Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

indigi posted:

for some reason I hate betting the under. win or lose, "no please stop scoring" feels worse to me than "yes please keep scoring" idk why

I bet every Thursday Night under. I do a sidecast the entire game, so if it is going to be a poo poo game, I'd rather get paid. They hit on TNF more often than they miss, so season long I will be ahead.

Season long bets unders have the most value, but I think overs are better for individual games because all it takes is one big play for it to hit. And if I'm going to bet on a random outcome, I'd rather find ones that won't have me stressing the entire game unless they miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
don't unders historically outperform overs by some small amount, like 53/47? I wonder what happens if you bet every under all season

e: it's even smaller than that, slimmer than 51/49

indigi fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 26, 2023

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

indigi posted:

don't unders historically outperform overs by some small amount, like 53/47? I wonder what happens if you bet every under all season

Yeah because human nature you don't want to look forward to "bad things" happening. The big place to find value in this is superbowl props

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

LionYeti posted:

Yeah because human nature you don't want to look forward to "bad things" happening. The big place to find value in this is superbowl props

correct--most people bet either heads or tails but it takes some real stones to bet on the edge

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Spokes posted:

correct--most people bet either heads or tails but it takes some real stones to bet on the edge

Yeah but I haven't found a book that'll let me

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

LionYeti posted:

Please explain

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

indigi posted:

Please explain

Generally speaking for Superbowl player props, which are some of the few props that the general public really looks into and bets heavily, theres more value in the unders by and large.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

indigi posted:

Yeah, it is a coin flip. But with season long unders, injuries and outside factors make those smarter bets. All things being equal in a single game, I'm not worried about an injury. I just know that all it takes is one play for an over to hit, so I'd rather focus on that.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bet on Chicago.

Lol. Lmao.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Uggghh motherfuckin Chapman.

Had a freebie $25 bet so I threw it on the rangers to win by 3 at +1000. It looked good for a long time at 3-0, but as soon as Chapman came out for the bottom of the 8th I knew it was doomed lol.

3-1 final.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Bet on Chicago.

Lol. Lmao.

I bet against the Chargers. Same difference. I'm just annoyed my DJ Moore parlays against the worst secondary in football didn't hit because they just decided to keep throwing to Tyler Scott.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
lol odds boosts

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

So wait was that -8000 boosted to +100?

Sure proves the point to never ever touch those super heavy faves bets, imo, goddamn.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
He had a few games last year where he didn’t make a 3 Pointer. I don’t think it should have been -8000 to begin with, almost has a “increase the price to mark it down on Black Friday” feel to it

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Nybble posted:

He had a few games last year where he didn’t make a 3 Pointer. I don’t think it should have been -8000 to begin with, almost has a “increase the price to mark it down on Black Friday” feel to it

yeah last season he hit a trey in 65 out of 68 games, a fair line based on only that would be like, -2200ish

obviously an odds boost will almost always be very +EV but it's always incredible when one of these massive favorites misses

-signed, guy who bet the prizepicks zion o0.5 points promo in the game where his shoe blew out and he sprained his knee 36 seconds in

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Spokes posted:

obviously an odds boost will almost always be very +EV

Please don't go forward with that assumption, I've priced thousands of boosts over the years and a significant number (>50% I'd say) of them are -EV. That boost looks like one of those new customer signup boosts with such an extreme boost, but definitely check that against a few other sources, preferably sharp, to see how it rates.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Please don't go forward with that assumption, I've priced thousands of boosts over the years and a significant number (>50% I'd say) of them are -EV. That boost looks like one of those new customer signup boosts with such an extreme boost, but definitely check that against a few other sources, preferably sharp, to see how it rates.

that is wild--i had no idea, appreciate the notice. i guess it makes sense.

anyhow to show that i've definitely learned my lesson here's my boosted sgp for tonight

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, the 3 leg parlay boosts on FanDuel are absolutely designed for suckers. I've gotten better at setting up parlays that can give me a good enough hit rate to do well. I really do try to avoid parlays, but I am 4-12 on the season and turning a slight profit.

One thing I always preach with parlays is to try to limit outcomes. If I'm doing a receiving yards bet on a player in a parlay, I want his receptions tied in to that bet because one outcome helps the other.

