Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Guilty posted:

There was a website that gave a lot of freeware programs for people who just got new computers and you could download them all in a bundle, anyone know what I'm talking about, where I could find it?

https://www.ninite.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Awesome thanks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ZeeBoi posted:

What's the website for the comic where characters are drawn something like this:

http://anarchyanarchyanarchy.net/

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

On the Little Feat album "Chinese Work Songs," who's the female vocalist? She does leads on Bed of Roses and a lot of backups on Just Another Sunday at least. The entry on Allmusic doesn't list the full personnel, and the Wikipedia article lists regular band members (all men), and a few guest musicians (also all men).

It's not Lowell George so who loving cares? (my friend says it's Shaun Murphy).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I have over 200 PDF files that need editing. I just want to add pages to them.

Does anyone know an easily solution for this?

Apologies if loonix isn't an option but ubuntu has a couple of free basic pdf editors, pdf edit and pdf chain. They're ugly as sin (designed by engineers) but they're free and do simple poo poo like add/remove/reorder pages pretty easily.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

Apologies if loonix isn't an option but ubuntu has a couple of free basic pdf editors, pdf edit and pdf chain. They're ugly as sin (designed by engineers) but they're free and do simple poo poo like add/remove/reorder pages pretty easily.

PDF TK Builder is also good and works on Windows. If you have 200 PDFs you can probably script something with PDF TK itself to do it all automatically if there's a common pattern to what you want to do.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
I haven't flown in over 12 years, and I have a really uneducated question:

I accidentally deleted the confirmation e-mails that Southwest sent me about my tickets to and from my destination. Will I be able to go to the counter with just the confirmation numbers and my ID and get my boarding pass printed out, or do I need to do anything else?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Haven't flown on southwest in a while, but that's usually all you need for flying.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Southwest has computerized self check-in terminals at the airport. You just have to swipe your ID or credit card and it'll pull up all your flight information.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

http://anarchyanarchyanarchy.net/

Merci. :)

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005

Xandu posted:

Haven't flown on southwest in a while, but that's usually all you need for flying.

Thanks.

As a follow up, I still have about a week before my flight out. Will they send me another e-mail that I print out, or was the "thanks for buying your ticket" e-mail I got a couple of weeks ago the last one I'm going to get?

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

GenericOverusedName posted:

Kind of an odd one, but can anybody tell me what genre/type of book I'm thinking of? They had a simple plot to them, and it was completely linear, but each page had a bunch of stuff to do on it. "The evil wizard trapped you can you find all 7 keys to escape?" type stuff. Find the path through the Canyons of Woe! They were really beautifully illustrated for the most part. A glorified Where's Waldo, but I really enjoyed those books as a kid.

I remember one book in particular, it had 3 separate stories in it. One was about fighting a dragon I think, the other had a wizard that could shapeshift? Last one was something about aliens?

I think my little brother would absolutely love something like those for Christmas, but I don't even know where to start when it comes to finding one.

I'm not sure if there is a specific genre name for these, but Hans Jürgen Press comes to mind but his wiki only lists his Black Hand Gang adventures:

quote:

Hans Jürgen Press (1926–2002) was a German illustrator and writer of children's books. Many of his books contain stories and puzzles in which the reader searches the illustrations for clues to the mystery.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Giant Squid posted:

Thanks.

As a follow up, I still have about a week before my flight out. Will they send me another e-mail that I print out, or was the "thanks for buying your ticket" e-mail I got a couple of weeks ago the last one I'm going to get?

I seem to recall getting a "Your trip is coming soon!" email last time I flew SW, but I suppose that could have been from another airline.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Kind of an odd one, but can anybody tell me what genre/type of book I'm thinking of? They had a simple plot to them, and it was completely linear, but each page had a bunch of stuff to do on it. "The evil wizard trapped you can you find all 7 keys to escape?" type stuff. Find the path through the Canyons of Woe! They were really beautifully illustrated for the most part. A glorified Where's Waldo, but I really enjoyed those books as a kid.

I remember one book in particular, it had 3 separate stories in it. One was about fighting a dragon I think, the other had a wizard that could shapeshift? Last one was something about aliens?

