Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Supradog posted:

Do you have CB radio in that? Or rather, is those huge antennas just fm radio?

Yeah... AM/FM/CB/cassette (lol)/6-disc CD changer (skips like a motherfucker on bad roads)/intercom with front and rear headset jacks and a 4-speaker system.

It's weird, other than the infotainment poo poo it's the most primitive bike imaginable - carbs, no ABS, air assist on the suspension, but it's a rolling disco lounge. I just got a couple of helmets with Bluetooth for intercom for me and the missus, I'll get an interface for the other poo poo, the corded setup on the bike is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm a child and giant wind turbines are really neat to look at

Well come on out to east Washington Cascades, we got a fuckload of them

E: I remembered this is actually from the Oregon side of the Columbia river, but there's turbines everywhere just east of the cascade mountains.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 1, 2017

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
My girlfriend was waiting at a bus stop when I rode by & took a picture of me! It's weird seeing a picture of myself when I'm unaware it's happening.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

No. 6 posted:

So I just bought this old ratty thing for track abuse.

Ugh I miss my F3 so much.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Fender posted:

My girlfriend was waiting at a bus stop when I rode by & took a picture of me! It's weird seeing a picture of myself when I'm unaware it's happening.

lol, I commute in the same pair of hi tops

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slim Pickens posted:

Well come on out to east Washington Cascades, we got a fuckload of them

E: I remembered this is actually from the Oregon side of the Columbia river, but there's turbines everywhere just east of the cascade mountains.

I would peep the hell out of those :eyepop:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Fender posted:

Get some proper gear you squid.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum
I'm more armored than I look. Rev'It is real real good at making armored stuff that looks like regular clothing. Adidas is my main sin there.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Fender posted:

I'm more armored than I look. Rev'It is real real good at making armored stuff that looks like regular clothing. Adidas is my main sin there.

Then you weigh 105 lbs you scrawny gently caress.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum

TheFonz posted:

Then you weigh 105 lbs you scrawny gently caress.

155 lbs.

I tried a handful of mesh summer jackets & didn't like any of them. Then I tried this & loved it:
https://www.revitsport.com/en/men/overshirt-hudson.html#631

The cordura denim is probs mostly worthless, but it's neat that they tried.
Then there is a layer of Rev'It brand kevlar in the shoulders and arms.
And CE-1 impact armor in the shoulders and elbows. It's the Rev'It seesmart stuff that is super flexible.
It has a spot for a back protector, but I don't have that in there.

If I leave it unzipped it just looks like a jean jacket. If I button the entire thing up it looks like a slightly oversized shirt.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Denim armored overshirt and denim armored pants are the optimum protective wear when you plan to send it, I hear.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I got a windmill too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You're more likely to gently caress up your foot on a bike than anything else. Don't even have to wreck. If you put your foot down in oil or grit and just slip to the side a little bit and end up catching the weight of the bike, SNAP go your little tarsals and PING go your tendons. Don't gently caress around with feet, they're really expensive to fix and they never work quite right again, and your quality of life will forever be a little bit less after that.

Sorry to be intentionally preachy, but I love my feet and what they do for me and I always cringe a little when I see somebody not taking care of them because I really wouldn't want anybody to have to deal with that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You're more likely to gently caress up your foot on a bike than anything else. Don't even have to wreck. If you put your foot down in oil or grit and just slip to the side a little bit and end up catching the weight of the bike, SNAP go your little tarsals and PING go your tendons. Don't gently caress around with feet, they're really expensive to fix and they never work quite right again, and your quality of life will forever be a little bit less after that.

Sorry to be intentionally preachy, but I love my feet and what they do for me and I always cringe a little when I see somebody not taking care of them because I really wouldn't want anybody to have to deal with that.

Listen to this dude.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Thirding or whatever for proper footwear. A quality set will last and keep your poo poo sorted when bad happens.

Or just wear a tankini and flip-flops, grease yourself up, and cram as many demon bells as you can in your rear end in a top hat.

Either way, you'll be able to look in the mirror and say "I am protected"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Every year, I hire a bunch of younger technicians for my field crew. I constantly give them Lt. Dan's two standing orders: "Take care of your feet and try not to do anything stupid."

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
As I lowsided my R6 at Thunderhill back in October I was tumbling end over end and smashing my ankle on every rotation. I had some bruising, nothing more. Finished the day on my Tuono.

Wear boots.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

For content:

Me and a buddy went looking for a mural yesterday.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

For content:

Me and a buddy went looking for a mural yesterday.

Oh, I get it - it's data in the cloud :v. Nice colors.

dema posted:

Hah! Love the Brutale with the top case. Awesome.

And love Pagemill.

