Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Things have gotten quiet on our end, but the appearance of Bradleys and possible US infantry east of our positions has me concerned. I don't expect we'll come under attack (the departure of the enemy tanks for points west is especially nice for our company), I want to take this opportunity to reorganize regardless.

Fuligin and NastyToes are to rearrange their commands on the line shown. Topography shows a slight ridge through the woods, and I want to make sure we're all on the reverse slope so any advancing Ukrainian vehicles won't be able to lay down effective suppressing fire. Pay special attention to NastyToes' post with our company's status (thank you very much for that and everything else you've been doing, NastyToes) when you place your squads and BTRs, and get more AT ammo from your vehicles if you are able.

Yooper, with the most damaged platoon, will move to the rear to act as reserve in the event of an attack.

I think all our guys should be able to move to these positions without taking any fire. Yooper/NastyToes, I'd very much appreciate one of you taking a peek in game so you can give me your opinion on that.

NastyToes, I'm leaving 4th Platoon and our battalion assets to you. Assume no attack is coming over the top of Mount Silver- 4th Platoon should be placed to be most effective against an attack from the southeast. The battalion ATGM north of the road is included.

5th Platoon should stay put for now. If NATO doesn't attack our position, I don't expect you to do much until our reinforcements are thrown in.

dublish fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hubis posted:

I was hoping for a bit more discussion here. I feel like first company (and my platoon in particular) are at a bit of a de ision point -- do I retreat from contact and continue north, pivot towards where the Americans may have moved to, something else? Should we re-adjust defenses along jagged pass? I'd like to see the remaining infantry in the pass shift west, but that's not my call to make. Are we still committing a full company from the reinforcements to support first company's position?

Double posting, but these are good questions to be asking. If I'm reading curly's posts right, it looks like 1st Coy is getting some amount of infantry reinforcements to both help you hold where you are and push south to lock down the secondary exit, while the main effort is directed at the town.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your post suggesting a major NATO movement in the west, and the departure of vehicles from 2nd Coy's front is in my opinion the best indication of what they're doing. I'm worried about 1st Coy- you guys are spread out, and individual squads largely aren't in a position to support each other. I'd guess you've got the better part of two companies, one Ukrainian and one American, attacking you. I think you're going to suffer a lot, especially if you're in motion when you run into Americans.

What worries me most is how spread out and isolated all your squads are, and how close you have to get to the enemy to even get a sound contact in those woods. If NATO pushes enough infantry through your lines, 1st Coy's tanks could be in big trouble, and especially if they're also grouping their armor up to make a push.

So with that in mind, I've got a couple of questions/comments/concerns:

We're getting two companies of reinforcements plus an air defense platoon and assorted support assets. Do we expect to need armor pushing into town if we think the enemy armor is moving west? If we assume the better part of two enemy companies are attacking 1st Coy in Jagged Pass, how much of our reinforcements do we need to safely hold that area? Who wants to command the reinforcements, and what do they think of the situation?

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

Here's my take on the situation. The first image is first contact, the second is our current turn. I figure they got sound contacts on Hubis's southern movement and reacted to it while their armor is moving west to confront Kev and secure their secondary objective. If they are trying to push north, we really need to reinforce the area Hubis vacated since we only have a single Mg team there.

The two circled AGLs could be moved into the pass to help out. They would make short work of infantry that move into the clearings. DSM has a squad mounted up that could move over there and we also have Jaguars and the engineers ready to move out.

dublish posted:

We're getting two companies of reinforcements plus an air defense platoon and assorted support assets. Do we expect to need armor pushing into town if we think the enemy armor is moving west? If we assume the better part of two enemy companies are attacking 1st Coy in Jagged Pass, how much of our reinforcements do we need to safely hold that area? Who wants to command the reinforcements, and what do they think of the situation?

I think a company of infantry with BMP-2s can prevent them from taking Victory Road. I wouldn't mind taking command of some armor.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

dublish posted:

Who wants to command the reinforcements, and what do they think of the situation?

I'm happy to take command of any/all appropriate forces, but I feel like the "spirit of the game" for this LP is to break things up at appropriate command levels.

I'd be happy to take a "field promotion" to command whatever is reinforcing 1st Coy and let Frey take over my men (if he saw fit). Alternatively, we could do what was suggested earlier and mirror the existing command structure -- Platoon commanders get another Platoon, Company commanders get another Company. Assigning them to the same geographic region, we can just consider their commands "subbordinated" to HQs in the field if we wanted.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

NastyToes posted:

I think a company of infantry with BMP-2s can prevent them from taking Victory Road. I wouldn't mind taking command of some armor.

