Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Retrospectives on speedy video games! Errant Signal talks about Burnout Paradise, while Super Bunnyhop looks at every first level of every main Sonic the Hedgehog game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Apparently (according to his twitter at least) it looks like Spoony is doing up a review of "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream". We shall see, I suppose.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Apparently (according to his twitter at least) it looks like Spoony is doing up a review of "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream". We shall see, I suppose.

That game is messed up. O.o

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. Till then his one review a year quota has already been filled.

poparena posted:

Retrospectives on speedy video games! Errant Signal talks about Burnout Paradise, while Super Bunnyhop looks at every first level of every main Sonic the Hedgehog game.

That was a really interesting take on Paradise. I didn't hate the game or anything but it just felt so lacking without a crash mode and that's what made 3 and 4 so goddamn good. They were basically puzzle games and it was amazing to play with friends, trying to work out the best strategy for the highest amount of damage. The thing where you cause as much damage down a highway was alright but nothing special in comparison.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My teen years had many edgy adult moments thanks to Harlan Ellison's grouchy old man voice.

You have not lived until you've heard a recording of him read that short story about Jack the Ripper. He put in some kind of electric reverb effect every time he says "vagina," as I recall.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Wait.

Let me tell you how long we've had to wait since Spoony last put out an actual review. Approximately 30,672,000 seconds elapsed between the Massacre at Central High Review and the City Hunter review. If you were to print the word 'wait' on every tweet, wrestling vlog, live-stream, and Counter Monkey episode between those times, it would not equal one one billionth the dread of wait that falls upon us in this micro instant.

For us. Wait. Wait.

poparena posted:

Super Bunnyhop looks at every first level of every main Sonic the Hedgehog game.
This was a real interesting watch for me, as I've been on a Sonic kick as of late; I completed Sonic CD a while ago, and I'm playing through Sonic Generations at the moment. I also bought SA1 the other day, despite knowing how clunky it is. It's surprising to see how many times they've rebooted the franchise in the last couple of years.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

MrSlam posted:

Watching Phelous's Patreon video of Countryside Bears right now :siren:SPOILER ALERT:siren: It's pretty funny and you should follow him on Patreon

An extra layer of hilarious on that review is that he rightfully criticizes Dingo pictures-- a company with multiple voice actors and animators-- for not being able to do different voices for each character, nor being able to do lip synching properly. And at the exact same time, he's doing unique voices for each of the characters, and doing post-production lip synching. By himself.

CHILD MURDERER!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Also Aurini's channel is back now because FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DStecks posted:

Where's The gently caress U #WTFU

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Jsor posted:

Where's The gently caress U #WTFU

YouTube does it again !

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

#WTFU What The gently caress, yoUtube?

...that's how that hashtag goes, right?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Angry Joe's reaction to the Civil War trailer is up. Totally worth it for his reaction to the Spidey reveal.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Who the gently caress cares about reaction videos? It's lovely second-hand marketing at best.

This is the only good one

Cyron posted:

I would love if it turn out TFA review is just him saying someone did star wars right and poo poo all over this new fad of liking the prequels and defending Lucas.

Yeah it's real awful when people have opinions independent of nerd orthodoxy. How dare they like the prequels.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Who the gently caress cares about reaction videos? It's lovely second-hand marketing at best.

This is the only good one

How many times do I have to remind people of Phelous's best video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvwWTFxfUaA

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Yeah it's real awful when people have opinions independent of nerd orthodoxy. How dare they like the prequels.

Dude the prequels are bad movies. Like em all you want, but they are awful and not because of poo poo like Jar Jar.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
My 11-year-old self thought Phantom Menace was awesome and the original trilogy was stuffy and boring, so clearly that's the truth :smuggo:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Asuron posted:

Dude the prequels are bad movies. Like em all you want, but they are awful and not because of poo poo like Jar Jar.

Jar Jar is no more annoying than anyone from the OT, just like how the dialogue and acting are no worse than in the OT.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jar Jar is no more annoying than anyone from the OT, just like how the dialogue and acting are no worse than in the OT.

This is somewhat true which is why the OT is so much better than the prequels because in the OT there are other things happening aside from people talking.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Yes he is, and yes it is. There's an hour long video from the guys you already linked to that explain why the movie fails at and uses pretty clear examples on why that's the case.