But really, I'd rather just bet more money on the yardage prop.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Sataere posted:

Yeah, the 3 leg parlay boosts on FanDuel are absolutely designed for suckers.
draftkings, too :)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Spokes posted:

draftkings, too :)

I still do every one lol. But I invest a very small portion of my bankroll to parlays because parlays are fun

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Speaking of parlays, anyone use Underdog here? My state doesn't have legalized sports betting yet (NC - will be coming next year) and I messed around with the over/under pick ems there for a bit. Really didn't like being forced to choose players on opposing teams just to place a bet but maybe that's what keeps it in a legal grey area. I stopped deposting and decided to just wait until I can bet at an actual book next year anyway lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's upsetting but not surprising to learn that the parlay boosts are for suckers because 3-leg NBA parlays are how I tripled my bankroll (and have brought it back from the dead after an abysmal start at NFL betting). sad to know I'm not good at making them, most likely just getting lucky. I thought I had skill :(

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

indigi posted:

it's upsetting but not surprising to learn that the parlay boosts are for suckers because 3-leg NBA parlays are how I tripled my bankroll (and have brought it back from the dead after an abysmal start at NFL betting). sad to know I'm not good at making them, most likely just getting lucky. I thought I had skill :(

Parlays are where I've made most of my money this season on football. But betting on 3 outcomes to happen is almost always a long term losing proposition.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sataere posted:

Parlays are where I've made most of my money this season on football. But betting on 3 outcomes to happen is almost always a long term losing proposition.

There's a LOT of vig to overcome in parlays and especially SGPs to make them profitable. Usually the boosts don't cover it. That being said, I always do a 3 team spread/point parlay for my risk free bets. Over the long run I believe the math has the freebet conversions to come out to something like 72% of face.

Y'all were asking me to do a write up of what I do, well, Captain Jack at Unabated made a really good video that hits the high notes so I didn't have to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQt2sq0_s64

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Spokes posted:

that is wild--i had no idea, appreciate the notice. i guess it makes sense.

anyhow to show that i've definitely learned my lesson here's my boosted sgp for tonight

They’re all +EV when you hit :agesilaus:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This is how you boost.

It cashed.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Grats, first basket props are super interesting

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I don't bet them usually, but have a half healthy DK that offered me a boost so found a first basket line that was better than everywhere else and hit that with some good short lines that met the requirements. With the boost, should be good enough to toss $50 at.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
This means nearly nothing (except AI KNOWS ALL!!!) but on September 1st I gave GPT4 Data Analysis the MLB stats so far that year and did some crunching, and ended up putting $20 on the Rangers at +1400 because of what I saw in some of the charts. Pretty cool!

https://chat.openai.com/share/4cc5f7f1-10ff-46fe-85e6-5ecf827870c4

pzy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 2, 2023

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

taking Levis u201.5 passing yards tonight for the boosted DK bet--i think the line is higher than it should be after he threw for four TDs last week, this strikes me as a game where he hands it to Henry 30 times and throws it to the Steelers twice

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

probably a good bet, I don't trust a QB in their second start, vs Tomlin, on Thursday, in Pittsburgh, to fill out the score sheet

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Takin loads of unders tonight

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

no unders refused

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don't even have money on it but I’m on the edge of my seat fingers crossed that they just pound the air out of the ball with Henry and the Steelers go on an 8 minute drive. no more Levis passes he's at 193 yards!!!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Fun sweat! I don’t think Levis has “it” but he outperformed my expectations and I’m excited to keep watching him

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

indigi posted:

I don't even have money on it but I’m on the edge of my seat fingers crossed that they just pound the air out of the ball with Henry and the Steelers go on an 8 minute drive. no more Levis passes he's at 193 yards!!!

I was a Levi’s under from hitting a $25->$400 play. I knew when the Steelers got the ball with two minutes left it was dead.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Imagine tailing goon bets!

(ok I did it with a bonus bet, bye bye money)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Can’t-miss-double-super-magic parlay of the day

Rams +3.5
Ravens -6.5
Vikings team total under 16.5
TB/HOU o39.5

Not a lot of particularly brave stances but I’ll take +1192 on it sure

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Spokes posted:

Can’t-miss-double-super-magic parlay of the day

Rams +3.5
Ravens -6.5
Vikings team total under 16.5
TB/HOU o39.5

Not a lot of particularly brave stances but I’ll take +1192 on it sure

I've followed you on this for giggles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

My apologies.