Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

The distance threshold for receiving a revenant punch is pretty tiny, if I remember right. You have to basically be touching them at the time they try to attack.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Revenant
"When a revenant is within 196 units of its target, it will resort to its punching attack, unless attacked and hurt, where it counter-attacks with a missile."

Not sure how this works out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Bouchacha posted:

"When a revenant is within 196 units of its target, it will resort to its punching attack, unless attacked and hurt, where it counter-attacks with a missile."

I'm guessing it means that within that range it'll try to rush you down. It also looks like it means you back the gently caress up when you blast it with an SSG.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bouchacha posted:

Well that explains why I'm so god drat bad at baiting them into punching me.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Yeah I was wondering why they were shooting point-blank rockets into my face. Kind of a big oversight by that pro-strat video.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Seems like the counterattack happens only when it does a passion chance animation. Good to know!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Starhawk64 posted:

Why was Serious Sam 2 considered awful? I played and had a fun time. Granted, it was dumbed down and not as awesome as TFE and TSE, and way much more goofier.

I think the most common complaints are the "cartoonishness" of it, the humor that fell flat for a lot of people, and the bland shooting mechanics. For me, the cartoonishness wasn't all bad--I definitely like exotic locales and colorful enemies and weapons--but the way many SS2 enemies just sort of farted out of existence when they "died" made the weapons feel especially underwhelming. In TFE/TSE HD, by comparison, sawing a Gnaar in half with a chainsaw (or literally blasting a hole in their face with a shotgun) feels considerably more satisfying, as does dusting a Kleer with a point-blank coach gun, or hearing that crisp electrical whir when you tag a Biomechanoid with a rocket, or nailing a charging werebull and watching its corpse violently tumble under its own momentum. There's blood and sparks and guts and some sense of weight to corpses that was largely absent in SS2.

Humor, whatever. I could take it or leave it, but it doesn't really affect the mechanics or my enjoyment of the game. The weapons on the other hand (and I've said this a zillion times before) left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't feel the arsenal, as a whole, was balanced particularly well, and some of the weapons looked and acted like stupid Willy-Wonkaesque contraptions that didn't convey any sort of power to me. I want the satisfying ca-chunk of racking a well-worn wood-and-gunmetal shotgun when I kill something, not this ridiculous Nerf gun with 10 rotating barrels and zero recoil. Same thing with the double-barreled shotgun, which doesn't look or produce any sort of violent feedback that says "you're dumping two barrels of buckshot into something right now"...it just sort of coughs them out without any recoil while the gun dejectedly loads two more shells into the breach. Sometimes corpses will get thrown back, but it's still deeply unsatisfying because it feels less like the weapon is powerful and more like the corpse is weightless. Even the akimbo Uzis seemed pretty anemic compared to TFE/TSE's Tommy Gun.

Of course not all of the weapons were bad, and my complaints are mostly subjective (and compared to the HD versions of Serious Sam, rather than the originals, which might be unfair). But the combination of enemies frequently and immediately disappearing in a puff of green/red/blue mist, and weapons that politely killed their targets, made the most important mechanic of the game--killing things--ring really hollow to me. It didn't feel like I was physically destroying waves of bad guys so much as "tagging" them with a silly gun and then them neatly dying.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 17, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Not sure if it was posted last month, but I just found this co-op run through of Doom 1 episode 1 with John Romero giving commentary and found it pretty interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86PwuzyxlY

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

I think Doom monsters always prefer their ranged attack over their melee when countering after being hit, regardless of distance.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Woolie Wool posted:

I think Doom monsters always prefer their ranged attack over their melee when countering after being hit, regardless of distance.

I didn't even know counterattacking was a thing before today :eng99:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I hate how many Doom wads require you to know how to bait revenants.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

I hate how many Doom wads require you to know how to bait revenants.

Noob. Everyone knows how to bait revenants.

Especially people who have been playing Doom for more than 10 years.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I didn't even know counterattacking was a thing before today :eng99:

It's pretty ridiculous how nuanced Doom is. I learned a few months ago that it's possible for biosuits to be "leaky" and have a small chance to allow nukage damage through per tick.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's pretty ridiculous how nuanced Doom is. I learned a few months ago that it's possible for biosuits to be "leaky" and have a small chance to allow nukage damage through per tick.