I think my little brother would absolutely love something like those for Christmas, but I don't even know where to start when it comes to finding one.

Sounds like Graeme Base to me. Probably best known for Animalia.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Very Strange Things posted:

It's not Lowell George so who loving cares? (my friend says it's Shaun Murphy).

Sure enough, Shaun's a lady. Thanks for the confirmation. (rip lowell)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Giant Squid posted:

Thanks.

I haven't flown them in a while but I don't recall another email being sent out.

Protip: As close to <= 24 hours of your flight you can get find a computer with a printer and check in online. That will put you as close to the front of the, cattle herding, seat selection process as possible. I heard if you don't have a printer and you check in online when you check in at the kiosk it will retain your "position" but I have never verified that.

Ohh and make sure you bring some duct tape and zip strips in case you need to do some in flight repairs! (just kidding they aren't as bad as they get a rep for)

E: Oh yea, also even if you forget to check in online right at 23:59hours before flight time doing so a few hours before will still put you in front of the average kiosk check in person.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 23, 2011

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
What's the 3-D version of "360-degree movement?". As in a floating, stationary object that can turn in any direction. Something along the lines of "full rotation along any axis", but more concise. Most people would take "360-degree movement" to basically mean that already, but I have a feeling there's a better term and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hoops posted:

What's the 3-D version of "360-degree movement?". As in a floating, stationary object that can turn in any direction. Something along the lines of "full rotation along any axis", but more concise. Most people would take "360-degree movement" to basically mean that already, but I have a feeling there's a better term and I can't quite put my finger on it.

6 degrees of freedom? That's what the game Descent called it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Full range of motion, 6 degrees of freedom (6DOF), sometimes "spaceship controls" or "airplane controls" but those don't have the lateral Y axis free so it's a bad term. There's so few games that have it, that nobody really came up with a single term to classify them.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

There's so few games that have it, that nobody really came up with a single term to classify them.
It isn't anything to do with games actually haha, it's for my PhD proposal. I don't like "6 degrees of freedom", I think I'm gonna go with "complete spatial orientation".

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Hoops posted:

It isn't anything to do with games actually haha, it's for my PhD proposal. I don't like "6 degrees of freedom", I think I'm gonna go with "complete spatial orientation".

I don't know your local academic standards, but at least here in Finland it's considered good form to be as unambiguous as possible. Complete spatial orientation by itself really says nothing at all to me. So unless it's something that becomes clear in its context, I'd try to squeeze in "full rotation along any axis".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jerome Agricola posted:

I don't know your local academic standards, but at least here in Finland it's considered good form to be as unambiguous as possible. Complete spatial orientation by itself really says nothing at all to me. So unless it's something that becomes clear in its context, I'd try to squeeze in "full rotation along any axis".

Yeah that's what 6 degrees of freedom means. You can rotate around the x, y, and z axes freely and also freely move directly along any of those axes, and freely combine all those motions.

Like in a very simple platformer, where all you can do is jump/fall and move left/right, you have two degrees of freedom, moving along the x and y axes.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah that's what 6 degrees of freedom means. You can rotate around the x, y, and z axes freely and also freely move directly along any of those axes, and freely combine all those motions.

Like in a very simple platformer, where all you can do is jump/fall and move left/right, you have two degrees of freedom, moving along the x and y axes.

I know what 6DOF means but it isn't really, to my knowledge, widely used outside video games. It isn't immediately apparent to a reader unfamiliar with the concept and would require as much explanation as complete spatial orientation.

Edit: My knowledge is flawed.

Jerome Agricola fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 23, 2011

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm looking for some good arguments against Intelligence Quotients (IQs) being a valuable measure of intelligence. Basically any good resources that criticize IQ tests would be nice.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Marf Revus posted:

I'm looking to find one of those stores that sells all sorts of science-y (educational?) toys and gadgets. The kind of store where you always see someone playing with one of those expanding spheres. I have no idea of store names or even if that's a good way to describe it. Anyone know any names of these stores that I might find in Canada? I'm in the GTA (Mississauga specifically).

