Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The MSJ posted:

And Bay is apparently a Coen brothers fan, judging from a few actors who were in his movies and of course Pain & Gain.

Who isn't a Coen Brothers fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Who isn't a Coen Brothers fan?

I was gonna say.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Me.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Get him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mods ban pls

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

There aren't very many instances of directors putting other directors down these days, I guess it's poor form.

If they're asked a question about someone in the biz they'll say something nice or nothing at all.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

There aren't very many instances of directors putting other directors down these days, I guess it's poor form.

If they're asked a question about someone in the biz they'll say something nice or nothing at all.

That's just people being people though. Or at least not assholes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

It absolutely is. I like Raising Arizona, their True Grit, and Hail Caesar. All their other movies I just can't stand. I've seen all of them too, because a lot of people whose tastes are otherwise similar to my own say 'You have to see this one..." and three times they've been right.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

All Coen Bros. movies require repeated viewing to appreciate.

I didn't like Big Lebowski the first time then I read the script which is a pro click. Man that movie is hilarious.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Barton Fink is too weird for me, but it's so hard to dislike the Coen Brothers' mainstream stuff. True Grit and No Country for Old Men are so plainly compelling.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Yeah. I liked the RDJ Iñárritu beef though.

quote:

So how does Innaritu actually feel about superhero movies? Would he perhaps take one on in the future? Fat chance. In an interview with Deadline last night, the filmmaker railed against the genre, essentially calling it soulless and sounding not too different from Mike Shiner—Ed Norton’s purist character, who also tears into the super hero movies and soulless paycheck gigs.

“I sometimes enjoy them because they are basic and simple and go well with popcorn,” Inarritu explained. “The problem is that sometimes they purport to be profound, based on some Greek mythological kind of thing. And they are honestly very right wing. I always see them as killing people because they do not believe in what you believe, or they are not being who you want them to be. I hate that, and don’t respond to those characters.”

“They have been poison, this cultural genocide,” he added. “Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and poo poo that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”

quote:

The Guardian asked Robert Downey Jr. about the comments, and as per usual, he had a quip ready in his pocket. “Look, I respect the heck out of him [and] for a man whose native tongue is Spanish to be able to put together a phrase like ‘cultural genocide’ just speaks to how bright he is,” the actor retorted.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hail Ceaser loving sucks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Hail Ceaser loving sucks.

Nah Hail, Caesar! is very legit but you kinda have to be a big fan of old-school Hollywood to really appreciate it. Like Burn After Reading, it's a solid 9/10 as opposed to their usual 10/10.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/oshii_on_mt.html

"Porco Rosso-- In short, it's a personal novel (shi shyousetsu).[3] He (Miya-san as Porco?) put on such airs and spoke such flashy lines, posing as a pirate, but that's all self-excusing. I think it would have been good if the ending was such that he took off the pig's head, and Miya-san's face showed up underneath it, (saying) "I'm sorry." I think it would have been a fine film if the hero was a pig who could only say "Oink Oink," but he was very good at air battles. "

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah. I liked the RDJ Iñárritu beef though.

drat, and Downey should know better, his first big break was with Chaplin ffs!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

effectual posted:

drat, and Downey should know better, his first big break was with Chaplin ffs!
well I mean he should've known better re: the whole patronizing racist poo poo but yeah I think he touched on indie movies:

quote:

Chatting with EW, Downey Jr., who spent his comeback back years making a string of smaller movies both at the indie and studio level ("The Singing Detective," "A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints," "A Scanner Darkly," "Charlie Bartlett," "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," "Goodnight And Good Luck"), expressed he has zero desire to go off and make a tiny film, working on a shoestring budget. And he had some very harsh words about that world and being a part of a movie on that level.

“…they’re exhausting and sometimes they suck and then you just go, ‘What was I thinking?’ " Downey Jr. explained about why he wouldn’t sign up for an independent film.

"But I’m interested in doing all different kinds of movies. Sometimes the little movies are the ones that wind up taking the most out of you because they’re like, ‘Hey, man, we’re just running a couple of days behind. Do you think you can stay through your birthday and then come back on the fourth of July. And, by the way, but, like, the crew — can you pay for the craft services? And, oh, by the way, man, when we go to Sundance, it’s like, can we just sit you in a chair and you can sell this for six days in a row so that we’ll make 180 bucks when it opens in one theater?’” he continued warming up to his subject, pretending to be an indie moviemaker. And then caps it off with his own rejoinder.

“Actually, most of you are kind of inexperienced and lame,” he said.

It’s pretty dispiriting to hear a major, wealthy, successful Hollywood star, who is a huge part of the blockbuster machine, essentially turn his back on folks who are trying to work their way up the ranks. And it’s also pretty rich coming from a guy who has no problem making mawkish Oscar bait like "The Judge."
yet another dude ruined by going sober

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Independent filmmakers can be the biggest assholes you've ever seen, he's not entirely wrong. There are some good movies in there though.

edit:

effectual posted:

drat, and Downey should know better, his first big break was with Chaplin Less Than Zero ffs!