Wh... what?!

Also what is this counter-attacking thing?

I hate Revenants, most annoying enemy in btsx, and very common.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

victrix posted:

Wh... what?!
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Damaging_floor

victrix posted:

Also what is this counter-attacking thing?
:spergin:
When enemies take damage, this function is called:
code:
void
P_DamageMobj
( mobj_t*	target,
  mobj_t*	inflictor,
  mobj_t*	source,
  int 		damage )
{

<horribly formatted code>

<blah blah blah stuff>

<lots of hacks>

if ( (P_Random () < target->info->painchance)
	 && !(target->flags&MF_SKULLFLY) )
    {
	target->flags |= MF_JUSTHIT;	// fight back!

P_SetMobjState (target, target->info->painstate);
    }

<more ugliness>
}
So, the damaged monster is flagged as having been "just hit" and put in its pain chance.

Now when the monster tries to attack, it starts by checking whether you are within range of its missile attacks to retaliate. This is done by this function:
code:
boolean P_CheckMissileRange (mobj_t* actor)
{
    fixed_t	dist;

if (! P_CheckSight (actor, actor->target) )
	return false;

if ( actor->flags & MF_JUSTHIT )
    {
	// the target just hit the enemy,
	// so fight back!
	actor->flags &= ~MF_JUSTHIT;
	return true;
    }
<hacky code which I'm snipping>
}
Notice the presence of our friend the "just hit" flag? If it is set, the monster considers that yes, it is in missile range, and unsets the flag.

Now the thing is, for most monsters, the melee and the missile attack are the same. (Or it only has a melee attack, like the demon/spectre, or it only has missile attacks, like the zombies, mancubus, spiders, etc.) The imp's attack uses the same animation and the same code regardless of whether it's clawing you or hadokening you: the imp's attack function will do a range check on its own (independently of the range check made by the AI to know whether it can attack or not), and will adjust to a fireball or a scratch depending on that. So, if you hurt an imp point-blank-range, it'll start a missile attack, but it'll end up being a melee attack anyway. Same for the barons/hell knights and cacodemons.

The revenant, on the other hand, is unique in that it has a different melee attack from its missile attack. The animations are different and the attack functions are different also. So when it starts a missile attack, it stays a missile attack. And that's why when you hurt a revenant, it'll retaliate with a point-blank missile instead of attempting to punch you. If the revenant hasn't been pained, though, there's this bit of code later down the line (still in the missile range function) which enters play:
code:
    if (actor->type == MT_UNDEAD)
    {
	if (dist < 196)	
	    return false;	// close for fist attack
	dist >>= 1;
    }
This is here just to make the revenant's missile attempt fail if it's close enough. Since the missile attempt fails, it then tries a melee attempt. Other monsters don't have that.
:goonsay:

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 17, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I love how we're still reading the tea leaves into Doom code 20 years down the line

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

I love how we're still reading the tea leaves into Doom code 20 years down the line

More distressing is the best selling video game series of all time is running off 15 year old carmack quake 3 code :eng99:

Where have all the code wizards gone

(actually that's not entirely true, there are some other nice engines/companies out there doing good 3d work, but I like to whine)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

victrix posted:

More distressing is the best selling video game series of all time is running off 15 year old carmack quake 3 code :eng99:

Wait, what's this about? Are you referring to the Source engine? Its ancestor is actually the first Quake engine, not the third. It's older. :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Wait, what's this about? Are you referring to the Source engine? Its ancestor is actually the first Quake engine, not the third. It's older. :v:

Call of Duty - it's still running on Quake 3 tech

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Call of Duty's engine is still technically Quake 3 based, but I doubt there's actually that much Quake 3 code left beyond the very simplest functions like binding keys.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cat Mattress posted:

Now when the monster tries to attack, it starts by checking whether you are within range of its missile attacks to retaliate. This is done by this function:
code:
boolean P_CheckMissileRange (mobj_t* actor)
{
    fixed_t	dist;

if (! P_CheckSight (actor, actor->target) )
	return false;

if ( actor->flags & MF_JUSTHIT )
    {
	// the target just hit the enemy,
	// so fight back!
	actor->flags &= ~MF_JUSTHIT;
	return true;
    }
<hacky code which I'm snipping>
}
Notice the presence of our friend the "just hit" flag? If it is set, the monster considers that yes, it is in missile range, and unsets the flag.

