Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

But smaller sizes are generally better for the "hard of holding" that arthritic hands can become.

6S/7 size isn’t that much different, and screen size is really important for people who haven’t used a smartphone before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

6S/7 size isn’t that much different, and screen size is really important for people who haven’t used a smartphone before.

That was in response to a post about the SE, not the 6S. I'm not disagreeing that larger screens are easier to see, I'm pointing out that there are accessibility considerations for the aged that work the other direction. Individual attention is required and blanket statements are impossible to make.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm US citizen but I live outside the US permanently.

I have a Google Voice number which works fine for like 80% of the services I use, but occasionally some institution will refuse to send me text verification SMS because they don't accept GV numbers, or the texts will get sent but simply not get received on my side.

Is there a more consistent service for this sort of thing? O alternatively, what's the cheapest option to keep a permanent mobile number in the US?

I have a fairly good credit score, if that matters.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Can you guys recommend me an Android phone around the 500€ price point that has a IP57+ water resistance rating and dual sim?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

General Emergency posted:

Can you guys recommend me an Android phone around the 500€ price point that has a IP57+ water resistance rating and dual sim?

LG G7 has dual sim and IP water resistance.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
My moto x 2 had gotten sluggish and I'd been thinking of upgrading for a while and I dropped the phone and destroyed the screen last night. So, nice. I'd like a mid/upper phone but not premium, prefer to stay under $500. Android.

Nokia 7.1?
Would like a pixel 2 but $650 is tough to swing

I really liked the stock android and soft-touch back (ugh, all phones are glass now) of the 3 moto x phones I've had but Motorola's phones now don't look so enticing

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. After 4 years, my Nexus 6 is both starting to act erratically (esp. around text messaging) and is losing battery charge quickly. It's probably time for an upgrade. I'm not looking to change plans, just the hardware. My details:

• Country/Provider: USA / Verizon

• Current contract status: none

• Budget (phone/plan): $500-ish

• Features I know I want: Android, large screen (~6"), ability to unlock/swap SIMs when traveling to Europe

• Nice-to-haves but not dealbreakers: wireless charging, as close to stock Android as possible, headphone jack

My best options seem to be a new G6 (which is down on my desired screen size), or go used for S9/S9+/Note 8 or Pixel 2XL. The former are pricey and the latter still seems to be hit-and-miss on the blue shift screen problem, on top of general buying used / out of warranty risks.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. After 4 years, my Nexus 6 is both starting to act erratically (esp. around text messaging) and is losing battery charge quickly. It's probably time for an upgrade. I'm not looking to change plans, just the hardware. My details:

• Country/Provider: USA / Verizon

• Current contract status: none

• Budget (phone/plan): $500-ish

• Features I know I want: Android, large screen (~6"), ability to unlock/swap SIMs when traveling to Europe

• Nice-to-haves but not dealbreakers: wireless charging, as close to stock Android as possible, headphone jack

My best options seem to be a new G6 (which is down on my desired screen size), or go used for S9/S9+/Note 8 or Pixel 2XL. The former are pricey and the latter still seems to be hit-and-miss on the blue shift screen problem, on top of general buying used / out of warranty risks.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Pixel 3XL? If you happen to be adding a line the have a buy one get one currently. Unfortunately no discount for just one upgrade.

Although it’s out of your budget, but you could at least do payment plan over 2 years. 3 XL is arguably worth the upgrade over the 2 XL. 2 XL is still a good buy though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Pixel 3XL? If you happen to be adding a line the have a buy one get one currently. Unfortunately no discount for just one upgrade.

Although it’s out of your budget, but you could at least do payment plan over 2 years. 3 XL is arguably worth the upgrade over the 2 XL. 2 XL is still a good buy though.

Yeah, if buying new at MSRP, go for the slightly more expensive 3 XL. If you can get the 2 XL with a discount, though, it's still really good. Main improvements were a better quality display (though adding the notch) and wireless charging (though that required switching from nice metal case to all glass).

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hey, can anyone recommend a phone? Swapping from AT&T to t-mobile and getting a new phone.

Current phone is a note 3, and I like the large screen. I understand there's been some advances in software.

Current looking at the LG v30; i think the band 71 rollout might happen. I'm in colorado, if that makes sense.

Country/Provider: USA / T-mobile

Current contract status: none

Budget (phone/plan): 500+?; typical smartphone fare. Will be insured/2 year payments

Features I know I want: Nice/large screen, netflix app, android (would consider others), great battery life.

