Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

wielder posted:

I'd be more inclined to play Fate/Extella if trying to understand that extended property's lore wasn't so confusing.

Not that this type of game requires understanding all the lore, mind you, but ancient Asian history is easier to follow.

let me sum it up for you as simply as possible:

in the Fate universe, there are wizard families that are, invariably, made up of complete loving assholes. at some point, some dork figured out how to summon the Holy Grail, but it could only be done once every few decades, so they basically do Wizard Highlander to figure out who gets to Grail it up. assisting in Wizard Highlander are assorted mythological/historical figures, pulled out of the time abyss by magic and typically an artifact relating to them. they usually have crazy anime powers that they kill each other with, too.

this doesn't touch Extra, but congrats, you now know literally all the important background info from Stay Night and Zero, translated from Japanese Fishmech to human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Here's the plot in Extra you missed: Imagine all that didn't happen but instead it was .Hack combined with Battle Royale set inside of a computer hidden inside the moon.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope no downed attacks that I remember other than a couple of specials that involve surfing around on someone

And even those aren't grounded attacks, as they will fail if the target isn't standing and can be blocked.(It starts with a hop-kick. If the kick doesn't connect, the rest doesn't go through).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope no downed attacks that I remember other than a couple of specials that involve surfing around on someone

A couple character in DW8 actually have moves that can pick up officers from the downed state into a juggle.

One weapon even specifically states that it does that as a special ability. I don't remember what weapon it was though, something with hooks.
Yue Jin maybe?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Lunethex posted:

Liu Bei will just not be a good enough character until he throws a baby.

Press □ to Angrily Toss Infant

You could throw a baby in Peasant's Quest

Selane
May 19, 2006

I don't think anything is ever gonna top

Give Udalryk the baby
-> Throw the baby into the oven

from Witcher 3.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Policenaut posted:

PlayStation China had a huge conference today to talk about the PS4 in their region and, naturally, Tecmo Koei brought Dynasty Warriors 9 with a full 5-minute demonstration. It's not on YouTube so you'll have to watch it here.

This looks really good to me, but also immediately makes me wonder if they could create an RoTK with this engine. Just the thought of having an open world officer-based RoTK with this kind of environs and setup is making me salivate! A few things I noticed though: did Dynasty Warriors typically have Downed attacks? Guan Yu did what looked like an attack on a downed officer to instantly KO him and that caught me by surprise. Also noticed the ability to direct and call orders on the field without entering a menu which seems nice.

something i noticed is a few more younger versions of characters, cao cao and yaun shao both look younger than in earlier screenshots, seems like age progression is going to be a pretty widespread thing

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh good, I see the npcs have the proud tradition of 'stand there staring blankly into space until murdered.' going for them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What else do you want them to do?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Sakurazuka posted:

What else do you want them to do?

Eh. Budge an inch towards each other? I don't know. This may just be from me playing the older games, where they did run around and even take stabs at you. Course, most you had on screen was like 20-40 guys. But still.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they actively attack you in sw4-2, even using musous. in the late castle levels you have to chain your own musous or you get juggled to death by 8 officers at once

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They actively attacked you in 3, 4, and 5, as well as having weapon clashes with each other(Never with officers). At higher morale scores and more difficult stages they also blocked. That got restricted in 5 to the defence base troops. I hear in 6 they also could be murderous.

Also Samurai Warriors 1.

Anyone who says 'enemy soldiers are just there to die' has no actual experience of the greater series.

When they changed soldiers from 'spawn from gates' to 'spawn around AI officers' and increased their headcount, and gave them worthless weapons with no actual moveset or AI...

It wouldn't be so bad exactly, if the NPC officers were worth a damm. But by default they have no Musous at all(And so have little defence against juggling). Even in 8 Empires,. where you can play as them, and they DO have Musous and Rage Attacks for YOU, but the AI(Yours and the enemy) does not. Of course, the AI gets other advantages, like absurd health pools/stats, auto-buffs, and infinite Musou if they are allowed to have one.

1 vs 1000, 3000, 10,000....doesn't mean anything if there's no threat. And I don't just mean 'mission failed'.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 26, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Drakenel posted:

Oh good, I see the npcs have the proud tradition of 'stand there staring blankly into space until murdered.' going for them.
Yeah, noticed that they're more inactive than usual.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

In particular, I booted up 5 xtreme legends. That destiny mode basically has you take an edit officer and you have to be those poor grunts for the first couple levels. Cause you start with only two attacks in a chain and no charge or musou. Hope you learn how to bait officers and don't mind humping your commander's shadow.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

translation of the famitsu interview
https://www.patreon.com/posts/13379522

some new info, like no hypothetical scenarios..