Now the thing is, for most monsters, the melee and the missile attack are the same. (Or it only has a melee attack, like the demon/spectre, or it only has missile attacks, like the zombies, mancubus, spiders, etc.) The imp's attack uses the same animation and the same code regardless of whether it's clawing you or hadokening you: the imp's attack function will do a range check on its own (independently of the range check made by the AI to know whether it can attack or not), and will adjust to a fireball or a scratch depending on that. So, if you hurt an imp point-blank-range, it'll start a missile attack, but it'll end up being a melee attack anyway. Same for the barons/hell knights and cacodemons.

The revenant, on the other hand, is unique in that it has a different melee attack from its missile attack. The animations are different and the attack functions are different also. So when it starts a missile attack, it stays a missile attack. And that's why when you hurt a revenant, it'll retaliate with a point-blank missile instead of attempting to punch you. If the revenant hasn't been pained, though, there's this bit of code later down the line (still in the missile range function)

Oh that's really cool man, thanks for the breakdown.

I love the smell of Doom code in the morning. Mmmm, good old fashioned C.

victrix posted:

Where have all the code wizards gone

(actually that's not entirely true, there are some other nice engines/companies out there doing good 3d work, but I like to whine)

Yeah, and Quake 3 is still written in C, not C++ ( much less modern fancy poo poo like C#) I can't even imagine developing for call of duty :psyduck:

Source is pretty ancient too, although I'm pretty sure they did a huge rewrite from goldsrc, so saying its based on Quake 2 isn't really accurate.

That said, most games use Unreal these days which is a pretty modern and well done engine. Frostbite and Crytek are pretty slick too.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 17, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

victrix posted:

Call of Duty - it's still running on Quake 3 tech

Hah, I had no idea! Looks like Valve aren't the only ones still nursing the remains of old idTech engines.

Segmentation Fault posted:

:stare: I don't recall ever experiencing this in either Doom or Doom II, but it happened several times when I played through D2twiD. I thought the map makers somehow screwed something up. I didn't realize it was hard-coded in the engine.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I've found it pretty effective to run right up to a Revenant, unload the SSG into his face to try and get it to punch you instead of fire a rocket, run backwards while reloading in case it fires, repeat. Gotta make sure you don't run right up in his face when he is about to fire though or you're gonna have a less than optimal experience obviously.

This also works for Barons and Hell Knights but their fireballs are really easy to dodge even in a relatively cramped hallway so it's not really needed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Hah, I had no idea! Looks like Valve aren't the only ones still nursing the remains of old idTech engines.

Stop saying this, its not true.

Goldsrc was based on quakeworld quake 2, but they changed most of the engine themselves other than the netcode.

Then Source has almost nothing to do with goldsrc. Goldsrc was C. Source is C++.

Not to mention Valve have updated Source dramatically over the years, the Orange Box build could be considered Source 2 and we're effectively on Source 3 now with HDR, DoF, dynamic lighting and self-shadowing, multiple dynamic lights per actor, Its gone from Dx 9 to Dx 10, facial animations, real-time physics, cinematic physics, inverse kinematics...

Nothing in Source comes from idTech except maybe BSPs, which were hardly invented by Carmack. And the current implementation is completely different from what was in Quake.

You could at most say that Source has some legacy design from Quake. That's it. I doubt there's any code that's still around from quake in the source engine.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

If you're into retro engine Inception, Titanfall (that game by ex-Call of Duty dudes) is a heavily rewritten Source engine. Game tech gets pretty incestuous the higher up you go!

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Zaphod42 posted:

Not to mention Valve have updated Source dramatically over the years, the Orange Box build could be considered Source 2 and we're effectively on Source 3 now with HDR, DoF, dynamic lighting and self-shadowing, multiple dynamic lights per actor, Its gone from Dx 9 to Dx 10, facial animations, real-time physics, cinematic physics, inverse kinematics...

