Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Thai food was the first Asian cuisine to become popular in the USA in (more or less) intact form... and every Thai restaurant I've ever eaten at here is fork and spoon, no sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

For whatever reason, Thais picked up fork usage from the French while their other possessions didn't. Pho places around here generally don't provide forks unless you ask for them, but the clientele here is mostly Vietnamese people. Don't worry, Lotus of Siam keeps some chopsticks around for people who ask for them. They won't judge.

e: Wikipedia says prior to fork use, eating with the hands (India-style) was common. There wasn't a chopstick culture to supplant.

That is interesting. Food as culture is so cool and the "fork v chopsticks" divide is super interesting to me. I am going to train myself to use both at the same time and through this achieve illumination.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

bunnielab posted:

That is interesting. Food as culture is so cool and the "fork v chopsticks" divide is super interesting to me. I am going to train myself to use both at the same time and through this achieve illumination.

I've used two forks as chopsticks before. The novelty wears off pretty drat fast when your stomach growls mid-dinner as everyone else is finishing their plates.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

I've used two forks as chopsticks before. The novelty wears off pretty drat fast when your stomach growls mid-dinner as everyone else is finishing their plates.

It's actually healthier to eat smaller portioned bits at a time.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bartolimu posted:

For whatever reason, Thais picked up fork usage from the French while their other possessions didn't.
The whatever reason was that Rama V more or less announced it. He was following the lead of his predecessor, Rama IV, who basically looked at the fact that various Western powers were colonising the gently caress out of the region and figured the best way for Thailand to cope with this was to modernise the gently caress out of themselves. Sorta like the Meiji Restoration in Japan. This all stuck because whatever the Thais think about the rest of their government, they loving love their monarchy.

And for whatever it's worth, Thais use a fork not the way it's used in the West, but more or less as a serving utensil to load up the spoon, which is what is (mostly) used to convey the food to the mouth.

Chopsticks are essentially unknown. If anything you're less likely to find a random Thai home using chopsticks than you are to find them in the American Midwest, because there's a sort of Cultural Issue at stake there. Like you'll find chopsticks in Thailand in a Chinese restaurant, but that's about it. Ask for chopsticks at a Thai table and you're probably going to get some looks and a lecture a little more arch than the one above. Ask me how I know.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It's funny you mention the Indians. Thai culture and food seem to have really heavy Indian influences. The Thai names sound suspiciously Indian, with some of the names pulling directly from Indian names. The language itself seems to have a fair bit of borrowing from Sanskrit. It makes sense that the Thais would eat with their fingers, and then adopt forks later on.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

By Jove, I've got it! Use chopsticks in one hand and a spork in the other! Hey presto, using chopsticks and a spoon and fork simultaneously! :science:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I am eating a bowl of pho with chopsticks and a spoon. What now motherbitches?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

SubG posted:

Is there some other way of eating a bowl of pho? Chopsticks in right hand, spoon in left, something something Sriracha joke here.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Twirling the noodles with a fork and spoon

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

bartolimu posted:

Is there some other way of eating a bowl of pho? Chopsticks in right hand, spoon in left, something something Sriracha joke here.

I swap hands because I'm a lefty.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

SubG posted:

TBH, I never actually have eaten my pho any other way than with chopsticks and a spoon (and a crapton of the basil/sprouts and 2 lime wedges...)

Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?? :ohdear:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

Thais. Eat. Noodles. With. Chopsticks.

Thou shalt not pass.

Thai people eat street noodles with chopsticks. In a home, everything is eaten with a spoon. A fork is used to put stuff on the spoon.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Disco Salmon posted:

TBH, I never actually have eaten my pho any other way than with chopsticks and a spoon (and a crapton of the basil/sprouts and 2 lime wedges...)

Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?? :ohdear:
You're supposed to pour the pho into an ortolan until it's swollen like a ripe melon and then bite into it with great gusto. The real question is with what you should cover yourself to conceal your shame. Napkin? Towel? Shemagh? Acme 16 tonne weight?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sjurygg posted:

Thais. Eat. Noodles. With. Chopsticks.

Thou shalt not pass.

Obviously actual Thai people know much less about what is authentic than we do.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Welp.

I have to go here for a family meal next month. My grandmother chose this restaurant despite the... interesting website.

Why is every steakhouse terrible and crazy overpriced? We could go to one of the best restaurants in the city, easily, for this price.

QQ

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Welp.

I have to go here for a family meal next month. My grandmother chose this restaurant despite the... interesting website.

Why is every steakhouse terrible and crazy overpriced? We could go to one of the best restaurants in the city, easily, for this price.