I was even like you, I would defend the prequels because I thought they were decent movies, but when you have something like that break it down and provide excellent analysis on why they're bad, not just as a successor to the films that came before but as a film in general and you come out thinking they're good "just because I say so", you're basically going out of your way to deny the truth because you like something alot.

But I've seen you post about this poo poo over and over again and I know nothing anyone says will ever sway you because you seem determined to block your ears to what people say and just do weird, wrong comparisons to the OT as if that somehow validates what you say about the prequels, so this will be the last time I argue with you about it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Asuron posted:

"You're entitled to your opinion, but mine is right!"
Harry S. Plinkett

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
all you star wars watching nerds need to get into lockers, chumps.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Asuron posted:

Yes he is, and yes it is. There's an hour long video from the guys you already linked to that explain why the movie fails at and uses pretty clear examples on why that's the case.

The Plinkett reviews? They're funny, but they're the definition of missing the forest for the trees. I used to like them too, until I realised that there is something deeply wrong about hating a movie for over a decade and never moving on. There is a class of people who seriously consider the prequels some kind of evil. They're decent movies, but somehow they're is a special case where the normal methods of judging movies are suspended. The OT is goofy and weird? Awesome. The PT is goofy and weird? Worst movies ever. The OT has bad acting and dialogue? Cheesy goodness. The PT has bas acting and dialogue? The director failed at his job. The OT has unreal, obviously artificial special effects? Classic sci-fi. The PT has unreal, obviously artificial special effects? Lucas is a soulless hack. It's completely insane, and the sooner people stop trying to normalise decades-long obsessions over movies, the better.

Asuron posted:

But I've seen you post about this poo poo over and over again and I know nothing anyone says will ever sway you because you seem determined to block your ears to what people say and just do weird, wrong comparisons to the OT as if that somehow validates what you say about the prequels, so this will be the last time I argue with you about it.

You must be really insecure about your ability to reason.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 13, 2016

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Asuron posted:

C3PO is at least as annoying as Jar Jar. The Plinket reviews are entertaining but they aren't some holy gospel of truth. Lots of what they said was kinda dumb or just opinion. Like the whole insistence that movies need a clear protagonist, utter nonsense. The whole "Lets have people describe the characters from memory" bit is at best disingenuous. The original series is just 'too big' for such a comparison to be in any way useful. Even before I'd ever seen the original series I knew the main characters from it. They've been a part of the pop culture landscape for decades. Of course you can come up with more random adjectives describing them than for characters from a movie that has been out for way less time and had way less pop culture penetration and the people being questioned have probably seen way fewer times.

The prequels suck, but then so did the original series and in a lot of the same ways. Outside of episode 2 being probably the worst of the lot of them the prequels weren't significantly worse than the older ones. Hell episode 3 was probably more entertaining than the episode 5.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

watho posted:

This is somewhat true which is why the OT is so much better than the prequels because in the OT there are other things happening aside from people talking.

Agreed. The Prequels should have had more action scenes, perhaps involving a four armed robot that has four lightsabers, or ninja flips everywhere, or a gladiatorial combat arena, or a racing scene.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Plinkett reviews? They're funny, but they're the definition of missing the forest for the trees. I used to like them too, until I realised that there is something deeply wrong about hating a movie for over a decade and never moving on.

No one is obsessively hating the prequels. Most people just sorta acknowledge that they were bad movies and don't think about them anymore. The whole reason people bring them up at all is becuase of idiots like you who hold out some insane torch for the movies years after the rest of the culture has made judgment and loving moved on. This is the loving same as the people who insist Transformers is a super amazing series that's super deep or the idiots who keep trying for a Firefly revival. No one else cares but you and everyone else is just irritated by your obsessive need to promote them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Opinions posted:

No one is obsessively hating the prequels. Msot people just sorta acknowledge that was a bad movie and don't think about it anymore. The whole reason people bring them up at all is becuase of idiots like you who hold out some insane torch for the movies years after the rest of the culture has made judgment and loving moved on. This is the loving same as the people who insist Transformers is a super amazing series that's super deep or the idiots who keep trying for a Firefly revival. No one else cares but you and everyone else is just irritated by your obsessive need to promote them.