Does Source have Depth of Field? I think maybe the source filmmaker does but I've never seen it in a game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

Stop saying this, its not true remotely.

Yes. I know Source is extremely far-removed from id Tech 1 and has maybe only one or two lines, if any, of code in common. It's still descended from it, though. GoldSrc basically a hodgepodge of modified id Tech code:

Gabe Newell posted:

We have the source code to the original DOS Quake, Win Quake, GL Quake, Quake World, Quake II, and all of the various patches. We pick and choose from that source base depending on what we are trying to do. However, we've been implementing a lot of our own sub-systems (animation, AI, GL and software renderer), so about 75% of the engine is our own code.

Source is also pretty far-removed from GoldSrc, but still used plenty of elements from it.

John Carmack posted:

there are still bits of early Quake code in Half-Life 2

Those bits of code are probably long gone, but that doesn't change the engine's history.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's sometimes fun to make dumb exaggerated jokes about video games and hope Internet sperglords don't get mad at you for it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 17, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

StickFigs posted:

Does Source have Depth of Field? I think maybe the source filmmaker does but I've never seen it in a game.

It may just be filmmaker, yeah. Although that counts as part of the engine :) but I don't think any games do, which is interesting. And odd.

I guess Source's DOF is inefficient and only suitable for pre-rendered video? IDK.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Kins posted:

If you're into retro engine Inception, Titanfall (that game by ex-Call of Duty dudes) is a heavily rewritten Source engine. Game tech gets pretty incestuous the higher up you go!

Core engine has a huge impact on how much I like a game. I always preferred Quake's 'heavier' feel to Source's 'floatier' feel, and Unreal was kind of in the middle (varied heavily based on dev and engine iteration).

These days with a lot of other engines floating around its even harder to figure out where a given fps came from dna wise (Techland has Chrome, Far Cry 2/3 use Dunia?, there's Crytek, Flying Wild Hog has the Road Hog engine, Dice's frostbite of course). And there are other outliers that aren't strictly fps engines - I think the Witcher was modified NWN, and god only knows what the Witcher 3 is now.

No lie, one of the reasons I played Call of Duty so much was its tight tie to Quake 3's feel. So many other multiplayer games feel subtly wrong to me just because of the core movement and response time (Halo, blech).

The dev matters a lot as well. I'm sure Respawn care deeply about 60fps, low latency, and high responsiveness - something a good number of mp devs do not seem to understand at all.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess Source's DOF is inefficient and only suitable for pre-rendered video?
Valve's implementation is, yeah. Modders have done their own implementations with their own limitations.

victrix posted:

These days with a lot of other engines floating around its even harder to figure out where a given fps came from dna wise (Techland has Chrome, Far Cry 2/3 use Dunia?, there's Crytek, Flying Wild Hog has the Road Hog engine, Dice's frostbite of course). And there are other outliers that aren't strictly fps engines - I think the Witcher was modified NWN, and god only knows what the Witcher 3 is now.
IIRC Dunia is a heavily modified CryEngine 1. The Witcher 2 and 3 use an original CDP-made engine with no NWN ties called REDengine‎.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

victrix posted:

No lie, one of the reasons I played Call of Duty so much was its tight tie to Quake 3's feel. So many other multiplayer games feel subtly wrong to me just because of the core movement and response time (Halo, blech).

That's not necessarily the engine. Halo, for instance, is exactly that way on purpose. Because Halo is for consoles. If you just port a PC shooter to console, its meh. But if you design one for console, like Halo, it sells loving gangbusters. Remember console shooters before Halo? Ports of Unreal Tournament and whatnot? We didn't even have the twin stick controls fully figured out for a long time, remember Goldeneye?

Halo does so, so much right about game design I don't even know where to begin.

If you're saying you don't like how Halo PC feels, well, yeah, its rushed port job. But if you don't like Halo on xbox I don't know what to tell you, other than you should stick to mouse and keyboard.

