Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
My shift started 6:30 am today. I puked at work about 9:00 am. After I puked, I slowly started to feel better. I would have gone home, but i had to write an order among other things. Sad part is, I didn't drink any alcohol or partied at all, I went to bed fairly early to get a good night's rest. I still ended up sick :zombie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
I recently transferred from a backwoods Walmart to a medium city Sam's Club. The difference is amazing. The store manager actually helps on the front end, and will revoke membership if someone mistreats his staff. We're also closed Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Easter Sunday, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving. I've never heard of a corporate store in the US doing that.

Plus the base pay is so much higher that even switching from overnights and stepping down to cashier I gained pay.

And there's next to zero meth in this city, and I've only seen one member who was obviously strung out.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Hell, I just moved from WM to the Sam's Club next door, got a raise while going down 2 pay grades, AND the store management team actually understands that they need to be responsible for the proper operation of the store, which means helping out on the front end and on the sales floor when necessary. I think it's more of a "culture" difference between the two halves of the company. My Sam's Club reminds me of how Wal-Mart used to operate ~12-14 years ago, before they went crazy cutting everything down to the bone expense wise.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
My boss told me to my face today that the promotion he's been dangling in front of me for the last 10 months isn't going to happen.

Then later I got to listen to him talking to the girl he hired last week about how he was going to train her to do the job he's been telling me I'd get.

Welp, guess I'm in not-giving-a-poo poo-mode now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WarLocke posted:

My boss told me to my face today that the promotion he's been dangling in front of me for the last 10 months isn't going to happen.

Then later I got to listen to him talking to the girl he hired last week about how he was going to train her to do the job he's been telling me I'd get.

Welp, guess I'm in not-giving-a-poo poo-mode now.

Time to line up another job and quit.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I've worked for the same small retail business for the past eight years. I'm talking five people on the payroll at times between two small stores. Four years ago, I was promoted to assistant manager when the dude that had run the place at the time decided to go back to school. Two years after that he was gone, and I split the operation of the store with another manager whom I had trained to run the store in it's entirety, just like I had been doing. Around this time, the owner started totally losing it. He would flip out about inconsequential bullshit while ignoring serious problems, run his mouth about the employees to the others behind their back, routinely throw temper tantrums, became paranoid about customers possibly having ulterior motives when looking around or asking questions, started spouting the most insane racist conspiracy theories, would make up new rules and procedures for things like How to Flush the Toilet and Throwing Trash Away every goddamn day, and in general just loving up every aspect of his own business, the way I ran it, and pissing me off every moment of my day. I would even get phone calls early in the mornings on most of my days off, and even if I didn't answer, just the voicemails this fucker would leave, the condescending tone he would describe an issue he was having as though it was always something that I had hosed up that he was now having to take care of, and even though I wasn't working that day I had better call him back immediately would just RUIN my loving day. He just turned into this incredibly disrespectful rear end in a top hat and lost every bit of loyalty or respect I had for him. In the last year he has driven away every single employee (including the other manager) except for his own brother, and had to hire all new people and have me train them. Already they all hate his rear end and are looking for other jobs.

At the end of October, I told him I would work up through the end of December, and that after that I was quitting to go back to school full time. To my knowledge he never lifted a finger to find a replacement. I've saved up enough money to live comfortably for the next few years while I do this, and am already looking into what companies offer internships around the city in my chosen field for when I've got enough credits behind me. I do not know how things are going back there, and I do not care. gently caress that guy.

I haven't been this content in years. HAVE FAITH GOONS.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Kind Milkman posted:

I recently transferred from a backwoods Walmart to a medium city Sam's Club. The difference is amazing. The store manager actually helps on the front end, and will revoke membership if someone mistreats his staff. We're also closed Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Easter Sunday, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving. I've never heard of a corporate store in the US doing that.

Plus the base pay is so much higher that even switching from overnights and stepping down to cashier I gained pay.

And there's next to zero meth in this city, and I've only seen one member who was obviously strung out.

Costco been doing that for years, and we get MLK day and Fourth of July too :smug:

But congratulations on leaving Wal Mart. The warehouse environment is a lot better from what I can tell, plus the pay and benefits makes it just a much better job.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 6, 2015

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
So I'm not in retail (I've escaped), but I do deal with the idiot public frequently. It's a touristy place in the Philly area, but I'm amazed how having a halfway nice manager is. I wanted to visit as a guest tomorrow, but I'm an idiot so when I scheduled out the month I forgot that the online calendar goes Monday-Sunday, not Sunday-Saturday like every other American calendar ever. I just emailed my boss and explained the situation and ten minutes later I get a reply that boils down to "Go ahead, we're overstaffed anyway! I'll see you tomorrow XOXOXO - Your Boss".

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I feel bad for the people who worked at Wet Seal locations that just got closed without warning....

gently caress you, Wet Seal.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

:suicide:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

only us, the ubermenschen, can possibly keep floors reasonably clean at all times

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Today a customer got angry at me because I wouldn't give her an item half price for literally no reason other than because she wanted me to. I told her how she could download coupons onto her phone (and she did have one), but that somehow made her angrier.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
You expected her to WORK for a discount? THE INDIGNITY OF IT ALL!

