Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad they're giving Liu Bei back his stately gentleman look from the older DW games. They shaved him in DW6 and kept the fresh-faced look all the way through DW8 and that always struck me as a bit odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im glad hats and beards are coming back

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
These designs are bringing me back to DW4/5, Liu Bei and Sun Jian in particular

Bring back Sun Quan's neckbeard

Raserys fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 20, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh my god, Sun Quan's neckbeard

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

I wonder if this will involve a characterisation shift? Liu Bei's youthful features fitted his rather naive idealism pretty well.

It fit his idealism and also made the age gap less apparent when he was in cutscenes with Sun Shang but he otherwise looked totally out of place as the elder brother of two bearded middle-aged men and army leader in the same generation as Cao Cao and Sun Jian.

I'm really liking the character redesigns so far - they're clearly based on the old DW 3/4/5 designs, which I generally preferred.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Looking again, is it me or did they give liu bei his famous earlobes?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really want to know what they'll do to Zhang He and Wang Yi.
Hopefully Zhang He still has his claws and aerial moveset and Wang Yi gets the Emei Piercers from DW8:E instead of the Trishulas she had in DW8.

Also, random question, how good is Warriors Orochi 2?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 20, 2017

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jack Trades posted:

Also, random question, how good is Warriors Orochi 2?

Not as good as WO3, but still very good.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I hope someday they have young and old versions of the more prominent characters.

I'm playing ROTK 11 now and old Zhao Yun looks amazing.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
The only mainline Dynasty Warriors games I have are 5 and 5XL, did I make a good choice?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sordas Volantyr posted:

The only mainline Dynasty Warriors games I have are 5 and 5XL, did I make a good choice?

DW 5 was the peak of the series in my opinion. Ling Tong was such a beast.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

I hope someday they have young and old versions of the more prominent characters.

I'm playing ROTK 11 now and old Zhao Yun looks amazing.

I liked how they did that for Spirit of Sanada and having different models for some of the characters based on how old they actually were at the time. Kinda hope they expand on that.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Some will say 4, some will say 5. Ling Tong was ludicrous, but a lot of people seemed to become more usable, though that could be bad memory talking. Or maybe it was that non-Chaos was easier? I dunno.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I remember fondly sinking countless hours into Dynasty Warriors 4.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

bentacos posted:

I liked how they did that for Spirit of Sanada and having different models for some of the characters based on how old they actually were at the time. Kinda hope they expand on that.
Really weird having the un-aging ninja teenagers around old dudes though.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

I remember fondly sinking countless hours into Dynasty Warriors 4.

The yellow turban stages are burned into my mind due to all the create a warriors I made.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Dynasty warriors 3 was my gateway game to DW games.
but I think DW5 took most of my time. There was just so much to do in that game. all the different character stories

I hope they never get rid of local splitscreen.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sefal posted:

Dynasty warriors 3 was my gateway game to DW games.

my first dynasty warriors game was dynasty warriors 2. it was a boarding school and we were underclassmen so we weren't high enough yet on the social ladder to commandeer the tv in the lounge, so we used my friend's tiny little portable playstation lcd monitor. two players split screen life

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Really wish you could buy costumes individually like in the JP version (referring to WO3U). I read you can buy them 1 at a time for 100 yen. Buying the costumes I actually am interested in would only cost me $60 total if I could pay $1 each, but no, I have to buy them all in packs. For a total of $92.81(after subtracting the couple packs I already bought) just to get a few costumes out of each. I mean, if I wanted a lot more costumes it would be a great deal, at an average of $.38 per costume if I bought all of the packs. But I don't.

Sorry, just felt like venting.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So it turns out that Liu Bei will also be clean shaven because DW9 is doing the thing where the characters change their looks as the story progresses deal.

Here's a side by side

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/889394100927053824

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is this the game where they're using a completely new engine? Last one was 6 and that game was real bad. I hope they learned from that mistake.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Neat.

