Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rof is 1/2 of a good movie and that's about it

they could have just skipped it in super and it would probably have been a better show for it. just keep the silly filler episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't the reason there isn't a ROF arc in the manga because they did a tie-in manga adaptation for the film version already?
I don't know that they've actually come out and said that, but that's the speculation I've seen most often.

The tie-in manga doesn't even adapt the whole story. I think it ends right as Frieza is turning Golden.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I have to be honest, I sorta forgot the whole Frieza stuff even happened.

ImpAtom posted:

Can I say that I really love the Black/Zasamu teamup fight concept? It's really neat to see a pair of villains working together which is something DBZ really shied away from

Yeah, I really dig the villains of this arc. We've finally gotten a good pure evil antagonist that's also a character in himself. Zamasu is some idiot that applied for a job without even reading the description and then decided the only person he could work with was himself. I remember seeing the new parts of the opening and immediately thinking he was gonna be some tragic fallen Kai victim that would end up meeting Goku (kinda like Supreme Kai really), but this arc has done a good job at subverting my expectations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Man that was a good episode. Super has hit its stride for sure

It's going to be cool as hell when Black and Zamasu fuse out of desperation

Since we know that's one set of earrings for sure now it's just a matter of time until they play that card

Also Black has so many cool moves with his sword and that dual blast with Zamasu and stuff, he's going to be really fun to play in Xenoverse 2

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think it may have been straight up said in some supplemental info. It makes sense though that Toyotaro didn't want to retread the old ground so quickly.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

It's going to be cool as hell when Black and Zamasu fuse out of desperation

Since we know that's one set of earrings for sure now it's just a matter of time until they play that card

It's also a convenient way to get around Zamasu's invincibility since (I assume) he wished for an immortal body. I'm curious to see how the whole thing plays out since there's 2 Chekov's guns (Black's time ring and the earrings).

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I mean, I get that the time ring protects Black from paradoxes but...is he supposed to be from the "prime" timeline? It's hard to wrap my head around it because Beerus nuked Zamasu out of existence in the prime timeline, and Goku straight up died in Trunks' timeline, so Black's not from there.

Is Black from some new timeline where Zamasu was defeated by Goku, but for whatever reason (???) Beerus and co. ended the investigation there, and he snuck off to use the Dragon Balls?

edit: Man, how the hell was Goku fighting with a giant hole through what should be his heart?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 9, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

RoF is pointless because toei already were planning on making super at that point and they didn't want to move the plot forward.

Dragon ball super exists because toei didn't want to give fox merchandising rights to black goku

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

I mean, I get that the time ring protects Black from paradoxes but...is he supposed to be from the "prime" timeline? It's hard to wrap my head around it because Beerus nuked Zamasu out of existence in the prime timeline, and Goku straight up died in Trunks' timeline, so Black's not from there.

Is Black from some new timeline where Zamasu was defeated by Goku, but for whatever reason (???) Beerus and co. ended the investigation there, and he snuck off to use the Dragon Balls?

It appears to be this:

There is a main timeline. In that timeline Trunks never came back to get help. As such, Zamasu was never made an issue to Goku and family and he ended up stealing Goku's body.
He goes his bullshit and goes to the Future Trunks Timeline and recruits THAT Zamasu. Then they start loving up Future Trunk's timeline. This causes Future Trunks to go back in time.
This creates a third timeline which is the one we're now watching. The Zamasu of this timeline was wrecked by Beerus.

Just like the Cell Saga we're not following the 'main' timeline but one of the branches created by time travel.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

It's really neat to see a pair of villains working together which is something DBZ really shied away from

They are no match for the original dream team:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ImpAtom posted:

It appears to be this:

There is a main timeline. In that timeline Trunks never came back to get help. As such, Zamasu was never made an issue to Goku and family and he ended up stealing Goku's body.
He goes his bullshit and goes to the Future Trunks Timeline and recruits THAT Zamasu. Then they start loving up Future Trunk's timeline. This causes Future Trunks to go back in time.
This creates a third timeline which is the one we're now watching. The Zamasu of this timeline was wrecked by Beerus.

Just like the Cell Saga we're not following the 'main' timeline but one of the branches created by time travel.

I don't think so, because if Trunks never came back, how would that Zamasu even know Goku exists? I'm pretty sure it's like this:

Future Trunks Timeline: Goku is dead, Zamasu lives life like normal with Gowasu (hating humans and wanting to kill him, but with no real plan as to what to do afterwards). Goku Black shows up, kills Gowasu and teams up with this timeline. Trunks goes to Primary Timeline to get help.
Primary Timeline (?): Future Trunks comes back, Beerus Whis and Goku meet Zamasu and fight him, Zamasu gets pissed, kills Gowasu and wishes he switches bodies with Goku, and then moves to Future Trunks' timeline
DBS Timeline: Goku fights Zamasu, Beerus destroys Zamasu before he can kill Gowasu, everything is fine.

