Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Kill myself? Seems a bit extreme but why not.
Assumed he meant your marriage.
But really, that KB is fried. Just get a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's just my lame attempt at avoiding agreeing with him. I'm surprised how bad this non mechanical Dell feels to type on, I remember it being great.

I think I'll just save up for an Alps board so I can feel oneness with cup rubber.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 28, 2016

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Bad news for everyone waiting on EK to restock 55g topre in black, the shipment is delayed until February.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
So I finally bought a MasterKeys Pro L on recommendation of this thread. Love it, but having an issue.

Randomly, the keyboard will just light up one horizontal row of LEDs, turn off every other LED, and then become non-responsive until I turn it off and back on. Kind of a huge issue because it's happening during games, where you can imagine having your keyboard suddenly stop working is a problem. Sometimes goes for hours before it happens, sometimes 20 minutes.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on? Haven't damaged it or spilled anything on it. Tried multiple USB ports and such.

I bought it close enough to Christmas that Amazon has returns/exchanges on it until Jan 31, so if I have to I'll just exchange it with them.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

So I finally bought a MasterKeys Pro L on recommendation of this thread. Love it, but having an issue.

Randomly, the keyboard will just light up one horizontal row of LEDs, turn off every other LED, and then become non-responsive until I turn it off and back on. Kind of a huge issue because it's happening during games, where you can imagine having your keyboard suddenly stop working is a problem. Sometimes goes for hours before it happens, sometimes 20 minutes.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on? Haven't damaged it or spilled anything on it. Tried multiple USB ports and such.

I bought it close enough to Christmas that Amazon has returns/exchanges on it until Jan 31, so if I have to I'll just exchange it with them.

Sounds like a controller or main board issue, contact coolermaster.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Coolermaster stealth/quickfire are good right? Need a keyboard for gaming/typing around that price point.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm very content with mine, only that the stealth legends on the front is kinda dumb and the font fuckin sucks.. Compared to my CODE or WASD, as good or better build quality

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I'd rate CODE/WASDv2s above CMs in build quality in my limited experience, but CMs are really solid.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can anyone clue me in on what the point of these 60% keyboards is? I can understand the ten-less, but scrapping the arrow keys, INS, END, etc blah blah, plus moving the function keys behind a key combo, it seems to me these things are mostly for novelty and showing off instead of anything productive or gaming.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Can anyone clue me in on what the point of these 60% keyboards is? I can understand the ten-less, but scrapping the arrow keys, INS, END, etc blah blah, plus moving the function keys behind a key combo, it seems to me these things are mostly for novelty and showing off instead of anything productive or gaming.

You can memorize any layout if you use it enough, and some folks just like to go ultra minimalistic; there's even 40% layouts. Personally I have a few but they're mostly for secondary/tertiary machines where I want an inexpensive mechanical but I don't want to take up the desk space for even TKL.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

I use one. Now that I've gotten used to it I'm a heck of a lot faster working on anything development related because I never have to move my hands from the home row. But ya also it looks cool and annoys anyone else that tries to use my computer. Not for everyone I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Combat Pretzel posted:

Mostly that you don't have to reach as far to operate the mouse while still having the keyboard centered in front of you. If you're operating your keyboard/mouse all day it's a noticeable comfort improvement. Personally I tried it out for a little while and decided I like my function keys and such a little bit too much, notwithstanding that while blue switches are nice enough there's nothing to match God's Own Keyboard, which only comes ten-keyed. But I get what people like about the mini layouts, both with general minimalism and with comfort.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I use a 65% for gaming and like the form factor. Keeps it in a more comfortable position for me while I can use a large mousemat. Have layers set up for function row and numpad, and don't need any more than that right now. Clear switches with DSA keycaps and its super comfy to type on as well.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao your girlfriend asked me the same question, but about your 60% dick size

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

It puts the mouse at more natural, central position, no need to move hands from home row, especially for arrow keys, and most importantly, CHEAPER CAP SETS

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Any suggestions for a full-size tenkey having keyboard that is as narrow as possible, with tactile but not clicky switches,and preferably backlit? I have been using my TKL topre at work and love it, but an old Razer cherry blue thing at home, and it's just too honking big. I like having tenkeys at home because that's where I do all the budgeting.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
WASD CODE with clears.

-Backlit
-Quiet
-Small
-Full Size

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Finally found my dream keyboard and it shows up on Wednesday.

Leopold FC980C
- 45g uniform topre
- PBT caps
- Has a numpad

Cannot wait

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SpartanIV posted:

WASD CODE with clears.

-Backlit
-Quiet
-Small
-Full Size

What about a G610 with browns? Seems $50 cheaper and even has some clean media keys without adding size, which would be nice for controlling that.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ShaneB posted:

What about a G610 with browns? Seems $50 cheaper and even has some clean media keys without adding size, which would be nice for controlling that.

The G610 is slightly larger just on the height and depth. The code also has media keys via the function key which are super easy to use without adding any extra keys.

The $50 savings though is a definite option. I love my code with clears though!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The G610 is slightly larger just on the height and depth. The code also has media keys via the function key which are super easy to use without adding any extra keys.

The $50 savings though is a definite option. I love my code with clears though!