Now, it may be that most games in those engines feel the same, but that'd be because the devs were lazy and just used the existing FPS code, or because they copied other games in that engine. If you can make an RTS or a racing game in the Unreal engine, you can definitely modify it to feel more 'floaty' or not.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Now, it may be that most games in those engines feel the same, but that'd be because the devs were lazy and just used the existing FPS code, or because they copied other games in that engine. If you can make an RTS or a racing game in the Unreal engine, you can definitely modify it to feel more 'floaty' or not.
To be fair, apparently you pretty much have to fight UDK with a knife if you don't want to make a first person action game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's nothing inherently *wrong* with using old code if it does everything you need it to do quickly and reliably. Any new code creation has the potential to introduce bugs and the older a steadily maintained codebase is the less bugs are still left in it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zaphod42 posted:

We didn't even have the twin stick controls fully figured out for a long time, remember Goldeneye?

The Nintendo64 controller didn't even have two sticks.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

victrix posted:

I think the Witcher was modified NWN, and god only knows what the Witcher 3 is now.

Witcher was NWN, Witcher 2 is REDEngine, CDProjekt's in-house, and Witcher 3 is REDEngine 3

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Nintendo64 controller didn't even have two sticks.
Goleneye still had dual-stick control options, using two controllers.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Kins posted:

Goleneye still had dual-stick control options, using two controllers.

How the gently caress would you even pull this off.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

How the gently caress would you even pull this off.
You held both controllers by the centre prong. P2's analog stick replaced the C-Pad for aiming, the two Z triggers acted as aim and fire buttons. Though you still needed to use A and B to reload or change weapon, which kind of sucked.

AGDQ this year had a "co-op" speedrun that used this so one player moved and the other aimed and shot. It was shockingly impresive!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The Kins posted:

You held both controllers by the centre prong. P2's analog stick replaced the C-Pad for aiming, the two Z triggers acted as aim and fire buttons. Though you still needed to use A and B to reload or change weapon, which kind of sucked.

AGDQ this year had a "co-op" speedrun that used this so one player moved and the other aimed and shot. It was shockingly impresive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9TQoG_RSmQ
I love how crazy the chat gets anytime the speed runner goes "YEAH BAYBEE"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

We didn't even have the twin stick controls fully figured out for a long time, remember Goldeneye?

The one-stick control schemes of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Quake 64 were very intuitive and fluid, which is especially true for the two Rare shooters. Doom 64 was pretty good, if you want to count that too, but it's a bit simpler considering there's no Y-axis aming to worry about. The Iguana games (Turok, South Park, and Forsaken) had control schemes that were really cumbersome and left something to be desired. Turok 1 and South Park weren't much of a problem, but Turok 2 and Forsaken required a lot of precise shooting and moving, leaving you wrestling with the controls (not to mention fighting the framerates and awful auto-aim too). I haven't played Turok 3 but I hear it used a more Goldeneye-like control scheme. However that was kind of not anyone's concern because apparently the game turned out poo poo :v:

Really the N64 paved the road for FPS games on consoles. I know someone that had an FPS for the Playstation called Codename: Tenka. I couldn't play that worth poo poo.

The Kins posted:

To be fair, apparently you pretty much have to fight UDK with a knife if you don't want to make a first person action game.

Which is kind of ironic, considering UE3's commercial debut was a third person action game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

This is kinda true and kinda untrue. Its more that its all ready to go to make an FPS but anything else requires you learning some lower level stuff and starting more from scratch.

That said, I haven't toyed with the later versions, so I have no clue about the current state of Unreal modding. (Now UDK)

Mak0rz posted:

The one-stick control schemes of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Quake 64 were very intuitive and fluid, which is especially true for the two Rare shooters. Doom 64 was pretty good, if you want to count that too, but it's a bit simpler considering there's no Y-axis aming to worry about. The Iguana games (Turok, South Park, and Forsaken) had control schemes that were really cumbersome and left something to be desired. Turok 1 and South Park weren't much of a problem, but Turok 2 and Forsaken required a lot of precise shooting and moving, leaving you wrestling with the controls (not to mention fighting the framerates and awful auto-aim too). I haven't played Turok 3 but I hear it used a more Goldeneye-like control scheme. However that was kind of not anyone's concern because apparently the game turned out poo poo :v:

Really the N64 paved the road for FPS games on consoles. I know someone that had an FPS for the Playstation called Codename: Tenka. I couldn't play that worth poo poo.

Uh yeah sure that's all cool but has nothing to do with what we were talking about, so whatever.