My assumption is that the second and third timelines are the same, and essentially get retconned by Beerus destroying a god. The only reason Black is still around is because he's bound by the ring, which keeps him there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Weird formatting bug

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You're probably safe assuming that if there's any such thing 'main' timeline in play, it's the present day one where we've seen absolutely everything in Dragonball happen and the Zamasu who became Black etc etc is from another branch.
Regardless of the the technicalities and mechanics of time travel, multiverse theory, butterfly effect whatever, the only time line that will truly matter when this arc ends is the one Goku, Vegeta and Bulma will return home to, so it's the main timeline of the series.

It'll probably be worth watching Batman's version of this if you watched the first speed sub, being that they're basically just Dragon Team or wait for Dragon Team to catch up for a real indepth explanation. I wouldn't trust a speed sub group to get intricate details of this kind of thing perfectly right.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 9, 2016

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I still hope that this arc ends with the Super Dragon Balls being used to restore Trunks' timeline, that boy has been through some poo poo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Carlosologist posted:

I still hope that this arc ends with the Super Dragon Balls being used to restore Trunks' timeline, that boy has been through some poo poo
Really all they have to do is hop in the time machine and go back to when Beerus made his wish. Then ask him polity to borrow it (you will create another timeline, but :shrug:)
"I wish that Zamasu wished to revive everyone in Trunks timeline, instead of for immortality"

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Carlosologist posted:

The Dragon God will misunderstand the wish and move Future Earth into the same timeline as Present Earth, allowing everyone to call upon the Legendary Super Saiyan Trunks at any time they need.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

One thing I really liked about this episode was that a pissed off Goku with a hole in his chest is not someone to be trifled with

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Not sure which has more holes Goku or the timelines

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

With the Mafuba being brought back up and DBS having an eye for continuity, a lot of stuff has been echoed (Raxivace made a pretty good post about it last page). So I'm thinking they'll Mafuba the immortal Zamasu because sheesh how do you kill that guy? That leaves Black, and he seems to just be super hyper powerful but he has the obvious weakness of the Time Ring.

So final stand. Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks are on the ground, beaten and broken. Black advances on them, monologuing and forming a giant blast over his head with one hand.

And then Yajirobe chops it off, just like the tail in the Saiyan Saga. Yajirobe, true opportunist hero of time and space. It's all I want.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Can somebody explain Black to me, I still don't get where in time Black from the past came from

How would the future one not be affected if the past one changed bodies? Wha?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Holy poo poo this was an amazing episode. Hot drat, Super just keeps on blowing away expectations, I don't think anyone can say now that's it's lacking in drama and tension.

Parrotine posted:

Can somebody explain Black to me, I still don't get where in time Black from the past came from

same, I'm really confused about this part.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Reinanigans posted:

edit: Man, how the hell was Goku fighting with a giant hole through what should be his heart?

goku's been shot through the heart like 3 times now, he's fiiiiiiiiine

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
also interesting fact: the last episode seems to confirm that Black is benefiting from zenkai in some way. but why is he constantly healing

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My flawed understanding of Black is that He got his rear end whooped by Goku, then traveled forward in time and somehow landed a year in the future except everything was fine because since he wasn't Black yet there was no need for Trunks to come over and warn people about him, so Zamasu got his wish to become Black, which then starts the events that lead to the timeline we're seeing. However in the subs I saw he specifically mentions having his rear end whooped by Goku and that's why he wanted to bodyswap. So it's like a self-contained timeloop, that makes a stop at a timeline outside of the loop?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Little Mac posted:

With the Mafuba being brought back up and DBS having an eye for continuity, a lot of stuff has been echoed (Raxivace made a pretty good post about it last page). So I'm thinking they'll Mafuba the immortal Zamasu because sheesh how do you kill that guy?

The Dead Zone.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Parrotine posted:

"Future" Zamasu is the same as "Future" Trunks. He's not actually from the future, its a different timeline. Goku isn't even alive in Trunks timeline, so the Zamasu of that existence never got ambitious enough to start his Zero Mortals Plan. That is until Black stole the special time ring that lets you travel between alternate realities.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Pyroi posted:

The Dragon God will misunderstand the wish and move Future Earth into the same timeline as Present Earth, allowing everyone to call upon the Legendary Super Saiyan Trunks at any time they need.

Maybe they're trying to blend in the 'legendary' SSJ powerup into the main storyline. Probably some silly 'insanity powerup' which Trunks now has because he realises this is all his fault.

Law Cheetah posted:

also interesting fact: the last episode seems to confirm that Black is benefiting from zenkai in some way. but why is he constantly healing

Why does he also have a big purple beam sword? I'd assume it's just part of the God Ki stuff from Zamasu and while he's not immortal, he's healing at a much faster rate. Though why Goku isn't going through SSJB 1,2,3+ with the number of holes that have been punched through him, i dunno.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The way I see Black is this:

First, Goku and Zamasu HAD to fight in the past, so that means there had to be a point in Black Zamasu's timeline where Black Goku popped into the past, via Trunks' time machine tunnel, and had a fight with Goku, leading to them going to find Zamasu to figure poo poo out. This basically makes Black a necessary paradox, so he's sort of semi-protected in that a timeline where he's created HAS to happen, since Beerus hasn't vaporized Zamasu at this point.