Thanks. Not a fan of wearing backpacks on the bike, so...
I work 10 minutes away from Pagemill, so it's nice to loop around home the long way through Saratoga now and then.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Okay guys... I'll try on a pair of Adventure Lows. Now I'm freaked out about my TourMaster Solutions wide.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pokie posted:

Oh, I get it - it's data in the cloud :v.

I've been trying to figure that out. I didn't even see the binary when we were standing in front of it, just noticed it when I opened the picture up on a bigger screen.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I've mentioned this story before, but a guy on a goldwing got t-boned in the intersection directly outside the entrance to my work. One of the staff heard it and called me because I am the guy you call when something confusing or scary is happening.

After spending five or ten minutes with the poor bastard holding his hand/trying to keep him from writhing/listening to him moaning and looking at his ankle (amongst other things) bent some godawful direction in a tennis shoe, I gladly turned over care to the paramedics. I also gladly spent like $600 on gear the next day, including the newest Alpinestar boots.

I dunno if they'll do much in the event I'm t-boned by a trophy wife running a stop in her Range Rover, but I'll be damned if I'm caught without them.

The lady at fault was a few blocks from her house, so the husband showed up just before the paramedics. He walked up, said "I'm a surgeon..." and the look on his face said the rest. That had to have been a very expensive lawsuit.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Similar thing happened to my dad 40 years ago. He was t-boned by a truck that ran a light. He got pretty screwed up, rash, concussion, broken arm, and crushed ankle. Everything had healed in a few months except for his ankle which is still screwed up 4 decades later.

I on the other hand managed to blow out a tendon playing wiffleball.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Spouse's cast comes off today and plannin on some motocamping this weekend. means It is time to get off my rear end and finish the testing on all the new farkles.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Decided I wanted to slowly, gently set my bike on its side while making a slow awkward turn into a parking spot. I laughed as I did my best to be gentle with it as I realized I was going to set it down.

No damage other than I snapped about 2 inches off​ my brake lever.

Did I just make my bike cooler by accident?

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 3, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Custom ~artisinal~ shorty lever. Battle tested.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Accidentally an old Blackbird for commuting to the office. Been a couple of years since I owned a bike that was in a single piece.

I hate those cans so much, but it rides straight and only cost me beer money. Should do well as a zero-fucks-given bike, in relative comfort.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please give a gently caress about that bike, it's nice

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, how is that in any way just "that'll do" status

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The Blackbird is one of those bikes I love but wouldn't own because I know that I'd find it too uncomfortable on my back for me to ride and that'd make me bitter and start to hate it.

Maybe if I could afford two bikes. A SV 650 for the weekday commute and a Blackbird for weekend fanging...

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

PuntCuncher posted:

Accidentally an old Blackbird for commuting to the office. Been a couple of years since I owned a bike that was in a single piece.

I hate those cans so much, but it rides straight and only cost me beer money. Should do well as a zero-fucks-given bike, in relative comfort.

That is a gorgeous bike. If it's a zero-fucks-given machine, let me trade you something for it. :)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Carth Dookie posted:

The Blackbird is one of those bikes I love but wouldn't own because I know that I'd find it too uncomfortable on my back for me to ride and that'd make me bitter and start to hate it.

Maybe if I could afford two bikes. A SV 650 for the weekday commute and a Blackbird for weekend fanging...

Blackbirds are actually pretty comfortable, the seating position isn't full-on race tuck

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I am a shortarse and have flipper baby arms and crappy back so even if it isn't Aprilia foetal crab mode it'll probably be a trial. Certainly wouldn't try it as an everyday bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Looks like a Busa but less ugly. Decent.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Carth Dookie posted:

I am a shortarse and have flipper baby arms and crappy back so even if it isn't Aprilia foetal crab mode it'll probably be a trial. Certainly wouldn't try it as an everyday bike.

heli-bars can do wonders for flipper arms and bad backs

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'd love a Blackbird. It's pretty big, but so cramped. Like sitting on a massive race horse saddled for a tiny jockey.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I mean they're alright but aren't they heavy porkers that aren't all the powerful for their size?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're pretty loving powerful for their size by 90's standards it's just that everything is a lot lighter and smaller than it used to be in the 90's.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Slavvy posted:

They're pretty loving powerful for their size by 90's standards it's just that everything is a lot lighter and smaller than it used to be in the 90's.

This.

Feels similarly porky to my old Hayabusa, less aggressive posture and bars.

I'm certainly not planning on ruining it, but it's certainly a bike I'm not going to be precious about.

Who knows, maybe I'll fall head over heels with it over time, but anything more than pain free commuting is a just bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

everything is a lot lighter and smaller than it used to be in the 90's.

If only that applied to humans too :smith: