Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

And do you think the swiss cheese-brained senior citizen in the Oval Office is handling things well?

Of course not - my point is just that it's probably not going to be a negative for an older Dem nominee in the eyes of most voters.

But Trump's age isn't the reason why he's such a racist, frothing idiot. He's always been a racist, frothing idiot. His age has just made it even less subtle than it already was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Bugsy posted:

I never thought he would go voluntarily. e - looks like it wasnt?

Some great replies in a really :3: tweet.

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/1059835249776058368

My wife and I took our 2 year old to the polls before we split for work and daycare, and while in line she said 'lets go see the boat, mama' and it took us awhile to realize she thought we were going to The Boat, not 'to vote.' :3:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Catalyst-proof posted:

He doesn't care. He wanted to do something, he's going to do it, regardless of how loving moronic or self-detrimental it is.

yeah, it will loving ruin him but he needs instant gratification.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lycus posted:

As I understand it, the House can just reinstate him in January.

A coup is impossible. The FBI hates him, most military officers outside of the Marines hate him, the Secret Service hates him and will turn around and take him into custody. Being a repulsive person has drawbacks.

Not a literal "Tanks on the White House lawn" coup, just actions that blatantly state, "The President is above the law and will stop any investigation into his crimes"-type coup.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Last i checked, there's like a 40% chance of Bernie getting severe dementia during his time in office. That actually matters a lot

Then he steps down and President Beto or Gillum or Nina Turner comes to power.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Just remembered that Infrastructure Week was on again. Am not disappointed.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Now imagine if we hadn't just won the house

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Maybe Sessions made a deal with Trump that he would only resign after the midterms? What would that buy him though, aside from more time?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

goethe.cx posted:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

mdemone posted:

It's too late. If this had happened a year ago or more, it might've worked.

Yeah if they try it now it just gets reopened by the House. I suspect Trump may have huffed his own farts and really thought they were going to get like 300 House seats or something and now he's panicking the gently caress out.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

nine-gear crow posted:

Matt Whittaker, a Trump bagman now becomes acting Attorney General until Lindsay Graham is slammed through by Turtle McFucker.

Didn't know anything about him, so I googled. When he ran for the Senate he promised he'd ask judicial candidates if they had "a biblical view of justice." Goodie.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

goethe.cx posted:

Not empty quoting.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

goethe.cx posted:

This is why on the whole yesterday was still a good day

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

RiggenBlaque posted:

Maybe Sessions made a deal with Trump that he would only resign after the midterms? What would that buy him though, aside from more time?

Folks convinced Trump to not fire Sessions until after the midterms, believing (not wrongly) that it would drag the Mueller investigation into the spotlight and give the Dems a big surge. So he ordered Sessions to resign today, and Sessions did so.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Didn't know anything about him, so I googled. When he ran for the Senate he promised he'd ask judicial candidates if they had "a biblical view of justice." Goodie.

And sessions isn’t the same?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TulliusCicero posted:

Watergate speed run back on folks!

Dude is lashing out like a cornered rat. Did he really not plan to lose the House? Is he that delusional?

You know the answer to this.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wouldn't Rosenstein become AG at this point? How is Trump circumventing that?

I look forward to Rod Rosenstein being fired, and him just going "yeah, nah" and going back to his office for the 18th time.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

RiggenBlaque posted:

Yeah I'm having a tough time figuring out the angle where him resigning after the mid-terms gains them anything.....

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Watergate speed run back on folks!

Dude is lashing out like a cornered rat. Did he really not plan to lose the House? Is he that delusional?

According to reports from inside the White House, yes, he is that delusional:

quote:

Trump was perplexed. Having fully bought into the narrative of Republican invincibility—supported by boisterous crowds, a string of special election victories, and of course, his own supposedly unprecedented accomplishments and record-smashing poll numbers—the president struggled to imagine a sweeping rebuke of his government.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I imagine his most important qualification is below:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2017/08/06/opinions/rosenstein-should-curb-mueller-whittaker-opinion/index.html

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

RiggenBlaque posted:

Trump seems to have come to the conclusion that he could only do a Saturday Night Massacre after the midterms. Sessions supports the Trump agenda and is fine with them killing the Mueller investigation, and figured that this timing makes the most sense for everyone involved.

DandyLion posted:

Yeah I'm having a tough time figuring out the angle where him resigning after the mid-terms gains them anything.....

It means they don't have a massive scandal on their hands before a critical election. They sooner they do it after the midterms, the longer between firing Mueller and November 2020.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
No loving way
https://twitter.com/freedlander/status/1060260007676129281?s=21

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

That's not how succession works in civil agencies.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

wednesday afternoon half-asssacre

Fixd.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

TulliusCicero posted:

Because its a resignation, not a firing.

Edit:

mdemone posted:

That's not how succession works in civil agencies.

If I'm not mistaken, it would have had Sessions been fired, correct?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Reik posted:

Didn't someone explain way back that acting AG can't fire Mueller, he'll need to be confirmed to take back the authority from Rosenstein?

No one appears to know for sure from what I'm seeing/reading.

I wonder if Mueller is canned before the end of the day. They might want to move quick on this one.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

Because Sessions resigned, Trump has the power under the Vacancies Reform Act to name any senate-confirmed official as his successor.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

XyrlocShammypants posted:

And sessions isn’t the same?

Congratulations. You've discerned the point.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ooooookay here we goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Buckle up fuckaroos

JEFF SESSIONS OUT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOy6hqzfsAs

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Majorian posted:

Then he steps down and President Beto or Gillum or Nina Turner comes to power.

It wouldn't happen that smoothly and would delay a lot of good things happening

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
*comes running in, out of breath*

GUYS! JEFF SESSIONS RESIGNED!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

fishing with the fam posted:

Because its a resignation, not a firing.

Edit:

If I'm not mistaken, it would have had Sessions been fired, correct?

Yeah I'm 80% sure you're right.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1060260786159923201

uh oh

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

https://twitter.com/ClintSmithIII/status/1060259028402692096

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1060260878556319744

Scott Walker conceded finally. gently caress that guy.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

loving INDICT SOMEBODY

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/Cecchini_DC/status/1060260444185747456

lol

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

In the sense of the Vacancies Reform Act it's a resignation, not a firing. For purposes of the media, yes he was fired.

Is that settled law/in the text of the act, Weas? Just curious.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

He also wrote an OpEd that specifically outlined all the minute Dick Dastardly-level ways to stall up and kill the Mueller Investigation without ever firing Mueller. So he’s either going to have to recuse himself immediately (lol right), or basically Mueller gets to show up to work every day and just sit behind a desk looking menacing since he no longer has any funding to do anything, is no longer allowed to investigate the people he wants to after the acting AG declines all his subpoena requests, and then just gets to shrug and rabbit ear his pockets after Whitaker takes whatever report he comes out with and files it away to the nearest paper shredder.

Again, Watergate speedrun resumes, but Trump is also playing with cheat codes...