Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

wraith_5_ posted:

I want to play ranged DPS at endgame in FF14. I've narrowed it down to Black Mage or Summoner, with a possibility of Bard. I understand that Summoners left something to be desired in their DPS at level 50; is that any better at 60? Some sperg sheet I saw on the interweb had a bunch of :words: about why he thinks Summoner will outpace Black Mage at 60 but I figured I'd come here to ask the real pros.

I don't need to play a class because it does 2.33% (repeating of course) better DPS, but I also do not want to be left out of groups because I picked a bad class. So, all you raiding pros, what class should I play?

Bard with no soul gem... ranged FRACTURE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
There is no class that is so bad that you will be left out of groups, class balance in this game tends to be pretty good. AST is slightly weaker than the other healers (though more because SCH is just broken good), and MCH tends to be looked down even though imo they're better than bard, people just don't know to play them.

SMN is probably the strongest class in the game right now though, maybe slightly behind SCH.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

bonewitch posted:

SMN is probably the strongest class in the game right now though, maybe slightly behind SCH.

Well this makes it easy. A DPS and a healer that I can level at the same time? Sounds like a winner, thanks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is A4S the only fight that SMN can't multitarget or cleave in?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Summoner doesn't have many "fun" buttons at lv50 which I think is the problem. Once you get Fester at lv35 you basically have all your interesting ARR job-specific skills. Tri-Bind is a wet fart except in one fight and in PVP, Spur is a basic pet dps cooldown, and Enkindle is a OGCD DPS move your pet does every 90s(?). Once you hit 52 and start getting stuff like Painflare, Tri-Disaster, Dreadwyrm Trance, and Deathflare the class becomes a lot more engaging to play. It is a class with a lot of timers that you need to keep track of to optimize your DPS and you can't forget entirely about your pet either. Leveling one is easy too if you're willing to try Scholar for healing queues.

I can't comment on lv60 Black Mage but they're fun at 50 and maximizing all the flares to get giant numbers to appear. Their rotation isn't too involved for decent DPS up to 50 but leveling up can get boring when it's just the spam of Fire 1's until your MP is low.

tl;dr Try both and see which sticks with you better.

e: Forgot the utility of Summoner and having access to healing (garbage), an impromptu tank (Titan which is also garbage but can pull through if your tank falls off the boss of Neverreap :v: ), and can resurrect which can save your actual healer's MP in healer-intensive fights.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 19, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

you can pad on a4s i assume

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
SMN in my savage group was rarely the top dmg in till we started doing Faust, and all a sudden he was doing 200 more dps then everyone.

"Must be my esoteric chest I bought first". He would say

We finally looked at ACT and its from the aoes on the adds. He left us for not being professional enough.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

RC Cola posted:

After getting the 60 msq what should I do first? Grind dungeons for gear?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TbmBVks_f36Ytw7INoQkHYchB5_QSiYhGA4MCl0rhZ0/preview?sle=true

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tenzarin posted:

SMN in my savage group was rarely the top dmg in till we started doing Faust, and all a sudden he was doing 200 more dps then everyone.

"Must be my esoteric chest I bought first". He would say

We finally looked at ACT and its from the aoes on the adds. He left us for not being professional enough.

The real marvel is that the lot of you needed to look at ACT to figure this out. Incidental Deathflare damage to adds is pretty obvious.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

GreatRedSpirit posted:

It is a class with a lot of timers that you need to keep track of to optimize your DPS and you can't forget entirely about your pet either.
This is something I was just thinking about, actually. I saw this proof of concept overlay on reddit a while back, and while I think I can keep track of Aetherflow and Aethertrail pretty readily, I do have to wonder whether something similar could be cooked up to show you the remaining time for your dots on all targets, to make it easier to keep track of and refresh them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How big is setting calculated dots in ACT? I've heard that there is a disparity to what is actually done.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Holyshoot posted:

Emergency Maintenance tonight during US prime time raid hours. RIP.

I'm not seeing anything about this? is it a joke

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Goblin server is having issues. Other servers are fine.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Tenzarin posted:

Adorable. 200 more than other jobs is actually really bad with padding. It should have been closer to 700 more.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Goblin is imploding from its lack of people.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ps am no frog posted:

Adorable. 200 more than other jobs is actually really bad with padding. It should have been closer to 700 more.

