Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, it's just a matter of whether the employees have joined and are paying dues or not. At my last agency about 60% of the employees in our field offices weren't in a bargaining unit, but they got extended the benefits that the bargaining employees negotiated for out of convenience (and as a way to reduce more employees from joining).

Join the union!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah, it's just a matter of whether the employees have joined and are paying dues or not. At my last agency about 60% of the employees in our field offices weren't in a bargaining unit, but they got extended the benefits that the bargaining employees negotiated for out of convenience (and as a way to reduce more employees from joining).

Join the union!

No, some positions are bargaining unit eligible and others are not. Bargaining eligible employees can choose not to join a union but lots of positions are completely ineligible. The method for determining which positions are is complicated but this article gives some details:
https://www.federaltimes.com/manage...gaining%20unit.

A group of employees can petition to form a union but you may not be allowed to.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Oh, whoops yeah I misunderstood that post completely. I thought it was referring to BU jobs that weren’t in a union. Sorry.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Well I finally heard back about the patent office thing. They said I do meet the eligibility qualifications but I’m not a top candidate so they’re not considering me for the role.

Based on that, do I need to apply for future openings? Or since they already reviewed my application and found I’m eligible do they keep me on file?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Well I finally heard back about the patent office thing. They said I do meet the eligibility qualifications but I’m not a top candidate so they’re not considering me for the role.

Based on that, do I need to apply for future openings? Or since they already reviewed my application and found I’m eligible do they keep me on file?

You need to rework your resume and refile. You have effectively been trash binned because you didn't hit all the rubric points.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

You need to rework your resume and refile. You have effectively been trash binned because you didn't hit e on every question.

Fixed for clarity

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Any suggestions for entry level of some kind? I'm trying to find work / possibly pivot while television work as completely dried up.

I'm a 2d compositor with well over a decade of experience, but I know there isn't a high demand for that in government work.

I have an MFA and bachelors. I'm just trying to find something to keep my lights on at this point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IRS is always hiring!

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/774359900

Remote GS14 0028 for the Federal Railroad Commission… what a dream.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

wolfs posted:

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/774359900

Remote GS14 0028 for the Federal Railroad Commission… what a dream.

"Many vacancies" :eyepop:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Wonder if I could trick them to hire me. I'm a 14 equivalent but I'm sure I'll be in the office 5 days a week within two years...

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

IRS is always hiring!

Thanks

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

IRS is always hiring!

Not here for some reason.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, if you just need a keep-the-lights-on job and are willing to do clerical or data-entry work, the IRS always needs warm bodies; the pay's pretty bad (I think clerical/data entry will start you at GS-4 with a bachelor's), but the benefits are good, and you'll get your foot in the door to internal applications for higher-level positions. I'm not sure what an MFA does for you, but with a bachelor's alone you'd also have a shot at a tax-examiner position that would start higher and have a better ladder, and also be more intellectually stimulating work if that's something that matters to you. (And if you can't get a TE job right off the street, a successful year in data entry or clerical will almost certainly get you in the door -- this may have changed in the interim, but when I got in doing data entry in 2018, they were pushing hard for anyone with a modicum of interest in advancement to apply for TE.)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Maybe that's why I never heard back, no bachelor's.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There are plenty of folks in my IRS call site without any college. This GS-05 job does not require a post-secondary degree to tell callers their amended return is delayed, their return is under review for questionable tax credits claimed, or to do addition and subtraction. If you've ever been in any customer-facing job before, you can do this job. They don't even interview you, a computer spits out a tentative offer email within a few months if you pass the screener.

Make sure to answer all questions on the application with answer E (or sometimes A, read the question and answers first). You want to make it look like to the computer filter that you are the best person to have ever lived and smartest and most qualified person ever. I had to take an additional aptitude screener, and although the questions may be different from the usual variety of big box store aptitude screeners, you treat it the same way and answer with the best possible choice you can.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

There are plenty of folks in my IRS call site without any college. This GS-05 job does not require a post-secondary degree to tell callers their amended return is delayed, their return is under review for questionable tax credits claimed, or to do addition and subtraction. If you've ever been in any customer-facing job before, you can do this job. They don't even interview you, a computer spits out a tentative offer email within a few months if you pass the screener.