What sucks is that I measured and looked at my Razer (hey, it was free) and it's only larger on the left side for the macro keys. My mouse won't really move any closer to the main typing area, which is kind of my goal. :( The drawbacks of full-size!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Walked posted:

Finally found my dream keyboard and it shows up on Wednesday.

Leopold FC980C
- 45g uniform topre
- PBT caps
- Has a numpad

Cannot wait

looks very sexy. nice.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

mike12345 posted:

looks very sexy. nice.

Just got it.

God drat.

Topre is the real fuckin deal guys

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Got a Rosewill keyboard with reds for Christmas and I'm really digging it for home use. Now I've got the 55g Topre keyboard for typing and the Cherry MX Reds for gaming, hooray :v:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
So you have 2 keyboards on your desk? How does that work?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

qsvui posted:

So you have 2 keyboards on your desk? How does that work?

The Topre one's at work, actually, because that's where I do most of my actual typing.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i want to look at sick rgb lights while im sitting at my desk at work. what keyboard will give me the most sick lights for my buck? blackwidow?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Thom and the Heads posted:

i want to look at sick rgb lights while im sitting at my desk at work. what keyboard will give me the most sick lights for my buck? blackwidow?

Optimus; every key an OLED screen.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

leper khan posted:

Optimus; every key an OLED screen.

preferably one that costs less than a really lovely used car

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thom and the Heads posted:

preferably one that costs less than a really lovely used car

Apparently I have low standards for lovely used cars.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
There a plenty of yum cha OEM brands with RGB keyboards that satisfy the most rainbow per dollar requirement.

Probably not any worse than the fake switches used in the big brands now, either.

First one I found in a cursory search: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...5e-07f70924c193

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

~Coxy posted:

There a plenty of yum cha OEM brands with RGB keyboards that satisfy the most rainbow per dollar requirement.

Probably not any worse than the fake switches used in the big brands now, either.

First one I found in a cursory search: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...5e-07f70924c193

gently caress yeah now we;re talking

these lights are gonna be so sick ty

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'm having a really odd problem with my keyboard.

I recently got a KBParadise V6000 (according to the back of the keyboard, on Massdrop it was a V60) from my brother. I think that it has Gateron browns, but I'm not sure (the code on the back is V60GTR-W, and googling hasn't really helped me figure out which specific linear switch it is).

It worked just fine for the first ~week, but seemingly out of nowhere all the letter keys in the top row except for Y and U stopped working. I haven't changed the function switches on the back, and as far as I can tell it doesn't look like there's an option that does this. Does anyone have suggestions for troubleshooting steps/things I could do to get a better idea of what the problem is? Also, if there's other info that'd be helpful please let me know, I basically have no idea what I'm doing.

Otherwise, I think my brother has the info from Massdrop and I can try contacting them about getting a replacement/help, but they're awfully slow and it'd be great if it was fixable some other way.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I've decided not to keep my White Fox keyboards.

I have an assembled 67g Zealios of the first batch in Aria, and a Gateron Clear (30g) second batch White Fox in The True Fox layouts. Neither batch sold Zealios assembled on offer. For the Zealios, I want $320 USD (regular PayPal w/ 4.8% or Gift), shipping additional from NZ. And for the second one $250. Here are some pictures of the Zealios, http://imgur.com/a/LLH5r

PM me if you're interested, or hmu on twitter @shmups

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Megalixir posted:

I've decided not to keep my White Fox keyboards.

I have an assembled 67g Zealios of the first batch in Aria, and a Gateron Clear (30g) second batch White Fox in The True Fox layouts. Neither batch sold Zealios assembled on offer. For the Zealios, I want $320 USD (regular PayPal w/ 4.8% or Gift), shipping additional from NZ. And for the second one $250. Here are some pictures of the Zealios, http://imgur.com/a/LLH5r

PM me if you're interested, or hmu on twitter @shmups

So you're trading up for a realforce?

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

For those interested in small boards, mechanicalkeyboards.com is now selling the new Vortex Core, their 40% layout board in the usual Cherry flavors. They had been taking pre-orders expecting to ship January 24th but I guess they got their stock in early because mine shipped today! I went with MX black because uhhhhh I don't have a board with blacks yet.

This will be a cathartic ending to a very long and drawn out saga with ctrlalt.io over a custom JD40 that I paid for but never received.

Incidentally, I got super board with the keycaps on my office keyboard, so I mixed it up a bit while I wait on delivery of the Grand Chocolatier SA set from massdrop. Yes, it's hideous; yes, I love it.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

leper khan posted:

So you're trading up for a realforce?

I already have a Realforce, and a HHKB for that matter, I just don't plan on keeping these. If only I could find something between 45g Type-S and Cherry MX Red for gaming...

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
They make 35g domes that are topre compatible.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Geology posted:

This will be a cathartic ending to a very long and drawn out saga with ctrlalt.io over a custom JD40 that I paid for but never received.

Those assholes never did fix my SA retro set either. It's not worth doing business with those amateurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

ColHannibal posted:

They make 35g domes that are topre compatible.

That's not what I want though. I have a 30g silenced Realforce 10th anniversary and it's far too light for gaming. Reds are fine though, 45g Topre is... doable but I prefer linear. Honestly at this point I think MX Browns, which is what I originally used for 6 years, are still a good middle ground.

• Locked thread