Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Forgive the reddit, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Pakled posted:

Forgive the reddit, but

You're right, it is stdh.txt that nobody bought that brave poster reddit gold credits for their harrowing story of an encounter with a cultist

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Okay, who's up for a round of "what actually happened."

First off, gently caress those idiots and their hashtag abuse. Hashtags are bad enough when used correctly.

What actually happened: A science teacher was doing a demo in front of the class, and mentioned that although the pumice could float in water, it would sink in alcohol. This dweeb drifted off into dreamland and fantasized about what would happen if one of those dirty sexhaving jocks brought alcohol into school (can you imagine?). Having never been invited to a party, the author assumes all forms of alcoholic beverage are not only flammable but also explosive. Author posts on tumblr. Author's story is believed without question because everyone on tumblr is a shut-in dweeb.

edit: walrusman dreams of holding author's head in the toilet

walrusman has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Apr 23, 2014

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

It's so easy to make these believable, but the people involved are just tremendously stupid. He could have picked almost any stupid setup but he had to pick pumice (a rock, that you can't reliably break into small pieces without grinding it into a powder unless you are standing at the front of the classroom with a jigsaw) and he had to pick the teacher dropping it into everyone's water bottle (I guess they didn't mind having a gross foreign object in their drinking water?) and also deciding that the right reaction to the experiment not working is to set the classroom on fire.

The only believable part is that someone did try to drink vodka out of a water bottle at school.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Even normal 80-proof vodka only burns reluctantly; dropping a match in it would do nothing. Even allowing for a completely insane teacher who solves mysteries by setting them on fire, the kid would literally have to drinking a water bottle full of Everclear for that story to be physically possible.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

walrusman posted:

First off, gently caress those idiots and their hashtag abuse. Hashtags are bad enough when used correctly.

Idk man I can totally envision uses for #but one of them didn't float

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
But we all float down here.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

walrusman posted:

Okay, who's up for a round of "what actually happened."

What actually happened: A science teacher was doing a demo in front of the class, and mentioned that although the pumice could float in water, it would sink in alcohol. This dweeb drifted off into dreamland and fantasized about what would happen if one of those dirty sexhaving jocks brought alcohol into school (can you imagine?). Having never been invited to a party, the author assumes all forms of alcoholic beverage are not only flammable but also explosive. Author posts on tumblr. Author's story is believed without question because everyone on tumblr is a shut-in dweeb.

Best part is, of course, that the hashtag abuser writes it was a female science teacher, while the picture shows a man.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I don't even understand what dropping a match into a mystery substance was supposed to achieve.

Even before that, why the gently caress was she dropping rocks into the kids personal drink bottles and not a beaker full of water where they could actually see what's going on?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Because it didn't happen.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Rudager posted:

I don't even understand what dropping a match into a mystery substance was supposed to achieve.

What kind of chemistry class did you have where they didn't teach you how to perform the crucial "water or gasoline" test?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Because it didn't happen.

let me rephrase, I don't how even a dumb teenager could write those things down and not realise how stupid they sounded.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

walrusman posted:

solves mysteries by setting them on fire

I just had an awesome idea for a new TV show.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Khazar-khum posted:

Best part is, of course, that the hashtag abuser writes it was a female science teacher, while the picture shows a man.
It's a different person sharing "their" unique and totally awesome and not at all fabricated experience.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

This is tumblr we're talking about

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The worst thing about that tumblr screenshot is the "I LOVE SCIENCE" poo poo. These people post screenshots of explosions and galaxies with huge "SCIENCE RAWKS" captions, despite not giving a poo poo about the (admittedly drier) details. In reality, they don't love science at all, that's the real stdh right there.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
"It blew up".

Christ that kid doesn't know how alcohol works, you'd be able to smell vodka without needing to set it on fire.

poo poo that did happen though, I took a lighter to the spout(?) of a just finished vodka bottle, and like a rocket flames shot and burned me very slightly. My blisters were soooo almost painful.

So whilst it would not blow up the fumes at least create a reaction with naked flames.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

A guy in my grade nine English class lit his pants on fire while playing with a zippo he had just filled.

