheers so it has bits of character development here and there, but mostly goes for a situation-of-the-week type feel.

Archer has that sitcom stuff going on, but it's also a spy genre parody that's set up as an ongoing story with mysteries, character arcs, plot development, worldbuilding and all that jazz baked into its DNA. Unfortunately, it often seems like these two sides of the show are working at cross purposes.The tension between the daring/stupid spy exploits and the terrible personal lives of these broken people is the core of the show, of course, but pushing too far in either direction is a problem and I think we can see that happen in many of the weaker episodes. The first few seasons had this gradual drift from being a largely plot driven genre parody with a new mission every week to being almost entirely character driven and focused on their personal foibles and wacky hijinks (this happened on Sealab and Frisky Dingo too, so I think it might just be an Adam Reed thing).

Archer Vice started making things more plot-y again and had some convoluted CIA cocaine plot at its center, but it never seemed to matter that much what the details were and it was all weirdly hard to follow because so much of it seemed to consist of the characters ignoring their surroundings and their supposed mission in favor of yelling at each other and rehashing old catchphrases. Which I get is part of the joke, but I think it's something that's been consistently holding the show back.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Let's give Season 7 credit, there wasn't nearly as much catchphrase recycling as there was in Archer Vice. If they made it more of a stand-alone season but set in LA, I think it would have been better. The beginning of the season had some of the funniest episodes in a while.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

No arguments here. Season 7 was definitely a return to form. I wasn't that invested in the Hollywood intrigue -- and that's probably on me for never watching much Noire -- but the season still had a really solid throughline and some standout episodes (especially the ridiculous hostage scenario and the crazy finale). I might have to rewatch it before season 8 comes out because there was a lot going on last season and I think I binged through it too quickly.

All grousing aside, I love this show and when it's on fire there's nothing like it, so if they keep up the recent quality, I'll be more than happy to eat my words.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Pacific Heat is now available on netflix.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Vishass posted:

Pacific Heat is now available on netflix.

I had absolutely no idea what this was so I punched in to Google....

First Result: ‘Pacific Heat’ Review: Netflix’s ‘Archer’ Rip-Off Should Be Avoided at All Costs

Whelp.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
AV Club's review is even more scathing: Pacific Heat asks the question "What if Archer wasn't funny?"

http://www.avclub.com/review/netflixs-new-show-pacific-heat-asks-what-if-archer-246485

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix should have just picked up Moonbeam City.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Those screencaps... "What if Archer was drawn in MSPaint?"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Moonbeam City got amusing towards the end of its run, which is more than I can say for this.

It also looked fantastic.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

bull3964 posted:

I watched an episode of this and don't remember having even a sensible chuckle. Was it actually good and I probably just caught a bad episode? It was about making a movie iirc. I also remember something about a night club for kids?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Moonbeam City varied fairly heavily between episodes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mokinokaro posted:

Moonbeam City varied fairly heavily between episodes.

Yeah, but on a whole I loved the aesthetic and all of the voice actors having a ball in their roles. It was fun enough for me to keep watching.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but on a whole I loved the aesthetic and all of the voice actors having a ball in their roles. It was fun enough for me to keep watching.

Yeah it was a fun show. It's my favorite cancelled show from last year.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I liked Moonbeam City, even though I knew it was gonna be canceled when Comedy Central booted new episodes to 1am. It didn't really end up being an Archer ripoff, either, although you can be forgiven for thinking that after watching the first couple of episodes. The last episode was just an excuse for Tommy Blancha to do his Pickles voice again.

I didn't bother watching the clip of Pacific Heat, but the screenshots alone look like a two-bit ripoff of Archer.

AV Club review posted:

...every character looks like they were drawn by someone whose only reference to human anatomy was one of those old How To Draw Manga Characters books.
Cold as ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Pacific Heat's ads in Australia were a horrific shitshow and there's no surprise at all at finding out it is garbage.

• Locked thread