Ah yes, this is exactly the weird nerd orthodoxy I'm talking about. You're literally calling people idiots for saying that a movie isn't the Devil. "If only those people shut up about the prequels, we wouldn't need to hate them." Why is it necessary to make "idiots" shut up about prequels? That seems like obsession. I'd like to see the peer review process on this thing.

How has "culture" moved on when a major corporation feels the need to make a movie for people who didn't like the prequels? When TFA came out, there were goons talking about how it was necessary to fix the "damage" left by the prequels. Damage to whom? The franchise? People are still in fact obsessed with the movies.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 12, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ah yes, this is exactly the weird nerd orthodoxy I'm talking about. You're literally calling people idiots for saying that a movie isn't the Devil. "If only those people shut up about the prequels we didn't need to hate them." Why is it necessary to make "idiots" shut up about prequels? That seems like obsession. I'd like to see the peer review process on this thing.
It wasn't the devil, this isn't something like Troll 2, Master of Disguise, or loving Birdemic. They're just normal bad movies which the most annoying part. It'd be like people obsessively defending some aggressively mediocre 80s action movie like Deathwish 3 and 4 or Rocky 3. They're just kinda known to be bad but not in a way that's funny or interesting.

How has "culture" moved on when a major corporation feels the need to make a movie for people who didn't like the prequels? When TFA came out, there were goons talking about how it was necessary to fix the "damage" left by the prequels. Damage to whom? The franchise? People are still in fact obsessed with the movies.
A major corporation released TFA because Star Wars movies are a license to print movie. Hell Star Wars will print money in any media. The prequels made mountains of money. People are talking about the new movie fixing "Damage" because the last one wasn't very good and it's nice that the bad movie doesn't doom further movies to be bad. Return to the Rocky example. No one was accused of being obsessive about Rocky 3 or Rocky 5 being bad when they said they were pleasantly surprised that Rocky 6 was actually good. None of you obsessive prequel defenders came out of the woodwork to go "Oh no people are still obsessing about Rocky 5 being bad to this day. There must be something wrong with them to state a movie I irrationally love is bad". It's cause Rocky 5 doesn't have the same sort of obsessive nerd wierdos who love it as the prequels apparently do.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 12, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Opinions posted:

It wasn't the devil, this isn't something like Troll 2, Master of Disguise, or loving Birdemic. They're just normal bad movies which the most annoying part. It'd be like people obsessively defending some aggressively mediocre 80s action movie like Deathwish 3 and 4 or Rocky 3. They're just kinda known to be bad but not in a way that's funny or interesting.

What is fascinating is how the things people hate in the PT are exactly the things they love in the OT.

quote:

A major corporation released TFA because Star Wars movies are a license to print movie. Hell Star Wars will print money in any media. The prequels made mountains of money. People are talking about the new movie fixing "Damage" because the last one wasn't very good and it's nice that the bad movie doesn't doom further movies to be bad. Return to the Rocky example. No one was accused of being obsessive about Rocky 3 or Rocky 4 being bad when they said they were pleasantly surprised that Rocky 6 was actually good. None of you obsessive prequel defenders came out of the woodwork to go "Oh know people are still obsessing about Rocky 4 being bad to this day. There must be something wrong with them to state a movie I irrationally love is bad". It's cause Rocky 4 doesn't have the same sort of obsessive nerd wierdos who love it as the prequels apparently do.

:ironicat: Every word you post proves my point about obsessive nerd orthodoxies more and more. You have an entire fictional biography for me where I've obsessively defended the prequels for years and years, and forced poor nerds to debate Star Wars.

This is the first time I've ever defended the prequels.

:ironicat:

e:

Andrast posted:

You are doing literally the same thing except with bad Patrick Rothfuss books in their thread.

This is because defending Rothfuss books tends to demand a very unthinking and non-critical mindset that makes people look dumb. I don't actually think people are worse for liking Rothfuss, it's a bit of comic hyperbole. The "idiot" part comes from non-critical thinking.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 12, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ah yes, this is exactly the weird nerd orthodoxy I'm talking about. You're literally calling people idiots for saying that a movie isn't the Devil.