How far are you willing to go? There is an F.G. Bradleys in the Pickering Town Centre, I'm not sure of one closer to you though. There's also a neat store called Mind Games in the Oshawa Centre that sells a lot of Fred brand stuff and really neat toys.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jerome Agricola posted:

I know what 6DOF means but it isn't really, to my knowledge, widely used outside video games. It isn't immediately apparent to a reader unfamiliar with the concept and would require as much explanation as complete spatial orientation.

Degrees of freedom is a well-established mechanical term however, complete spatial orientation isn't.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Jerome Agricola posted:

We talked about six degrees of freedom when I was at Space Camp like 25 years ago. v:)v

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

"In mechanics, degrees of freedom (DOF) are the set of independent displacements and/or rotations that specify completely the displaced or deformed position and orientation of the body or system."

Which is 100%, precisely what I'm talking about. Good enough for me.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

I'm looking for some good arguments against Intelligence Quotients (IQs) being a valuable measure of intelligence. Basically any good resources that criticize IQ tests would be nice.

I think most of the arguments are not against the tests, per se, but against the idea of intelligence as a unitary entity that can be measured accurately and represented by a single number. I don't know about tests today (which I assume are a million times better) but the ones in the past were ridiculously culture based. Here's an example from the test given to US Army recruits in 1917, who were asked to draw in the thing that's missing from each of these pictures.

Knowing that a chimney is supposed to come out of the top of a house is clearly a marker of intelligence.

Test makers don't do this brazenly idiotic kind of thing anymore, but I can't imagine how a test could be culture-neutral. But in any case, the makers of these tests no longer claim to be measuring intelligence, but cognitive ability or something. I'm sure most of the criticisms of tests themselves are statistical in nature, so I don't know if you'd be interested in that.

I haven't really followed the IQ thing for a while, but I learned a lot about the history of IQ testing from Stephen Jay Gould's Mismeasure of Man and Stephen Murdoch's IQ: A Smart History of a Failed Idea.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax
Thank you, I appreciate the informative answer.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

Thank you, I appreciate the informative answer.

Here's another article on the flaws of IQ tests that might help you.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Are there stretches or exercises I can do that stop my legs from falling asleep when I sit in a half-lotus position/any other zen position?

reflir fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 23, 2011

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I wanted to see what 15 year mortgage rates were, so I went online and the first thing that came up was something like lowermybills.com and they needed to know my property value and loan balance, and what I thought my credit score was. So far so good, But they needed an email address, so I put in a fake one. Then they needed a phone number so I tried to put a fake one in, but they somehow figured out it wasn’t a real number, so I put my cell in. Then that wasn’t good enough, they needed a social security number, so I bailed. But within 12 seconds I got a call from some mortgage company seeing if I wanted to continue my mortgage application and I explained that I just wanted an idea of the rates, but I didn’t want to apply. I hung up and then got another call and another and another.

This was 3 days ago and I’m not taking the calls. Looking at the caller ID, it is about 5 different places, and I’m still getting about 8 calls a day. How long will it take for them to give up?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

I remember books like this too, but I can't remember their names. They had lots of them in my library at primary school. I think I bought one and might still have it along with my other books from when I was a kid, I'll have a look when I get home.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Zeta Taskforce posted:

This was 3 days ago and I’m not taking the calls. Looking at the caller ID, it is about 5 different places, and I’m still getting about 8 calls a day. How long will it take for them to give up?

Considering they are probably autodialers your best bet is to actually take them and then demand to be taken off their list once you get a human. Assuming you are already part of the Do Not Call lists and you (unknowingly) agreed to some partner sharing terms on the site.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

If it's on your cell and you have an android, there's a program called "advanced call blocker". Instead of just sending it to voicemail, you can set it to quickly pick up and hang up on them no matter how often they call.

It's 4 bucks, but it's made my life so much easier, because they could be calling 1500 times a day and I wouldn't know. (I had the VA sell my number after I worked for them as an independent contractor for a couple days. Ridiculous.)

