Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Can we talk about food TV please.

It's kind of fun watching one of the few Indian cooking channels with usually good production channels reduced (via COVID) to approximating a lot of the other Indian channels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qi3Gp_OrzA

Nice easy recipe too, by the way.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpY7B00Pqf8

Sohla's grilled cheese looks goooooood

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Priyah is really the weakest part of all these videos. I'm sure I'm being less than understanding but the weir relationship she has with her parents is off-putting. Before the quarantine almost all of her videos featured her calling her parents for advice, now her dad's in every video. Guess what guys her dad makes yogurt!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Grem posted:

Priyah is really the weakest part of all these videos. I'm sure I'm being less than understanding but the weir relationship she has with her parents is off-putting. Before the quarantine almost all of her videos featured her calling her parents for advice, now her dad's in every video. Guess what guys her dad makes yogurt!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Grem posted:

I found her super annoying even before this, and now with her parents being on camera every time she appears in something its even more annoying.

e; Oh, and Delaney is The Worst.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 18, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I respect Delaney for doing dry january. I got pissed when Molly rolled her eyes when she found out he wasn't drinking. Hey he's trying to cut back on alcohol gently caress off forever right?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

I respect Delaney for doing dry january. I got pissed when Molly rolled her eyes when she found out he wasn't drinking. Hey he's trying to cut back on alcohol gently caress off forever right?

Molly was day using even before Brad so it is understandable. I think she has been on substances in every video of her I've seen.

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 19, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Very much agree. Especially since "the booze guy" is pretty much Alex's niche in BA. Good for him and gently caress Molly and her dumbass mortadella obsession. It's just gussied-up bologna anyway.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Very much agree. Especially since "the booze guy" is pretty much Alex's niche in BA. Good for him and gently caress Molly and her dumbass mortadella obsession. It's just gussied-up bologna anyway.

I don’t know the dude from Adam, but I bet the morning after a night out with Delany is rouuugh. He probably knows all the bartenders so you get cheap drinks, but he’d show up to hangover breakfast looking great because all his drinks were <4% natural wine or amaro based cocktails.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

look I'm not gonna say that cutting horizontal is objectively the right way to go but I am gonna say that the two best sandos in that video were both cut horizontally. and I'm not talking about Molly's vaguely Cuban-esque sandwich.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Grem posted:

Liking your parents is not a weird relationship.

Nephzinho posted:

I found her super annoying even before this, and now with her parents being on camera every time she appears in something its even more annoying.

e; Oh, and Delaney is The Worst.
She's great, her parents are great, and Delaney is great! There's not a person in any of these videos I dislike except Dan or whatever the name of the guy is who used to throw things at Claire.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah, she's quarantined with them so why not acknowledge that she's cooking for a group of people who are important to her. Plus her book is explicitly about cooking for and with family, her parents are super present throughout the whole project, etc.. Maybe it's just me but I'm never 100% on something I cook until I have somebody else taste it and like it so I think the bits where she has one of her parents have a bite of whatever she made is endearing and relatable. I also love cooking for me parents when I get the chance and not being able to drive out and do that right now is getting to me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah I don't really get the Priya hate. She is really good at breaking down Indian cuisine for a home chef that might not be familiar with it, and why hate on her dad's yogurt? That's a foundational ingredient in Indian cooking and if you have access to fresh, homemade yogurt that's by far the best option.

There are certain videos where she's out of her wheelhouse but I can't think of anything she's done that's out-and-out bad. Her stuff isn't terribly experimental or anything (all due respect to 'take an Indian dessert and put it in a pie shell') but I don't see why it has to be.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
There's no real Priya hate. There's one goon who finds her annoying, and then one who apparently can't fathom a good relationship between a grown person and her parents.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Priya isn’t my favorite, but that’s because her family reminds me of the Dallas suburbanites I interacted with while working some customer facing jobs there.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Didn't care for Priya initially, but quarantine Priya is much better. I feel like when she's got the parents right there for quick advice and the rest, she's good to go. Honestly, I think her cooking is fine. It's not "authentic" but who the gently caress cares, as long as it tastes good? I've got a buddy who loves to eat Indian when they're out but never really cooked it at home (even though they have like 90% of the spices, because her husband brews beer). Once they got that Indian~ish book, they felt a lot less intimidated by it all, and kind of went for it. If it's getting people to try to cook things they hadn't given a shot before? More power to her. Honestly, her relationship with her parents isn't even that extra. My boss's parents live in India. They literally call him at least once a day. The dad first, then the mom when she's done doing whatever it is she do. He flies back at least twice a year to visit with them. I get the feeling that Priya is sort of that grown up adult child who didn't necessarily follow things exactly the traditional way, but her parents don't really care, because at least she's not working for minimum wage at the restaurant anymore (which she's mentioned she started off doing). It's sort of like how most of my sibs are with my parents. They don't talk every day, but if there's a cooking thing, they /will/ call the parentals, without fail. Ditto for my sister-in-law. And this is coming from a family of pretty competent cooks. I think I'm the only one who stopped asking for cooking advice, because I can generally figure it out myself.

