Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

MREBoy posted:

5lb turkey meatloaf and 5lb black forest ham meatloaf, whee

... What do you think deli meat looks like at the grocery store before they slice it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
:siren:The meat slicers are now active at Subway restaurants:siren:

quote:

The new machines, probably a relief to Subway franchisees and employees everywhere, are automatic. That means that after a hunk of meat is loaded into it, the machine will do the slicing itself rather than require an employee to push the handle back and forth.

In order to mark the momentous introduction of meat slicers, Subway has created a lineup of four new sandwiches comprising an entirely new category on the Subway Series menu called Deli Heroes. Some of them even feature extra meat, in what I’m guessing is a subtle nod to the powers of the deli slicer. The new sandwiches are:

-Grand Slam Ham: 33% more ham (than the Classic sandwich portion), double provolone, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and mayo
-Titan Turkey: 33% more turkey, double provolone, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and mayo
-Garlic Roast Beef: roast beef (regular portion), double provolone, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and Roasted Garlic Aioli
-The Beast: pepperoni, salami, turkey, ham and roast beef, which adds up to a half-pound of meat on a footlong, along with double provolone, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, mayo, and vinaigrette

I bought two of the new Subway sandwiches for lunch, and I tried to select the ones that feature the most differentiators from the classic lineup. This led me to The Beast (no connection to MrBeast) and the Garlic Roast Beef. The Beast, to which I added jalapeńos and black olives for the hell of it, definitely felt like a hefty boy in comparison to the other, since it had a formidable half pound of meat on it (see photo at the top).

For a deli sandwich, the footlong was substantial, and definitely something you and a friend could split for lunch. But considering the sub was loaded with such typically flavorful meats as pepperoni, salami, turkey, ham, and roast beef, nothing really stood out—I just felt like I was biting into a thick tube of generic deli meat, and I couldn’t quite get a fix on any flavors in particular aside from salt. Even the vinaigrette was hardly noticeable.

My takeaway is that it was fine, but I’m not sure I would have noticed the difference between freshly sliced and pre-sliced meat if I hadn’t seen the deli slicer in action myself. At least I could stare at its movements while my sandwich was being made. That was interesting.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
In re: green light/red light - its a safety feature. That giant rear end knob is what sets the slice thickness. Green means the thickness is set to 0 and the blade is "parked" which means the machine is slightly less prone to eating your fingertips or face if you try something stupid. Red means it has a thickness set and therefore the machine is now capable of seriously harming/mangling you if you turn your back on it. As to visibility of the slicer, having it somewhere where the customers are able to directly view it is a mandate from Subway corporate. Even if this means putting it somewhere that is not technically considered or was never used as a prep area. A lot of places lost counter space used for other purposes or had to move things like microwaves around to make room for it. I have no idea how places that had basically no space like this to begin with do it. Guess this is what happens when you have store layouts that never anticipated using slicers for the entire time the franchise has been going from day 1 up to about 8 months ago. Oh and while its "automatic" in that the meat holder goes back and forth on its own you still have to babysit it so the pile of slices doesn't stack up so high it can't slice anymore, that's what the big green catch bin is for - you move piles of slices every so often in it.

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 6, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh Lord the one guy who kept asking about the beast must be happy

If he's not in jail anyway

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The 6 inch versions of the new subs are ten dollars at my subway. 10 dollars!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
drat you could get Jersey Mike’s for that.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

eating my first sandwich with sliced in store turkey and its fine. tastes like their old turkey they had a few years ago.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

eightysixed posted:

I'm not going to sit here and dump on the meatball sub (I haven't had one in a couple years), but I remember them being good.
But then you think that the "meatballs" or whatever they're made of has been sitting there in an open container for God knows how many hours/days/years.
I'd still buy it, but when you break it down, it's sort of gross...

They should be tossed like every 12 hours. The sauce does get pretty crusty on top, but if you break past that everything underneath is as good as it is when its first plorped into the heater. I loving hated making the meatball subs, they were the messiest poo poo and every time I could get away with it I'd toss the meatballs early and we'd just be "out" for the rest of the night.

The pro move is getting oil, peppers and onions on the bread then getting it toasted, THEN putting meatballs on it. real subheads know

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
My son [8] finally tried subway - he got the meatball sub and he loves it. He calls it the meatball sandwich with mozzarella cheese.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Meatball subs rule.

I drive by a Subway every day, and I've thinking about stopping to get one...

Provolone please.

Yes I would like it toasted. Bananna pepper and parm please and thank you!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

when the hell did Subway go from $5 footlongs

to $16 goddamnn

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

GateOfD posted:

when the hell did Subway go from $5 footlongs

to $16 goddamnn

Order through the web or app and use promo 599FL for $5.99 footlongs. Worked in my location for like 6 months now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I haven't seen a single slicer here so far.

I couldn't care less either. I don't go to subway for high quality and freshness.

----------------

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I haven't seen a single slicer here so far.

I couldn't care less either. I don't go to subway for high quality and freshness.