QQ
$32 for a pound of 35-day dry-aged ribeye is a very good deal, given that I haven't ever seen that sort of thing sold for less than $25 a pound.

That's assuming that their angus reserve thingy being "better than prime" isn't totally full of poo poo, which may be a tall order.

Although grilled over an open flame - weird.

(as an aside: I hosed up about four pounds of some really good ribeye a month and a half ago by hideously overcooking it. When does the shame go away?)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 19, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

No Wave posted:

$32 for a pound of 35-day dry-aged ribeye is a very good deal, given that I haven't ever seen that sort of thing sold for less than $25 a pound.

That's assuming that their angus reserve thingy being "better than prime" isn't totally full of poo poo, which may be a tall order.

Although grilled over an open flame - weird.

(as an aside: I hosed up about four pounds of some really good ribeye a month and a half ago by hideously overcooking it. When does the shame go away?)

oh yeah that sounds great.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

barf. I take it back. Order blue new york strip, nothing to lose

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It looks like they boiled that steak and draw lines on it with a soldering iron.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

No Wave posted:

barf. I take it back. Order blue new york strip, nothing to lose

Like, theoretically, I love an awesome steak, but man.

Chemmy posted:

It looks like they boiled that steak and draw lines on it with a soldering iron.

That's how you're supposed to finish a sous-vide steak, isn't it?

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Chef confessed to me today he had been to an in-law wedding rehearsal at the yon Golden Corral. How should I respond?

edit: besides with scorn i already did that!

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 19, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Since he's already been corn fattened I'd suggest getting him to slaughter right away.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

HK5000 posted:

Chef confessed to me today he had been to an in-law wedding rehearsal at the yon Golden Corral. How should I respond?

Show him JonathonSpectre's Golden Corral stories.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Probably pretty good for fideua

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Here in Sweden allt Thai places have chopsticks readily available, probably because Swedes lump all Asian cuisines together.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

HK5000 posted:

Just direct him to the Golden Corral thread in GBS.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Golden Corral is where I go when I want to feel thin and attractive.

(hint: I am neither)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

DekeThornton posted:

Here in Sweden allt Thai places have chopsticks readily available, probably because Swedes lump all Asian cuisines together.

Leading me to having the trigonometrically inversed conversation to this whenever I point out to my friends that they're making asses of themselves trying to eat soupy green curry with chopsticks because they think it's authentic.

Also eating lentils and rice with your fingers is ridiculously difficult to accomplish in a somehow dignified manner, but I'll be damned if it doesn't somehow taste better.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
You're supposed to twirl it with chopsticks you whittle yourself out of papadums you philistine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The McRib of steaks

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

DekeThornton posted:

In the Netherlands(/Holland), we eat Indonesian food and call it Chinese, because that's how we roll...

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Unlike the "Americanization" of Chinese food, I really like the Dutch versions of various cuisines. Amsterdam is a great place to get some shwarma.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Squashy Nipples posted:

Unlike the "Americanization" of Chinese food, I really like the Dutch versions of various cuisines. Amsterdam is a great place to get some shwarma.

That's very true, but real shwarma (or shoarma) places are hard to find nowadays, as they're pretty much completely replaced by doners (not bad either, but I liked the bamboo bowls they served the shoarma pita's in, they made it really easy to let your meat swim in garlic sauce!)

paraquat fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 19, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Gah, I just realized that it's been ten years since I've been there! Yeah, I guess I would have no idea what the grub is like now.

Is the Rijks museum open again?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Squashy Nipples posted:

Gah, I just realized that it's been ten years since I've been there! Yeah, I guess I would have no idea what the grub is like now.

Is the Rijks museum open again?

Yes, it finally opened up again (less then a year ago) and it's absolutely fantastic! :-)

paraquat fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 19, 2014

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I'll eat anything with chopsticks that doesn't require a knife.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Vegetable Melange posted:

I'll eat anything with chopsticks that doesn't require a knife.

Be prepared. Use two knives as chopsticks.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

contrapants posted:

Be prepared. Use two knives as chopsticks.

:aaaaa:

Gonna go grill me a steak guys, call the hospital if I don't post back tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is this where we ask dumb-rear end questions?

I have a dutch oven that I've let linger in a cabinet for over a dang year with an olive-oil coating. So naturally it smells horrible right now and is sticky as all get-out. I'd like to start using it again.

Cleaning: Should I put some palmolive on the bitch and scrub the hell out of it with steel wool, or subject it to a hot oven for an hour, burn the poo poo out of it, and then subject it to the palmolive + steel wool?

And then, I assume, re-season it with a fresh coat of olive oil in a 250-degree oven?