Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/SortaBad/status/1569788718436986880

Another internet success story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

this really greebled my gears

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Robobot posted:

You can be friends with people you don't share political views with. That's not some confusing crazy situation to most people.

10-15 years ago I said the same thing but poo poo has changed broski

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Field Mousepad posted:

10-15 years ago I said the same thing but poo poo has changed broski

Eh, there's a large gap between "I don't share your political views" and "your views (explicitly or implicitly) dehumanize groups of people". Granted, the latter category has gotten a lot larger of late. Or at least louder.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most people would tell you they couldn’t be friends with a literal nazi. So from there it’s just disagreeing about what degree of horrible you’re willing to accept in your friends.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Republicans are really stupid and I don't get along with the stupids

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PittTheElder posted:

Do Korean and Japanese just not really do L sounds at all natively?

japanese R is mostly an english R with some english L thrown in. ら is "ra", but if you say it like "rah" you'll sound weird, its more like "hra" or "rla". pronounce R and L, noticing where your tongue is in your mouth, then go a little back towards L to get a japanese R

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Agents are GO! posted:

Jeez, way to get all Agro on everyone. :mad:

Dodgeball posted:

Hilary-us.

These are crimes against posting

:mods:

And a lil something for pol chat

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

thinkin bout thos beans;

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

TK-42-1 posted:

thinkin bout thos beans;

fascist scum

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

I have bad news about these here dead gay forums

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
We're all stupid down here

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

self loathing is unhealthy, my friend

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Most people are all for throwing a lot of people including their friends and family under the bus, as in literally get them dead, dying, maimed and suffering, as long as this reduces risk of slight inconvenience or interference with whatever distractions they engage in to stay moderately happy. That is just something that we all have to accept, so we can move on together and get along as a society.

e: this isn't the curse thread???????

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I would like to throw you under a bus

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
See?????????

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

hello I heard this was the thread for throwing Karate Bastard under a bus?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeeees

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Fuckin get em!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bum the Sad posted:

what's a NAP

It's what their girlfriends take after a hard afternoon at the playground

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Am I doing this right?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Cyrano4747 posted:

The r/l mixup among non-native English speakers from Asian countries is a real thing. I taught ESL in Korea and it’s one of those things you have to drill people on. Native English speakers have a ton of gently caress ups in other languages for similar reasons involving sounds or sound pairings that aren’t found in English too.

IIRC, when you are born, the brain can distinguish over 200 phonemes, but the ones that you don't hear in the first few years wither away and the neurons get subsumed by the 100 or so phonemes that languages typically use. The common one is the lack of 'L' in Asian languages, the ones we don't think about much are the click
sounds of many African languages which we westerners have absolutely no hope of even perceiving the differences.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I understand what someone means when they say they are going to throw a person under a bus. But I don't understand the analogy. My boss used this term all the time to illustrate teamwork and team-accountability. We work as a team, no individual needs to be "thrown under the bus."

What bus?! Why would we be throwing people into traffic anyway? What is the context for chucking individuals under the wheels of public transportation?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

credburn posted:

I understand what someone means when they say they are going to throw a person under a bus. But I don't understand the analogy. My boss used this term all the time to illustrate teamwork and team-accountability. We work as a team, no individual needs to be "thrown under the bus."

What bus?! Why would we be throwing people into traffic anyway? What is the context for chucking individuals under the wheels of public transportation?

You’ve never seen the documentary Speed?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ZpnlvPV.mp4

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

credburn posted:

It means sacrificing someone else to save yourself because once a bus runs over one person it is legally required to stop.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Thank you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lobok posted:

It means sacrificing someone else to save yourself because once a bus runs over one person it is legally required to stop.

It is also legally required to not run people over in the first place, so obviously in this instance the bus does not care for the law.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

Edit: this varies depending on the native language of coureser. It’s been forever since I’ve done this but iirc Japanese and Korean native speakers had the roughest time and iirc it was much less of an issue for some Chinese and Vietnamese speakers but I don’t have much personal experience with teaching students from there, just anecdotes from acquaintances who did.

In mandarin chinese (not sure about "dialects" like cantonese), L and R are distinct phonemes from one another, so they tend to have an easier time avoiding mixing them up, however, the mandarin R sound is not the same as the english R sound, as the mandarin R is a retroflex consonant. This is the R sound mandarin speakers will first go to when learning english, so that's why their pronunciation of R will sometimes sound strange to english speakers.

You can emulate this R sound by putting your tongue in position to say the l in "love", but then moving your tongue slightly away from the roof of your mouth. This is why it's a retroflex consonant as your tongue is flexed backwards.

Try comparing the L and R sounds in mandarin here, for example, with the syllables "lan" and "ran"

https://www.archchinese.com/chinese_pinyin.html

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

credburn posted:

Throwing people under a bus is raucous fun for everyone involved, with the possible exception of the very small minority of people that actually get thrown under the bus, and we all are literal saints for not indulging in this guilty pleasure more often than we really can be considered reasonably entitled to.

Or serious answer, it means using denyable murder instead of words to get rid of a problematic ally that you fail to get rid of by other means.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I like the apocryphal origin that it's derived from the "throw a fat man onto the tracks" solution to the trolley problem.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

credburn posted:

i always figured it was a political campaign bus, so youre throwing whoever under there because the campaign has to go on and get to the destiation (winnnig the election)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

minato posted:

Most just don't hear the difference between the L and R, in the same way that many native English speakers can't hear the rolled R in words like "Madrid".

Yeah or how people think the V in Latin is pronounced as either the W in Eng. wine or the V in Eng. vine because they've literally never heard (of) approximants.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I don't know if these are funny or sad, I'm gonna say both. English people have brain rot.

Just the most psychotic insane poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are any of those "newspapers" actually English?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The indie, telegraph, and express are, other two are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Assholes do use it as a dumb racist stereotype, though. That is very true.

A good way to shut those fuckers up is get them to say 'Red lolly, yellow lorry' ten times fast. Watch them get amazingly confused.