I'm of the opinion that people who ask for discounts are rarely entitled to them, especially if they get upset when a discount isn't handed to them just for walking in the door.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Faerunner posted:

You expected her to WORK for a discount? THE INDIGNITY OF IT ALL!

I'm of the opinion that people who ask for discounts are rarely entitled to them, especially if they get upset when a discount isn't handed to them just for walking in the door.

Apparently it sometimes works. First ~15 minutes of this episode of This American Life is all about people who just ask for a discount because they claim to be a "good guy".

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

How do you guys deal with leg pain? I've been taking more hours and working longer days for the past month now, but I'm still not used to the pain that comes from an 8 hour shift. A good night's sleep doesn't seem to make it better either, as I wake up with legs that are just as sore and stiff as when I went to bed.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nessa posted:

How do you guys deal with leg pain? I've been taking more hours and working longer days for the past month now, but I'm still not used to the pain that comes from an 8 hour shift. A good night's sleep doesn't seem to make it better either, as I wake up with legs that are just as sore and stiff as when I went to bed.

Work out more

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker

Nessa posted:

Soak your legs in a bath as hot as you can possibly stand.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

Work out more

This is the truth. It sucks to do squats and then work the next day or two, but building up leg muscles will help. You'll be stronger and take longer to fatigue.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Nessa posted:

I paid for some good shoes. They were pricy but they made a good bit of difference. You can try that for an immediate solution while you work on the ones suggested above.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Nessa posted:

Stretch a ton. When I first started working I didn't bother, but it makes a world of difference. It might take a solid 20 minutes to do it really well, but it's extremely worth it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Buy good shoes, stretch, start working out, anti inflammatory painkillers for when it's really bad.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nessa posted:

Get a good pair of insoles for your shoes

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Also, dehumanize yourself and face to retail

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Lose some weight.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nessa posted:

Get good shoes and don't skip leg day.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

17,000+ Canadian retail workers have a great reason to get out of retail. Target announced yesterday they will be closing all 133 Canadian locations by summer.

Pretty sure those stores will all just turn into additional Walmarts.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Went into my old McDonalds today with my new place's uniform on, and asked for my last paycheck. Gave them the uniforms, got the check, and then the same store manager that did all that bullshit before asked me why I didn't just talk to him, and get it all figured out. At this point I wasn't even angry and just said "You treated me really poorly, and whenever I called you on it, you just got mad. I'm completely uninterested in that, and I can get 8.50 an hour in a lot of places. That's why."

He then asked me if I planned on doing this at all my jobs, scolded me for burning bridges, and then told me he never wanted to see my face again. I said "alright, see ya", and he stormed off. It doesn't feel like a win, but that's just because i'm not playing his game anymore, and that feels way better than a win ever could.

New place kicks rear end by the way. Food actually tastes good, and since it's not a completely faceless corporate entity like Mcdonalds I actually don't mind repping the food. Now, when customers ask me what I recommend, I actually have a genuine answer that isn't "Nothing. It's all bad." Also, since it's a "fast casual" restaurant, there are sometimes 15-20 minute long periods where no customers come in, and I can actually do all the chores I want to do to make the place look nice. That's counterbalanced by the fact that things can get real hosed sometimes, but i'll take that over it being predictably lovely every single day.

Not even going to say what place I actually work at because I half give a poo poo about the brand, which is a weird feeling. I hope this lasts, and doesn't end up being some cult-like mentality that I just haven't cottoned on to yet.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

klapman posted:

Went into my old McDonalds today with my new place's uniform on, and asked for my last paycheck. Gave them the uniforms, got the check, and then the same store manager that did all that bullshit before asked me why I didn't just talk to him, and get it all figured out. At this point I wasn't even angry and just said "You treated me really poorly, and whenever I called you on it, you just got mad. I'm completely uninterested in that, and I can get 8.50 an hour in a lot of places. That's why."

He then asked me if I planned on doing this at all my jobs, scolded me for burning bridges, and then told me he never wanted to see my face again. I said "alright, see ya", and he stormed off. It doesn't feel like a win, but that's just because i'm not playing his game anymore, and that feels way better than a win ever could.

Burning bridges at McD's? A job with an average turnover of about 21 days? Yeah, nobody cares.

Hell, just putting that you made it there for more than a month or two on your resume shows you can handle pretty much anything any employer can throw at you. Most big box retail and fast food restaurant jobs are this way...at the very least, it shows you have people skills and can take a lot of crap. If you do that, you can be trained to handle anything else.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, congrats on burning that bridge. Add some napalm to it next time you're in (or just never show your face there again).