As far as I'm concerned, you've earned whatever command you want with the work you're putting into this game. Yooper, Fuligin and me should be able to manage 2nd Company just fine.

Moving the rear AGLs sounds good. DSM and Jaguars probably should have been moving west a long time ago. Is Phi still around?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Please MOVE the blue infantry into position. Have the two BTR's REVERSE into position. Finally have the HQ and 3/A move QUICK to the treeline.

I think we can disengage with minimal additional contact unless they really push hard this turn.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

The dangerous part of those woods is that the crossing in the "DANGER ZONE" area is very narrow and the sightlines are hard to get (I've tried to jockey the pieces i have to get as much overlapping fire as possible, but I may need to re-adjust). I feel like you need some kind of amount of raw bodies just to lock down anyone poking their heads out long enough for the support weapons to help out. This is why I was thinking about a portion of the engineers/3rd Coy squads back behind 1st Coy HQ's position along the highway being redirected there.

So my decision point is whether I continue to advance on Frey and follow through there, or turn this accident into an advantage and attempt to pursue/ambush the Americans with a concentrated platoon (ideally trapping them with their backs against our heavy weapons line). if I don't aid Frey then it might put our western flank into jeopardy; if I do, then we risk letting them attack us in the pass and possibly throw away whatever positional advantage I have buy being able to cut off their little salient.

If 1/1 mobilized right now and moved towards me into ther woods while I moved towards them ENE, we could completely surround whatever's there. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what's there yet -- the units I passed might be flank elements, trailing stragglers, or advanced scouts.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

I would suggest continuing south and redirecting some of 3rd company/engineers to fill the gap. Fray is up against an entire company, and the whole point is to draw their attention west. Even if the American forces take the danger zone, they are still far from Victory Road and have no support.

NastyToes fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 29, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I should have posted today! Oops.

I'm going to move 1/1 South this turn to try to make contact. All this moving to contact in the woods is basically a worst case scenario but I don't really see an option given how we've committed our forces. 1st Company is way too thin to cover this whole area when you consider the far west, but a fully static defense is not very useful, so we need to move to contact. The woods will help reduce the advantage of superior numbers that the enemy seems to have, though we won't have the support of all our larger weapons and abundant artillery.

BTW, I believe there is still an artillery mission in the south coming in at the edge of the field down where all the BTR husks are. I'll check to see if it can be re positioned and whether or not that is something that needs to happen. It may still do well where it is now.

What I think the enemy are doing is positioning their infantry in the woods to protect the flank of vehicles that they are moving into the west and transiting to secure the exit from the sector. Possibly they saw our vehicles in the field and view this as good terrain to push into to attempt to force an exit, or maybe that's just where the door is. I think a penetrating thrust :dong: into the woods is probably a component of attempting to control the area around the exits to the west, but that it is probably being done with the aim of creating a corridor to the south and west. I expect that thrust to be toward the west of our center, but probably given the long walk units are taking short paths.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

2nd Company / 3rd Platoon / 4th Platoon

Move one AGL up near the BTRs, move an AGL and an AT-7 onto the road looking down it and have the AT-14 take its place on the treeline. Deploy weapons.

Cancel all target orders. Move the BTRs back behind our tanks and have the immobilized BTR use a target arc to aim toward the enemy.

If the air defense BTR reaches the woods, have one team move up to the treeline and the other gets to jump into the ditch and run down it.

When the AGL BTR finishes its move have the two AGLs mount up, then drive down the road and into Jagged Pass.

This lucky guy rallied, so he gets to go scouting.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
If my tanks need to engage the American/Ukraine tanks then I need to be close and surprise them. My optics are damaged thanks to those stupid helicopter strikes so I need to get the first shots or I am likely going to be destroyed. I am considering whether or not to move out now, though I don't know where I would go if I did, as the helicopters seems to be down to just their cannons.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
My current plan to divide the reinforcements is to send one fresh company of Infantry in tracked vehicles south-west to support 1st Coy, or backstop our lines where necessary if the enemy affects a breakthrough. The fact that we're running into potentially large forces at ranges measured in feet with no prior contact isn't surprising to me, this was always a risk when we started shifting 1st coy from a defensive posture to a more offensive one.

