Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Cugel the Clever posted:

What the gently caress is it with dictators and ludicrously long, rambling press conferences? Have any leaders from liberal democracies been known to do such a thing?

In a democracy, your opponents are always on the lookout for your mistakes, gaffes, or things they can twist. The longer you talk, the better the odds of that happening, so don't give them the chance.

In a dictatorship, they're dead. Knock yourself out.

Also, in democracies, typically the opposition will want to speak, too. No-one is sitting through twelve hours of speeches, so you all have to restrict your word count a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

:vince: :poland:

Halborn
Nov 8, 2020

So a brittle blade will shatter before it bends, so a brittle soul will break before it turns.

Mokotow posted:

There’s a lot going on right now. The TVN vote passed, but after the plenary session was ended by another vote. PiS used a legality that doesn’t apply - if a vote was “obviously flawed”, 30 parliamentarians can motion a resumption. This vote wasn’t “obviously flawed”, so somewhere down the line the Sejm marshall Ms. Witek will be seriously legally hosed.

On top of that, the nutsos from Konfederacja did something good for once and somehow appended a regulation that will change how the State Media Control Comission is elected, effectively meaning that from 2022 PiS will loose one of their main tools of controlling state media.

The lexTVN as its known will now go to the senate for 30 days and come back to the Sejm for a second vote. In 30 days, things will be completely different and on top of that PiS might have to scrap the law altogether because of the aforementioned change.

Even if it passes, the law doesn’t change much. TVN can switch the signal to their second news channel, or use an EU permit for satellite stations - they’d lose out on the air bands but who gives a gently caress except your dziadzia na wsi.

And the kicker is the cost for all this nonsense is immense. Poland might loose US troops stationed here and any goodwill from Biden, if there’s any left. The EU will now happily limit Corona financing. Hell, PiS actually lost it’s majority. Madness!

The senate managed to stop silly laws in the past, hopefully this time won't be different, I'm counting on Tomasz Grodzki. I'm just wondering what Kaczynski used to buy Kukiz, was it blackmail or some top sinecure?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
This went under the radar with all the other stuff going on but one of those unambiguously good things

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1424832311326126082

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
slava rossii fascist homopindosi owned once again

quote:

According to a recent Morning Consult poll, Russia now has one of the highest levels of vaccine skepticism in the world, with 35 percent saying they are unwilling to get vaccinated. Even the United States, where vaccine skepticism is rampant, has only 19 percent committed anti-vaxxers.

Article: The Shocking Enormity of Russia’s Botched Pandemic Response

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Somaen posted:

This went under the radar with all the other stuff going on but one of those unambiguously good things

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1424832311326126082
:eyepop: Good news in EE thread? I guess kremlinbots will still talk about Azov's fascists years from now

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Ukraine will never not be a nazi-fascist-US-lapdog state until the large legitimate son president Yanukovich is reinstated

Necronormiecon posted:

slava rossii fascist homopindosi owned once again

Article: The Shocking Enormity of Russia’s Botched Pandemic Response

What's strategically bizarre about this is that it disproportionately affects the Russian speaking (and Russian state TV watching) population worldwide, so in a way the Kremlin torched its sympathetic base abroad to make some bucks from selling Sputnik, which was also a failure due to production/delivery gently caress ups

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

:eyepop: Good news in EE thread? I guess kremlinbots will still talk about Azov's fascists years from now

I overheard on some Russian talk show that their new complaint is Phlipp Kirkorov being banned from entry so maybe that would be the talking point for a while

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cugel the Clever posted:

What the gently caress is it with dictators and ludicrously long, rambling press conferences? Have any leaders from liberal democracies been known to do such a thing?

