Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm just call Khorgorath "design disaster" whenever we play at my FLGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

JcDent posted:

I'm just call Khorgorath "design disaster" whenever we play at my FLGS.

Presenting the Khortard, painted him in a more fleshy colour with some red rather than bright red to try and make him look more like a mutated Bloodreaver and match the palette of my other Khorne guys.

If GW removed about 80 of the skulls and gave him an actual correctly scaled head rather than a human sized skull it would look better.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
My girlfriend recently decided she wants to play AoS and got some boxes of dudes. So I'm going to use this as an excuse to grab the dopey balloon dorfs. Anyone have experience with them? Ideally against Nighthaunts or Death in general.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Bombogenesis posted:

My girlfriend recently decided she wants to play AoS and got some boxes of dudes. So I'm going to use this as an excuse to grab the dopey balloon dorfs. Anyone have experience with them? Ideally against Nighthaunts or Death in general.

They're essentially 4th edition T'au, shooty as hell and surprisingly quick when they're zipping around in their boats. They're pretty shabby in CC however, outside of a few units that are still only okay in it. Try and use your chaff to soak up fire and pin their boats in place, once they're gone you'll have a significant advantage over them.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Hams Community posted:

If you’re looking to build your own Tempest’s Eye army, you won’t have to wait long – Firestorm is out to pre-order this weekend, alongside the Armies of the Great Cities boxed sets. Come back tomorrow when we’ll be looking at the Wraith Fleet, an army of undead pirates(!)

Yesssssss.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Y'arrrrrrrrrrr.

Also, that one piece of art in the article has a pagoda next to all the Sigmarine and Dark Elf stuff CATHAY CONFIRMED.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

SteelMentor posted:

Y'arrrrrrrrrrr.

Also, that one piece of art in the article has a pagoda next to all the Sigmarine and Dark Elf stuff CATHAY CONFIRMED.

About 10yrs ago I tried to make an undead themed Mordheim warband (I think the idea came into my head after several beers and a Friday night chippy tea). The good old Empire Militia sprues + Skeletons were great and I think GW even did a Zombie pirate promotion and an entry in WD at the time.

Disclaimer: Never played Mordheim. (or AoS or Fantasy for that matter) :)

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Rules for a combined Stormcast/Kharadron army? This does not bode well for my wallet. No, it does not.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

richyp posted:

About 10yrs ago I tried to make an undead themed Mordheim warband (I think the idea came into my head after several beers and a Friday night chippy tea). The good old Empire Militia sprues + Skeletons were great and I think GW even did a Zombie pirate promotion and an entry in WD at the time.

Disclaimer: Never played Mordheim. (or AoS or Fantasy for that matter) :)

And to think I almost sold all my undead!

Undead pirates yessssssss, I miss the zombies pirate army from years ago

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I kinda dislike how AoS is going towards the army building rule clusterfuck that was 7e 40K.

So you get your Allegiance rules (which, if you're going with allies, affect some of your units), then you have battalions affecting some of your units, you super battalions affecting more of your units, and then the city rules on top of that you. You can probably layer on Kharadron city rules on top of that for turbo insanity.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of don't like how AoS is getting too small in it's army layouts.

I would prefer stuff like an allegiance ability for things like Skaven as a whole rather then chunks of the army like Clan Skyre and Pestilens.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JcDent posted:

I kinda dislike how AoS is going towards the army building rule clusterfuck that was 7e 40K.

So you get your Allegiance rules (which, if you're going with allies, affect some of your units), then you have battalions affecting some of your units, you super battalions affecting more of your units, and then the city rules on top of that you. You can probably layer on Kharadron city rules on top of that for turbo insanity.

I think it's kind of necessary for the legacy Armies, as a dark elf player from WFB, the Anvilguard let's me field my old army without sacrificing the ability to take allegiance abilities.

And the Wraith Fleet they just revealed today lets you field your undead Armies, just without the units introduced for End Times. You can easily ally in ghouls or zombies.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Disappointed the Zompirates aren't a full blown faction, but it's a neat set of bonuses for a neat army theme.

Does make me wonder what the next AoS release will be after Firestorm and 40k wraps up it's Death Guard releases. There's only a short window between end of October and the start of Necromunda Novemeber. I'd like to see these Elves they keep teasing in the Rumour Engine articles.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think this might be it for AoS for the year. Starting in October they're going to be pushing Shadespire and the expansion releases for that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think this might be it for AoS for the year. Starting in October they're going to be pushing Shadespire and the expansion releases for that.

It's blowing my mind that they are charging $60 for Firestorm.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Release the Nurgle book already.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah it looks like the stuff GW was giving to gaming stores for Kimora for free.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Injuryprone posted:

I know right, holy gently caress

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's a paperback book, map, cards, counters and poo poo right? 60 freedom bucks puts in codex price category. I'm interested in seeing what they'll charge for the boxes and whether they'll use it as a way of reducing prices without reducing prices (like the Start Collecting ones) or whether it'll be exactly the same price as the individual bits like the Allies ones they did. Hopefully they're a decent deal because that Tempest's Eye one has my attention with the Gyrocopter and Irondrakes as well as some more Prosecutors to pad out the 3 from Thunder and Blood.