Nice-to-haves but not dealbreakers. Headphone jack. Edit: Ability to minimize or get rid of pre-installed crap (how is the rooting game/requirement these days?)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 23, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

Hey, can anyone recommend a phone? Swapping from AT&T to t-mobile and getting a new phone.

Current phone is a note 3, and I like the large screen. I understand there's been some advances in software.

Current looking at the LG v30; i think the band 71 rollout might happen. I'm in colorado, if that makes sense.

Country/Provider: USA / T-mobile

Budget (phone/plan): 500+?; typical smartphone fare. Will be insured/2 year payments

Features I know I want: Nice/large screen, netflix app, android (would consider others), great battery life.

Nice-to-haves but not dealbreakers. Headphone jack

I don’t know which phones have T-Mobile’s band, but avoid LG like the plague. They have had the worst track record and are the quickest to drop phone support.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thanks for the heads up.

On top of that, My current conundrum is 'keep the current phone I have, a note 3, and deal with the hastle of making AT&T unlock it' vs 'a cheap 200-250$ phone now' (samsung j7?) vs 'tough it out until black friday and/or things to get cheaper when the galaxy 10's get announced/released in march'

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Duckman2008 posted:

sourdough posted:

Yeah, if buying new at MSRP, go for the slightly more expensive 3 XL. If you can get the 2 XL with a discount, though, it's still really good. Main improvements were a better quality display (though adding the notch) and wireless charging (though that required switching from nice metal case to all glass).

I appreciate the 3XL suggestion, but it just feels like far too much to spend on a phone. Plus, the notch. JFC, the notch.

If it weren't for the random lovely screens in the 2XL I'd probably get one off Swappa or Gazelle. Maybe I'll instead sit tight and look for discounts on a new one around Black Friday and snag one then. Which I'm sure is what everyone else is also planning.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I posted a couple weeks ago, but I'll start again now with more info after additional research. Basically, my wife and I both need new phones. I'm coming from an iPhone 6 and she's coming from a Nexus 5X. I'm on a Verizon family plan with the rest of my family, and she's on Google Fi by herself.

• Country/Provider: US, Verizon & Google Fi
  • Current contract status: None
  • Budget (phone/plan): None in particular, we just don't want to pay more than is worthwhile for us. We expect to use only around 3GB/month total between the two of us.
  • Features I know I want: Not a huge size and a great camera.

It seems to me that it would make a lot of sense for us to take advantage of the buy one get one free Pixel 3 deal at either Verizon or Fi, since all we would need to do is move one of our lines to the other's plan. I have some concerns, though. If I move to Fi, we'll have a straightforward and cheap plan at around $65/month, but will no longer have the Verizon network available in areas where T-mobile+Sprint isn't sufficient (granted, we live in NYC, so it should only be a problem when traveling). On the other hand, if she moves to Verizon, we'd likely be on the $40/line unlimited plan, which is more expensive and excessive for our limited data use, while also "slowing traffic in times of congestion", whatever that actually means in practice.

What do you guys think? Is Fi coverage good enough vs. Verizon that we shouldn't be concerned? Is the Verizon traffic slowing actually noticeable? If not, maybe it's worth the extra $15/month to be able to ignore data use and get the better network?

(I was originally considering several other phones, but given that we both need one, a free Pixel 3 seems very hard to beat...)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheEye posted:

I posted a couple weeks ago, but I'll start again now with more info after additional research. Basically, my wife and I both need new phones. I'm coming from an iPhone 6 and she's coming from a Nexus 5X. I'm on a Verizon family plan with the rest of my family, and she's on Google Fi by herself.

• Country/Provider: US, Verizon & Google Fi
  • Budget (phone/plan): None in particular, we just don't want to pay more than is worthwhile for us. We expect to use only around 3GB/month total between the two of us.
  • Features I know I want: Not a huge size and a great camera.

It seems to me that it would make a lot of sense for us to take advantage of the buy one get one free Pixel 3 deal at either Verizon or Fi, since all we would need to do is move one of our lines to the other's plan. I have some concerns, though. If I move to Fi, we'll have a straightforward and cheap plan at around $65/month, but will no longer have the Verizon network available in areas where T-mobile+Sprint isn't sufficient (granted, we live in NYC, so it should only be a problem when traveling). On the other hand, if she moves to Verizon, we'd likely be on the $40/line unlimited plan, which is more expensive and excessive for our limited data use, while also "slowing traffic in times of congestion", whatever that actually means in practice.

