Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

asdf32 I'm looking for potential investors in a patented Lil'Will Tell archery kit, complete with period-authentic bow & arrow and a foam target apple to balance on the heads of younger siblings. Interested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Youth specific high powered bows are a thing (I had one):
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Sports-Outdoors-Youth-Archery-Bow-Sets/zgbs/sporting-goods/3307768011

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

And there's nothing wrong with children shooting these at one another, right?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Metal lawn darts are a crucial part of a child's upbringing. Privately run 10-and-under lawn dart dueling tournaments are a wonderful way to find the quickest and strongest-skulled children for recruitment into Valhalla DRO's WarPup Program (formerly the Boy Scouts of America)!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

"The government disallows [Thing X] while allowing [Thing Y]" is not sufficient proof that "[Thing X] should be allowed."

Really, lawn darts are a bad hill to die on unless you can show that the cost of banning them outweighs the gain. I would argue that somewhat dangerous toys like bicycles and trampolines are okay because the dangers associated with them are mild compared to the health benefits of regular exercise. What are the health benefits of playing with metal lawn darts that you can't get from playing with, say, bocce balls? Or even plastic-tipped darts, if you must throw a dart-shaped object onto a spot on your lawn?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So now his objection is "sure they've killed children, but we haven't determined how efficiently they were killing children, therefore the ban is absurd nanny statism"

Nolanar posted:

Metal lawn darts are a crucial part of a child's upbringing. Privately run 10-and-under lawn dart dueling tournaments are a wonderful way to find the quickest and strongest-skulled children for recruitment into Valhalla DRO's WarPup Program (formerly the Boy Scouts of America)!

What the poo poo, I thought we voted to use the Girl Scouts as our Young Raiders farm program! Do the bangings of my tankard on the mead hall table mean nothing?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pththya-lyi posted:

What are the health benefits of playing with metal lawn darts that you can't get from playing with, say, bocce balls? Or even plastic-tipped darts, if you must throw a dart-shaped object onto a spot on your lawn?

Chest-puffing liberty.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

And there's nothing wrong with children shooting these at one another, right?

I've been building up my immunity to arrows since I was a child using one of those. I just shoot myself every day with a slightly larger arrow. Why kids these days don't know how good they have it. Probably can't even get shot with a needle fired at high speed without complaining.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I miss jrod.

Asdf, isn't the lawn dart thing the kind of middle compromise you generally go for? Metal lawn darts are not illegal to use, own, manufacture, buy, or sell, you just can't market them as a children's toy. What's the problem.

And if you really really want your kid's to experience the joy of seeing pointy toys advertised to them, there's plastic ones that do the same thing.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Pththya-lyi posted:

"The government disallows [Thing X] while allowing [Thing Y]" is not sufficient proof that "[Thing X] should be allowed."

You've got it backwards, and that's not remotely a view confined to libertarian goldbugs. The default is that Thing X, Y, and Z are allowed, not that anyone has to prove they should be allowed. It's on you to prove Thing whatever should be prohibited. If you're going to ban one for being too dangerous you sure can be called a hypocrite for not banning another that's also resulted in equal/more deaths (assuming that is the case here). I cannot think of any practical necessary skill in modern society using a bow gives to children.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bows aren't marketed as harmless lawn games and bow manufacturers don't break agreements with the courts to put appropriate warnings on them. Bows are sold as sporting goods and not as toys.

Metal lawn darts aren't banned. You can buy them right now for delivery to the US and Canada. This is the weirdest hill to die on.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 15, 2015

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

VitalSigns posted:

Bows aren't marketed as harmless lawn games and bow manufacturers don't break agreements with the courts to put appropriate warnings on them. Bows are sold as sporting goods and not as toys.

Metal lawn darts aren't banned. You can buy them right now for delivery to the US and Canada. This is the weirdest hill to die on.

It's not about lawn darts per se, it's about ethics in ethics journalism

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

VitalSigns posted:

Given the borderline-neanderthalic thickness of his skull, it's no wonder asdf32 doesn't see any real problem with lawn dart proliferation.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

To be fair I came in here to argue about marx. I'm not the one that changed the subject.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Caros
May 14, 2008

asdf32 posted:

To be fair I came in here to argue about marx. I'm not the one that changed the subject.

This is the libertarian thread, not the marxist one.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Speaking of maxism, that leather outfit doesn't seem like a very sensible ensemble for the Australian outback.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Speaking of maxism, that leather outfit doesn't seem like a very sensible ensemble for the Australian outback.

Frankly I don't think anything less than a full on biohazard suit is very sensible out there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Ok (except Quarkjets)

You keep calling me out for laughing at you for not knowing what "pseudoscience" means and it just keeps getting funnier

And then you turn around and agree that lawn darts are dangerous after all, thereby agreeing with the "pseudoscience":

asdf32 posted:

Anyways, yes I 100% agree that lawn darts can be dangerous.

You're probably the densest poster on these forums

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

asdf32 posted:

You know about as much about Marx as you do about children's toys. Nobody believes for a second that you're not a libertarian.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You know about as much about Marx as you do about children's toys. Nobody believes for a second that you're not a libertarian.

Whatever else you can say about them, libertarians are more than just thickheaded contrarians. They have beliefs and stuff.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Marxism should be regulated imo, you can't just throw it at a child.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

The Real Foogla posted:

Marxism should be regulated imo, you can't just throw it at a child.

