Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hey look the guy who cant put the phone away while driving because MY BOSS is telling us what is safe and not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think I'm the guy you share the road with. My jeep is really noisy above 60, so I normally cruise in the right lane at 60. Plenty of following room there, and somehow hundreds of people aren't cutting in front of me. Sorry for interrupting you 80mph flow.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Safety Dance posted:

I think I'm the guy you share the road with. My jeep is really noisy above 60, so I normally cruise in the right lane at 60. Plenty of following room there, and somehow hundreds of people aren't cutting in front of me. Sorry for interrupting you 80mph flow.

Bless you, my son. The right lane is the right place to cruise near the speed limit.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Siochain posted:

Look ahead, find a "marker" (tree, sign, etc), mentally tag when the car ahead passes, and try to make it 8 seconds until you pass it. Keep your eyes ahead, glance at mirrors every few seconds, and match speed to conditions. All things which apparently most people never learn :(

I never knew I was supposed to follow far enough behind that I could stop from 80 mph about 5 or 6 times. This will transform my driving completely!

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

Siochain posted:

Hey, just saying what's safe. Sorry if you can't see 880 feet, maybe get some glasses. Shits not hard. Not saying I do it all the time, not saying its possible everywhere, just sayin what's been taught to me as being safe, since it gives you a TON of time to react when the dipshit in front of you fucks up.
I could probably open the door and stop from 60 with my feet with 8 seconds. That's the most ridiculous poo poo I've ever heard. I was taught two seconds, and as it is with those 20 mph suggested speed curve warning signs that you can comfortably do 50 in, it's rarely followed.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

If I have to drive on the road I make sure I am at least 60 yards behind the servant who, waving a red flag, walks ahead of my self-propelled vehicle

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
In about 30 years our cars will all be bump-drafting down the interstate automated express lane (a single 8'-0" lane) at 150mph while we pay $absurd per mile in tolls for the pleasure of doing so, while the plebs who insist on being in control of their own cars are forced to endlessly act and react to the ebb and flow of traffic, and are killed by the dozens in avoidable accidents on their daily commutes.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

ohgodwhat posted:

800 feet isn't nearly enough to really be safe. Sure, you have some time, but not nearly as much time as if you're a mile behind the car in front of you. If you can see the car in front of you, you're too close. Sorry if you don't agree but that's what I've been taught.

OP, while this may be safe in some parts of the country the true proper way to drive safely is to make sure nothing is visible between yourself and the horizon line on all sides. If anything encroaches upon this barrier you must immediatly stop the vehicle and clear the danger.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, what if a a car from the oncoming direction jumps into your lane going 80 mph?

You should leave enough space to go 80-0, make a U-turn, and accelerate to 80 mph again.

PT6A posted:

I am the guy you share a road with. I'm trying to come to terms with our new sucking loving piece of poo poo bike lanes, but today, it just got the better of me. I was first at a red light, and I had to make a right-hand turn shortly after the light, across the bike lane. The light turns green, and I accelerate slowly (no gas, just letting out clutch at first) until I realize.... all the cyclists have no interest in actually getting anywhere, so I'd probably be holding up traffic as I wait 15 seconds for them to actually reach the place I was turning. I pinned it, and turned right across that cocksucker. Probably not a responsible choice (I think the guy behind me honked at me), but it's not like I even came close to hitting or inconveniencing any of the stoned out cyclists.

Why are you cycling if you want to go walking speed? You could just walk!

And my other gripe: if you're on a bike, riding on the bike lane, and you come to a 4-way stop, you must observe the 4-way stop in the same manner as every single other person on the road. This means waiting your turn, but equally important, taking your turn when it is, in fact, your turn.

What I don't get about bike lanes that are part of the regular roads is how anyone could think that basically this was a good idea:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

What I don't get about bike lanes that are part of the regular roads is how anyone could think that basically this was a good idea:

Traffic planners are dumb idiots who have never driven a car or ridden a bike in their lives. Or observed traffic before or after adding new features...