What do you guys think? Is Fi coverage good enough vs. Verizon that we shouldn't be concerned? Is the Verizon traffic slowing actually noticeable? If not, maybe it's worth the extra $15/month to be able to ignore data use and get the better network?

(I was originally considering several other phones, but given that we both need one, a free Pixel 3 seems very hard to beat...)

Does anyone in the family qualify for a military discount? Verizon gives a decent discount for military.

That’s a hard one. I never get people complaining about network congestion throttling, but that’s in St. Louis, MO. NYC would be a good potential to have that issue. I would love to hear from someone living in NYC if they’ve noticed a difference being on a plan like that.

Fi is a good deal if you basically never use a lot of data, after that it doesn’t usually make it worth it. The coverage is just whether you’re willing to pay more for better coverage for when you travel.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm looking for a phone in the $500 or under range.

I've got a Nexus 6P that just isn't cutting it anymore... Battery barely lasts half a day, drains fast, and it shuts off at like 20%.

Even the Pixel 2 is a bit more than I'd like to spend.

How are the current crop of Moto phones? There's I many letters and variants I'm not entirely sure which is the 'high end' ones? It's just reverse alphabetical, right? E is the super budget, then G, then X, then Z?

But then there's more poo poo like Force and Play.

Basically wondering if the Z3 play is any good, or if the current Moto X (4?) Is a better deal? I see the Z3 Play only has a Snapdragon 636, so only a bit better than the X4, which I can get for like a hundred dollars less, and it's an Android One version...or go for the regular version, only 32 GB for even cheaper.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've got a Nexus 6P that just isn't cutting it anymore... Battery barely lasts half a day, drains fast, and it shuts off at like 20%.

Even the Pixel 2 is a bit more than I'd like to spend.

How are the current crop of Moto phones? There's I many letters and variants I'm not entirely sure which is the 'high end' ones? It's just reverse alphabetical, right? E is the super budget, then G, then X, then Z?

But then there's more poo poo like Force and Play.

Basically wondering if the Z3 play is any good, or if the current Moto X (4?) Is a better deal? I see the Z3 Play only has a Snapdragon 636, so only a bit better than the X4, which I can get for like a hundred dollars less, and it's an Android One version...or go for the regular version, only 32 GB for even cheaper.

You should buy an iPhone 7. They are selling for $450 now. Even though it is an older model, it will be faster & much more capable than any Motorola phone, unless you need a headphone jack, and will be supported for longer.

The Apple-designed computer chips in the iPhones blow Qualcomm's computer chips out of the water when it comes to performance--old Apple computer chips have better performance than new Qualcomm chips. The iPhone 7 does cost a little more than the Moto options you listed, but is still under your $500 budget.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 26, 2018

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

silence_kit posted:

You should buy an iPhone 7. They are selling for $450 now. Even though it is an older model, it will be faster & much more capable than any Motorola phone, unless you need a headphone jack, and will be supported for longer.

The Apple-designed computer chips in the iPhones blow Qualcomm's computer chips out of the water when it comes to performance--old Apple computer chips have better performance than new Qualcomm chips. The iPhone 7 does cost a little more than the Moto options you listed, but is still under your $500 budget.

Eh, I don't care for iPhones. I've had a a couple for both personal and work, and I just prefer Android, as long as it's not a crazy modified/skinned version like Samsung.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Regular pixel 2 is 350 (300 dollars off) at best buy right now, assuming you have verizon. I'm tempted, but I think I might wait until black friday to see if theres any good deals on the 3 or if the 2 drops even lower.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
  • Country/Provider: UK, no provider at the moment
  • Budget (phone/plan): low budget
  • Features I know I want: I've got an old iphone, want to use it as satnav, and to use for youtube on lunchbreaks

A relative gifted me an old iphone, I don't need to make many calls or send many texts but I want to be able to use the internet/youtube etc while i'm out on the road. I guess I want a sim-only PAYG thing? I'm literally a telephone idiot that people stare at when I ask if their phone has the 3g now

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I need a replacement for my Moto G3, and it looks like there are now a bunch of phones in this price segment, and somehow the reviews for all of them are pretty good?
Here's the options I found, along with the price on amazon

Moto G6 (4/64GB) - 240€
Nokia 6.1 (3/32GB) - 220€
Huawei Mate 10 lite (4/64GB) - 210€
Huawei P20 lite (4/64GB) - 260€
Honor 8X (4/64GB) - 250€
Xiaomi Mi A2 (6/128GB) - 250€

Are there any relevant up- or downsides for one of these?

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 29, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

cebrail posted:

Nokia 6.1 (3/32GB) - 220€

Are there any relevant up- or downsides for one of these?
Nokia 6.1 seems quite good for the price but the camera is a poo poo even compared to my old 2014 moto x. Not just the image quality, but the stock camera app just likes freeze/hang sometimes unless I turn off HDR and location tags.

Except for the camera and small storage, it feels like a flagship phone in my hands with great physical build quality.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I want to get my girlfriend a new(er) Android phone for her birthday. She's got some LG potato right now on Straight Talk. I'm cool with spending around $400-500 for a more modern phone but I don't really know anything about buying unlocked phones.

Can anyone recommend a phone and US retailer that I can use and just slap her Sim in there?

I would also like to buy her a warranty or insurance plan because she will break it.

LabDrunk40
Jun 17, 2005

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun..."

Both my parents are rocking 4-year old, first gen Moto Gs on Cricket, and I was hoping to get them both something more up to date when Black Friday rolled around. However, my Mom's tells me her phone just died on her so I have to start my research a little early.

Nokia 6.1 and Moto G6 are what I'm currently on the fence with, leaning towards the the G6 since the camera is better (so they can take pics of their toddler grandchildren). I also imagine that any Black Friday discounts on these phones won't be too deep (~10% or free offers) compared to those for 'flagships' of this or last generation.

I guess what I'm asking is if I should just get her a G6 in the near future so I can assist in the setup/transfer when I am home for Thanksgiving, or hold out for a Black Friday deal that might put something like an unlocked Pixel 2 (or similar) into the ~$300 price range. She said she can manage without a phone in the meantime (she's retired, and has a tablet & landline).

Also, in a similar vein, are there any downsides to the Prime Exclusive phones for casual users?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Whelp, I just put my month old nokia 6.1 through a full wash cycle. I hope it will come back on after drying out, but I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to glue the screen back on if it does.
Have a couple picks of the innards along with the bright pink water intrusion indicators:

I guess they weren't kidding when talking about having a machined body.

update:It's working again!... except for the cellular radio :(

So I guess I'm in the market for a new phone again... which I guess will be another 6.1

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 1, 2018

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Country/Provider: Canada (NS), none yet
Current contract status: BYOD
Budget (phone/plan): Probably no more than $80/month
Features I know I want: at least 4GB/month LTE, US texting, US data roaming (would rather do easyroam/roam like home than buying an addon with not much data), maybe US calling.

Koodo seems to be the best option. Are there any deals to be had or do I have to wait and get lucky?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm in a similar situation for my wife. The x4 is $360 for the 64GB model. It's probably at the top of what we want to spend but it looks good to me. Is there any reason not to buy it?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Harveygod posted:

I'm in a similar situation for my wife. The x4 is $360 for the 64GB model. It's probably at the top of what we want to spend but it looks good to me. Is there any reason not to buy it?

I don't know much about the x4 but right now its 200 on amazon. Its the amazon version tho, so it might have a little extra software on it that you cant uninstall or something.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Harveygod posted:

I wouldn't buy an X4 right now. Are Nokias on the table? 6.1 would be sufficient, and if you really want to pinny pinch the Honor 7x is an outstanding value. The 8x will also be available soon.

Recently X4 has cost the exact same as the G5+ or G6.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Country/Provider: US (New York State), none yet
Budget (phone/plan): As cheap as humanly possible
Features I know I want: To very rarely receive and rarely place a phone call.

My kid is getting old enough that them staying home alone for more than brief periods is starting to be a thing, and my wife wants to have a phone in the house for them to use should the need arise. Target sells "pre-paid" cell phones for like $30, but I don't see any info on how it actually works in practice. Is this a working cell phone with X minutes of calls, or are there contracts / plans? Are phones that just have no contract and X minutes of call time until it runs out a thing?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Twerk from Home posted:

I wouldn't buy an X4 right now. Are Nokias on the table? 6.1 would be sufficient, and if you really want to pinny pinch the Honor 7x is an outstanding value. The 8x will also be available soon.

Recently X4 has cost the exact same as the G5+ or G6.

