Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

xbilkis posted:

"Jeff...are you realizing you made a mistake telling this to more than six people...you're telling it to millions of people.....who we now have no choice but to show it to"

It would have been a pretty confusing end to the episode if they didn't...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Who even cares if we as fans knew it, there's a huge difference between being outed on national television unwillingly (though I'm guessing he allowed the footage to be shown, I doubt CBS would be that cruel) and people digging into someone's social media history to find out their status.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

lol at Sarah making this about her now

Nah I liked it. Studies show that acceptance goes way up when you get to know someone on a personal level, so showing someone from bumfuck nowhere can love a trans individual because they are a good person is a good thing.

I like how Probst just called it out and was like "Varner, right?" and said GTFO

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The lesson is that bad things happen when you won't vote out Ozzy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

This is really early to be going to tribal... some poo poo about to go down

That wasn't the poo poo I was expecting like at all. Weird little tribal.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Varner kind of hinted at it before tribal but I still didn't actually think it would go down like that. He says "I know something about Zeke that nobody knows, and it's personal and it has nothing to do with the game, but I want to show the kind of person he is" or something

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I think it's safe to say Varner will never be back to make a merge.

That was draining.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The thing is, Varner planted enough seeds to get Ozzy out.
But then that happened.

It was so unnecessary and further cements Varner as a petty and vindictive soul.
He went out last time on pretty lovely terms.

This one takes the cake for sure.
Now we will never speak of Jeff Varner again because he will never be invited back, ever.
He's now in the same company as Brian Heidik and Skupin.

WTG Ace! :bravo:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

obliriovrons posted:

Varner kind of hinted at it before tribal but I still didn't actually think it would go down like that. He says "I know something about Zeke that nobody knows, and it's personal and it has nothing to do with the game, but I want to show the kind of person he is" or something

I had the same thought, but I figured there was no way Varner was talking about that

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

blue squares posted:

I had the same thought, but I figured there was no way Varner was talking about that

Yeah, I just kind of had a "man, it can't be about that, right?" thought and then moved on. Can't believe this all went down like this.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
https://twitter.com/rupbot/status/852331606182420480

no rupbot. bad rupbot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think Rupert is still watching last season :confused:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I think Rupert is still watching last season :confused:

@rupbot is a neural net/markov chain/whatever that makes tweets based off of old Rupert tweets.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Wow.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Yeah I never expected Hali to solve that word puzzle faster than anyone else.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just realized, I bet the fact that even Zeke once lashed out personally at a tribal council helped him to forgive Varner a bit more readily. (Even though the things that he said about David weren't of the same magnitude as outing someone, by any means.)

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Wow. wow. Not only to out him, but to use that as an example of how Zeke deceives people? I don't give a poo poo how much you "help" transgender people in your real life, if you actually cared about them the idea of saying that would never have crossed your mind, yet alone been said out loud. If you really thought "everyone" except the people on this tribe knew, they would have known from being questioned about it when doing press, etc. for this show.

Varner had always seemed like a good guy. Dude just blacklisted himself.

I assume this was the first tribal ever with technically no official votes?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I remember the one time they kicked Brandon Hantz off right after a challenge because he was acting psycho and people were scared. It was kinda sorta an immediate tribal.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Codependent Poster posted:

I remember the one time they kicked Brandon Hantz off right after a challenge because he was acting psycho and people were scared. It was kinda sorta an immediate tribal.

I got the impression that Probst was only treating it like tribal and taking 'votes' in an attempt to put a veneer of normalism over Hantz being ejected and keeping him from flying off the handle.
EDIT: Like...remember, Jeff was having to maintain physical contact with Brandon the entire time

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 13, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

When that confessional teased Jeff revealing it, I really figured it was a nod to the super fans, for lack of better phrasing here, because I thought there was no way in hell anyone would actually do that, especially a gay man, but Jesus loving Christ.