When you're a dictator, no one has the guts to tell you it's a bad look. The same when you're a multi-millionaire.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1425140025700847620

e: Fidel Castro is probably the champion of all times. Seven hour speeches were a routine for him and he holds the record for a speech at the UN General Assembly, 4 hours 29 minutes. I pity the UN interpreters.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 14, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's also this guy:

According to Guinness World Records, the longest statement made at the UN was given by V.K. Krishna Menon of India. His statement to the Security Council was given during three meetings on 23 and 24 January 1957 (S/PV.762, S/PV.763 and S/PV.764). According to the times listed on the meeting records, the meetings lasted more than 8 hours.

Although that was split into several meetings as I understand

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Our border guard boss said in an interview today that Iraqis trying to cross Latvian border have essentially been taken there by deceit, and then forced by Belarus security to attempt to cross - looking to actually return to Iraq more than to do anything else.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I know there are more pressing issues in global politics and this such a petty issue, but goddamn.

Remember the Lex TVN voting thing and how marshall Witek said she asked "five lawyers" for opinion about reassumption? It was bullshit.

https://twitter.com/patryk_1234567/status/1427341068366983175

Today, live on TV she showed those opinion. Just two [EDIT: she showed later another three]. Oh and dates are from 2018, and the content is of course, about completely unrelated votings.

This is so brazen, I can't loving stomach it

Okay, since I'm editing this post, just today we've heard three versions about Polish contractors in Afghanistan:

"they have scattered" - Morawiecki
"they've been already moved in June" - Blaszczak (Ministry of Defence)
"we're sending the plane" - Morawiecki

in the meantime also was mentioned, but can't found who said it, that the evacuation is impossible because... 10 years ago, Sikorski closed the Polish embassy in Afghanistan, and there is no one point of evacuation. Blame Tusk, always!

It doesn;t matter, Polish gov is now playing another match in the crowd-pleasing sport of pissing contest with Israel over reparations, and who should pay who

laserghost fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 16, 2021

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
The best thing about the Lex TVN debacle is that the station's already got a Dutch license.

All that poo poo was for literally nothing

sad question
May 30, 2020

We're not the only country in this situation but leaving allies behind to be butchered is absolutely disgusting and makes me furious. What is even that plane supposed to do now? Grab people with a rope like in Dark Knight?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1427717780703531011

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:stare:

holy poo poo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Totally normal things. :staredog:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Totally normal things. :staredog:

The logical consequence of "anywhere but here" migration policy. Annoying neighbouring countries qualify as being not "here", so just move the migrants there (using eg bribes, threats of violence, or trebuchets) and pretend they're not your responsibility.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

suck my woke dick posted:

The logical consequence of "anywhere but here" migration policy. Annoying neighbouring countries qualify as being not "here", so just move the migrants there (using eg bribes, threats of violence, or trebuchets) and pretend they're not your responsibility.

it's a bit different when you're intentionally flying the migrants in specifically to herd them to the border

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

it's a bit different when you're intentionally flying the migrants in specifically to herd them to the border

Based on what small investigative journalism the remnants of independent media in Belarus could still do by talking to hotel receptionists, taxi drivers, and locals who live close to the border, only a small chunk of migrants get transported to the border in groups by guides. Those guides either work for the state owned tourist firm that also helps Iraqi 'tourists' with visas, or are straight up border guards. The majority of migrants, however, seem to just get a taxi from the hotel and then walk through the border, while Belarusian border guards look the other way.

Then, and that's based on videos from Lithuanian, Latvian, Polish, and Belarusian border guards, they try to claim refugee status at the EU border, but are not allowed to cross and pushed back to Belarus, where they are also not welcome, unless they have some visible wounds that can be filmed on video to support the propaganda narrative of EU fascists torturing refugees. Note that despite hours of videos from all sides, I haven't seen a single one so far where EU border guards are seen beating up, shooting directly at, or releasing the dogs at the migrants, etc. There are only videos of the alleged aftermath of said actions captured by Belarusian guards. Nevertheless, Lithuanian, Latvian, and Polish border guards are, indeed, allowed to use physical force to persuade migrants to return to Belarus. There are videos where they at the very least drag people back to the Belarusian border against their will. Even that, from what I've read, might be breaking a bunch of conventions, as countries are expected to allow entrance to anyone who wants to make a refugee claim, but I'm not an international lawyer.

What's also not very clear is where do people turned back at the border go afterward. Lithuania alone is said to have blocked entrance to over a thousand migrants at this point, and then they basically disappeared. Some of them managed to return to Iraq via the special flight a couple of weeks ago, but there still should be hundreds unaccounted for who are still in Belarus.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

suck my woke dick posted:

The logical consequence of Belarus riot police invading Lithuania?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
meanwhile https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1427609590208864264

let us all appreciate this... thing

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

:wtc:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Pryanik is not inferior to a cookie! :colbert:

That said the mascot is horrific

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Hell version of Bernd das Brot

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernd_das_Brot

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

:ohdear:: Mama, I can't sleep. I'm afraid the Russian pryanik fire prevention monster will come and eat me

:hai:: Don't worry, dear. NATO troops are watching the border closely tonight

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If I may say, it looks quite, heh, baked.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Tul'skiy Pryanik is 300g of good jam crammed inside a tasty glazed dough.
It's more on the cake side of things, even.

But that mascot is a terrible take. Like many other things that are state-made, tbh.
Much like the new sculpture in Moscow

I don't know why it's silver and not brown either.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Looks like shrapnel

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
My first thought upon seeing it went to Chernobyl's elephant's foot, and I started wondering what nuclear catastrophe Russia was commemorating with this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

Looks like shrapnel

It looks like a pile of dog poop painted silver.

Slashrat posted:

My first thought upon seeing it went to Chernobyl's elephant's foot, and I started wondering what nuclear catastrophe Russia was commemorating with this.

Maybe that Nuclear Cruise Missile that killed a bunch of scientists a few years back?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What is it supposed to be other than the obviously polished turd?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

it doesn't loving look anything like any pryanik i've ever seen, that's for sure :stare:

also lmao at this guy calling pryaniks "inferior cookies". just wow

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Erulisse posted:

the new sculpture in Moscow

Still better than most of the Tsereteli crap!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Still better than most of the Tsereteli crap!

I concur.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Meanwhile in Estonia. Some folks have thrown around an idea of building a nuclear station. After our stockpiles of various not easily replaceable vaccines spoiled because of UTTER INCOMPETENCE I'm not so sure about that.
Let's see.... Essential vaccines delivered from abroad, ones to administer to children after birth, some covid ones as well. Worth millions of euros, stored in a cold storage warehouse. Then came a heat wave. The commission set to investigate the case found that:
some IT department shut down an old DNS server that was used by monitoring tasks to send temperature reports and alerts. But those were sent only on Saturdays and Sundays. To people who no longer worked there. The data was supposed to come from one uncalibrated sensor placed near a freezing unit. Daily measurements were supposed to be taken, which nobody did. Said cold storage also has heated floors (which came as a surprise) and shares the ventilation system with other rooms in the building, used to circulate warm air. There are no appropriate doors either, just fireproof doors. Walls were not insulated. Humidity was regularly at 75%. Cooling units were of dubious origin, without proper documentation. There were reports ever since the building was built (2017) of cooling units working at near-maximum load.

Who was guilty? Everyone was slightly guilty, so no-one. I guess we get what we pay for: not much. A government tender is like a genie: one must word all three wishes really carefully or one ends up getting screwed over.

Oh btw, our rescue workers have to work two jobs to make ends meet. This country sometimes. Just your regular eastern European fare.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://twitter.com/Pabriks/status/1427901737885655043

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Erulisse posted:

A few months of air pollution will do the job in Moscow.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Erulisse posted:

I concur.

Is he supposed to be wearing Prometheus space suit or adidas track suit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Erulisse posted:

Tul'skiy Pryanik is 300g of good jam crammed inside a tasty glazed dough.
It's more on the cake side of things, even.

But that mascot is a terrible take. Like many other things that are state-made, tbh.
Much like the new sculpture in Moscow

a great addition