Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

LastInLine posted:

Splurge on the Pixel 3. You can $200 off until Sunday right now and it will be supported longer, work better, will definitely last longer physically (as the battery is new) over the X4.

This is probably a dumb question but what do you mean by the Pixel 3's battery is new versus the X4? Just that it's a newer model? Or is there some refurbishing going on somewhere that I missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mellowjournalism posted:

This is probably a dumb question but what do you mean by the Pixel 3's battery is new versus the X4? Just that it's a newer model? Or is there some refurbishing going on somewhere that I missed?

I honestly didn't know X4s were still being sold new but I guess they are. It launched in October of 2017 so I figured they were all refurbs at this point.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Alright so I got my new Pixel 3 and now I need a plan. I contribute $40 to my mom and brother's AT&T 15GB shared family plan but I want to get on my own thing if it isn't too much more expensive. USA, 5GB per month 4G LTE, just one line. Unlimited talk/text. What are my best options for at least 720p streaming youtube/netflix and general internet use?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fun Times! posted:

Alright so I got my new Pixel 3 and now I need a plan. I contribute $40 to my mom and brother's AT&T 15GB shared family plan but I want to get on my own thing if it isn't too much more expensive. USA, 5GB per month 4G LTE, just one line. Unlimited talk/text. What are my best options for at least 720p streaming youtube/netflix and general internet use?

Verizon just re did prepaid, and it’s $50 a month for call, text and 8GB. Not sure if it’s 720p, I would have to check tomorrow on that.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 22, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Country/Provider: UK

Current contract status: Unlocked iPhone 6 (originally voda UK)

Budget (phone/plan): Cheap! Only need for 10 or so days!

Features I know I want:

Essentially, I'm visiting from the US for a week or so and want to be able to use my phone from the moment I land so I can contact friends/family. I don't need a ton of minutes/texts/data, just enough to get me by for a week. My friend is visiting from London on Wednesday, so I'm hoping he can pick me up a SIM so I'm ready to go. My gut feeling is a Three SIM for 15gbp that does 5gb of data and 3,000 minutes/texts for 30 days. Anything miles better than this, or is this a pretty safe option?

If I can activate it while I'm still in the US, that's even better (I know friends on Three previously were able to use their phones here with no issue, but no idea if you can activate).

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
My sister is considering jumping from Android to Apple for the buy 1 get 1 "free" XR deal. I'm not real familiar with the various Apple flavors, is there anything about the XR that stands out as a negative compared to other iPhones? Only real concern is keeping a good quality camera and getting more local storage. Looking at the 128Gb model if that makes a difference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah, it's a good phone unless she really, really wants 3D Touch or really cares about an OLED screen. The camera is arguably worse than the XS but only really marginally.

SummerLove
Oct 28, 2015
I would suggest getting a less known chinese phone like Xiaomi or such. Cheap with really good specs for the price and it works like a charm.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SummerLove posted:

I would suggest getting a less known chinese phone like Xiaomi or such. Cheap with really good specs for the price and it works like a charm.

Are you suggesting this to someone who is looking for an iPhone? :psyduck:

SummerLove
Oct 28, 2015

Uthor posted:

Are you suggesting this to someone who is looking for an iPhone? :psyduck:

Well in my experience if someone is looking for an iPhone they will only be satisfied with an apple product. But if you looking for good performance for a reasonable price I would suggest such lesser known phones.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Country/Provider: US/AT&T

Current contract status: Ready to sever

Budget (phone/plan): Currently have unlocked devices (iOS), and looking for a family plan for 3 people. Budget preferably 30-40$ per line

Features I know I want: Decent coverage. Not concerned about devices, but would like an unlimited plan (Would prefer >20Gb limit before throttling)

Right now I'm shopping around to see what deals are available for new family plan subscribers. I'm trying to drag my parents out of a .25 cent/text prepaid plan they've been using for over a decade, and get them mobile data. I was looking at T-Mobile and noticed they have several tiers, including a low priority plan that's ~30$ a month, and are advertising a 40$ per line unlimited family plan.

When is a good time for sales on these kinds of things? I was thinking that being the holidays, there should be something available, unless there's a specific time or sale I should wait for.