The rest of the reinforcements will head straight south along Route 23, and muster in the town. Once the force is in an appropriate firing line for an advance across potentially hostile open ground, it will launch an attack supported by the remaining heavy artillery and newly arrived helicopter assets with the dual goals of securing the southern village and engage the enemy forces that have been drawn into combat against our western forces. Mobile elements of 2nd Coy and 3rd Coy in the area of the crossroads will also move up to contribute to this attack, as available at the time.

In particular, we will send spare BTR's forward first, to draw enemy ATGM teams out of hiding which will then be destroyed by advancing armor and heavy IFV assets.

Hopefully, their defense along the crossroads will be just as thin as our own, and we can crash it with overwhelming force with minimal time wasted or loss of fighting ability.

Overall orders are to stabilize your lines where possible. If their primary focus has become a northern push into Jagged Pass, defending the clearings/open paths remains the best place to try and stop that, but I'll leave the details to you.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

koolkevz666 posted:

If my tanks need to engage the American/Ukraine tanks then I need to be close and surprise them. My optics are damaged thanks to those stupid helicopter strikes so I need to get the first shots or I am likely going to be destroyed. I am considering whether or not to move out now, though I don't know where I would go if I did, as the helicopters seems to be down to just their cannons.

It's likely your tanks have been spotted by the infantry in the woods, and if they have their tanks approach from a wide angle they can engage you at ranges over 1km.

Here are some positions that allow you to maintain control of the road, limit the engagement range to 500m or less and stay far enough away from any areas infantry can ambush you from.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
1st Company

1 platoon armour

Move down the blue lines and face towards the east at their destination.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

1st Company / 2nd Platoon + Attached Elements

Dismounted Infantry + MG Teams

Contact has been made; proceed into area assuming hostile presence. Platoon will proceed with caution and regroup, then advance in a west-echelon formation to link up with 3rd Platoon.

Western flank, HUNT forward across the gully and halt at the crest of the ridge. Hold position and maintain watch while the platoon advances to the East.
Center: HUNT forward and hold on watch at the gully until the platoon regroups.
Rear elements: Break contact and move QUICK to the ridge line, then advance to rejoin the main line. HUNT south and set up a watch position along the gully.
Eastern Flank: HUNT towards the platoon to close ranks, then proceed along the ridge cautiously.
HQ: We will MOVE up behind the center elements towards the gully.

STANDING ORDERS: IF HOSTILE FORCES ARE DETECTED, **HALT** AND **FACE** TOWARDS SUSPECTED POSITION. DO NOT MOVE TO ENGAGE UNLESS IN DIRECT VISUAL CONTACT.

Attached Machine-gun teams, MOVE to the treeline as indicated and DEPLOY in firing positions.

Attached Support Elements

Based on detected enemy movements, pass defenses are being re-deployed.

Western AGL team: MOVE to MOUNT the HQ APC, then proceed FAST through the pass. DISMOUNT and move QUICK to the indicated position then DEPLOY facing SSW down the pass. APC, REVERSE into the woods opposite the APC team facing SE down the other leg of the pass.

Central MG team: Proceed to the planned position and DEPLOY facing down the gully. Reinforcements should be enroute to secure your position -- maintain watch until that time.

Eastern AGL team, MOVE past the ATGM squad and DEPLOY at the edge of the woods as indicated facing S.

PROVISIONAL: 1st Platoon APC, please MOVE along the treeline about 100m ESE to spread out the firing line.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 29, 2017

Hubis
May 18, 2003

OK, reinforcement command chat:

Jaguars! posted:

Command-wise I think we need to get some stuff sorted. We have the following stuff that has fallen by the wayside:
  • Mortar batteries and various observers and command staff formerly run by Abelian
  • 3 Company tanks and HQ staff
  • 1-1 Platoon, still under command of Forums Terrorist but he hasn't posted in a while

• TG3 Reinforcements - two companies, HQ+AA, and maybe seperate tanks?
With the team size we have, we won't be able to cover all the platoons seperately, but we can split it up how we want.

AFAIK, we also have two players looking for billets - DSM and Decoy Badger, plus probably some other people whose units are doing nothing but holding the line.

Company Mortar Batteries + Observers
Company Tanks + HQ

Is there any reason PC can't/doesn't want to take command of this himself? If you'd rather delegate it then that's cool, but since we're down a lot of people I don't think there's any need to generate additional command billets (plus it would be nice for "command staff" to still have something specific to order around since we don't want them micro-managing subordinate units).