This guy was really really stupid though.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

http://news.distractify.com/fun/bizarre/the-most-epic-text-pranks-of-all-time/?v=1

This made me really irritated because it was so close to believable. If they had just given the different characters more distinctive 'voices' (with grammar/spelling patterns, etc.) then I probably would have been hooked. Put in work, STDHers!

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

I like how he and the 'victims' both send multiple messages (and presumably pay for the text) instead of just a single message.

Also, sending OMG IM SO ANGRY CAPS TEXTS. Because that's not really something people do when texting angrily.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You still pay per text?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Be warned, I know judo!

quote:

Low On The Milk Of Human Kindness
Supermarket | West Sussex, England, UK | Food & Drink, Math & Science, Wild & Unruly

(My wife and I do our weekly shop every Monday. My wife’s a primary school teacher and has a very calm, nature. She’s also practiced judo since early childhood, runs a class at weekends, and has a self-defense class that uses non-excessive force. My wife has offered to get the ingredients for her school to make pancakes the next day, as it is the day before Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day). Most ingredients are shared but we need 14 two-pint jugs of milk. My wife is at the pancake display. There are loads of ready made, ready mix, and separate ingredient on display. My wife is counting out the 14 jugs of milk, when another customer approaches.)

Customer: “Jesus, lady, leave some for the rest of us.”

Wife: *looking at the display* “I’m sure there’s enough for everyone.”

(My wife moves the trolley to try and leave.)

Customer: “Stuck-up b****.”

(My wife carries on moving as she has what she needs.)

Customer: *moving his trolley to block my wife* “Hey, don’t ignore me. I asked you a question.”

Wife: “No, you didn’t. You told me to leave some, even though there’s more than enough. Then you called me a stuck-up b****. Please move your trolley so I can get away from you.”

Customer: “How many you got in there? 14?” *he takes two milks out* “Now you only have 10.”

Wife: “Not only are you rude, you’re also an idiot. 14 minus 2 is 10.” *reaches out and gets two more milks* “Now there’s 14 again.”

(She moves her trolley quickly around the man. By now people are starting to stare. I make a move to go to her but she gives me a look so I stay where I am. The man takes a step towards her and puts his hand around her wrist.)

Customer: “You think you’re better than me, b****?!”

Wife: *very calmly* “Sir, I have tried to ignore you’re insults and politely asked you to move. You will not leave me alone. Now you have placed you hands on me in a threatening manner. This is considered assault. If you do not let go of me NOW I am within my rights to defend myself. Do you understand?”

(The customer just looks at her as if she’s spoken another language.)

Wife: “I have given you fair warning. I am obliged to warn you that I know judo. Please let go of me.”

(My wife tries to move her arm but he holds a little tighter.)

Customer: “You think you can hurt me, you b—”

(My wife uses the heel of her hand to strike the man in the face, causing his nose to bleed. She then flips him, where he lands with an almighty crash half on the floor and half on the display. While he is laying, screaming, she bends his index finger back (without breaking it) so he cannot get away. We hear heavy footsteps as security and staff comes running. People are just standing around, amazed.)

Security Guard: “What’s going on? Miss, you need to let go of him now, please.”

Wife: *very calmly* “This man was very rude and abusive to me. I asked him several times to leave me alone but he held my arm. I warned him I know judo, but he decided to hold on tighter. I then defended myself against a personal attack.

(The police were called and the man was taken away. My wife, I, and a few other customers were questioned by police as to what happened. As we all said the same thing, and my wife did not use excessive force, we were all told to go on our way. The supermarket donated the pancake ingredients to the school and my wife and I received £500 in vouchers. The customer has been banned from that store and the other major supermarkets in the area.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Khazar-khum posted:

Be warned, I know judo!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > stdh.txt: I warned him I know judo, but he decided to hold on tighter. I then defended myself against a personal attack.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

a self-defense class that uses non-excessive force
I want to go to the other self-defense class.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
I've never been to England but surely they have milk in larger containers than 2 pints?

also your math is broken 14-2 = 10

booshi has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Apr 24, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

My Lovely Horse posted:

I want to go to the other self-defense class.

Right?

"In tonight's lesson, I will teach you how to make the hand buzzer that Jack Nicholson used on that guy in Batman. Probably you should carry a can of Glade in your purse for afterwards."

deadly_pudding has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Apr 24, 2014

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

booshi posted:

I've never been to England but surely they have milk in larger containers than 2 pints?

