Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, my dainese pants had long shinguards like that, and I have boots that length. Had to swap em to something shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Have you tried putting them on? When I wear boots that high with knee guards that low, they collide in the middle.

I have to tuck the bottom inch or two of the guard into the boot. Works fine, I don't even notice it so far. I have long legs though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I know Bilt stuff is pretty bottom of the barrel, but just how bad are their boots?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I know Bilt stuff is pretty bottom of the barrel, but just how bad are their boots?

I can't comment on the boots, but I have some Sedici gloves that popped a couple stitches on the cuff on the second or third day I used them.
And Sedici is supposed to be their line that's a step up from Bilt :v:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Marxalot posted:

Oh, maybe I just have big weird feet. I wear a 10.5-11.5 and even then half the time I'll try on everything in that range and they're all either too narrow or too long.
I just figured that was normal :v:

I'm a 13 and ordered the 13/48UK. I noticed today the tag inside says 12.5US/48, but they fit great so I dunno. Maybe its just a lost-in-size translation.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Bilt is the Harbor Freight of motorcycle gear. Most of it will fall apart, but every now and then you get a solid item. The plus is that you can just keep swapping it under the 5 year warranty until you get said solid item.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

When a Harbor Freight special fails you're just out 20 minutes or however long it takes you to exchange it and the worst that happens is whatever project you're working on is delayed a bit. I wouldn't have the same patience and risk tolerance for something that's supposed to save my life.

Please spend a few bucks more to get something that isn't garbage.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
The Bike Gear Thread: goons don't let goons buy Bilt

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Marxalot posted:

How the hell do you order something like a boot online anyways? Did you find some store that carried them and tried it on there?

Revzilla does video reviews of most stuff, and the main guy tends to compare boot/shoe size & fit to a Nike sneaker. I know what I am in a Nike, so worked off of that.

Trying local and buying online is kind of lovely, though I do understand.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to ask a question like this, but I really don't know where to begin with motorcycle gear and don't have time to read through this whole thread.

Anyway I'm in the market for motorcycle jacket with the following requirements:

- Durable and comfortable enough to be used with a daily driver motorcycle to and from work

- All-weather. I live in the Pac-Northwest so temperatures mostly ranging from 40-70 degrees with a fair bit of rain.

- Between $200-400 preferably

Any advice is much appreciated as I'm basically just trying to get a place to start from. All my previous riding was done in Taiwan, and nobody wears gear there so I never developed any familiarity.

Bonus question: What's the difference between "riding shoes" & "riding boots" as far as safety. I like the look of stuff like this:

http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbike/street-biker-d-wp.html?cat=26

but those don't look much safer than a regular pair of shoes. I'm guessing riding boots are much safer.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Firstgear Kilimanjaro worked great for me in seattle rain or shine until I lowsided at 30-40mph in heavy rain and took another very low speed slide in some grass at a training course a few months later. After which the jacket still seems basically fine but it's not waterproof anymore on the sleeves. I assume but cant prove that was because of flopping on the road instead of just a failure of the jacket. Unlike most jackets I've seen, the outer shell is waterproof, not a waterproof liner inside so the shell gets soaked through. The former was a mandatory requirement for me considering the PNW weather but it does limit options.

But what you really want is an aerostich anyway.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

HappyHelmet posted:

Sorry to ask a question like this, but I really don't know where to begin with motorcycle gear and don't have time to read through this whole thread.

- Durable and comfortable enough to be used with a daily driver motorcycle to and from work

- All-weather. I live in the Pac-Northwest so temperatures mostly ranging from 40-70 degrees with a fair bit of rain.

Any advice is much appreciated as I'm basically just trying to get a place to start from. All my previous riding was done in Taiwan, and nobody wears gear there so I never developed any familiarity.

Bonus question: What's the difference between "riding shoes" & "riding boots" as far as safety. I like the look of stuff like this:

but those don't look much safer than a regular pair of shoes. I'm guessing riding boots are much safer.

Sounds to me like you're looking for a textile jacket! Fortunately, there are a number of good waterproof ones (or ones with liners) in your price range.

I hear a lot of good things about the FirstGear Kilimanjaro. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/jackets_and_vests/textile_jackets/first_gear/kilimanjaro_jacket_2012.html

I was able to pick up a Dinese Bruce jacket for $300, but that was a pretty good in-store closeout deal. If you're near a D-Store, check them out. Olympia Motosports also makes a number of textile jackets that fit your requirements.

(Get an Aerostich.)

