Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

OTOH maybe we should be glad some of the fields aren't trying to interact with each other

https://twitter.com/yellingatwind/status/1301700119419432960
I would bet money that the university came up with he conclusion and hired people to make a model to support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
All good science starts with a basic question: What do I believe and how do I create a dataset to prove it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Outrail posted:

All good science starts with a basic question: What do I believe and how do I create a dataset to prove it?

This same person later tries to argue "If we don't publish the numbers about how bad things are, things won't be as bad!"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This same person later tries to argue "If we don't publish the numbers about how bad things are, things won't be as bad!"

Actually, if we remove the outliers outside our hypothetical norm the dataset looks pretty good

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just sort your dependent and independent values separately you cowards. That way you always get good fits.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Outrail posted:

Actually, if we remove the outliers outside our hypothetical norm the dataset looks pretty good

Winsorize your data to look normal

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BonHair posted:

Just sort your dependent and independent values separately you cowards. That way you always get good fits.

All published graphs converge to x=y

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Very helpful, thank you.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

FreeKillB posted:

Very helpful, thank you.

voting participation is the new dick size.

"Yeah my participation is twice the size of an average one"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Outrail posted:

Sometimes when you massage the numbers you get a happy ending

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Do the remaining 1% think we're multi-track drifting?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
A lesson in being clear what data you're leaving out, here:

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1307983243719913473

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Angepain posted:

A lesson in being clear what data you're leaving out, here:

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1307983243719913473

That is interesting to see the spread westward and the gold rush in California. Also, as is commonly known, no humans lived in the Americas prior to the Europeans discovering it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What's the chance it doesn't count black people up until like the 1960s?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It counts three‐fifths of them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Platystemon posted:

It counts three‐fifths of them.

Ni....not nice.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

jjack229 posted:

Also, as is commonly known, no humans lived in the Americas prior to the Europeans discovering it.

It's equally commonly known that the census data it cites made sure that they measured the population of tribes they didn't even know existed yet.

This map does a whole bunch of very loaded things (and the census office didn't do density maps until 1860) but that's not one of them.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Is that squares per mile? Squids per mile? [Pop. Density]^2 per mile?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Sighence posted:

It's equally commonly known that the census data it cites made sure that they measured the population of tribes they didn't even know existed yet.

This map does a whole bunch of very loaded things (and the census office didn't do density maps until 1860) but that's not one of them.

It kind of is one of them, in that while you could technically conclude that from seeing the small text saying it's census data and considering the likely population of the census, the way the data is presented doesn't make clear that there are in fact people there. The map isn't technically lying on that front, but it is misleading in a way that reinforces some forms of ignorance.

Also worth nothing that this map isn't complete or precise either, from the comments in that tweet the guy who made it acknowledges a work in progress and it's only part of the data.

https://twitter.com/RWArchaeology/status/1308447051752103938

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Angepain posted:

Also worth nothing that this map isn't complete or precise either, from the comments in that tweet the guy who made it acknowledges a work in progress and it's only part of the data.

https://twitter.com/RWArchaeology/status/1308447051752103938
I was going to ask about Cahokia but I guess that died before 1492.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

BonHair posted:

What's the chance it doesn't count black people up until like the 1960s?

In about the 1880s and 1890s, you can see population density start to rise in That Famous Cretaceous Coastline, so the odds are that the census probably didn't count black people properly until after the civil war..

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

FreeKillB posted:

Very helpful, thank you.

This one pisses me off because apparently my voting record is "average", even though I've voted in every single election (primaries, midterms, random school referendums, etc) since I turned 18.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Raldikuk posted:

This one pisses me off because apparently my voting record is "average", even though I've voted in every single election (primaries, midterms, random school referendums, etc) since I turned 18.

that's average for you tho

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Raldikuk posted:

I want to guess that it's based on a metric that's scored in the Democratic voter database, and I don't think anyone under the age of 70 gets a good score, no matter how regularly they vote.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Raldikuk posted:

Did you think the average was smaller? Do you find that very unsettling?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I mean it would have to be, since some people don't vote, and it's hard to overvote.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Golbez posted:

I mean it would have to be, since some people don't vote, and it's hard to overvote.

There is some disagreement on this point...

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

https://twitter.com/baumard_nicolas/status/1308715609795039232

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

automatically generate trustworthiness evaluations for the facial action units

of Oblivion characters

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I want to guess that it's based on a metric that's scored in the Democratic voter database, and I don't think anyone under the age of 70 gets a good score, no matter how regularly they vote.

lol i bet their "average" voter has voted in at least 10 presidential elections

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

:psyduck:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Did they publish it in quilette

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

We showed a computer smiling vs frowny faces and told it happy faces were better.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Did they publish it in quilette

doubt it, both faces are white

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
But you guys they compared the algorithm to results obtained from human surveys and it matched!

Which they apparently dont' realize is just another way of saying they've automated the obvious euro-centric bias of their focus group, by training an AI on historical euro-centric preferences. :bravo:

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Also, they're using paintings as data. I'm not an art historian but I don't think it's true that all paintings are photo-realistic and there have been no variations in style and technique in European art over 500 years, which is what they seem to be assuming.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well supercomputers didn't solve all our problems, but at least now we can prove phrenology works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

steinrokkan posted:

Well supercomputers didn't solve all our problems, but at least now we can prove phrenology works.

Super computers + Phrenology = Super Phrenology!

I call this Super Phrenology. And THIS is Super Phrenology II!