Now if there's an old man Liu Bei as well, that would be wonderful.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Almost exactly what I asked for! Even if it's just showing aging with a facial hair mod, it's a good start :woop:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Policenaut posted:

So it turns out that Liu Bei will also be clean shaven because DW9 is doing the thing where the characters change their looks as the story progresses deal.

Here's a side by side

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/889394100927053824

This is awesome.

There better be an old man Zhao Yun who kicks an absurd amount of rear end.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder if any of the girls in the game will also benefit from this tech.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pureauthor posted:

sun shang xiang lumberjack beard confirmed

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Pureauthor posted:

Lian Shi's enormous breasts will sag progressively, and eventually become a melee weapon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So Fate/Extella is pretty good on PC.

I have no idea what's going on with moves or why there's random quick time events during supers.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tae posted:

So Fate/Extella is pretty good on PC.

I have no idea what's going on with moves or why there's random quick time events during supers.

Use the moves you think look cool and kill things fast and safely, and the supers aren't really a QTE, they're just mash to use up more meter for more power. Just the basic use wipes out all mooks in a big area, but you have to spend a couple pips to kill the bigger guys if you want to take them out from full.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I'd be more inclined to play Fate/Extella if trying to understand that extended property's lore wasn't so confusing.

Not that this type of game requires understanding all the lore, mind you, but ancient Asian history is easier to follow.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

wielder posted:

I'd be more inclined to play Fate/Extella if trying to understand that extended property's lore wasn't so confusing.

Not that this type of game requires understanding all the lore, mind you, but ancient Asian history is easier to follow.

Yeah I get how you feel.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It would probably help if Extella wasn't story wise the third game in a series where the first one was a late release PSP game and the second was never translated into English.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PlayStation China had a huge conference today to talk about the PS4 in their region and, naturally, Tecmo Koei brought Dynasty Warriors 9 with a full 5-minute demonstration. It's not on YouTube so you'll have to watch it here.

This looks really good to me, but also immediately makes me wonder if they could create an RoTK with this engine. Just the thought of having an open world officer-based RoTK with this kind of environs and setup is making me salivate! A few things I noticed though: did Dynasty Warriors typically have Downed attacks? Guan Yu did what looked like an attack on a downed officer to instantly KO him and that caught me by surprise. Also noticed the ability to direct and call orders on the field without entering a menu which seems nice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope no downed attacks that I remember other than a couple of specials that involve surfing around on someone

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Policenaut posted:

PlayStation China had a huge conference today to talk about the PS4 in their region and, naturally, Tecmo Koei brought Dynasty Warriors 9 with a full 5-minute demonstration. It's not on YouTube so you'll have to watch it here.

This looks really good to me, but also immediately makes me wonder if they could create an RoTK with this engine. Just the thought of having an open world officer-based RoTK with this kind of environs and setup is making me salivate! A few things I noticed though: did Dynasty Warriors typically have Downed attacks? Guan Yu did what looked like an attack on a downed officer to instantly KO him and that caught me by surprise. Also noticed the ability to direct and call orders on the field without entering a menu which seems nice.

DW with chinese voice acting, finally
that poo poo seriously better be an option in the english release

also 500% agreed on openworld create-an-officer DW based on this being my jam. i always loved the free officer mode in empires even if it's super lovely
that or like a bladestorm-esque mercenary thing

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Did we get an release date?
DW9 looks like alot of fun.
About Fate Extella. I couldn't follow the story, but the gameplay was fun.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Liu Bei will just not be a good enough character until he throws a baby.

Press □ to Angrily Toss Infant

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol at Guan Yu going up that wall like Spiderman

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Liu Bei will just not be a good enough character until he throws a baby.

Press □ to Angrily Toss Infant

code:
                    Throw Son
                        Y
Thank Zhao Yun X         	   B  Stare Intently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
You forgot: Press X: Benevolence speech