Then why are we always telling them to share :colbert:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Just going to leave this here so I can get it easily if jrodefeld ever comes back. Here is Stefan molyneux doing an interview with Bell Curve author Charles Murray where the interview not only doesn't involve beating Charles Murray to within an inch of his life but is in fact a discussion about his book in general and how fully 50% of all Sub-Saharan Africans (including their US descendants) have an iq of 70 or less, which would make them mentally retarded.

So yeah, turns out he is racist as well as misogynistic. Who would have thunk it.

https://youtu.be/6lsa_97KIlc

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Whatever else you can say about them, libertarians are more than just thickheaded contrarians. They have beliefs and stuff.

I would sooner vote in asdf32 as King of America than I would any of this thread's favorite Libertarian prophets.

Under asdf32 I can buy fun lawn games, I don't need to take a listeria test kit to the restaurant, and I can count on the police to help me if one of my $0.50/hr manservants snaps and tries to kill me.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

Just going to leave this here so I can get it easily if jrodefeld ever comes back. Here is Stefan molyneux doing an interview with Bell Curve author Charles Murray where the interview not only doesn't involve beating Charles Murray to within an inch of his life but is in fact a discussion about his book in general and how fully 50% of all Sub-Saharan Africans (including their US descendants) have an iq of 70 or less, which would make them mentally retarded.

So yeah, turns out he is racist as well as misogynistic. Who would have thunk it.

https://youtu.be/6lsa_97KIlc

He's been absent long enough now, so I'll take a crack at this:

"Hmm, I'm not sure what exactly you think is so racist about his statistical analysis of average intelligence, and anyway I'd need to look more closely into the data he's pulling this from to make a real determination. Regardless, even if he is a racist I've never really been a strong devotee of Molyneux or Murray and while I do think they raise interesting points, we should not allow any potentially regretful side-beliefs to detract from their important economic contributions such as-*vomits giant wall of text which can be boiled down to "enslaving blacks ain't so bad, when you think about it, or something similarly repulsive*."

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

While being embarrassingly stupid and contrarian is a core element of libertarianism, it remains possible, indeed likely, that asdf32 is just a dumbass.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He's been absent long enough now, so I'll take a crack at this:

"Hmm, I'm not sure what exactly you think is so racist about his statistical analysis of average intelligence, and anyway I'd need to look more closely into the data he's pulling this from to make a real determination. Regardless, even if he is a racist I've never really been a strong devotee of Molyneux or Murray and while I do think they raise interesting points, we should not allow any potentially regretful side-beliefs to detract from their important economic contributions such as-*vomits giant wall of text which can be boiled down to "enslaving blacks ain't so bad, when you think about it, or something similarly repulsive*."

I pasted this into google and didn't get any hits, 4/10 would not 'rode again

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Muscle Tracer posted:

I pasted this into google and didn't get any hits, 4/10 would not 'rode again

Presumably the plagiarism would be in the giant wall of text I didn't bother with.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Caros posted:

This is the libertarian thread, not the marxist one.

What's the difference again?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Boy, if you don't know the difference between Marxism and Libertarianism, I don't see how you thought you were going to be able to argue about either of them.

Caros
May 14, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Uh... literally almost every single thing.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Caros posted:

Uh... literally almost every single thing.

Yeah but besides that.

Caros
May 14, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Yeah but besides that.

They're both proposed systems by which we organize the economy?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

asdf32 posted:

Yeah but besides that.

Go away.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Caros posted:

They're both proposed systems by which we organize the economy?

Core set of definitions childishly and rigidly extrapolated to everything. Government/ownership is flawed by its very nature per My Definitions -> must be 100% eradicated. Simple. Plus the host of psychological ingredients that are common to ideological cranks of all types. One weird trick for figuring out everything about society/economics! No thinking required! Consider yourself an insider holding the keys of knowledge! Explain how they are holding you down!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

I would sooner vote in asdf32 as King of America than I would any of this thread's favorite Libertarian prophets.

Under asdf32 I can buy fun lawn games, I don't need to take a listeria test kit to the restaurant, and I can count on the police to help me if one of my $0.50/hr manservants snaps and tries to kill me.

Wait, was it really asdf who said that he'd gladly hire a legion of literal slaves maids and manservants for a nickel per head per day if it were legal? It's hard to keep track of who says what morally reprehensible thing these days.

Caros
May 14, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Core set of definitions childishly and rigidly extrapolated to everything. Government/ownership is flawed by its very nature per My Definitions -> must be 100% eradicated. Simple. Plus the host of psychological ingredients that are common to ideological cranks of all types. One weird trick for figuring out everything about society/economics! No thinking required! Consider yourself an insider holding the keys of knowledge! Explain how they are holding you down!

I still can't tell if it's you or fish mech who is the most insufferably lovely poster in all of D&D. That said please stop trying so hard.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

asdf, what exactly is the point of trying so desperately hard to convince us all that you're a monumental idiot? I don't see the end-game here.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Caros posted:

I still can't tell if it's you or fish mech who is the most insufferably lovely poster in all of D&D. That said please stop trying so hard.

fishmech is more correct (and posts some a+ content when you don't disagree with him) whereas asdf would be in the ultrabland megaboring zone of "not even wrong" if he was even a little consistent

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

I think they're sorta opposites, as fish only going on pedantic tears when he's at least technically correct, whereas asdf32 only posts when he's wrong about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Caros posted:

Oh so you didn't read my book or study all my definitions. Let me link a quick 42 page read that explains it all.