Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

I think that other oses have ways of locking the screen that aren't just drawing a window on top of everything.

I mean, there are only so many ways you can make a screen locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

I think that other oses have ways of locking the screen that aren't just drawing a window on top of everything.

but that’s not very open source of you; how am i supposed to spend endless hours curating a bespoke free as in freedom distribution to install on my computer that is purely used to install said stack?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

if you want to know more than you should about how X screen lockers (don’t) work you can go check jwz’s blog

(and why you this isn’t the Linux thread so why would you waste your time)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
e: previous page

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/RachelTobac/status/1352409636792492035

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55749959

quote:

Some of the laptops given out in England to support vulnerable children home-schooling during lockdown contain malware, BBC News has learned.

The malware, which they said appeared to be contacting Russian servers, is believed to have been found on laptops given to a handful of schools.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/antumbral/status/1352569985600679938

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol just submit a pr to add a vulnerability while you're add it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

wow that's hosed up. it'd be one thing if the research was about intentionally getting these requests reverted via PRs, but the paper's just fingerprinting:

quote:

Firefox
As part of our experiments we also test Firefox. Interestingly, while the developer documentation and source code include functionality intended for favicon caching [27] similar to the other browsers, we identify inconsistencies in its actual usage. In fact, while monitoring the browser during the attack’s execution we observe that it has a valid favicon cache which creates appropriate entries for every visited page with the corresponding favicons. However, it never actually uses the cache to fetch the entries. As a result, Firefox actually issues requests to re-fetch favicons that are already present in the cache. We have reported this bug to the Mozilla team, who verified and acknowledged it. At the time of submission, this remains an open issue. Nonetheless, we believe that once this bug is fixed our attack will work in Firefox, unless they also deploy countermeasures to mitigate our attack (we provide more details on our attack’s disclosure in §VII).
let's just gloss over any research on tor's hardening of fingerprinting mechanisms in firefox specifically and why this might be the case...
e:

quote:

Ethics and disclosure
First we note that all of our experiments were conducted using our own devices and no users were actually affected by our experiments. Furthermore, due to the severe privacy implications of our findings we have disclosed our research to all the browser vendors. We submitted detailed reports outlining our techniques, and vendors have confirmed the attack and are currently working on potential mitigations. In fact, among other mitigation efforts, Brave’s team initially proposed an approach of deleting the Favicon-Cache in every typical “Clear History” user action, which matches our “Cookie-tied favicon caching” (see §VI) mitigation strategy that can work for all the browsers. The countermeasure that was eventually deployed adopts this approach while also avoiding the use of favicon cache entries when in incognito mode. Additionally, the Chrome team has verified the vulnerability and is still working on redesigning this feature, as is the case with Safari. On the other hand, the Edge team stated that they consider this to be a non-Microsoft issue as it stems from the underlying Chromium engine.
ahahahaha:

quote:

Nonetheless, browsers like Brave have recently adopted built-in anti-fingerprinting techniques which can affect our attack’s performance (while Tor has done so for years, we do not consider it in our experiments since it is not susceptible to our favicon attack).
did.. did they think tor's anti-fingerprinting wasn't in firefox for the most part?

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 22, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what are the chances someone deliberately broke the favicon cache specifically to avoid that sort of attack

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

haveblue posted:

what are the chances someone deliberately broke the favicon cache specifically to avoid that sort of attack
100%, it was part of the hardening for tor's use of firefox as a base

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess it does actually show that there's a problem if it's easy for someone to get them to revert changes that were made intentionally to prevent fingerprinting, which is kind of interesting, although that's obviously not what the person was trying to do, as Wiggly Wayne DDS said.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

if it was it was done wrong and never documented. seems more likely someone just broke it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

I guess it does actually show that there's a problem if it's easy for someone to get them to revert changes that were made intentionally to prevent fingerprinting, which is kind of interesting, although that's obviously not what the person was trying to do, as Wiggly Wayne DDS said.

yeah, I would expect some doc or better test around this thing (though the cache semantics were undercovered by automated test last I looked, so it might be a fair bit of work)

I love the security researcher asking for susceptibility to their pet tracking vuln, though. very high energy

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

100%, it was part of the hardening for tor's use of firefox as a base
does the commit actually say this, or is it just serendipity?

i'm not so sure it was intentional

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 22, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://threatpost.com/adt-hacks-home-security-cameras/163271/

quote:

Former ADT employee Telesforo Aviles took note when there were attractive women at a home he serviced in the Dallas area. Then he would add his personal email address to their accounts so he could have around-the-clock access to their most private moments, according to the U.S. Attorneys’ Office.
Now Aviles faces up to five years in federal prison for accessing roughly 200 accounts more than 9,600 times without consent, over a four-and-a-half year period.