4 and 8 pints, so I have no idea why anyone would buy 14 two-pint bottles when you could get the amount of milk you need in four bottles.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

booshi posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. A Top STDH Top Tip: when making poo poo up to fool people that it is real make sure you proof read!

Yes, I know that no one on these stupid sites actually "proof reads" beyond changing the name of whatever place they are at to [well known store/company/call centre].

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. A Top STDH Top Tip: when making poo poo up to fool people that it is real make sure you proof read!

Yes, I know that no one on these stupid sites actually "proof reads" beyond changing the name of whatever place they are at to [well known store/company/call centre].

We've seen the before and after from the editors. They double the STDH quotient pro bono.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

I don't think that guy really understands "non-excessive force," though he goes out of his way to say it multiple times.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Sebastian Vettel posted:

4 and 8 pints, so I have no idea why anyone would buy 14 two-pint bottles when you could get the amount of milk you need in four bottles.

Because the class is making pancakes and it's easier to give each student a bottle than pour out an 8-pinter into smaller containers?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite aspects of STDHs is the ridiculously stilted and formal way these people supposedly speak in the middle of some pretty heated poo poo.

"Be warned sir! I have spent many long years training in the ancient Japanese martial art of Judo, the Gentle Way and if you do not immediately cease and desist in your current brutish and unwelcome behavior I shall be forced to employ it against you. Furthermore..."

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's like everybody in these things are Mojo Jojo from The Powerpuff Girls. That or they are secretly androids that have be so stiff and mechanical in their speech. As per protocol of course.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Lowly posted:

I don't think that guy really understands "non-excessive force," though he goes out of his way to say it multiple times.

They probably mean "non-lethal" force.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
My favorite martial arts STDH, a couple 100 pages back now I think, complete with "news" article, talked about how somebody used an Aikido Kick on somebody. Aikido explicitly has no offensive kicking techniques. :allears:

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Sardonik posted:

My favorite martial arts STDH, a couple 100 pages back now I think, complete with "news" article, talked about how somebody used an Aikido Kick on somebody. Aikido explicitly has no offensive kicking techniques. :allears:

It's the same with judo, which is entirely grabs and throws and no strikes at all.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's like everybody in these things are Mojo Jojo from The Powerpuff Girls. That or they are secretly androids that have be so stiff and mechanical in their speech. As per protocol of course.

Oh my god. Yes. They are all Raging Furious Mojo Jojo vs. Calm & Calculated Alec Guinness a la Obi Wan.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Khazar-khum posted:

Most ingredients are shared but we need 14 two-pint jugs of milk. My wife is at the pancake display. There are loads of ready made, ready mix, and separate ingredient on display.

It's the boring as gently caress description of how a grocery store shelves its products that really gets me fully enveloped into a story. Were there both name brand and store brand pancake mixes? How close was the syrup in relation to the pancakes? Did any of them have nearby coupons???

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

jezebel posted:

"Customer: Are the Jalapeno Poppers spicy?

Me: I mean, they are made from jalapenos, so...

Customer: Oh, I don't like spicy. Can I get them without jalapenos?

Me: Well, they essentially are just fried, stuffed jalapenos, so not really. But the Mozzarella Sticks would be similar, if you don't like spicy food.

Customer: Oh, well I have a gluten allergy, so that won't work either. I'll just try the poppers.

Me: Well, those have gluten too, and like I said, they're spicy.

Customer: What about the breadsticks? Do those have gluten? Are they spicy, too?

Me: Well, basically everything with bread has gluten unless its specially—

Customer: Excuse me, I've been eating bread my whole life, and gluten will literally kill me. I think I'd know if there was gluten in bread. *harumph!*

Me: I generally suggest the salmon as our best gluten-free option.

Customer: Are you trying to kill me?! I just told you I was gluten-free!

At this point I went and got my manager who spoke with the woman for about 15 minutes before finally getting her to order a burger with no bun. When the burger came out, the customer was irate and demanded a pretzel bun be brought out at once."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Just give the customer what they asked for and stop giving a poo poo

• Locked thread