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Dang, I love hypothetical scenarios. Maybe in dw9 xtreme legends....

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

quote:

Famitsu: In this game, the actions of the unique characters have also been renewed indeed.
Suzuki: Just like giving variety to ways of progressing story, we’re also thinking of changing the [gameplay] system to also give variety to actions. Out of the various ideas that we had, we’re implementing the State Combo system where the action changes based on enemy situations.
The basic attacks don’t change with still mashing □ button, but by pressing R1 and either △, □ or × buttons at the same time, you can forcibly change the enemy situation. This is called Trigger Attack which starts a combo.
From this Trigger Attack, other than changing enemy situations to be juggled in the sky, stunned or toppled down, it will also connect to the □ button attacks.

Famitsu: When you’re attacking enemies, sometimes there’s a △ button mark showing up above an enemy’s head. What’s this system?
Suzuki: This action is called React Attack. It is shown on occasions such as when you might be able to counter enemy attacks, and if you press △ at the right timing, it will unleash a React Attack to change the enemy situation.
Even when you’re mashing □ button, the React Attack input will be prioritized, so it will be also easy to be used by people who are not too good with action [games].
So they're bringing in and expanding on some SW mechanics too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiSwlprHhcs

musou all stars doesn't look very good

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It isn't. Dropped after a few hours and didn't pick it back up. Runs terribly, moves have no impact, it's constant saving allies/running across the map and the main game structure is barely there.

Probably the worst game purchase I've made in a long time.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't know how they could mess it up. Just make Warriors Orochi 4.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The reviews on Amazon Japan etc aren't completely apocalyptic at 2.5 stars - there's a decent chance you'll enjoy it if you like the defence aspects of certain games in the series, don't mind the disjointed/lack of story and don't mind that the vaunted Fever mode is rubbish and doesn't add to your KO total. It still depends on your tolerance of furries, though. The roster is pretty thin too as far as these games too, with only about 30 characters, so they have the giant furry soldiers who constantly guard and bust out Musou moves instead of lots of named officers.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I believe K-T said they made Musou Stars like that precisely because a Warriors Orochi 4 would be too bloated, but don't quote me on this. In the end, it sounds like the game may be interesting mostly for the novelty factor of its unusual mix of characters.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Who doesn't want to enjoy the adventures of Sophie and her BFF Lu Bu?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like a lot of the characters in Musou Stars so I wanted it to be good but eh...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Are you ready for thirty minutes of DW9 gameplay, featuring Cheng Pu?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGmX3CSJqc

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I hope the open world aspect adds more to the game than just adding more horse riding time between objectives.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Played Fate Extella and from the few hours I've played its okay, I just wish Aggressors didn't take so long to appear and kill.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Thr biggest knock besides being the epitome of repetiveness is that the supers are too long. They're longer than dw supers and you use them basically every 20 seconds.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You start off feeling kind of under powered in that but it changes pretty quickly

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Are you ready for thirty minutes of DW9 gameplay, featuring Cheng Pu?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGmX3CSJqc

i like when they crashed the game 10 minutes in

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/891179806292758528

3 more designs

Davincie fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 29, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8IsBc40t_Q&t=982s

17 minutes of Xiahou Dun gameplay

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The GIG posted:

Played Fate Extella and from the few hours I've played its okay, I just wish Aggressors didn't take so long to appear and kill.

That's mostly what I end up using the super for. Just round up a bunch of mooks and spend a bar to usually take out enough to spawn the aggressors. Sometimes you can burn a couple bars to take out the aggressor and also snag enough mooks that the next one spawns as well.

It is definitely one of the weaker aspects of the game, though.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Davincie posted:

i like when they crashed the game 10 minutes in

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/891179806292758528

3 more designs

Gan Ning is my main in most games. Disappointing they felt the need to make him slightly less shirtless but I'll withhold judgement for now

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I haven't really been following DW9, but apparently it's open world? How does this work with Co-op?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

CubeTheory posted:

I haven't really been following DW9, but apparently it's open world? How does this work with Co-op?

It doesn't, which is why it doesn't have it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:saddowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny6gcK47SXE

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Goddam I hated that lovely boss fight. Griffith's God Hand form is also bullshit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Berserk might have the shittiest bosses I've ever played in a videogame.
They're mobile armour in DWG2 tier poo poo.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I'm honestly kind of worried about them making it "open world". From what I've seen, it just adds needless travel time and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

At this point my brain equates 'open world' with underwhelming, so my expectations for 9 are pretty low.

I like the new Xu Zhu design, he's always fun to play.