They've installed traffic lights ON a roundabout when there's a set of traffic lights about 30ft BEFORE the roundabout. There were never any traffic issues beforehand outside of a bit of queuing but now they've opened up the bus lane to traffic because there's more traffic now which is possibly due to the new traffic lights, it's obviously impossible to tell considering NOTHING has changed about the whole setup.

If they'd come and sit for even 20 minutes they'd notice that due to the new lights on the roundabout traffic has to stop ON the roundabout meaning traffic coming from other directions can't flow properly causing everyone to basically sit and honk at everyone else.

It's dumb as gently caress.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Geoj posted:

Life outside the bubble is scary, isn't it?

You should probably just park your car in the garage and throw away the keys - it's the only way to be truly safe.

ohgodwhat posted:

800 feet isn't nearly enough to really be safe. Sure, you have some time, but not nearly as much time as if you're a mile behind the car in front of you. If you can see the car in front of you, you're too close. Sorry if you don't agree but that's what I've been taught.

Wow, lots of butthurt lovely drivers here apparently. Wasn't giving anyone poo poo, or saying you're all wrong. Just explaining what I'd learned.

But I do live in the rear end-end of nowhere rural Canada, so what I deal with up here is completely different from what you guys deal with. My most sincere apologies if my life experiences have differed from yours.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mobby_6kl posted:

Guys, what if a a car from the oncoming direction jumps into your lane going 80 mph?

You should leave enough space to go 80-0, make a U-turn, and accelerate to 80 mph again.

Where the two lanes are going wildly different speeds, and traffic on the right lane can be going anywhere between 5 km/h and 40 km/h depending entirely on who it is and how fast they wish to ride.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I love the contortions we all go through to arrive at "I must drive like an rear end in a top hat so that people won't hate me"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

davebo posted:

Obviously there are a million factors in any hour long commute but imagine that when you choose to allow a ton of people to merge in front of you it isn't just you it's affecting, it's potentially everyone behind you too. It's this same mentality when people don't pay attention at a stop light and it takes them 5 seconds to realize it's green, then they go. They figure hey why'd that jerk have to honk at me, I woke up and we both made it through the light just fine, what's the rush? Well, that's like 4 people at the back of the line who now have to wait an entire cycle because of those 5 seconds.

No, allowing a slightly larger though still not textbook gap in front of me is not the same as being so far into your own rear end or Facebook you don't notice the lights change for 5 seconds. And I'd rather every commute be 2 minutes longer because gaps are left than every other commute is 15-60 minutes longer because someone left such a short gap they literally couldn't react to the situation in front of them before becoming part of it.

I get it, you're pissed at having to wait for the next light cycle, not my fault.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
That light cycle would be his if everyone drove unsafely, as intended by the law of the existing situation.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

go3 posted:

because there was some rear end in a top hat in a lifted jeep in front

Or a guy using a pickup to haul stuff, OTR trucks, SUVs, etc. The road is used by lots of sizes of vehicles, being in a small car has its downsides.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Oh hey people talking about bikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVjsgCpjHUw

I wonder what the cause of this pebbledick obliviously swinging across a lane of traffic into the path of an oncoming bike was?

Hello cellphone, my old friend...

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
I wish i could say i felt sorry for the bicyclist , but 99% of bike riders in the pnw (read seattle to portland) are absolute twats and the worst that the bicycling community has to offer.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nm posted:

You have discovered why some cyclists don't stop at stop lights. Starting is a little slower than on a car. God forbid you are inconvienced for a few seconds.
Also, you understand you are supposed to enter the bike lane before turning right? If you did that, you'd avoid these issues.

Edit: some may be a little gun shy about taking thier turn because of morons in cars who think they don't need to yield to bikes that stop at a stop sign first. I'm looking at you rear end in a top hat in the 90s suburban last night.

I don't ride a lot. I stop at lights, or at least creep and look around before running one on a small intersection. At bigger ones, I try to make eye contact with the person I'm pulled up next to, hopefully that keeps me from getting flattened.