ADT: We're home even when you're not dressed

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would've thought they would pay their employees enough for them to afford simping.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

reason 5,682 why internet facing cameras inside your house may not be a great security solution: there could be a piece of poo poo watching them at any time.

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

The worst part is that only the stupid ones get caught.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Midjack posted:

reason 5,682 why internet facing cameras inside your house may not be a great security solution: there could be a piece of poo poo watching them at any time.

Is it just me or is having camera's inside your house weird.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jre posted:

I’d say it’s solidly weird, besides like idk, entry doorway and maybe your home office where you have some document safe or some poo poo?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

we all know this won't be the first or last time, but lockscreen bypasses are always fun, especially when they involve bitlocker which is supposed to be microsofts big security framework

it's meant to be a combination of PAM+LUKS/GELI? although to be fair, there's been something like half a dozen screenlocking bypasses on Unix-likes in the past half decade

Don't count on an unhardened consumer OS to have a magical "protect me" button. It's definitely a bypass, but it required the machine to have a user account with automatic recovery options enabled. Without a competent sysadmin and a TPM, all you should really count on bitlocker for is having a thief format the machine instead of snooping.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Don't count on an unhardened consumer OS to have a magical "protect me" button. It's definitely a bypass, but it required the machine to have a user account with automatic recovery options enabled. Without a competent sysadmin and a TPM, all you should really count on bitlocker for is having a thief format the machine instead of snooping.
Yeah, that's fair - but I just enjoy lockscreen bypasses, since it seems inevitable.

Also, that's a hell of a good username.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

jre posted:

it is. i have one just pointed at my 3d printer in case it goes apeshit while i'm not home, and one in the entryway.

having one pointing at where you sleep is just begging to see shadow people when you look at the recordings

brains
May 12, 2004

jre posted:

the service was literally marketed as a way to spy on members of your household remotely, so yeah, hella weird

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

brains posted:

the service was literally marketed as a way to spy on members of your household remotely, so yeah, hella weird

:yikes:

I can see it just out of some theory that it would make you safer for reasons, or increase the chances of someone getting caught(more likely to get a food view of the face) but to straight market it to spy on your family...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you want to be sure your family is safe, don't you?

what better way to do that than by surveilling them 24/7

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

a lot of people in a position to be able to afford to pay some guy to wire up their entire house with surveillance cameras also have hired help in the home who they want to micromanage and abuse

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

brains posted:

all those x10 ads were creepy AF in retrospect. actually at the time too

brains
May 12, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I can see it just out of some theory that it would make you safer for reasons, or increase the chances of someone getting caught(more likely to get a food view of the face) but to straight market it to spy on your family...

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/adt-security-hit-with-class-action-lawsuits-over-employees-video-snooping-301061013.html posted:

One lawsuit was filed on behalf of ADT customers, and the other on behalf of minors and others living inside the homes. The lead plaintiff in one of the lawsuits was a teenage girl during the time that the breach occurred. ADT informed her family that the technician spied on them nearly 100 times, according to the lawsuit.

ADT marketed the camera systems as a way for parents to check in on kids and pets with live streaming video, yet failed to implement standard safeguards like dual authentication or text alerts when parties access the accounts. The breach was discovered when a customer noticed an unauthorized email among addresses that had permission to access the security system.
how dare u log on to the camera i installed in my teenage daughter's bedroom to spy on her!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

edit: wrong window

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

lotta people have a desire for control that IoT companies are happy to market to

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/bethbourdon/status/1353281184894230529

Aieeee.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

a hilarious amount of poo poo at work claims to still requires ie and blocks you if you use anything else. forge the agent headers and it works just fine with firefox.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Midjack posted:

a hilarious amount of poo poo at work claims to still requires ie and blocks you if you use anything else. forge the agent headers and it works just fine with firefox.

if an agent string switcher isn't just one of your standard browser addons, what are you even doing on the internet?

telling the truth or something?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
guardians

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

you want to be sure your family is safe, don't you?

what better way to do that than by surveilling them 24/7

one of the other occupants in my building wants to put cctv in the stairwell

so I was like hard no unless there's a policy of deletion etc

and he's like why are you worried, you're not a criminal :rolleye:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Carthag Tuek posted:

one of the other occupants in my building wants to put cctv in the stairwell

so I was like hard no unless there's a policy of deletion etc

and he's like why are you worried, you're not a criminal :rolleye:

yeah, unless the building is going to set and enforce data privacy/retention policies that's just a huge mess. especially in europe where you have actual privacy laws

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
In my apartment building there are more than enough residents with Ring cameras to cover all the entrances and exits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yeah looks like current law says max 30 days unless theres like a criminal investigation or similar situation

im gonna insist on fde and requiring all access to the recordings being logged as well

other ideas?

e: no internet