Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jazzzzz posted:

Someone could drag their sweaty balls all over a helmet liner, box it back up, and return it np

Please don't doxx me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

comedy option: airpods???

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

not caring here posted:

I got some friends who have some other random makes and with us all the going consensus is if you are trying to interface with an iPhone it probably isn't going to work or work properly so keep this in mind. Headphones will definitely be your best bet if this is the case.

This has been my experience. My husband and I have a pair of Freecom 1's; his pairs perfectly fine with his S7, mine works like dogshit with my iPhone 7. It'll pair up at first, but will constantly drop the BT connection. Then again, we only really use them for the rider-to-rider intercom and not for piping in music or nav and it works well enough for that purpose, so :shrug:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

What's the thread's feeling on backpacks instead of tailbags? I have the Kreiga US30 and while I can clearly tell it's a quality waterproof tailbag, it's also a giant pain in the rear end to hook up and unhook every time I get on or off my bike. I commute to work everyday and have things that I need to carry back and forth. I live in Southern California so waterproofness is less of a concern than other places. I am considering switching to a backpack or something that is easier to get in and out of. The other alternative is saddlebags (bike is Yamaha XSR700) but that's at least 500 dollars for soft bags and I am not sure they'd be super useful since I still need to carry things to and from work. If there were a backpack that I could secure something like a tailbag, that'd be the most ideal situation. That way I can carry it when I need to but not have to wear in on my back while I ride.

alr
May 14, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

What's the thread's feeling on backpacks instead of tailbags? I have the Kreiga US30 and while I can clearly tell it's a quality waterproof tailbag, it's also a giant pain in the rear end to hook up and unhook every time I get on or off my bike. I commute to work everyday and have things that I need to carry back and forth. I live in Southern California so waterproofness is less of a concern than other places. I am considering switching to a backpack or something that is easier to get in and out of. The other alternative is saddlebags (bike is Yamaha XSR700) but that's at least 500 dollars for soft bags and I am not sure they'd be super useful since I still need to carry things to and from work. If there were a backpack that I could secure something like a tailbag, that'd be the most ideal situation. That way I can carry it when I need to but not have to wear in on my back while I ride.

I use a random Caribee backpack for commuting, if I'm carrying an uncomfortable amount of stuff it goes on the pillion seat with a cargo net holding it down. Works for me, but if you do go the method of strapping stuff down or using a net make sure the straps aren't going to catch on anything, and it isn't going to rotate around over the side

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

When my father passed, he left behind two huge hiking backpacks. I use one for carrying in all of my gear to work, where there's no locker, and then, if I need groceries, they come in handy to carry two big bags. "Lowe Alpine Sirocco L" they're called. They're great, but the amount of straps dangling down off of them is a little worrying. They have a lot of adjustment points.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
When I had an R6, I used the Kriega R25 backpack. It was a dream compared to standard backpacks. It was very easy to put on over my armored leather jacket. The clasp and straps took all the weight off my shoulders. It is super easy to adjust with an ingenious ring system. It was very comfortable during my daily commute. It carried my laptop, iPad, but not much else. The only thing I didn’t like about it is that I couldn’t just sling it over one shoulder when I was off the bike like a normal backpack. https://kriega.com/riderpacks/r25

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
downside of kriegas is that they are stupid heavy without anything even in them

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I had a vanquest sling bag that I used. It was good because it had a third torso strap to stop it flapping around. Until Monday when the main strap slipped off it’s buckle at 10mph on a heavily congested urban dual carriageway. Causing me to hit the emergency cutoff when grabbing it, and in a mild panic be unable to start the bike.

Now I’m using a normal osprey backpack who’s straps are sewn in. It’s got torso and waist straps so it’s pretty stable. but might get something more designed for riding.

It’s kinda dumb. I just have my shackle lock in it. Would kill for a mount to put it on and not need a bag.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I use a Kreiga US-20 mostly, but also recommend the Ventura racks and bags for trips over a day. I used to run with a backpack but it starts to poo poo the gently caress out of me about 50k in.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fanelien posted:

I use a Kreiga US-20 mostly, but also recommend the Ventura racks and bags for trips over a day. I used to run with a backpack but it starts to poo poo the gently caress out of me about 50k in.

I appreciate everyone's input. My commute is around 45 minutes but I often have spots I have to hop around during the day too. I thought of saddlebags but am leaning towards a good backpack with some cargo netting to attach it where my tailbag would normally go. That seems like the best of both worlds as far as carrying capacity and ease of use go.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I appreciate everyone's input. My commute is around 45 minutes but I often have spots I have to hop around during the day too. I thought of saddlebags but am leaning towards a good backpack with some cargo netting to attach it where my tailbag would normally go. That seems like the best of both worlds as far as carrying capacity and ease of use go.