1-1 Platoon
I think we are going to fold this (plus the weapons teams in the pass) into a single command, which Glynnenstein is handling directly for now.

TG3 Reinforcements - two companies, HQ+AA, and maybe seperate tanks?

For TG3 I think we should do the following:
  • Roll TG3 command up under whomever is commanding our batallion level assets and delegate observers and air defense to company command
  • Have a dedicated commander for each company (not attached to existing units)
  • Have one "XO" for each company to assign platoons to
  • Have separate commanders for the detached Armor from TG3/1 and TG3/2
  • Merge existing platoon commands on the front line to free people up

I discussed it with Glynnenstein, and with his endorsement I'd like to take control of the reinforcement company that will be coming to support 1st Coy. In that instance, I would suggest consolidating my platoon under Frey (since our units are about to link up) and leaving the support teams and pass defense to Glynnenstein to delegate as he sees fit. If Frey doesn't feel like handling more units for whatever reason, I'd suggest delegating it to Koolkevz666, since he's basically been just tailgating in his tanks this entire game. First Company in general has not seen much excitement so far, but he's had an entire third of his command immobilized by mud!

I'm happy to delegate individual Platoons beyond that, although I don't think it's as immediate a concern (and in fact it will probably be easier to break the initial traffic jam if we just have a single company commander direct the move-out for the first 5 minutes).

I'd suggest giving Koolkevz the TG3/1 armored detachment (if he's interested) since he was promised tank action and has just done a lot of sitting still and getting shot at. I believe there was someone else who was offered a command and requested tanks, so they should get TG3/2's armor.

So here's what suggest:

quote:

TG3/1 Cmd: Hubis
TG3/1 XO: ?

TG3/2 Cmd: ?
TG3/2 XO: ?

TG3/1st Armor: Koolkevz666
TG3/2nd Armor: ?

As far as consolidating, 2nd Coy is the most diminished, but also has the most going on right now and might not want to shuffle things around at the moment. On the other hand, 3rd Coy has been doing almost as much sitting around and waiting, but it seems like that might change very shortly.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 29, 2017

Hubis
May 18, 2003

NastyToes posted:

I would suggest continuing south and redirecting some of 3rd company/engineers to fill the gap. Fray is up against an entire company, and the whole point is to draw their attention west. Even if the American forces take the danger zone, they are still far from Victory Road and have no support.

BTW: If this is the plan, someone please order this

e: vv Orders Updated vv

Hubis fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 29, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

1st Platoon: Move infantry and BTRs as indicated on the map below. Blueish = MOVE ; Yellowish = QUICK ; Magenta = HUNT

Hubis: I'll move that APC next orders phase once the other BTR is up there. For now I'd like to keep that there because it has great lines of fire down all the openings. GI please note not to move 1st Platoon 3rd APC until next orders.

Fray: You know what you're doing. Hubis should be able to relieve the vulnerability of your left flank soon. Hopefully there are additional resources to help you sweep the woods to your forward right soonish, as well.

Koolkevz66: Looks good. Godspeed moving forward!

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS 1/3

Minor adjustments. MOVE per blue. DEPLOY the HMG after the move.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders for 3 Company 2 Platoon 'Concerned Ukrainian Citizens', 3Co Weapons Platoon 'Humanitarian Convoy', Battalion ATGM platoon 'Lost Muscovite Football Team', Engineer Platoon 'Waifs and Strays'

3-2-2 Section
Cease fire.

Rest of 3-2, Engineers

Continue to previous RV point. Once there, 3-2 vehicles move south as show. Engineer trucks move to woods as shown and unload. Engineers begin their move to contact on foot. Yellow is quick, blue is move.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've been waiting to get assigned some of the reinforcements but maybe they already got passed out? I can't recall and I didn't notice if so.

Sorry if that's the case!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Besides Jaguars and DSM, who else do we still have from 3rd Coy? I haven't seen Phi post in a while. Is Katznmaus still here?

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
I am still here.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I've been waiting to get assigned some of the reinforcements but maybe they already got passed out? I can't recall and I didn't notice if so.

I'm also happy to not take command if we've got lots of people just sitting around! Just trying to get the ball rolling.

Obviously its hard to know who's still here if they don't have any units to post about, so a roll call is probably a good idea regardless.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You got the worst deal of the lot of us, grab a combat command.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Jaguars! posted:

You got the worst deal of the lot of us, grab a combat command.

