Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
How is that not too shocking, hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I've often been bewildered that #MeToo didn't rip through the world of music like a tornado

gotta be so many stories of big time skeevers out there

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I mean it kinda did? There are stories like this about musicians every month. Ryan Adams and Jesse Lacey come to mind.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah.. even a married musician with a positive reputation might succumb to the urge to manipulate their way into sex with an attractive fan or several.

I'm sure that's kind of the overall thing happening here.

This one looks pretty bad, especially with their band image.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hot Diggity! posted:

More like Lose Butler

Also blaming you being a serial sex pest on your wife having a miscarriage great poo poo man

Through that whole article you can almost picture in your head the battle plan drawn up by that crisis PR person he hired. Hide behind the wife, admit to a lesser moral failing, completely rewrite the stories point by point, offer up women who would be happy to defend you, hide behind alcohol/drugs, feign ignorance of any power dynamics, give the people who are looking for a reason to ignore/mistrust these women all sorts of excuses while not ever denigrating your accusers, because your rabid fans will take care of that part. Gross but completely un-shocking.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

All of Win’s comments don’t really help him either. Yikes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It happened in the EDM world with Bassnectar a couple years ago, too. He was fairly high-profile in that scene and was accused of some pretty gross stuff involving children.

I wish my favorite artists would stop doing hosed up poo poo!

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
The Butler brothers were the resident dickhead big musicians when I lived in New Orleans. They'd use their clout to get into pretty hard-to-get-into krewes for Mardi Gras and every other festival. For those outside of the city, krewes are like fraternities (most are co-ed, but there are some female-only ones, majority black ones, a few old anonymous ones, etc.) that make up each group or groups-within-groups during the big festivals throughout the year, like Mardi Gras.

A lot of bands skip over the city since it just doesn't make money for them and it's out of the way as far as planning a tour. It's a huge musical city, but very insular and locals prefer their local musicians. It's not like there's a lack of music of any variety, but the tourists come for jazz and a lot of big fish in a pretty small mid-size city.

A lot of friends were pedicab drivers since it used to be lucrative to ride drunk tourists and celebrities around when they visited. By far the most told story I heard from a few years back living there, most are decent, but it was either Win or Will brought Beck onto a friend's pedicab for a ride around the French Quarter. Gave him exact change and told him "to keep the tip" like a dick. Beck by all accounts was quiet and nice. For someone who lives in the city though it was extra lovely.

Father John Misty apparently lived around me before moving out but he apparently was a recluse and going through a dark period in life regardless of where he was. Nothing douchy, just a hermit and flown under the radar. Wasn't here that long.

Anyone else have resident city rear end in a top hat or particularly nice musicians?

On the flip in NOLA, Juvenile has been giving out free turkeys and Thanksgiving dinner foods for the poor for a few years. He used to coordinate hits and had trouble way back when, but now he's a good guy it seems. The city is poor as hell, so the line was huge to get a big rear end turkey from Juvenile. The other people from that era that were seen as trouble before have all seemed to help the community a lot.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean it kinda did? There are stories like this about musicians every month. Ryan Adams and Jesse Lacey come to mind.

A lot of the Warped Tour bands and emo era a bit after was rife with open secrets that for the most part about underage poo poo without a lot getting hit.

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 27, 2022

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
God, their response is just absolutely loving horrible.

Win's statement is just... even the behavior he admits to is enough to be really terribly creepy. And then he admits that his fame can distort relationships, but everything he did was consensual, and he can't see how those two statements are contradictory.

And then Regine's statement. Ugh. "I know he would never do this." That's why do many people get away with it. People who do monstrous things don't walk around doing terrible things every second of the day. They blend into normal everyday interactions. I'm sorry. But gently caress that poo poo. That's all that needs to be said here.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Of course he ends up being the worst. I'm sure there is much more to come out. And that apology is so bad. Dammit.

Edit: My quote was unnecessary.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 28, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

T Bowl posted:

How is that not too shocking, hm.

yeah fr

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Pissed off at this one. Like having a such a clean image, must have made it that much harder for his victims to come forward. gently caress him. And Regina for backing him up on it. Like that’s a poo poo situation to be in but it’s shittier for his victims.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I wonder if this is why Will left the band very recently. Has to be right?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Confusedslight posted:

I wonder if this is why Will left the band very recently. Has to be right?

I saw rumors floating around earlier in the year that Will had fallen down an alt right rabbit hole, and that was the reason why he left

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
That's the wrong kind of right!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
To revive Mountain Goats chat: the new songs sound great live, super energetic with great sing-along choruses. John has some great stage banter and talked about Yoshi's World at length which the crowd loved.

It's really funny listening to him playing his old songs right after their most recent work. All the old song outros were just the chords of the song played at 1.5 speed and louder.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

To revive Mountain Goats chat: the new songs sound great live, super energetic with great sing-along choruses. John has some great stage banter and talked about Yoshi's World at length which the crowd loved.