Motorcycle shoes are going to be less protecty than boots, plain and simple. What you're looking for in boots is a steel shank running down the length of them, a heel cup, and relatively stiff protection against ankle-snapping (also, in your case, waterproofness). Motorcycle shoes offer none of the above.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

HappyHelmet posted:

Alpinestars, First Gear, Cortech, Fieldsheer, I could go on. When it comes to keeping your "warm", it's all relative to you. Waterproof gear will only keep out the water for so long. The vast majority of Washington rains will be kept at bay by almost any type of WP jackets sold by most manufacturers. With your price range, you've got a lot of options. I had a First Gear Jaunt that lasted several years before the shoulders gave out and rain soaked in. Textile is the way to go for warm and waterproof, though.
I highly suggest going to a store that sells gear and trying on on jackets to determine which one fits you best. After that, you'll get the best prices for stuff online.

Riding shoes don't really do anything, especially for WA weather. If you want to keep the rain out or your feet warm, go with something mid calf. I recommend Alpinestars Gortex boots because I'm biased that way.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll start nosing around checking out the brands you recommended and maybe hit up some shops to try stuff on.

I guess I'm stuck having to buy boots. I was hoping maybe I could get something that would double as more practical shoes so I wouldn't have to carry around a spare pair. But yeah, I'll be need a pair of waterproof boots given the weather around here.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Decide for yourself :v:

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So I've been looking for a new helmet for quite some time and honestly I don't quite know where to start. All I know is I want a decent modular helmet with bluetooth capability because I regularly commute 30-50 minutes and would like to listen to some music on the trip. Any suggestions?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
HJC has a few moderately priced modular helmets, and HJC, Shoei, and Schuberth have models on the higher end of the price scale too. I recommend finding a modular that fits your head the best, and then add on a Sena bluetooth set, instead of focusing on a preset helmet / intercom combo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

-Inu- posted:

Decide for yourself :v:

Yup, I went to Cycle Gear to check their boots out first hand today, and none of them felt like they had enough side-to-side protection. I mashed around every pair of their boots and only the top model Sidici had any kind of sideways protection.

I mean, right now I'm riding with a set of non-motorcycle leather boots so anything would be an improvement, but I'm just going to hold off a while longer until I can do a higher quality pair.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
"Enough side to side" protection? They have 0 side to side protection. I have those exact boots in that picture. They are what they are, and nothing more. Pieces of hard plastic around the LOW ankle, with a little nub over the Achilles, a piece sown over the leather over the bone on the outside of the heal. a Toe slider, and perforated leather. The sole on mine is pretty much gone after 2 years. The zippers are shot. The velcro is wearing out. There is no comfort inside the shoe and the lever padding is just a thin rubber piece on the outside. Shifting will hurt with thin socks.

They suck rear end but they're cheap. I would've upgraded by now but I don't like any of the alpine-stars or dainese fits I've tried so far. I really need to find a store with a vast selection of boots because my feet are weird. Extremely big toe and the rest slant in, like I've got a witch shoe for a foot.

If you are questionable about how much you think you're going to ride MAYBE pick up a pair if they're discounted a LOT. I would recommend getting a real brand, even if you quit riding you can sell them on ebay/craigs/here, nobody will want Bilt anything.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I ride daily and have for years, just never got around to buying gear for my lower half. Part option paralysis, part cheapness, all stupid. :/

Anyways, any suggestions for mid-priced options? I'm in the Bay Area so I need waterproof (although not so much this year) but I don't have to really worry about extreme temps in either direction. I'll bring my nice shoes to work with me so I don't really have to worry about all day comfort but I would like something that doesn't feel like wearing snowboard boots if I just jump off to do an errand.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I ride daily and have for years, just never got around to buying gear for my lower half. Part option paralysis, part cheapness, all stupid. :/

Anyways, any suggestions for mid-priced options? I'm in the Bay Area so I need waterproof (although not so much this year) but I don't have to really worry about extreme temps in either direction. I'll bring my nice shoes to work with me so I don't really have to worry about all day comfort but I would like something that doesn't feel like wearing snowboard boots if I just jump off to do an errand.

Pants:
- Aerostich Darien pants - $327: http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pants/darien
- Alpinestar Drystar - $199: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-bregenz-drystar-pants
Pretty much anything here is a good bet: http://www.revzilla.com/new-motorcycle-pants#v2-facets%5B%5D=257&page=1&page_size=96&sort=featured&tab=all

Boots:
- Firstgear Kathmandu - $152: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-kathmandu-wp-boots
- Dinese Fulcrum - $299: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-fulcrum-c2-gore-tex-boots

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I was looking at the Kathmandu boots, but they're apparently identical to the Bilt ADV boot save the buckle vs. velcro straps. Not sure whether that's an endorsement of the Bilt's or a knock on the FirstGears.

Anyone have experience with these? http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-latigo-waterproof-rr-boot

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I was looking at the Kathmandu boots, but they're apparently identical to the Bilt ADV boot save the buckle vs. velcro straps. Not sure whether that's an endorsement of the Bilt's or a knock on the FirstGears.