Do summoners really have more incidental AoE than dragoons or monks? I thought deathflare was the only one that comes up unless you're specifically planning on AoEing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ps am no frog posted:

Well I don't think he was using bane on a single target.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

You don't bane but shadow flare and painflare are both aoes that don't diminish and they add up with deathflare not to mention that all egi enkindles are aoe.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ps am no frog posted:

You don't bane but shadow flare and painflare are both aoes that don't diminish and they add up with deathflare not to mention that all egi enkindles are aoe.

And Shadowflare.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Don't forget shadowflare

edit: is anyone else getting an HTTPS error when booting the launcher?

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

Unless I'm crazy I'm pretty sure shadow flare is in my post. I'm looking at it right now.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Want to run Savage Alexander with some Pals? Have a Fairy? Come Scholar for Pixel Pals!

We're looking for a new Scholar to join us permanently as our founding Scholar had RL complications come up. You do not need to have previous raiding experience, but it is highly advisable that you understand the expectations of progression raiding, a real interest in learning your job, and want to clear both current and future end-game content. We're serious-casual about raiding. We aren't going to sperg out about dumb poo poo, but while raiding we expect each other to not be distracted or too hosed up to operate. With that said, being intoxicated is encouraged. This is serious video game business after all.

If you've never touched XIV raiding before, that's fine. We formed in 2.5 and at that time none of us had seen past T5. In two months we finished all Ex-primals and coil, including FCOB, and did a bunch of farming for glamours. We kind of got lucky with our group of newbies, but we need another to complete us now.

We raid M/W/F 8:30 EST - 11:30pm EST. Friday is not always a thing as sometimes RL stuff happens on Friday and that's okay, we check in on Wednesday to determine if we want the third day. Flexibility is cool as we are a bunch of big nerds that may be logged in on off nights and interested to farm.

tl;dr of what you should be willing to do:

1) Dying a lot for 3 hours a day, 3 days a week until we kill a thing (then repeat the process)
2) Being able to identify why dying is happening, and make it stop happening.
3) Pushing buttons (important) a lot (pretty much all the time)
4) Willingness to improve your play and learn how to maximize your job. Potions, food, planning gear upgrades. Capping Esoterics weekly, etc.
5) Be consistent and on time or at least communicate with us when RL happens (RL > game, we've not that big of nerds)
6) Get glamours.

If you'd be interested, post in our thread: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27495 or find Yevea Leleva in game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What's pinning SCH at the top of the strongest healer list?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ps am no frog posted:

Why would you painflare single-target? Does DT make that worthwhile for some reason?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Don't forget shadowflare

edit: is anyone else getting an HTTPS error when booting the launcher?

It happens when Im using WTFast sometimes, I just reload it again or pick another server.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I'm not a pro smn but from what I've seen and asked about you want to get into dreadwyrm ASAP so you can do the dips. This means painflaring for a single target at leat once maybe twice.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

vOv posted:

Why would you painflare single-target? Does DT make that worthwhile for some reason?

Short answer is sometimes timers line up such that the most important thing is not letting your Aethertrail stacks fall off and that means you need to pop an Aetherflow ability RIGHT NOW. This could be due to awkwardly timed phae transitions or boss jumps or whatever.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

ps am no frog posted:

I'm not a pro smn but from what I've seen and asked about you want to get into dreadwyrm ASAP so you can do the dips. This means painflaring for a single target at leat once maybe twice.

I think I get how Dreadwyrm Trance works - spam Ruin III, possibly drop a Tri-Disaster if things work out for that, finish with Deathflare. But it's still limited to how often Aetherflow is up, right? So it's still on essentially a minute cooldown, so it wouldn't be about getting there as soon as possible so much as picking the optimal time to launch it to benefit from the boost, wouldn't it?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

kafziel posted:

I think I get how Dreadwyrm Trance works - spam Ruin III, possibly drop a Tri-Disaster if things work out for that, finish with Deathflare. But it's still limited to how often Aetherflow is up, right? So it's still on essentially a minute cooldown, so it wouldn't be about getting there as soon as possible so much as picking the optimal time to launch it to benefit from the boost, wouldn't it?