If you feel comfortable commanding a company, TG3/2 is definitely open. If you'd rather handle a platoon or two, either TG3/1 or TG3/2 needs at least one subordinate. There's also the tank commands, which I imagine will be exciting (but high pressure!)

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Orders are final!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If those have already been assigned or spoken for go ahead and keep them. I've already had a shot, and even if it was short I don't want to take anything from anyone. I honestly don't mind tapping out at this point if everything's already taken care of, I'll stick in the thread and hang out. We good son.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If those have already been assigned or spoken for go ahead and keep them. I've already had a shot, and even if it was short I don't want to take anything from anyone. I honestly don't mind tapping out at this point if everything's already taken care of, I'll stick in the thread and hang out. We good son.

Other than Hubis saying he wants command of the company reinforcing 1st, I don't think anybody has said anything specific.

:siren::siren:
THERE IS A REINFORCEMENTS SECTION IN THE ROSTER WHERE YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR SPECIFIC UNITS

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

I would like some armor to command. I could take a T-72 platoon or take command of 3rd company's two remaining T-90s and let Yooper/Fuligin take over my units in 2nd company.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

NastyToes posted:

I would like some armor to command. I could take a T-72 platoon or take command of 3rd company's two remaining T-90s and let Yooper/Fuligin take over my units in 2nd company.

Decoy Badger has command of our tanks, but I'm pretty sure he wanted command of some of the reinforcements when they came in. I'm sure we can figure something out for you, but I'd like Decoy to have some input as well.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

dublish posted:

Other than Hubis saying he wants command of the company reinforcing 1st, I don't think anybody has said anything specific.

THERE IS A REINFORCEMENTS SECTION IN THE ROSTER WHERE YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR SPECIFIC UNITS

I cannot interpret this sheet.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I cannot interpret this sheet.

You can do it, I believe in you.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

dublish posted:

Decoy Badger has command of our tanks, but I'm pretty sure he wanted command of some of the reinforcements when they came in. I'm sure we can figure something out for you, but I'd like Decoy to have some input as well.

I'd be happy to swap or take over infantry, armour, or whatever needs commanding.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Turns are uploading now, the last few minutes of yours are just going over the reinforcements. I almost just want to do a five or ten minute turn to get them all unfucked from the road but that would probably tip off the NATO side that something was fucky :v:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

quote:

TG3/1: Hubis
1/1: Hubis
1/2: Decoy Badger
1/3: Decoy Badger
1/4 (Armor): Koolkevz666

TG3/2: Jaguars!
2/1: Jaguars!
2/2: DSM
2/3: DSM
2/4 (Armor): NastyToes

AA Platoon: ?
Observers/Aircraft: ?

If anybody has any objections, speak up.

3rd Coy will need some sorting out with two commanders moving to a new company. I can have Yooper take over NastyToes' platoon and have Fuligin handle our armor (not that it's doing much).

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

FrozenLiquidity hasn't posted since October 21. Should someone take over 3rd company's armor?

DSM still has one squad left in 3rd company. Maybe it can be given to Katznmaus to bring his platoon back to full strength?

NastyToes fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 30, 2017

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

NastyToes posted:

FrozenLiquidity hasn't posted since October 21st. Should someone take over 3rd company's armor?

DSM still has one squad left in 3rd company. Maybe it can be given to Katznmaus to bring his platoon back to full strength?

I agree on both counts. I think 3rd Coy has one mobile tank left in town?

We could probably use a video or screenshots highlighting unit locations and status. Katznmaus lent 2nd Coy a couple BTRs that probably aren't in working condition any more...

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

There are two tanks still mobile.

Here are DSM's and Katz's units. DSM's squad lost its RPG.

NastyToes fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

dublish posted:

If anybody has any objections, speak up.

quote:

TG3/1: Hubis
1/1: Hubis
1/2: Decoy Badger
1/3: Decoy Badger
1/4 (Armor): Koolkevz666

TG3/2: Jaguars!
2/1: Jaguars!
2/2: DSM
2/3: DSM
2/4 (Armor): NastyToes

AA Platoon: ?
Observers/Aircraft: ?

3rd Coy will need some sorting out with two commanders moving to a new company. I can have Yooper take over NastyToes' platoon and have Fuligin handle our armor (not that it's doing much).

I've got quite a mess of leftover units already, so if someone else wants to take my slots, speak up now. I'll see about taking in more leftovers if needed.

• Locked thread