Injuryprone posted:

Black_Nexus posted:

I know right, holy gently caress

Are they planning a Nurglesque, Blades of Khorne type book for Rotbringers + Daemons + Clan Pestilens?

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

richyp posted:

Are they planning a Nurglesque, Blades of Khorne type book for Rotbringers + Daemons + Clan Pestilens?

We didn't get anything in GHB2, so we better. Rumor was it would be before Death Guard and that didn't happen.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
There was a rumoured nurgle book, and since the blightwar box only gave an allegiance ability and nothing else they better release one soon since the wheel is useless without traits and artifacts to go with it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

richyp posted:

It's a paperback book, map, cards, counters and poo poo right? 60 freedom bucks puts in codex price category. I'm interested in seeing what they'll charge for the boxes and whether they'll use it as a way of reducing prices without reducing prices (like the Start Collecting ones) or whether it'll be exactly the same price as the individual bits like the Allies ones they did.

The allies boxes I saw were all discounts, usually in the $30-40 range. The city boxes are all $170, not bad considering the components of the cheapest one is $250. I'm just hoping they're not limited time only, like the $170 from last Christmas.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The allies boxes I saw were all discounts, usually in the $30-40 range. The city boxes are all $170, not bad considering the components of the cheapest one is $250. I'm just hoping they're not limited time only, like the $170 from last Christmas.

I thought the Allies boxes were exactly the same as the components? e.g. Tris Order Allies works out at 70 quid for:
- 2 boxes of Vanguard Raptors @ 22.50 each and
- 1 Knight Azyros @ 25

The Hammerhal one has the old Empire General in it, I had that model back in the day :)

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

richyp posted:

I thought the Allies boxes were exactly the same as the components? e.g. Tris Order Allies works out at 70 quid for:
- 2 boxes of Vanguard Raptors @ 22.50 each and
- 1 Knight Azyros @ 25

The Hammerhal one has the old Empire General in it, I had that model back in the day :)

There's allies boxes in brick and mortar stores that don't seem to be on the website. All about 400 points and a decent discount.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
[quote="richyp" post="476622137"]
It's a paperback book, map, cards, counters and poo poo right? [/quote

Yep. Oh, and STICKERS!!!! :yotj:

I'd pay $30 for this, tops.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yep. Oh, and STICKERS!!!! :yotj:

Well at least my 4yr old son gets something out of it, although his comic's usually have puzzles in too :(

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Danimo posted:

There's allies boxes in brick and mortar stores that don't seem to be on the website. All about 400 points and a decent discount.

They're on the website under their parent faction.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Daughters-of-Khaine-Blood-Coven

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Looks like the <Insert Name Here>'s <Faction> Allies boxes are the one's that are 1:1 actual price where as <SubFaction> boxes seem to be the better deals.

Fake Edit: This post brought to you by <Keyword> and the Letter K.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Humble Bundle has Total War: Warhammer for $20 right now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Stratagems are going to Age of Sigmar.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/22/the-armies-of-firestorm-stoneklaws-gustompas-sep22gw-homepage-post-4/

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Man, just rewrite the core rules at this point. So many different layers of possible rules references to deal with now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Firestorm almost seems like it is going to be another edition of the game.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TKIY posted:

Man, just rewrite the core rules at this point. So many different layers of possible rules references to deal with now.

I was thinking this yesterday on the drive home. There are so many additional rules and extras out there that "4 pages of rules!!!!" don't cover it anymore.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It's incredibly amusing to me that just as 40k has become sigmarized, AoS has gained more and more of 7th editions bloat. Truly the cycle continues.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly it happened faster than I expected

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
These sound seriously different from 40k stratagems. More like campaign rewards than anything.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

richyp posted:

If GW removed about 80 of the skulls and gave him an actual correctly scaled head rather than a human sized skull it would look better.

GW.txt

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

The Bee posted:

These sound seriously different from 40k stratagems. More like campaign rewards than anything.

They are campaign rewards, the more I read about firestorm the more it seems you aren't supposed to use this poo poo in regular play

quote:

You may be wondering what Stratagems are. Stratagems are a new feature for your games of Firestorm that allow you to accumulate points between missions and spend them on carefully chosen benefits – this could mean setting up one unit before a game to ambush another, or even forcibly taking the first battle round! Representing the insane and contradictory tactical advice given to him by his totemic severed heads, the Gutstompas get to use a stratagem for free every game, and even allow you to use stratagems outside of Firestorm.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oh great, an army that can use stratagems in normal play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Everyones least favourite miniatures, Sigmarines

Painted a couple of them a while ago, figured I'd paint a few more to complete the unit.

• Locked thread