Always Tri Disaster during Dreadwyrm

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

ps am no frog posted:

What?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Always Tri Disaster during Dreadwyrm

So you want to time it so there's overlap between Aetherflow and Dreadwyrm, then? Which means waiting until Aetherflow is nearly up before firing it off.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

kafziel posted:

So you want to time it so there's overlap between Aetherflow and Dreadwyrm, then? Which means waiting until Aetherflow is nearly up before firing it off.
You lost me, what does Tri-Disaster have to do with Aetherflow?

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I'm really not the best parson to argue this but it's mostly for the opener and you want to have your first dreadwyrm with an aetherflow for maximum damage. The faster you get into dreadwyrm the faster you can get back into it again

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

In no particular order:

• Fey Light is a partywide DPS increase, and a reasonably good one at that. Eos also brings a bunch of party healing and utility to the table.
• Scholars remain the kings/queens of healer DPS, especially in Savage (where you basically need pentamelded accuracy gear and food to get even close to pushing misses off the table; having three DPS abilities that bypass accuracy checks helps immensely). The fire-and-forget nature of their main damage dealers, and the continual healing from faerie, lets them swap between healing/DPS very smoothly, even with the loss of Cleric Stance Lustrate. They're also vastly superior for AoE fights compared to White Mages or Astrologians now that Bane is uncapped.
• Indomitability and Emergency Tactics + Succor filled the AoE healing gap that they previously had, while Tactical Deployment + Adlo lets you soak up a massive amount of partywide damage during phase transitions.
• Nearly every goddamn tank buster is magic-based, making Supervirus highly relevant for every piece of content you'd care to name. (And Fey Covenant doesn't hurt, either.)
• Your animations are cool.
• Steampunk cosplay (?).

It's basically a combination of them being packed to the gills with utility, having most of their major healing gaps plugged, and still having the best DPS capabilities out of the three healers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How much do they depend on their faeries not being daft bastards (or worse having to command them manually)? I don't take well to pets in MMOs, I only got SMN to 60 because their new spells are rad as hell.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

I don't run with a SMN at the moment but as long as it doesn't cause phasing issues I don't see the issue. I don't think the legs are within bane range though, and getting more quarantine than I have to due to padding would be my only worry at this point.

Also what are the multi-target chances in A3S? You would have to be careful due to hand of pain, there's also the hand on last phase which is a very small window. Overall I've seen BLM preform better in that fight, add phase is horrible for smn.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

They have the only glamour-able kneesocks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

How much do they depend on their faeries not being daft bastards (or worse having to command them manually)? I don't take well to pets in MMOs, I only got SMN to 60 because their new spells are rad as hell.

Not gonna lie: you can get away with not commanding them manually, but it's a pretty big hit to your usefulness, since the range on some of the spells is pretty small and you therefore often have to adjust the pet's position to make sure that as many people as possible get hit with Fey Illumination, etc. You also want to save certain cooldowns depending on the fight (like Fey Covenant during tankbusters or phase transitions). I was able to cram all of the skills onto my bar, along with Place/Heel, although it takes some fast fingers to play it optimally. It took some adjusting (I'm by no means The Pet Guy when it comes to MMOs, either), but I enjoy the challenge of it. It's the most active class I've played, and even simple fights keep me busy trying to play optimally.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ciaphas posted:

You lost me, what does Tri-Disaster have to do with Aetherflow?

They both have 60s cooldowns, so DT has a "soft" cd of 60s as well.

vOv posted:

You want to painflare in your opener when you have 6 stacks ready. Otherwise its a dps loss.

Ciaphas posted:

They have the most utility, the most damage, the most mitigation, and the second most healing through put of all the healers

Ciaphas posted:

Selene is fine to Sic unless you really need the aoe cleanse. Eos you want to micromanage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vOv posted:

You have four aetherflow abilities, their full potencies and cool downs are:
Fester - 300 potency, 10s
Painflare - 200 potency, 10s
Energy Drain - 150 potency, 3s
Bane - up to 810 potency to each of 2 additional targets, 405 to the third and more*, 10s

*assumes hard casts in the order bio 2, miasma, bio losing 2 tics of bio 2 and 1 tic of miasma; tridisaster->bane is 890

Basically its trading 100 potency for getting into dwt faster. Note that a ruin iii is 120 potency and ruin i/ii is 80 potency so delaying a DWT needs to be worth more than 40 potency/global cool down so fester/painflare/fester wins.

• Locked thread