It's really funny listening to him playing his old songs right after their most recent work. All the old song outros were just the chords of the song played at 1.5 speed and louder.

John’s stage banter is always fantastic, he’s a super funny and smart guy who can talk for days. I can definitely imagine the new material being very fun live.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is my favorite National song in a really long while. Haven't liked a lot of their previous outings but really digging this

https://twitter.com/TheNational/status/1561745086928412672

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

This Pitchfork article on Win Butler gets worse and worse. What kind of PR team lets comments like "I googled her so I knew she was 18" and " I happened to be near her apartment so I decided to stop by" get published lmao

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

This Pitchfork article on Win Butler gets worse and worse. What kind of PR team lets comments like "I googled her so I knew she was 18" and " I happened to be near her apartment so I decided to stop by" get published lmao

It's loving insane. I feel like their band has to end now, right?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

WE are done

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

T Bowl posted:

It's loving insane. I feel like their band has to end now, right?

I don't think they can pull off a Van Halen or a Journey. I guess the question is do they become a New Order, or a Tantric/Alter Bridge?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

theblackw0lf posted:

This is my favorite National song in a really long while. Haven't liked a lot of their previous outings but really digging this

https://twitter.com/TheNational/status/1561745086928412672

This is good. Thanks!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

pyf cancelled sex-pest tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXpkxFoUWug

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

First new single from the upcoming Arctic Monkeys album The Car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY5CAz6S9kE

Really liking it as a evolution of the TBH&C sound but I know that won't be for everybody

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I wasn’t too big on their last album but this song is a beauty. His voice sounds great

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHPl8TExg8E

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Ratios and Tendency posted:

pyf cancelled sex-pest tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MigfipDmY-0

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

loving hell I loved them too.

Alice Glass is still cool, tho.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/KevFreeburn/status/1564679284488372225?s=20&t=bcZKbZSXlOuEm9rhCvOGBQ

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Well that’s an awkward backstage

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Paperback Writer posted:

Well that’s an awkward backstage

Maybe it already was

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I wonder what her show is like these days. Last time I saw her live, she rearrange all of her songs so that none of them sounded anything like the studio version, and the audience just sat there very confused, and didn't even recognize her biggest hits when she started playing them.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I think its an attempt to frame it as ignorance of ill-intent, just a guy and his, to his mind, consensual groupies and nothing illegal (except one allegation) ever took place. There's no way these are the only four he had sex with in his career, he probably did it regularly, and those ones to his mind are all cool with it or enjoyed it. A recurring theme in the article is the power dynamics issue and that will be the story, as it's never really been touched upon in any strong way, of whether rock stars can ever truly have consent in a modern setting given the divide.

For comparisons point every attempt to cancel David Bowie has failed despite having really strong arguments.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Lid posted:

I think its an attempt to frame it as ignorance of ill-intent, just a guy and his, to his mind, consensual groupies and nothing illegal (except one allegation) ever took place. There's no way these are the only four he had sex with in his career, he probably did it regularly, and those ones to his mind are all cool with it or enjoyed it. A recurring theme in the article is the power dynamics issue and that will be the story, as it's never really been touched upon in any strong way, of whether rock stars can ever truly have consent in a modern setting given the divide.

For comparisons point every attempt to cancel David Bowie has failed despite having really strong arguments.

It all comes down to branding. Bowie was a guy who obviously hosed, Win was supposedly a Wife Guy. So Bowie is just a rockstar and Win is sleazy.

And Win does appear to be really, really sleazy. I obviously don't know either of these people but I still feel sorry for Regine. Even if their marriage is open, it seems like Win spent a lot of his time creeping on young women and not much time raising the kid.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Bowie also did it in a period where it was considered normal and part of the lifestyle. Women were also far less likely to report things and the culture was much more indifferent to it. Because of that, he gets more of a pass in people's minds just like most of the other old rockers.

Today, people will still make the excuse that it's part of the lifestyle, but the culture is so different, internet news and social media reactions to it, easier ability to gain evidence, etc.

The big, big thing here is the branding/image stuff, yes. This band were the indie darlings of progressive mindset, white millennials. Their opinions were respected and considered deep. Now, the band looks totally fake with a creepy drunk cheating sex pest as their frontman, and his gaslit wife as the other main influence of their music and image.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Looking at the Reddit, enough people seem to think it's a "he said/she said" situation that their fans will probably stay with them.

It's disgusting, because when one person says "they were totally flirting with me" and the other says "I wasn't flirting," who do you think is more likely to be correct?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/kinggizzard/status/1565112779006263296

3 albums in 1 month?! :sickos:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Man, they must be slowing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Going back to music and the metoo movement, but I totally forgot about the Growlers getting pegged with it.

The Guardian actually has an article asking why MeToo skipped over the music industry for the most part:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/03/metoo-music-industry-gatekeepers-women-abuse