So, I guess what would happen in the timeline where Black is created, Goku and co. travel to the future, and only Black is there, not him AND Zamasu. Goku and Vegeta kill Black, go back to the alt-present, and Goku goes back to being a farmer. This alt-present timeline's Zamasu is the one that makes the wish to become Goku, and then uses the Time Ring to jump to another time line to pick up a bro. Why this change happens, we don't know, but considering the whole thing where the gods HATE time loops, this is probably one of the reasons why.

After that, things proceed as we've seen. Future Zamasu has no Goku to body change with, Black doesn't even know about Trunks to make that switch viable, and they decide to start their Mortal Murderfest on this timeline. They kill all the Kaioshin, knocking out Beerus-analogs who could stop them, and the higher ups don't really get involved because they have more important things to do than bother with one lovely offshoot time line.

This time when Goku and co. pop into the future, Black AND Zamasu are there, and DBS proceeds as we've seen.

gently caress time travel.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is how it works for Black. Time Ring and godly time travel don't create alt timelines, Time Machine's do.

Pretty much the events happen the same as they do normally all the way up to Beerus killing Zamasu. Zamasu kills Gowasu and uses the time ring to go a year into the future and swap bodies with Goku upon which he kills Goten and Chichi who were in the house at his location when he swapped. Then he went back to his old body with Goku in it and killed him as well before using one of the time rings to run off to a different timeline. He meets up with an alternate version of himself who wishes for immorality and they end up in Trunks timeline and cause chaos.

Meanwhile back in the present Beerus erases Zamasu which would erase his alternate and future selves and in turn erases the existence of Goku Black. However because both Zamasu's are wearing time rings they are protected from the paradox stuff and are not erased.

This in turn means that Black has a easy defeat condition. If the ring is taken from him causality should catch up to him and erase him from existence.

So no timeline stuff it's a stable timeloop with some rings mucking it up.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 10, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I remember how in the Cell saga fans reasoned out there had to be minimum 4 timelines, and then now they drop all this on us.

Beautiful.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pureauthor posted:

I remember how in the Cell saga fans reasoned out there had to be minimum 4 timelines, and then now they drop all this on us.

Beautiful.

I never understood where the 4th comes from. There's the one that Cell comes from, the one that Trunks comes from, and the one where Goku had heart medicine. What's the fourth?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

pik_d posted:

I never understood where the 4th comes from. There's the one that Cell comes from, the one that Trunks comes from, and the one where Goku had heart medicine. What's the fourth?

I think the past that the first Future Trunks saved. Like, there should be a timeline in which everything went terrific and the Androids were destroyed but Cell was never a thing?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

pik_d posted:

This is the easiest graph I know of that explains this.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think the past that the first Future Trunks saved. Like, there should be a timeline in which everything went terrific and the Androids were destroyed but Cell was never a thing?
The timeline that Murdered Trunks saved is never directly depicted, so we don't actually know what happens there. We basically infer its existence and some of the events that probably happened there. Things could have been peaceful after Trunks left, or perhaps Cell still appeared 20 years or whatever later and was fought off by Goku and his friends. We dunno for sure.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 10, 2016

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty much the events happen the same as they do normally all the way up to Beerus killing Zamasu.

But what causes Beerus to not erase Zamasu in this scenario?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Reinanigans posted:

Could be anything like Zamasu being slightly quicker in getting the ring and potara. It does not matter anymore. Once Beerus erased him the events there no longer happened. But Black and Future Zamasu still have the time ring so they was not erased.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

trunks didn't travel back in time to inform them about the whole sit obviously

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Reinanigans posted:

I assume he just beat him to the punch in that timeline.

I kinda like the concept of both Zamasus being the two Zamasus that had the "kill all NINGENS" idea, but they followed slightly different paths to reach it. It also makes sense and is a pretty clever way of keeping the audience guessing up to the reveal...why is Dragonball Super doing clever things????

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wait, so y'all remember when Whis rewound time to save Gowasu?

Zamasu didn't time travel before Whis rewound everything, did he?

EDIT: Actually forget it, I'm pretty sure I'm remembering this part wrong.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 10, 2016

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

trunks didn't travel back in time to inform them about the whole sit obviously

but thats what leads goku to fight zamasu in the first place which leads him to want to bodyswap with goku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Law Cheetah posted:

but thats what leads goku to fight zamasu in the first place which leads him to want to bodyswap with goku

It's a timeloop. Black Goku timeline led to Zamasu fighting Goku which led to Zamasu changing bodies and becoming Black Goku. Immortal Zamasu timeline was Zamasu's original plan coming to fruition - he was iffy on the whole NINGEN thing even before he knew about the whole shebang. Black Goku just found the timeline where he went through with it. Goku Timeline Zamasu was from a failed timeline.

Hey, DBS became Homestuck!

oh no

• Locked thread