I know it sounds ridiculous, but you can't really count on them taking you off their list, because they won't.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
We can't lose weight with you if you don't update your log!
   /
:backtowork:
I am interested in working for Geek Squad at a local Best Buy store. Has anyone had any experience working at the store level?

I checked out their online application and they PREFER you to have knowledge of OSX and Linux. Yeah, I've never even touched on either one, closest to that was I installed Jolicloud on my Netbook...

In a forums search a found a thread where someone recommended getting an A+ Certification. I guess that would be somewhere to start, but would it really be worth the trouble?

edited to add:

Whelp just found this in another thread...

Jedi425 posted:

I spent one of the worst years of my working career in the Squad. Here's a few pointers:

-Snag yourself a CD case from store stock your first couple weeks. (Ask your supervisor first, they have to record all pulls from stock.) Put your name on it with some masking tape and a Sharpie. Burn off several copies of the Windows OEM discs your store uses for system restores (remember you will need several versions; probably XP, Vista, 7), as well as the Geek Squad Diagnostic CD (it was called MRI when I was there, no idea if it still is). You want multiples so you can work several machines at once. You want your own case because otherwise you'll never be able to find a drat XP install disc.

-Get yourself a USB thumb drive as well. If your shop won't spot you one, just get a cheap-rear end one for like 5 bucks, you don't need a ton of space. This thumb drive is for work. It will be connecting to some of the most amazingly infected computers in existence. Never, ever, ever plug that thumb drive into a computer you care about. Use it for small diagnostic programs, file transfers, loading drivers on to customer machines etc.

-This one will sound weird, but you'll thank me the first time you have to work on a smoker's computer; hide or carry a pair of rubber gloves and one of those face masks you can get cheap at the Home Depot. You will work on computers that have rested hidden in corners and under desks for years, or that have had two-pack-a-day smokers puffing into the intakes for years. Your sinuses will thank you if you can keep the dust, tar, dirt, and other pollutants out. You may not need the mask every time (maybe never), but when that shitbox rolls in and your dick supervisor tells you you're working on it, you will be glad you have it.

-When you get your uniform order sheet, make sure to order a spare tie/tie pin if possible. (Your store may do that by default.) Hide the spare in your car or in the shop. You WILL forget your tie at some point. If you're lucky, your guys already have a communal tie stash.

This man is 1000% correct. The software will do the majority of the work for you, and many computer hardware tasks are no more complex than assembling a Lego set. If you really want to over-study, you're basically looking at the knowledge that an A+ certification would give you. Your store may require you to get that cert to be considered for promotion anyway, so it might be worth looking into.

Enjoy! You're now ready to become Computer Jesus. Get ready to charge people $200 to pull data off their busted-rear end computers with a $10 piece of hardware and 10 minutes of actual work. :patriot:

Anyone else have anything to add? :)

watchdog fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 24, 2011

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I wanted to see what 15 year mortgage rates were, so I went online and the first thing that came up was something like lowermybills.com and they needed to know my property value and loan balance, and what I thought my credit score was. So far so good, But they needed an email address, so I put in a fake one. Then they needed a phone number so I tried to put a fake one in, but they somehow figured out it wasn’t a real number, so I put my cell in. Then that wasn’t good enough, they needed a social security number, so I bailed. But within 12 seconds I got a call from some mortgage company seeing if I wanted to continue my mortgage application and I explained that I just wanted an idea of the rates, but I didn’t want to apply. I hung up and then got another call and another and another.

If you have Verizon, you can block up to (I think) 10 numbers. This has proven very effective for me because the caller gets an automated message saying that their number has been blocked.

I blocked Time Warner's horse poo poo telemarketing service that tries to sell you poo poo even after you already pay for their service, and someone clearly took the hint because once the blocked number expired (after something like 6 months), I no longer got calls from them.

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009
What exactly is a "Life Coach"? What kind of people patronize them? Do they actually help people or are they considered a scam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

themindisonfire posted:

What exactly is a "Life Coach"? What kind of people patronize them? Do they actually help people or are they considered a scam?

It ranges from infomercial quackery (by my books and learn...) to honest guidance in organization and goal achievement.