You are/were doing literally the same thing except with bad Patrick Rothfuss books in their thread.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

GUYS THE PREQUELS ARE GOOD OK, FOR VAGUE AND ILL-DEFINED REASONS I'LL NEVER EXPLAIN. THE PLINKETT REVIEWS GO INTO PUNISHING DETAIL ABOUT HOW I'M WRONG? WOW, WHAT A WEIRDO, WHO THE HELL STILL CARES ABOUT THE PREQUELS, CERTAINLY NOT ME, THE PERSON INSTIGATING A DERAIL OVER THEM.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DStecks posted:

GUYS THE PREQUELS ARE GOOD OK, FOR VAGUE AND ILL-DEFINED REASONS I'LL NEVER EXPLAIN. THE PLINKETT REVIEWS GO INTO PUNISHING DETAIL ABOUT HOW I'M WRONG? WOW, WHAT A WEIRDO, WHO THE HELL STILL CARES ABOUT THE PREQUELS, CERTAINLY NOT ME, THE PERSON INSTIGATING A DERAIL OVER THEM.

This is funny because this is what you said the last time I said that being obsessively angry about movies is bad (right in this thread in fact):

The last prequel movie was ten years ago and people are still angry.

DStecks posted:

Explaining how lovely movies are lovely, when people insist they are good with absolutely nothing to back that up but baseless assertions and a bald refusal to engage with any points which contradict them = angry I guess.

You've certainly convinced me that you're not angry and obsessive about the prequels.

And isn't it kind of weird to try to make appeals to authority and consensus in a thread about critical discussion?'

e: "There is an hour-long video about how the movie is bad! No, you can't say that the movie is good, there's already an hour-long video!"

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 12, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

You've certainly convinced me that you're not angry and obsessive about the prequels.

Being annoyed with the same derail yet a loving gain = angry and obsessive about the prequels, sure

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Thanks to lamp bravery we can pretend we're the Star Wars thread for some reason. Kill me now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DStecks posted:

Being annoyed with the same derail yet a loving gain = angry and obsessive about the prequels, sure

Nah, getting angry about a derail is fine. I'm angry about the derail, despite being a "prequel defender (I like 1 and 3 and hate 2 while loving the OT, but whatever), it's being super angry/insulting at people for daring to like to prequels that makes you kind of an rear end in a top hat sometimes. You've done it a few times.

GUys, just accept you've got different opinions on movies and loving move on. It's what I've done (or tried, anyway). I wasn't the one who started the derail this time.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I didn't think Rocky 5 was that bad...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shut the gently caress up about star wars.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nah, getting angry about a derail is fine. I'm angry about the derail, despite being a "prequel defender (I like 1 and 3 and hate 2 while loving the OT, but whatever), it's being super angry/insulting at people for daring to like to prequels that makes you kind of an rear end in a top hat sometimes. You've done it a few times.

GUys, just accept you've got different opinions on movies and loving move on. It's what I've done (or tried, anyway). I wasn't the one who started the derail this time.

Over the years, I've just kind of accepted there's a weird goonsensus about certain issues it's best to avoid bringing up because people get really vitriolic really fast.

At least this time it was Star Wars instead of Fallout, which is even worse.

DON'T USE THAT AS AN EXCUSE TO START A FALLOUT DERAIL YOU FUCKS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shut the gently caress up about star wars.

Actual thread contribution: I thought the Super Bunnyhop video posted earlier about Sonic was good, and a great illustration of what a crazy rollercoaster ride of up and down quality that series is

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 12, 2016

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Mad Lupine posted:

I didn't think Rocky 5 was that bad...

Rocky 2-4 all kinda go in a new and progressively sillier direction from 1 and they can be pretty fun. Dunno what 5 was trying to go for but it was always my least favorite. Before the meltdown Spoony and Brad had a video retrospective of the 6 that were out at the time.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Rocky 2-4 all kinda go in a new and progressively sillier direction from 1 and they can be pretty fun. Dunno what 5 was trying to go for but it was always my least favorite. Before the meltdown Spoony and Brad had a video retrospective of the 6 that were out at the time.

I remember that video being hilarious. Man I miss old Spoony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Actual thread contribution: I thought the Super Bunnyhop video posted earlier about Sonic was good, and a great illustration of what a crazy rollercoaster ride of up and down quality that series is

Sonic Colors is legit good (but not great, Sonic is never Great).

Although he did miss the portable gba/ds games, despite the mention of Sonic Rush (which I liked).

• Locked thread