Also Weird Science honestly.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 7, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ya I remember where Neill Blomkamp talked about really liking Michael Bay to the interviewers annoyance
Here found it

quote:

But Bay’s movies have no message, I protest. “Elysium doesn’t have a message either,” Blomkamp says with a laugh.

...is he taking the piss? :psyduck: Elysium is about as sledgehammer-blunt as Message Movies get.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...is he taking the piss? :psyduck: Elysium is about as sledgehammer-blunt as Message Movies get.

Verhofen often said stuff like that in interviews.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yah, I think he's saying even Bay films (and all art) have some message. Or he's just loving with the reporter for asking a gotcha question

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"The problem is that sometimes they purport to be profound, based on some Greek mythological kind of thing. And they are honestly very right wing. I always see them as killing people because they do not believe in what you believe, or they are not being who you want them to be."

..has this guy ever read Greek mythology? That's pretty much half of it (the other half is rape).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm not sure that detracts from his point at all

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

A lot of directors say stuff like that for w/e reason, definitely an efficient way to dodge someone trying to make an argument about the film from their words.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Verhoeven?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wandle Cax posted:

Verhoeven?

My phone always autocorrects it to Verhofen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kiimo posted:

All Coen Bros. movies require repeated viewing to appreciate.

I have never once seen a review say "you can't properly appreciate this movie on a first viewing" without it meaning "this movie is actually kinda poo poo but I won't admit it".

For me the Coen brothers are very hit and miss, and of late it's been all misses. Some time around O Brother, Where Art Thou they lost the art of making great movies but counterbalanced it by attracting great casts.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

I have never once seen a review say "you can't properly appreciate this movie on a first viewing" without it meaning "this movie is actually kinda poo poo but I won't admit it".

For me the Coen brothers are very hit and miss, and of late it's been all misses. Some time around O Brother, Where Art Thou they lost the art of making great movies but counterbalanced it by attracting great casts.

Yeah, like the notoriously "not a great film" No Country for Old Men.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jedit posted:

On the other hand, The Coen Brothers have literally only had one bad movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ The Ladykillers, perchance?

LordPants posted:

Yeah, like the notoriously "not a great film" No Country for Old Men.

I didn't like that movie, but I'm not sure you're meant to. It also doesn't end, it just stops. I don't know if that's a fault with the book, but it felt to me like the movie had run out of things to say and nobody knew how to wrap it up.

Definitely a great cast, though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Really? In the interviews I've read he seems more concerned about people not getting that people dressed like SS-officers are meant to be the bad guy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

Really? In the interviews I've read he seems more concerned about people not getting that people dressed like SS-officers are meant to be the bad guy.

I swear I'm not misremembering that he liked to be cheeky like that in the 90's.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Jedit posted:

^^^ The Ladykillers, perchance?

I didn't like that movie, but I'm not sure you're meant to. It also doesn't end, it just stops. I don't know if that's a fault with the book, but it felt to me like the movie had run out of things to say and nobody knew how to wrap it up.

Definitely a great cast, though.

That movie has one of my favorite endings, I love it. The only better ending in their canon is the ending to A Serious Man, which is so goddamn good.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If I remember correctly, with Elysium, Blomkamp would insist that the movie was apolitical to US interviewers, but would happily talk about the political themes elsewhere.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The ending to No Country left me just kind of stunned when I sat in the theater, but it didn't feel wrong or unsatisfying.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

davidspackage posted:

The ending to No Country left me just kind of stunned when I sat in the theater, but it didn't feel wrong or unsatisfying.

And then you woke up.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Hand Knit posted:

If I remember correctly, with Elysium, Blomkamp would insist that the movie was apolitical to US interviewers, but would happily talk about the political themes elsewhere.

I just remember the Sony leak having PowerPoint slides about Elysium not getting "too political" or something. How such a thing could be possible given the premise....

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Jedit posted:

Are you for real? Like, do you think you're supposed to "get" what's great about a Beethoven symphony the first time you hear it? It can take a lifetime of listening to fully appreciate the nuance in a piece of music. Film is no different. You're perfectly entitled to dislike any movie you want, for any reason you want, but don't assume that people are lying when they claim to like something. It's beyond my comprehension that you'd actually think that this is a widespread behavior.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

davidspackage posted:

I saw No Country together with my father, and after the movie was over we both just silently sat there for a while, then picked up our jackets, got to the car and only like half-way on our drive home we started talking about what we just had seen.

That movie was harsh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

System Metternich posted:

I saw No Country together with my father, and after the movie was over we both just silently sat there for a while, then picked up our jackets, got to the car and only like half-way on our drive home we started talking about what we just had seen.

That movie was harsh

Yeah and I love the ending. I think it's just re-enforcing the endless cycle of "harsh." There's never any resolution. Evil is always out there in the world and it's always coming for you. Enjoy!

• Locked thread