I hope the shiny-new-job feeling lasts for you. There's nothing better than when you're new somewhere and everything about the job looks so much more tolerable than your last job.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Man, that's about as cynical and calculating as emotional manipulation gets, and the ego on him to boot. I mean, think about it: what does castigating you for "burning your bridges" and all that poo poo actually accomplish? Does it make you want to work at McDonald's ever again? Does it make you inclined to help out for a one-off emergency? Does it save the company money or otherwise do anything for the company at all? No. It's just a way to try and make you feel bad, the only purpose of which can be to soothe his ego (which is damaged because you left, which is a personal insult to him, because again, he's an egomaniac).

Once again, good for you for standing up for yourself. The best feeling in the world is the freedom you feel from taking yourself out from under the thumb of someone like that.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I guess I may have to bite the bullet and invest in some better shoes. My current shoes are pretty scuffed up at this point. I've got 7 months left of working retail and I was not planning on spending any money, so all of it could go towards school. I suppose one good pair of shoes will make those 7 months more bearable.

Irish Joe posted:

Lose some weight.

I'm afraid it would be quite unhealthy for me to lose any weight, as I am slightly underweight already.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

17,000+ Canadian retail workers have a great reason to get out of retail. Target announced yesterday they will be closing all 133 Canadian locations by summer.

Pretty sure those stores will all just turn into additional Walmarts.

Yeah, it's a real shame the Targets are closing down. My city already has way too many Walmarts. Add Target on top of Jacob, Mexx, Smart Set, and now the Sony stores and that's a lot of retail locations in Canada shutting down.

The mall that my store is in is in a pretty bad place right now. Our old location has been empty for a year and a half now and now there are two more large stores shut down. The rent is so high that no one wants to open a store there and traffic has been down since a new mall along the train line opened up a few years back. It's a super nice mall too. They have fancy bathrooms and a concierge. All our mall has is a dying theatre and a pub where the waitresses wear kilts. The busiest store in the mall by far is the Dollarama.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

klapman posted:

Tell him to go gently caress himself sideways. You're a potentially paying customer now that he's saying he never wants to see again. And you know how to work the system, so to speak. Get on the horn to corporate and the next time you see him he'll be falling all over himself to give you a blowjob (not literally. I hope.)

In other news, I had a lady get all pissy with me over the phone today. Why, you ask? She asked if we had any Seattle Seahawks gear in our store and I told her no. When she got all snotty and asked "Well, why the hell not?" I was stunned and all I could stammer out after about five seconds was.... "because this is Wisconsin??" before she hung up on me.

Seriously. You're in a state where the Green Bay Packers are almost a religion and you wonder WHY we don't have merchandise of the opponent we're playing tomorrow for a chance to go to the Super Bowl? How dense are you? (that's rhetorical)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Retail Slave posted:

Tell him to go gently caress himself sideways. You're a potentially paying customer now that he's saying he never wants to see again. And you know how to work the system, so to speak. Get on the horn to corporate and the next time you see him he'll be falling all over himself to give you a blowjob (not literally. I hope.)

You want someone to be That Customer intentionally?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

PCOS Bill posted:

You want someone to be That Customer intentionally?

Not all the time, no, but just once, and only because the manager is a dickhead.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I'm leaving retail! Been doing furniture sales for three years now. As far as retail fires it was pretty good. Decent pay, and not as demanding as other retail jobs. But dealing with customers and working every single weekend was draining me hard.

Now I'll have a weekday job in an office. Then I get to post in the bad corporate stories thread.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Nessa posted:

I'm afraid it would be quite unhealthy for me to lose any weight, as I am slightly underweight already.

If you don't have much muscle mass, this is probably causing you issues with pain as your muscles are working too hard. Try lifting some heavy things, it will be good for you. You don't need a gym membership, check out Brain Over Brawn. It's a free e-book written by a goon.

freypies
Jan 6, 2014
The meat at my store is so loving gross. It consistently smells awful and we have to clean the checkstands pretty much every time chicken touches the belt. We had some ribs come down yesterday and they smelled so bad the cashier had to leave to go throw up. No one seems to care either! I talked to my manager and the meat department guys about it and all I get are shrugs.

Not to mention all the other bad food; I pulled half our sourdough last week because it was mouldy and I would never let a customer leave with any berries without checking them first for the same reason.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

freypies posted:

The meat at my store is so loving gross. It consistently smells awful and we have to clean the checkstands pretty much every time chicken touches the belt. We had some ribs come down yesterday and they smelled so bad the cashier had to leave to go throw up. No one seems to care either! I talked to my manager and the meat department guys about it and all I get are shrugs.

Not to mention all the other bad food; I pulled half our sourdough last week because it was mouldy and I would never let a customer leave with any berries without checking them first for the same reason.

If it's that bad have you considered submitting an anonymous complaint to the health department?

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
I know it's retail but I don't really understand how at the ground level you can take so little pride in your work, or just be such a crappy human being, that you'd not give a gently caress about selling obviously rotten food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Pornographic Memory posted:

I know it's retail but I don't really understand how at the ground level you can take so little pride in your work, or just be such a crappy human being, that you'd not give a gently caress about selling obviously rotten food.

You ever heard the adage 'you get what you pay for'? Well when you pay people poo poo wages why would you expect them to give a wet fart about their job?