Sometimes though, I accelerate into the intersection on a light faster than the car I'm next to. I rarely beat them to the other side but it's still pretty satisfying. There's no room for lollygagging at lights, when so many of them are bullshit. Lights out of time slighly on one ways, protected lefts that don't turn to blinking yellow caution lefts when visibility is good, and lights without sensors entirely. I especially like when it changes just in time to make someone stop in the other direction when the intersection has been clear for a minute.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I wish i could say i felt sorry for the bicyclist , but 99% of bike riders in the pnw (read seattle to portland) are absolute twats and the worst that the bicycling community has to offer.

according to the news story, it was the second time this guy had been hit by a car

and in this case, the guy turned himself in, so i guess he has that going for himself.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That guy didn't hit get hit by a car, so much as he hit a car. Should the guy have turned? No. Should the cyclist have noticed what was going on and slowed down before hitting the car? Probably.

EDIT: I guess the cyclist was pretty close at the time, given his speed.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 28, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

:stonk:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

That guy didn't hit get hit by a car, so much as he hit a car. Should the guy have turned? No. Should the cyclist have noticed what was going on and slowed down before hitting the car? Probably.

EDIT: I guess the cyclist was pretty close at the time, given his speed.

Semantics :rolleyes: driver clearly caused the accident and did not right of way to make the turn.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BraveUlysses posted:

Semantics :rolleyes: driver clearly caused the accident and did not right of way to make the turn.

And stopped strategically to ensure cyclist would hit him.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I wonder what the cause of this pebbledick obliviously swinging across a lane of traffic into the path of an oncoming bike was?

If the driver didn't slow down I bet there wouldn't have even been an accident.

Also, if the cyclist had gone left instead of right, he may have avoided it, but maybe not, and that's risky on it's own because who knows if there was another driver behind the Expedition. I assume the camera is mounted to the guys head, weird how he never looks left while dragging himself out of the street.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Speaking of cycling and dickhead drivers I just nearly got taken out on the way home. I was on a roundabout heading towards my exit when some old fart came barrelling onto the roundabout without looking (give way, what's that?!) and was about a foot away from taking my back wheel out.

As I turned around to call him a oval office what did I notice? A loving phone in his hand.

I can only hope he rolls his car somewhere away from everyone else while he's on the phone and dies upside down and on fire. Prick.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Let's see what I dealt with on my drive home yesterday.

1. 3-4 people running a red light (as in red before they even entered the intersection)
2. I almost hit a cyclist who darted into the intersection ignoring the pedestrian signals while my light was green
3. I almost got hit by a moron who I thought was turning but I guess turn signal + slowing down doesn't mean they're turning?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sorry for the lovely cell phone picture but I was behind this today:

I saw 2 of those lovely black bungee cords total holding everything down. Surprisingly enough the ladders weren't bouncing all that much.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

AFewBricksShy posted:

Sorry for the lovely cell phone picture but I was behind this today:

I saw 2 of those lovely black bungee cords total holding everything down. Surprisingly enough the ladders weren't bouncing all that much.

I don't care how good (or poorly) ladders like that are tied down, being behind them scares the poo poo out of me.

I started a new job earlier this month, and most of the time, much of my commute is by DART lightrail train.

It is amazing how much more relaxed I am taking the train than driving downtown. A lot of stupid poo poo happens on the train, but most of it is laughable and not anger inducing, like watching a black kid complain that being fingered for riding without a ticket was "TOTALLY RACISM MAN" when the ticket checkers checked everyone else, but didnt give anyone else a citation (becuase they bought tickets)

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

The comments look like this thread.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

SyHopeful posted:

The comments look like this thread.
And all I hear in my head is my 5th grade teacher mr. Bertus explaining to the class during traffic ed. that "it doesn't matter if you had right of way when they have scrape you off the tarmac with a spatula."