Didn't care for Molly very much either. The speech was affected, and annoying. OK. We get it. You like that loving ham. Shut up already. And yes, your boss can be a handful, but for gently caress's sake. Calm your tits. In quarantine, she chilled out, and gives pretty concise clear instructions. That episode with her and Rappo was watchable, because he wasn't tryhard in the video. I can get down with that.

Loved Delaney since day 1. He's a chill guy, knows all the good spots to get food, and always seems genuinely interested in what the other person is saying when he's paired up with someone else. It's hard to fake that level of earnestness.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I think I saw a Youtube comment that said "Delaney's superpower is he always seems like he's in love with whoever's talking to him." He's just charming as hell.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I've made Delaney's super simple chicken salad sandwich recipe like 10 times and it's very good. His whole "Rent Week" column was pretty great

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

She's great, her parents are great, and Delaney is great! There's not a person in any of these videos I dislike except Dan or whatever the name of the guy is who used to throw things at Claire.

I went to school with a lot of Delaneys and find it very tiresome. Very well could just be me.

How Wonderful! posted:

Maybe it's just me but I'm never 100% on something I cook until I have somebody else taste it and like it

Completely agree. I don't really "lock" a recipe in my notebook until I've made it for company and people are going in for seconds.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

Very well could just be me.

probably

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh, poor Claire. Trying to do Gourmet Makes from home

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh, poor Claire. Trying to do Gourmet Makes from home

Didn't she say she wasn't going to do any Gourmet Makes while working from home, since she doesn't have half the equipment she'd normally use for them?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I haven't watched it yet but from the thumbs it looks like she started it in the test kitchen and there's a second half at home?

Also what are Choco Tacos

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

flashy_mcflash posted:

Also what are Choco Tacos

:stare:

They're a fake taco, with a waffle cone taco, filled with vanilla ice cream, covered in chocolate and chopped peanuts. They're really good

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

:stare:

They're a fake taco, with a waffle cone taco, filled with vanilla ice cream, covered in chocolate and chopped peanuts. They're really good

That has to be an American thing. We had these Drumstick ice cream cones here in Canada. Not in a taco form factor but it sounds similar.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Yep its a drumstick/cornetto in a hard taco shape.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm American and never seen choco tacos. But I want one. I guess those drumsticks will have to do.

That reminds me of It's-It ice cream sandwiches. Claire should make that next.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

flashy_mcflash posted:

That has to be an American thing. We had these Drumstick ice cream cones here in Canada. Not in a taco form factor but it sounds similar.

Taco Bell either used to or still does sell them. Its been about 8 years since I've gone there though. I'd rather have a drumstick though, less messy to eat and you get that solid nugget of chocolate at the bottom of the cone.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Definitely the type of thing you get from the ice cream truck rather than the grocery store.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Choco Tacos seem like a great idea, but as Claire pointed out in the video, in practice they're soggy and terrible.

Both parts of that Gourmet Makes really highlighted my favorite part of the series, Claire's problem solving skills. Watching her MacGyver together taco shell drying rigs, or "mixing robots" hits the same spot for me that I got from watching MythBusters.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Sex Hobbit posted:

Definitely the type of thing you get from the ice cream truck rather than the grocery store.

If you're in the US and you live near a 7/11, you live near chaco tacos.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why didn't they go all the way and just make choco burritos?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

Why didn't they go all the way and just make choco burritos?

Choco chimichanga; with a 'tortilla' made of churro paste. Or maybe that is just fried ice cream.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Choco Tacos seem like a great idea, but as Claire pointed out in the video, in practice they're soggy and terrible.

Both parts of that Gourmet Makes really highlighted my favorite part of the series, Claire's problem solving skills. Watching her MacGyver together taco shell drying rigs, or "mixing robots" hits the same spot for me that I got from watching MythBusters.

uh i think she just doesn't know how to eat a choco taco just like pizza rolls.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

gourmet makes hard seltzer:

"well it's time for the taste test. This sitting out a few hours. It's not very carbonated. This should be a piece of cake."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alex Guarnaschelli has been announced as the next co-host on Worst Cooks. What I didn’t realise was that there’s a season currently running with dollar store Flay, Tyler Florence. The Alton Brown season only just finished!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

uh i think she just doesn't know how to eat a choco taco just like pizza rolls.

Every now and then I see them in the store and think, "Ice cream taco? That's amazing, yes please" and buy a box, only to be very underwhelmed by them. But that's also how I feel about most frozen food, so it could just be me.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Choco Tacos taste best when you're 12 and you're at a public pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have a very distinct memory of what choco taco's tasted like when I was younger and they don't at all live up to it now. There's lots of poo poo like that though.