Make sure to answer all questions on the application with answer E (or sometimes A, read the question and answers first). You want to make it look like to the computer filter that you are the best person to have ever lived and smartest and most qualified person ever. I had to take an additional aptitude screener, and although the questions may be different from the usual variety of big box store aptitude screeners, you treat it the same way and answer with the best possible choice you can.

Good to know. I will try again! And follow the title thread, maybe I hosed up somewhere in the application.

Or the position wasn't the right one, there's only one call center near me and I applied like last summer.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Not sure that E or A answer thing lined up with what I saw on the application but I'll keep that in mind moving forward.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Vishass posted:

Not sure that E or A answer thing lined up with what I saw on the application but I'll keep that in mind moving forward.

I remember taking another pre-employment screener when I applied in December 2021. The questions weren't exactly like you would get if you were applying to a Walmart, but my reading of the screener was to treat it the same way and answer with the best answer and not the one I would do in the given situation.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You mean those loving unicru tests?

I like to find the dude that made that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cowslips Warren posted:

You mean those loving unicru tests?

I like to find the dude that made that.

It's more like a screener that asks you to self-certify how well you meet each of the requirements. There's not really upside to being 'honest' and rating yourself as a medium, because it's used as a screener to throw applicants out before the HR drone reads your resume.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Star Man posted:

I remember taking another pre-employment screener when I applied in December 2021. The questions weren't exactly like you would get if you were applying to a Walmart, but my reading of the screener was to treat it the same way and answer with the best answer and not the one I would do in the given situation.

I applied to another one this morning and I did get the 20 multiple choice questions where one answer is I'm God's Gift to whatever topic they were asking about. My previous applications only had one or two questions like that.

I got another one that was inscrutable because it was basically a vibes check and the correct answer sure seems unknowable since it depends on your future supervisor 's management style.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I just accepted a GS-14 level position as a digital electronics designer for Army Futures Command to be part of public facing research into a jam-proof and spoof-proof replacement for GPS for position, nav, and time function. Non-managerial work is there in the federal workforce at the high level if you look in the right places!

I’ve been posting in this thread since 2012 when I was getting sick of private sector engineering jobs working me like a slave and then laying me off, and the other posters helped me get my first fed gig as a GS-7 to 12 ladder back then. Got more help here in 2015 and 2016 to find places in the government to actually do technical engineering work. Initially I took a pay cut to do it as a GS-11.

And now I can be a 14 with all the federal benefits and get paid to play with toys and help develop new cutting edge tech. What a dream! This thread has been a fantastic companion every step of the way. Wild to think that it’s been here for me the whole time to help get my foot in the door, through a mid-career, all the way to now advanced career. Thank you, fed goons.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
I just got a grade increase for a position I started last year and only went down one step in my new grade. Is that normal? Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I always thought it was two steps down when you go up a grade. (And my career ladder skips a grade, so if anything I was prepared for it to be more.)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

They take your old grade and step and add 2 steps to it. Then they put you on the lowest step in your new grade that pays at least that much.

It’s odd to only go down one step, though. Do you happen to be on a special salary table?

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

TheMadMilkman posted:

They take your old grade and step and add 2 steps to it. Then they put you on the lowest step in your new grade that pays at least that much.

It’s odd to only go down one step, though. Do you happen to be on a special salary table?

Nah, just the regular GS scale.

That definitely doesn't line up with my new grade/step, though. If they took my old grade/step and added 2 steps, it'd be about $7000 less than my current salary based on my locality's pay tables. And if they put me in the lowest step for my new grade that pays at least that much, that would still be about $4000 less.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Post details and locality area so we can troubleshoot. You go to the step just above whatever is 2 steps over your current grade.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Justus posted:

I just accepted a GS-14 level position as a digital electronics designer for Army Futures Command to be part of public facing research into a jam-proof and spoof-proof replacement for GPS for position, nav, and time function. Non-managerial work is there in the federal workforce at the high level if you look in the right places!

I’ve been posting in this thread since 2012 when I was getting sick of private sector engineering jobs working me like a slave and then laying me off, and the other posters helped me get my first fed gig as a GS-7 to 12 ladder back then. Got more help here in 2015 and 2016 to find places in the government to actually do technical engineering work. Initially I took a pay cut to do it as a GS-11.