Anyone have experience with these? http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-latigo-waterproof-rr-boot

90% of the time it's helmets, but this is how Bilt (Cyclegear) generally works: take a piece of gear>go to the factory where its built>have said factory make the exact same item with the Bilt name on it rather than the OEM's name. The biggest difference is going to be changes in design (vents on helmets, velcro instead of boot buckles, etc).Voila: something you can sell for half off, six months out of the year and still get a 60% markup on. Case in point: Bell Revolver and Bilt Solar helmets.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 27, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I thought only full on race boots and off road boots were fully stiff side-to-side and that the middle ground touring type boots were more flexible. Am I wrong?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I have a big weird head, and I have to buy helmets at a local place to guarantee a good, comfortable fit. XXL Shoei fits great, XXL Skorpion/Icon/Arai is at least one size too small for me.

Aw man don't say that. I just ordered one those closeout Scorpion's and my only helmet so far was a Shoei XXL.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

I thought only full on race boots and off road boots were fully stiff side-to-side and that the middle ground touring type boots were more flexible. Am I wrong?

These are strong middle ground boots. There are not many.

Dainese Torque
Sidi ST
Side Adventure

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

They are more flexible but neither my cheap (<$100) 10 year old Oxtar boots nor my Bates (non-motorcycle) duty boots flex that much.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

A handful of people here are way hung up on the fact that not every boot is a depleted uranium shell that protects your ankles from errant neutrons as well as crashes. In my opinion, a good touring boot is allowed to have some ankle flex. When a leg is in the boot, the boot resists ankle snappage in ways that it does not when no legs are in the boot.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Galler posted:

They are more flexible but neither my cheap (<$100) 10 year old Oxtar boots nor my Bates (non-motorcycle) duty boots flex that much.

If you can bend them over at the ankle, they flex too much.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It doesn't really matter what you were doing when you crash, only thing that counts is how protective your gear is.

Besides, if your gear is good enough to keep you out of an ambulance, it just paid for itself 10x over.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Also, if your insurance is worth a poo poo, they will reimburse you for any damaged gear.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Safety Dance posted:

A handful of people here are way hung up on the fact that not every boot is a depleted uranium shell that protects your ankles from errant neutrons as well as crashes. In my opinion, a good touring boot is allowed to have some ankle flex. When a leg is in the boot, the boot resists ankle snappage in ways that it does not when no legs are in the boot.

Good point. I crashed a few years ago wearing my Oxtar Infinity's and although they bend and flex a fair amount, my ankle leg got twisted under the bike during the crash and I credit them with causing would could've been a bad sprain or break to just moderate soreness.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Price aside, are Harley-Davidson boots at least decent riding boots?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Just going on looks, it looks like you could get a more protective boot for the same money, but it looks like they'd do ok in most road-speed accidents you're likely to face.

e. Their more performance oriented boots, e.g. the Tyson or FXRG-3, that is.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Safety Dance posted:

While this is true, the boots in that picture are called the "Trackstar" and marketed as a track day or sport riding boot.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

Pope Mobile posted:

While this is true, the boots in that picture are called the "Trackstar" and marketed as a track day or sport riding boot.

Does anyone own a supermoto suit? My current suit squishes the manly (not really) parts when I ride upright. Just wondering if it's worth buying a separate suit for that kind of riding, and also what are some decent ones to look at.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A well fitting suit should minimize that problem - but it can be very hard to actually find a decent fitting suit, leading to all kinds of compromises.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Coredump posted:

Aw man don't say that. I just ordered one those closeout Scorpion's and my only helmet so far was a Shoei XXL.

For what its worth I tried a EXO500 XXL and it fit okay - I could feel more pressure on my forehead than I wanted, and that was where I had problems with my HJC so I went with the Shoei. You'll probably be okay - let me know how the 750 feels in comparison with Shoei XXL, I was thinking of grabbing one as a backup.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I just ordered a pair of Handroids on STG's clearance, XL. Trip report to come as soon as I get them. http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6957

Looks like pretty much the whole line is on clearance, don't know if new models are coming out or Knox is getting out of the glove biz. Either way I've had my eye on these. The cheaper options look really nice too, but I'm shamelessly in it to show off as well as protect.

Really wanted the all blacks, but they only have XS, small, and XXL

Edit: VVV uhhh hmmm, oh well. If his finger took that much damage it probably was hosed with or without the piece there. Sorta like the steel toe boot "it'll cut your toes off" argument. If that much force is going to crush the steel, your toes are hosed anyway.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I had my eye on those too. I googled the name on a whim and like the third link was from a guy that lowsided in em - of the plastic farkles on the fingers cut up his pinky so bad, he had to have it amputated. :stonklol: