Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Waterfall of Salt posted:

After you break out of jail, the cops still have your deck and your motorcycle so obviously you have to stealth your way to get it, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Oooh, I love those videos! Don't forget this one!

Kaibaman Screws the Rules vs. Jaden Yuki

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I'd just like to say that when I saw this guy, I straight up burst out laughing. He looks so friggin' doofy. Especially the teeth.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

What the hell is it with the late-game enemies wearing glasses that look like Geordi's visor on Star Trek TNG?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GeneX posted:

now play reshef of destruction

no cheating

That's what I'VE been doing off and on...I'm only at the Ancient Egyptian exibit. Because I ground on Duke to get my loving Hourglasses of loving Life. Three of them. He dropped them quickly, for all the worth that is.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Kemix posted:

That's what I'VE been doing off and on...I'm only at the Ancient Egyptian exibit. Because I ground on Duke to get my loving Hourglasses of loving Life. Three of them. He dropped them quickly, for all the worth that is.

Ah, see, now there's where you're doing it wrong; you're actually bothering to GRIND in this game. But actually, the only choice you have is to brute force every fight till you finally get lucky :( ...

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
never

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The gently caress, that's not even Slifer's effect.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Byzantine posted:

The gently caress, that's not even Slifer's effect.

Yes it is - 3 stat levels per card in the hand, same as in The Sacred Cards. Just like how all the god cards have a base power of 4000. Admittedly, Slifer would be less frustrating to use if they kept the boost as something you had to deliberately activate on flipping it faceup during your turn, instead of inventing Continuous effects, but...

Seriously though, it makes a lot more sense to me than the Anime effects for Slifer, and is a lot easier to keep track of.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Isn't Slifer's actual ability just "1000 Attack/Defense for each card in your hand"? It's Ra that has the large amount of bullshit that had to kept split into three separate cards.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Funky Valentine posted:

Isn't Slifer's actual ability just "1000 Attack/Defense for each card in your hand"? It's Ra that has the large amount of bullshit that had to kept split into three separate cards.
Yup.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

One pretty funny part of Ra's book of effects is that it makes perfect sense. Think about it - Pegasus himself designed the God Cards, then hid them after he realized the power he had tapped into. But Pegasus is killed by Bakura after his duel with Yugi, he's not around for the rules changes Battle City introduced.

The Gods are running on Duelist Kingdom rules.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Byzantine posted:

One pretty funny part of Ra's book of effects is that it makes perfect sense. Think about it - Pegasus himself designed the God Cards, then hid them after he realized the power he had tapped into. But Pegasus is killed by Bakura after his duel with Yugi, he's not around for the rules changes Battle City introduced.

The Gods are running on Duelist Kingdom rules.

Anime left him alive. He's just got a missing eye. gently caress, KAIBA of all people looked disgusted after seeing Pegasus flip his hair to the side and showed him the open hole in his head in the first movie. Then he's crushed under a building in Bonds Beyond Time.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
Seto pulling out Ultimate Dragon whenever he want was something I could never beat

I just didn't have the magic or traps to do so

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

venom3053000 posted:

Seto pulling out Ultimate Dragon whenever he want was something I could never beat

I just didn't have the magic or traps to do so

Hey, don't blame yourself; no one else can really beat it either. Even speed runners basically NEED to hope that he just doesn't pull it out; otherwise the "Final Six" run is basically over right then and there. Seto 3rd is a coin flip, no matter how lucky the runner got with drops beforehand.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Kemix posted:

Anime left him alive.

gently caress the anime. It's worse than this game.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I'm happy that Firegrass was useful used at least once and didn't turn into a traitor.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Hey, don't blame yourself; no one else can really beat it either. Even speed runners basically NEED to hope that he just doesn't pull it out; otherwise the "Final Six" run is basically over right then and there. Seto 3rd is a coin flip, no matter how lucky the runner got with drops beforehand.

He always brought out one after the other on his first two turns and that was it for me

The one time I raigeki them he brought out a third and I was done

Never played again

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kemix posted:

Anime left him alive. He's just got a missing eye. gently caress, KAIBA of all people looked disgusted after seeing Pegasus flip his hair to the side and showed him the open hole in his head in the first movie.

Is there a picture of this somewhere? I've always wondered what anime Pegasus did with his socket after losing the eye to Bakura.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
In Custom Robo for the Gamecube, there's a moment where you get a pointless non-choice where you give your plot MacGuffin watch to a friend of yours, and she has a line every time you try to give it to her. If you try 20 times, she takes it. This changes the plot in a minor way later, because later when you're near the end of the game and you suddenly need it the main character realizes "oh poo poo" and you have to awkwardly walk back to the friend's house, everyone in the game going "are you loving kidding me :geno:" on the way. There is a unique piece of music that only plays during this optional sequence.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kurui Reiten posted:

Is there a picture of this somewhere? I've always wondered what anime Pegasus did with his socket after losing the eye to Bakura.

Nope, IIRC, the shot is just of Kaiba's reaction.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Eyepatches are too unfabulous for Pegasus.

alcharagia posted:

In Custom Robo for the Gamecube, there's a moment where you get a pointless non-choice where you give your plot MacGuffin watch to a friend of yours, and she has a line every time you try to give it to her. If you try 20 times, she takes it. This changes the plot in a minor way later, because later when you're near the end of the game and you suddenly need it the main character realizes "oh poo poo" and you have to awkwardly walk back to the friend's house, everyone in the game going "are you loving kidding me :geno:" on the way. There is a unique piece of music that only plays during this optional sequence.

Custom Robo has a few moments like that. Really underrated game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Custom Robo has a few moments like that. Really underrated game.

I think there's another part where everyone's like "we need you to save the world!" and you can just keep saying no and eventually they'll give up and go off on their own and die.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Byzantine posted:

gently caress the anime. It's worse than this game.

Okay, let's not go into full on hyperbole here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

alcharagia posted:

In Super Paper Mario, you can get a game over before even gaining control of Mario by saying "Nah, I don't wanna save the world."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Funky Valentine posted:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Funky Valentine posted:

Big 'Sus.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

That's not Pegasus, that's Sol Chevolsky.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Waffleman_ posted:

In Super Paper Mario, you can get a game over before even gaining control of Mario by saying "Nah, I don't wanna save the world."

You can also get a game over the first time you go to the space area by refusing to put on the space helmet your magic butterfly friend provides for you.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

giver336 posted:

Update #8: It Wouldn't Be a Finale Without a Rapid-Fire String of "gently caress You"'s.

This is what's called a Pocketstation. In Japan, this was a popular accessory for your Playstation 1. Many games would lock away certain features or resources in games and have it be accessible via a code input from this. You plugged it in, got a code, and got power. Pay-to-win, people.

And that's why these card costs are all 999,999. They didn't want you buying them legitimately. Gotta use that peripheral.

"No it's a fair business strategy where you get to pay extra money if you enjoy the game and " :fuckoff: NO.

Straight up unobtainable without Pocketstation. Not even 999,999. This is terrible on its own merits, and I don't have to explain why, but the Pocketstation was never released outside Japan. So, the difficulty curve, while still lovely in the original version, at least had a way to get around the early sections and make grinding go a little faster. But the English localizers did not bother to make adjustments to compensate!

The only reason I ever heard of the Pocketstation was because of Final Fantasy 8, where they not only explicitly say in the manual that it may not be available outside of Japan, but also includes the minigame details just in case it had ever got released outside of it. (It didn't.) It also gives a few details as to the purpose of the entire thing, which is basically an item GF that you can summon in-game that you power up by playing this portable device that got improved by the Pokémon Company years later when they remade HeartGold/SoulSilver. It's largely inconsequencial and doesn't matter one bit in the long run in Final Fantasy 8 because that had balance issues that didn't even require the Pocketstation did not require it at any point to complete the game.

Guess what never mentioned that in the manual? Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories. There was absolutely no way any insane person picking this game up would have ever known about that without even trying it. So on top of not only putting gated content behind a peripheral that you could not get outside of Japan, they did not even have the balls to tell you that there was extra content gated behind a loving optional piece of poo poo that was never going to be released outside of Japan. How the gently caress nobody in ANY localisation team thought to address this imbalance was grossly negligent of them, and gently caress anyone who worked on that team.

giver336 posted:

You guys are assholes! ASSHOLES! Couldn't be assed to edit the shop prices, huh? Nope! It's fine as-is. Perfectly reasonable!

Appropriate gif for my response:

...in fact, appropriate gif for this game in general and most of those behind it.

giver336 posted:

Meet our final boss: Macho Man Randy Savage.

Legit the best part of this game, and I never get to see it legitimately because gently caress THIS GAME.

giver336 posted:

Not even a "Thank you for playing." Amazing.

Good night, everyone!

#FucKonami

(I still intend to smash my copy up at some point, now that the LP is finished.)

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
You should record that, so that I can add it to the "Goon Hall of Fame" bonus post in a little while.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ancient Egyptian Ridiculous Hat Simulator was a pretty great success, I thought.

yodar
Apr 5, 2016

Herr Tog posted:

oh my god how is this the worst game the more I learn about it?

Lunar Dragon Song is worse IMO but this game is very bad as well

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

yodar posted:

Lunar Dragon Song is worse IMO but this game is very bad as well

Dragon Song doesn't have you grinding for 40+ hours for that ONE thing that would make your character not suck rear end. Also doesn't have bullshit, cheating AI that actively reads your moves. But yes, Dragon Song is bad. I regret ever playing it as a child. I think I even remember liking it at some point. Then my DS got stolen out of my coat pocket at school along with my copy of Megaman Battle Network 3

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kemix posted:

Dragon Song doesn't have you grinding for 40+ hours for that ONE thing that would make your character not suck rear end. Also doesn't have bullshit, cheating AI that actively reads your moves. But yes, Dragon Song is bad. I regret ever playing it as a child. I think I even remember liking it at some point. Then my DS got stolen out of my coat pocket at school along with my copy of Megaman Battle Network 3

Isn't Dragon Song the game that made you choose between grinding for money and grinding for XP?

yodar
Apr 5, 2016

Kemix posted:

Your copy of MBN3 got stolen? Dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. And I see your point so I'll concede that this game is worse than Dragon Song

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I haven't played either and I never will but it is obvious from reading their lp's that both Dragon Song and Forbidden Memories are absolutely tortuous slogs. They both seem to be deliberately tedious in really obvious ways and I'm not exactly sure what the devs were thinking.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cathode Raymond posted:

I haven't played either and I never will but it is obvious from reading their lp's that both Dragon Song and Forbidden Memories are absolutely tortuous slogs. They both seem to be deliberately tedious in really obvious ways and I'm not exactly sure what the devs were thinking.

For Forbidden Memories, it's pretty obvious: the game has very little actual content, so it pads itself out to a ridiculous degree by forcing you to grind for hours if you want to get anywhere. It's a terrible design choice, made by people who clearly did not care about making a quality product, but it's easy enough to see why they did it. It's also very easy to point out it's poo poo and makes the game far worse.

I don't remember enough about Dragon Song to say there, I should reread that LP. And never play the game, ever. It's enough I played this one.

yodar
Apr 5, 2016
Anyone know what Giver's going to LP next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

yodar posted:

Anyone know what Giver's going to LP next?

Co-commentary in the Digimon World 3 thread currently.

• Locked thread