And now I can be a 14 with all the federal benefits and get paid to play with toys and help develop new cutting edge tech. What a dream! This thread has been a fantastic companion every step of the way. Wild to think that it’s been here for me the whole time to help get my foot in the door, through a mid-career, all the way to now advanced career. Thank you, fed goons.

That's awesome, congrats! That sounds genuinely interesting. Sometimes I wish I had gone into engineering way back in undergrad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Post details and locality area so we can troubleshoot. You go to the step just above whatever is 2 steps over your current grade.

Yeah, this. If it's an error, it's NOT in your favor and you will end up getting a debt letter when they correct it, so better to get in front of it to minimize it.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I've occasionally seen people get a quality step increase in conjunction with a promotion as well but OP would probably know if that had happened.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Treasury just sent out an all employees email saying we are to be back in the office at least 50% of the time starting in May. Not sure how that squares with the union contract (doesn't matter for me since I am an NBU position), or the existing 10+ years of frequent telework meaning 2 days per pay period. Not to mention we don't have room for that many people in most office since we have been rolling out hoteling for years. Oh yeah or the people who have arranged their lives the last several years around NOT going to the office that much. Should be interesting!

Oh we just got a follow up email that it only affects employees in DC for now LMFAO

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Same for SSA, they're forcing everyone back 2-3 days minimum depending on component, I guess what was supposed to be a union agreement through 2025 still ultimately ended up being "until some political appointee wanted to look good to Congressional shitheads."

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Our USCIS office is moving into a smaller workplace. There are a thousand of us and room for like 200 in the new facility.

When asked about it yesterday, we got "well, this is what we're doing and we'll cross that bridge when it comes to it."

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

7-9-11-12 career ladder. I went from GS 7, step 4, to GS 9, step 3. Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown locality.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heated game moment posted:

Treasury just sent out an all employees email saying we are to be back in the office at least 50% of the time starting in May. Not sure how that squares with the union contract (doesn't matter for me since I am an NBU position), or the existing 10+ years of frequent telework meaning 2 days per pay period. Not to mention we don't have room for that many people in most office since we have been rolling out hoteling for years. Oh yeah or the people who have arranged their lives the last several years around NOT going to the office that much. Should be interesting!

Oh we just got a follow up email that it only affects employees in DC for now LMFAO

I was in the office today so heard the very audible "WTF?????" when that email went out, lol. Our office has been trying to hire like crazy, already running out of space for new people, frantically trying to cram more people into previously hoteling desks and conference rooms. I think the manager who has been trying to deal with the space issue almost poo poo himself.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Atahualpa posted:

7-9-11-12 career ladder. I went from GS 7, step 4, to GS 9, step 3. Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown locality.

I'm not the best at calculating this, but I don't see why they wouldn't have made you a 9 step 1, per the a two-step rule:

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/pay-administration/fact-sheets/promotions/

GS 7 step 6 is still less than gs 9 step 1, so they wouldn't need to bump you up any more steps.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Atahualpa posted:

I think they screwed up and looked at the GS-8 line instead of the GS-9. The 2 step rule would have made you a GS-8 Step 3. You should definitely be at GS-9 Step 1.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I think they screwed up and looked at the GS-8 line instead of the GS-9. The 2 step rule would have made you a GS-8 Step 3. You should definitely be at GS-9 Step 1.

Seconded. Id have them audit because they will eventually find the error. You'd rather that happen now rather than 12 pay periods later.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Leviathan Song posted:

I've occasionally seen people get a quality step increase in conjunction with a promotion as well but OP would probably know if that had happened.

If you have good HR people (laugh), they'll space them out so a qsi hits right before or after a promotion so you get an extra boost. I got 2 qsis and it worked for me until I hit my head on the pay ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Seconded. Id have them audit because they will eventually find the error. You'd rather that happen now rather than 12 pay periods later.

To be clear, I'm going to do this regardless of the answer. But out of curiosity, what would the consequences be if I didn't? I would have assumed just paying back the overpayment plus interest, but from some of the reactions here, I'm getting the sense it would be more severe.