I would've had to walk away for fear of punching that dumb gently caress. I'm still mad like 15 minutes later. Jesus Christ.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Varner: How many levels of "I'll do anything to win Survivor, it's all playing the game" are you on
Sarah: I'm going to play like a criminal instead of a cop, and I'll swear on my badge.
Varner: You are like little baby, watch this

Seriously, Varner must have been so deep inside "playing the game" mode to even consider that nonsense. Incredibly stupid. I wonder how soon he realized everyone is going to hate him now, and also I wonder if people would be defending him if it had somehow worked.

SteveVizsla posted:

Wow. wow. Not only to out him, but to use that as an example of how Zeke deceives people? I don't give a poo poo how much you "help" transgender people in your real life, if you actually cared about them the idea of saying that would never have crossed your mind, yet alone been said out loud. If you really thought "everyone" except the people on this tribe knew, they would have known from being questioned about it when doing press, etc. for this show.

Osten probably? I feel like they were at Tribal when Osten said to vote him out, and Jeff got pissed and threw his torch down without a vote.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Naonka and Purple Kelly both quit at TC and Jeff told em to GTFO

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SteveVizsla posted:

Yeah, I just don't get how Zeke is deceiving anyone there.

I was also liking Varner that episode and then really soured on him at that moment.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The thing that killed me was how he tried to act like it was some spur of the moment lovely decision when he'd clearly been planning on doing it.

Varner is just a selfish rear end and he always has been. I was somewhat surprised he stooped to this level but after taking time to digest it, I'm really not all that that shocked.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
this was really hosed up and was legit one of the most uncomfortable things I've seen on TV. Jesus christ.

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

"I argue for the rights of transgender people every day in the state of North Carolina."

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
https://twitter.com/CORINSANITY/status/852363716867661824

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Holy poo poo. "My trans friends", he says, as he outs someone while saying that Zeke being transgender is a deception. It became clear that Varner had "misread" the room, and was apologizing profusely for that. But I don't buy that he actually understand what he did was wrong, because he kept pushing the deception thing.

What an rear end in a top hat.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015
That was...distasteful. I always knew there was something funky about Zeke, but that it could be any number of things, and in the end, it didn't really matter. I had zero curiosity about it. But geez, outing someone on national television?!?

"The moving finger writes; and, having writ, moves on: nor all your piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line, nor all your tears wash out a word of it."

Jeff Varner, pariah. Probably one of Probst's most satisfying snuffs ever.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Robnoxious posted:

The thing is, Varner planted enough seeds to get Ozzy out.
But then that happened.

It was so unnecessary and further cements Varner as a petty and vindictive soul.
He went out last time on pretty lovely terms.

This one takes the cake for sure.
Now we will never speak of Jeff Varner again because he will never be invited back, ever.
He's now in the same company as Brian Heidik and Skupin.

WTG Ace! :bravo:

I haven't paid attention to Survivor in a while, what happened with Skupin?

*checks Survivor wiki*

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Wow 200 new posts hey guys what happened on survivor this we- :stare:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That was a great meme you regurgitated there. Totally original and contributed to the thread. :fuckoff:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh gently caress you Varner.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
There just isn't anything left to say about that.

:stare:

:cripes:

:sigh:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

My friend outed me as gay whilst she was drunk at a house party and I didn't speak to her for months. If I was in Zeke's position I probably would have voted Varner off by punching him in the face, National TV be damned.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
This isn't even just about outing. The notion that trans people are deceitful leads to people freaking out when they find out a trans person "lied" to them and that's when the murdering happens

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Zeke did a pretty solid write-up of the situation, as well as his life history and the part Survivor plays in it.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
I feel like this is probably the worst episode of Survivor ever tbh

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Holy gently caress that episode left a bad taste in my mouth.

I didn't buy varners apology for one loving second, the only goddamn way it would have been 'ok' is if he got caught up in the moment and blurted it out without thinking. It was very clear that he planned to say this and built up to it. gently caress that dude he is a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

I feel like this is probably the worst episode of Survivor ever tbh

Thought-provoking assessment

• Locked thread