I only go there semi-annually to satisfy a desire for a gross meatball sub. Absolutely nobody cares about the slicer.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i been getting the preztels there even though its very mid. compared to a real Auntie Annes

----------------

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Wendigee posted:

Order through the web or app and use promo 599FL for $5.99 footlongs. Worked in my location for like 6 months now.

lol @ a subway that bothers to accept subway coupons come on man

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

GateOfD posted:

i been getting the preztels there even though its very mid. compared to a real Auntie Annes

wait does subway have pretzels or do you think you're in the sonic or mcdonalds thread?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

wait does subway have pretzels or do you think you're in the sonic or mcdonalds thread?

wait does mcdonalds have pretzels

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nikumatic posted:

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Okay on second thought, I've seen a McDonalds with pretzels. Once upon a time the family fun center I went to as a child, the restaurant inside was a McDonalds and they had chili dogs and pretzels because it was a family fun center and you just have to have those things.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Nikumatic posted:

yah they have them in a case up by the register with the apple pies or w/e. they literally look like plastic. maybe it was a limited time thing i haven't been inside a mcdonald's in a while

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/product/gourmet-twist-hot-pretzel-with-butter-salt.html

e: maybe they were only in mcdonald's inside a gas station or something? Sometimes they have different menu, like how the arby's inside Love's truck stops have breakfast

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 26, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

subway has a bunch of stuff now in their efforts to find something to stick since they been falling.
They have pretzels, pizza and french fries now too.

----------------

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

yah they have them in a case up by the register with the apple pies or w/e. they literally look like plastic. maybe it was a limited time thing i haven't been inside a mcdonald's in a while

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/product/gourmet-twist-hot-pretzel-with-butter-salt.html

e: maybe they were only in mcdonald's inside a gas station or something? Sometimes they have different menu, like how the arby's inside Love's truck stops have breakfast

they literally look like plastic because they are. those are display models. they take the real ones out from somewhere else and heat them up and apply a coating of butter or whatever onto it

----------------

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

what the gently caress I want McDonald's pretzels even if they are bullshit

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Mix. posted:

what the gently caress I want McDonald's pretzels even if they are bullshit

Same.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I had a pretzel from a Walmart Subway in Florida last year. It was pretty good.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

GateOfD posted:

subway has a bunch of stuff now in their efforts to find something to stick since they been falling.
They have pretzels, pizza and french fries now too.

they used to have ok personal pizzas. not great, but good if you were in the mood for pizza and didn't want a full size pizza. mine doesn't have any of that stuff you described, though.

got the boss (meatball and pepperoni with maranara) and its alright.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

If they add hotdogs, it be pretty great.
Subway hotdog, pretzel and a slushie

----------------

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

GateOfD posted:

If they add hotdogs, it be pretty great.
Subway hotdog, pretzel and a slushie

sounds like you actually just want sonic

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They still have the personal pizzas. At least, mine does. Used to work next to one and got them when I was sick of subs and they were p good.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol the gently caress, aren't there like 5 pizza places within a few blocks?

----------------

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

today, got the subway pizza, preztel and slushie.

the pizza is literally a microwave pizza, but i just really wanted one.
it might actually be worthy of the name if i added veggies but didn't wanna pay extra

----------------

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
feel like if you're willing to do a pizza from subway you might as well just hit the 7-11

...gently caress now i kinda want to make a bad decision and go gruffle a 7-11 pizza

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chief McHeath posted:

lol @ a subway that bothers to accept subway coupons come on man

Yeah seriously. Every subway around here that I go into have printed signs of all of the deals they do or do not accept. They always have maybe one that they're taking at the time.

I literally assume no deals that I've heard of at any subway I go to. I also very rarely go there now.

I just went to McDonald's and a loving McDouble was $2.89. Fast food sucks so bad these days. wtf

----------------

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Subway is starting a new loyalty program, with three tiers:

quote:

At the bottom tier are Pro members, who spend less than $200 per year at Subway (statistically, that’s most of us). Pro members receive the following benefits:

10 points per $1 spent on qualifying purchases
5% bonus points on mobile orders
Members-only deals, bonus point days and earning challenges
Birthday and anniversary rewards

The next level up are Captain members, who have an annual Subway spend of $200-$399.99. These members receive all the same perks as Pro members do, plus:

“Better” birthday and anniversary rewards
10% more points per $1 spent on qualifying purchases
Exclusive bonus point days
Access to members-only Subway Swag Shop

The highest tier of this new rewards program is called All-Star and is reserved for members who have an annual spend of $400 or more at Subway (that is a LOT of footlongs). Members in the All-Star tier receive the same perks as the Captain tier, plus the following:

“Even better” (once again, the brand’s words) birthday and anniversary rewards
20% more points per $1 spent on qualifying purchases
Free Chip Fridays (with purchase)
More bonus points days
Access to members-only VIP exclusives

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Not overtly mentioned: you can now redeem point/offers with just your phone number, no more needing the physical card or phone app. You even get to punch it into the credit card reader yourself! I'm sure this won't be abused by unscrupulous dickheads at some point!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
pretty sure my subways wont accept anything that would save me a penny

the dude who owns the one closest to me sleeps in the building, i think. he looks homeless. he doesnt accept anything whatsoever

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Subway wants to be known for footlongs of all kinds. :pervert:

They're making the footlong chocolate chip cookie a permanent addition to the menu and adding a footlong pretzel from Auntie Anne's (with your choice of dipping sauce from the ones Subway has on offer, so you can finally dip your soft pretzel into sweet onion teriyaki sauce) and a footlong Cinnabon churro. And they'll all be served hot.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i think footlong preztel too much for me.
but i can dig into that foot long churro

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

If your unfurled pretzel isn’t 12 inches just lol