Nokia 6.1 was another option I looked at. The only reservation is I read (including this page) that the camera wasn't as good as the G6. The Nokia 7.1 looks like it would be still in my range, though, if they've improved the camera.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

My kid is getting old enough that them staying home alone for more than brief periods is starting to be a thing, and my wife wants to have a phone in the house for them to use should the need arise. Target sells "pre-paid" cell phones for like $30, but I don't see any info on how it actually works in practice. Is this a working cell phone with X minutes of calls, or are there contracts / plans? Are phones that just have no contract and X minutes of call time until it runs out a thing?

It could be. Only question :

do you have a family plan you can add him to? (If so which one?)

There’s one of two ways: buy cheap flip phone on a prepaid minutes plan. The only thing you want to verify is how long until minutes expire. It used to be that $0.10 a minute plans with $100 down to last a year were common. Not sure if they’re still offered, but that is likely the best match for what you are looking for there.

The other way is add a flip phone to your family plan , likely for $20-30 a month. The upside there is unlimited calling.

Really, what you’re asking about is home phone service, so that could also be an option beyond that a home phone can’t be taken outside the house.

You could also do work arounds like google voice to a WiFi only smartphone, or other VOIP solutions. I think magic jack is still a thing.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

It could be. Only question :

do you have a family plan you can add him to? (If so which one?)

There’s one of two ways: buy cheap flip phone on a prepaid minutes plan. The only thing you want to verify is how long until minutes expire. It used to be that $0.10 a minute plans with $100 down to last a year were common. Not sure if they’re still offered, but that is likely the best match for what you are looking for there.

The other way is add a flip phone to your family plan , likely for $20-30 a month. The upside there is unlimited calling.

Really, what you’re asking about is home phone service, so that could also be an option beyond that a home phone can’t be taken outside the house.

You could also do work arounds like google voice to a WiFi only smartphone, or other VOIP solutions. I think magic jack is still a thing.

We do not have a family plan. And yeah, I do basically want what amounts to a home phone, but since the number of calls a month will be effectively zero, I was thinking that the $0.10 /minute pre paid type of thing would work as a $20 credit would last a year at least.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lumpy posted:

Ting. You pay like $8/month and for whatever minutes are used. My dad regularly spends like $12/month.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
So I was using a moto G5 + on cricket but it’s no longer able to be charged. What is the favorite budget cricket option?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Xeras posted:

So I was using a moto G5 + on cricket but it’s no longer able to be charged. What is the favorite budget cricket option?

Nokia 6.1, 7.1, Moto g6, honor 7x. All are fine, pick your poison. The g6 is kinda worse than the G5+ in a few ways.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Looking for a plan recommendation.
Country/Provider: USA
Current contract status: None
Budget (phone/plan):Plan cost as low as I can go. Unlocked Moto X4 I would like to use.
Features I know I want: I talk around 600 minutes and text regularly. Would like 2-3 GB of data a month.

Currently on parents plan and need to get off. Been looking at T-mobile, and was not sure if any other small carriers also have decent plans.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
TMobile prepaid, Verizon prepaid, Cricket, Straight Talk, maybe Virgin if you can stomach Sprint service.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Project Fi might not be a bad way to go with your amount of data usage.

$20 dollars unlimited calls/text (plus free international), and data is 10 dollars/GB. No contract!

Use my referral code if interested! https://g.co/fi/r/A86419

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

Project Fi might not be a bad way to go with your amount of data usage.

$20 dollars unlimited calls/text (plus free international), and data is 10 dollars/GB. No contract!

Use my referral code if interested! https://g.co/fi/r/A86419

Oh there's a grand idea. Anyone know if a Nexus 4 will work? It's not on the approved devices list but it claims to be compatible with the right spectrum bands according to a random website. Their chat support says you don't get billed until activated, I assume activation happens over their cellular network and not wifi. https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/nMSWe/google-nexus-4-lg-e960/google-project-fi-united-states I don't need LTE, I assume Google Fi doesn't either.

I have a need for a temporary phone which can do voice, texting, and minimal data while not on wifi. (Just enough to keep gmail sync'd, maybe send a picture text.) Needs to work nationwide, and I don't know which states ahead of time outside of California. No idea on call or text volume, but it's only going to be between a handful of people so it can't be enormous. We would use it for a few months then likely turn it off.

I was looking at burner plans and it seems Wal-Mart has one that's $25/month, unlimited talk/text/1gb data, and outside of feeling gross about wal-mart that seems like about the cheapest way to go when I have no way to predict my call volume ahead of time. Past that ATT/T-Mobile seem to have some ~$30/month plans that are similar. Anything I'm missing there?

(Yes it's totally for :2bong: . It's not.)