If 10 and 11 year old kids can be made to understand why you should brake to avoid an accident, how loving hard can it be? That driver pulled out across the oncoming lane to make that turn seconds before the cyclist reacts to the car. The safe assumption to make is that everyone is an idiot out to kill or at least maim you. So if you see a car pull out like that you slow the gently caress down. If they don't see you, you can stop or swerve in time and if they do see you, they now have to wait that extra second for you to pass because they gave you reason to assume that they're an idiot out to kill you.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Most road bikes don't exactly have great stopping power and the guy said he was going 24 mph when he started to slow down (on the local news)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Deedle posted:

That driver pulled out across the oncoming lane to make that turn seconds before the cyclist reacts to the car.

I disagree. To me it looks like there is a second, maybe less between the time the truck actively begins the turn and you can actually hear the brakes being applied on the bike. Not terrible reaction time at all.

If you watch the video again, click pause the *instant* that you actually see the truck begin to turn - time stamp 0:09. Then start the video and click pause again the instant you hear the brake squeal from the bike. Oh hey, time stamp is still 0:09.

The cyclist had no reason to believe that the guy would turn, when he was clearly visible to the driver, as there were no obstructions of any kind preventing him being seen. The douche in the truck simply wasn't paying attention to the bike lane.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

nitrogen posted:

I started a new job earlier this month, and most of the time, much of my commute is by DART lightrail train.

It is amazing how much more relaxed I am taking the train than driving downtown. A lot of stupid poo poo happens on the train, but most of it is laughable and not anger inducing, like watching a black kid complain that being fingered for riding without a ticket was "TOTALLY RACISM MAN" when the ticket checkers checked everyone else, but didnt give anyone else a citation (becuase they bought tickets)

Sup, Dallas goon? I work in uptown Dallas and, for a brief period while living in Fort Worth, took DART light rail from Belt Line to Cityplace. The fare enforcement is one of the best free shows in town.

If you travel through downtown anywhere along that stretch from Pearl/Arts District to West End station, be sure to get a seat near the front. Every now and then someone tries to drive on the tracks (which are clearly marked "NO CARS" or something similar) and it's great watching the operator's reaction. I saw it happen once and, despite the cab being closed off, I could hear the operator say "are you loving kidding me, man?" as a car was trying to do a k-turn on both the tracks.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
West end station is an amazing human zoo.

Today was a good train day. I am currently sitting g next to a nice looking woman discussing the history of trains.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Deedle posted:

And all I hear in my head is my 5th grade teacher mr. Bertus explaining to the class during traffic ed. that "it doesn't matter if you had right of way when they have scrape you off the tarmac with a spatula."

If 10 and 11 year old kids can be made to understand why you should brake to avoid an accident, how loving hard can it be? That driver pulled out across the oncoming lane to make that turn seconds before the cyclist reacts to the car. The safe assumption to make is that everyone is an idiot out to kill or at least maim you. So if you see a car pull out like that you slow the gently caress down. If they don't see you, you can stop or swerve in time and if they do see you, they now have to wait that extra second for you to pass because they gave you reason to assume that they're an idiot out to kill you.

Covered by BraveUlysses and The Locator already. He started braking within a second of the SUV beginning it's turn, road bikes aren't easy to stop due to tiny tire contact patches, and they aren't all that maneuverable for similar reasons. The victim blaming this video is getting is loving ridiculous.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Saw these travelers today in Wyoming. Want to guess which state? Answer in spoiler below

Oregon

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

B4Ctom1 posted:

Saw these travelers today in Wyoming. Want to guess which state? Answer in spoiler below

Oregon

It doesn't look like they're inconveniencing anyone, what's the big deal? Were there better options nearby?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

PT6A posted:

It doesn't look like they're inconveniencing anyone, what's the big deal? Were there better options nearby?

I am guessing you are asking about accommodations? Yes. They were not staying here, so I cannot speak for their destination.

They had just pulled off of the freeway to load up at the Supermarket Liquor Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

B4Ctom1 posted:

I am guessing you are asking about accommodations? Yes. They were not staying here, so I cannot speak for their destination.

They had just pulled off of the freeway to load up at the Supermarket Liquor Store.

So, what was the issue with them parking there? It's not great, but it's not like they're taking up a lot of space in a particularly busy parking lot and I don't know where else they'd park.