Nothing beats hard lockable luggage... what kind of bike do you have?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yamaha XSR700

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I’m a sucker for full luggage on bikes.

https://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/2476-givi-pl2126-pannier-rack-for-yamaha-xsr700/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a Givi 35l waterproof rucksack which is excellent. Ride to work most days with a laptop, change of clothes and running kit in it.

https://www.givi.it/m/soft-bags/Others/UT802

There's not a lot to it, just a single compartment and a little zipped section inside. Straps are well placed. I don't notice when it's on.

Edit: it also comes with bungees to use as a tailpack

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I’ve started commuting to/from work through London, and while my Arai Axcess 3 is great on nearly all metrics, I have two issues with it

- it fogs up like a sauna even in warm weather, but I think a pinlock will fix this.

- when watching the road, the chin bar obscures my mirrors, gps and tacho. Meaning I can either look at the road, or them. Making what would be a ‘quick glance’ a full head movement.

I’m not sure how much of it to chalk up to inexperience, and how much is just bad ergonomics, but I often find myself doing last minute braking during traffic after checking my mirrors as a car in front has stopped sooner than expected.

Is this a common problem, me being a noob, or should I look at buying a helmet with a bigger viewing aperture (eg, Bell MX-9, Nolan N44) for commuting, and resign the arai to recreational lower-traffic trips?

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 9, 2018

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

A pinlock will solve your fogging, and if your helmet has a chin curtain, take it off for extra airflow. A nose guard piece helps too.

Your other problem is almost certainly a technique thing. You're likely following too close, and not paying enough attention to the traffic flow ahead of the car directly in front of you.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Horse Clocks posted:

I’ve started commuting to/from work through London, and while my Arai Axcess 3 is great on nearly all metrics, I have two issues with it

- it fogs up like a sauna even in warm weather, but I think a pinlock will fix this.

- when watching the road, the chin bar obscures my mirrors, gps and tacho. Meaning I can either look at the road, or them. Making what would be a ‘quick glance’ a full head movement.

I’m not sure how much of it to chalk up to inexperience, and how much is just bad ergonomics, but I often find myself doing last minute braking during traffic after checking my mirrors as a car in front has stopped sooner than expected.

Is this a common problem, me being a noob, or should I look at buying a helmet with a bigger viewing aperture (eg, Bell MX-9, Nolan N44) for commuting, and resign the arai to recreational lower-traffic trips?

Stop looking at your tacho.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm convinced the ideal learning bike has like a speedo somewhere by your knee or crotch and no other instruments of any kind. Don't stare at it, look where you're going. It won't tell you anything worthwhile anyway.

mewse
May 2, 2006

In my safety course I kinda gave them poo poo because they kept saying "head up! head up!" while also telling us we should be watching the speedometer at all times

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Obviously speedo should be attached to a longass cable and have a clamp to secure directly in front of your helmet.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Wireless HUD projected directly onto your visor, cyberpunk-style.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

In my safety course I kinda gave them poo poo because they kept saying "head up! head up!" while also telling us we should be watching the speedometer at all times

The first thing is how you ride properly, the second thing is how you pay lip service to the law.

If you're learning and aren't an idiot you're in a bike too slow for the speedo to matter worth a drat :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ride at a pace you're comfortable with and doesn't zoom past other traffic and don't care too much about the speedo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

While we're here, not having a tacho is pretty beneficial IMO. I never realised I was staring at it incessantly (I guess cause I started as a car enthusiast) until I got a bike without one (and a barely legible digital speedo to boot). It was incredibly liberating. After that I started making an effort not to look at tachos and it honestly felt like I had weights attached to my eyeballs dragging them downward, took me months to break the habit.

I've even successfully demonstrated this for other people; not that long ago I deliberately stuck a piece of tape over my mate's tacho (also a car enthusiast slowly seeing the light) and he immediately noticed the difference in his concentration and ability to focus and look through the corner.

Useless poo poo that only makes sense in a showroom: shift lights, digit speedos, bar tachos, gear indicators. AFAIK the logic in aircraft cockpits is that an analogue needle shows you at a quick glance roughly what the situation is and which direction the reading is trending, whereas a number you have to look at read and parse. This takes ages and robs attention. A quick glance at the needle and know you're somewhere near the speed limit, it takes a lot longer to read a number and understand you're doing 87 or whatever.

In a similar vein, riding around with navigation on the tank/bars has always struck me as an awful idea when you're learning. You only have so much mental bandwith; for my money it's better to have as few inputs as possible so you can focus on your riding. I'd rather get lost and go the long way than know exactly where I was when the SUV hit me.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 9, 2018

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Collateral Damage posted:

Ride at a pace you're comfortable with and doesn't zoom past other traffic and don't care too much about the speedo.

I mostly listen to the engine when in traffic. That, how much engine brake there is if I throttle down, and what the rest of traffic looks like makes it easy to only glance at the speedometer every minute or two.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The only thing I need on my dash is a neutral indicator and an idiot light that tells me I'm in sixth gear so I don't try to shift into seventh all the time.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I use the tach to tell me when I'm already in 6th :shobon:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Horse Clocks posted:

Get an ADV helmet and see the gauges, the road, and the sky at once. Once you go ADV you never go back.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/afx-fx-41-ds-eiger-helmet

For the fogging, I'd really like to find an option that doesn't involve pinlock, since that isn't available for my helmet. Scuba diver buddy was telling me about this blue wax stick thing that they use which lasts for months and is crystal clear. I need to find that.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Coydog posted:

Get an ADV helmet and see the gauges, the road, and the sky at once. Once you go ADV you never go back.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/afx-fx-41-ds-eiger-helmet

For the fogging, I'd really like to find an option that doesn't involve pinlock, since that isn't available for my helmet. Scuba diver buddy was telling me about this blue wax stick thing that they use which lasts for months and is crystal clear. I need to find that.

I keep looking at ADV helmets, but wouldn’t the visor/shape cause horrible wind buffeting at speed?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

IuniusBrutus posted:

I keep looking at ADV helmets, but wouldn’t the visor/shape cause horrible wind buffeting at speed?

You can take it off.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Slavvy posted:

This takes ages and robs attention. A quick glance at the needle and know you're somewhere near the speed limit, it takes a lot longer to read a number and understand you're doing 87 or whatever.

Uh, does it though? Because I always have to look at the needle, then figure out what numbers it's between, what hash mark is the current speed limit, then figure if I'm above it just enough that the cops will ignore me. As opposed to looking at a digital number and thinking "Yes, that is way to fast".

On the other hand I'm extremely used to digital readouts for everything to the point that analog needle readouts annoy me. So It may be more of what were each acclimatized to.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah I run without the visor, and don't have any issues with the shape. It gives me less buffeting problems than my agv k3 did. I think because it fits better. It's great for touring.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

I love my Chrome Industries Barrage. I've had it for years, and I've taken it all over the world with me. It's a roll-top, it's waterproof, and the netting on the front is handy for attaching it to things, and fastening all manner of stuff to it.

It's roomy enough that I can fit a bicycle helmet in the netting, or a change of shoes. It also nicely fits a U-lock in the side pockets (which I use for my bicycle), or a water bottle. Internally, the (non-padded) laptop pocket is just barely wide enough to fit my 13" MacBook Pro, and I generally keep my mirrorless camera and a small joby gorilla pod in it, with plenty of room to spare.

If you're going to buy one, I would recommend getting a custom bag by visiting a shop or calling them. They'll build you a bag in any combination of colors you want. When they made mine, I had them add some reflective piping to the back side for visibility.

I've had mine since 2014, and it's just starting to show signs of wear. I'd buy another one in a hearbeat.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i’ve had my chrome messenger bag for about 10 years of hard use doing bike work and it’s survived me getting hit by cars 6 times and it’s waterproof and i’ve literally never had a problem riding through literal downpours with a laptop in.

it also has like 7 attachment points and ways to secure the bag to your body.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

How can I find some nice roads to ride on near me? Is there some resource for cool paths / roads?

I tried googling "local twisties in my area, looking for fun ride" and boy let me tell you...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Use the time honored tradition of switching off your sat nav, going for a spin somewhere you haven't been and getting lost. All the best roads are discovered this way and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.

The best roads by definition are the ones that nobody on the internet knows about.

Looking at gmaps on satellite and finding the ones that aren't straight and don't have lots of houses around them will give you a general direction to head in.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Getting one of these maps for your state is a good start:

https://www.butlermaps.com/

And if you want to look around yourself and are okay with some hacky open-source stuff, this guy has made a tool that highlights all the twistiest roads anywhere in the country:

http://roadcurvature.com/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

And if you want to look around yourself and are okay with some hacky open-source stuff, this guy has made a tool that highlights all the twistiest roads anywhere in the country:

http://roadcurvature.com/

Well I'll be :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My god, will I finally find more curves on my costal plain? Gonna find out!