Should I just go in to the store and talk with someone? What family plans would you guys recommend? I'm not really keen to get any carrier provided phones and get tied into a monthly bill on those... I'd do Project fi, but I just switched off android and recently gave my parents iOS devices to try and make their mobile devices easier to use.

Thanks in advance!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SummerLove posted:

Well in my experience if someone is looking for an iPhone they will only be satisfied with an apple product. But if you looking for good performance for a reasonable price I would suggest such lesser known phones.

Yeah, but it both isn’t great advice, and also there are privacy risks to buying a phone from a Chinese manufacturer. Plus non of the Us carriers are going to support any hardware issues with a Xiaomi phone.

iPhones aren’t cheap, but a BOGO helps and you do get what you pay for. A XR will get longer software support, hardware support, and will both perform better and have a better camera than any Xiaomi android phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Current contract status: Ready to sever

Budget (phone/plan): Currently have unlocked devices (iOS), and looking for a family plan for 3 people. Budget preferably 30-40$ per line

Features I know I want: Decent coverage. Not concerned about devices, but would like an unlimited plan (Would prefer >20Gb limit before throttling)

Right now I'm shopping around to see what deals are available for new family plan subscribers. I'm trying to drag my parents out of a .25 cent/text prepaid plan they've been using for over a decade, and get them mobile data. I was looking at T-Mobile and noticed they have several tiers, including a low priority plan that's ~30$ a month, and are advertising a 40$ per line unlimited family plan.

When is a good time for sales on these kinds of things? I was thinking that being the holidays, there should be something available, unless there's a specific time or sale I should wait for.

Should I just go in to the store and talk with someone? What family plans would you guys recommend? I'm not really keen to get any carrier provided phones and get tied into a monthly bill on those... I'd do Project fi, but I just switched off android and recently gave my parents iOS devices to try and make their mobile devices easier to use.

Thanks in advance!

It varies, but promos are a bit light in early December, and they usually come back mid December.

One question is have either you or either parent been in military? Both T-Mobile and Verizon give big military discounts.

Also, for both you can portably get the premium data for your line, and entry tier for your parents. If they haven’t been using a phone yet, they likely would be fine with the bass unlimited plans.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Country/Provider: US - Verizon

Current phone/status: Google Pixel, performs fine save for the battery oftentimes dying at around 19%

Budget (phone): I tend to go for mid to high range but not the real high end stuff.

Features I know I want: Replaceable battery and tethering support are a must.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Country/Provider: US/searching; Switzerland/UPC

Current contract status: Looking for a second SIM on a cheap plan that will let me keep a US number for my 1.5 visits per year.

Budget (phone/plan): For the SIM card/plan, I want something as cheap as possible that I can up/downgrade as necessary since I'll be using it for about 4 weeks a year. I'm also looking for a dual SIM phone to replace my Galaxy S8

Features I know I want: For the plan, I need calls/text (probably not too much as I can call over wifi) and a variable data plan--1-2GB will probably be plenty for maps, emails, messaging apps, etc. when I'm not near wifi. I'm just trying to make it easier on my family and friends to get in touch whenever I go home and avoid roaming/international calling bullshit. I was told to check out MVNOs in another thread and it seems Republic Wireless has the cheapest deal for me. Freedom Pop really want me to think they're cheaper but they give me the horrible compromises feels.

I also don't want to carry two phones. For the phone, I want decent battery life and a good camera. I also want to be sure that the dual SIM will work with a US SIM card! Right now I'm looking at an S8, S9+ or a Nokia 8. Swiss francs are more or less 1=1 with the USD these days so if someone could check the specs and the prices and let me know if I'd get a much better deal by waiting until I'm home that would be much appreciated.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

Country/Provider: US - Verizon

Current phone/status: Google Pixel, performs fine save for the battery oftentimes dying at around 19%

Budget (phone): I tend to go for mid to high range but not the real high end stuff.

Features I know I want: Replaceable battery and tethering support are a must.

Depends on if you’re buying new or not.

Best phone option is a Pixel 3. They just are not cheap ($800). Right now the promos to upgrade are minimal, but it’s December, so if you can hold out 1-2 weeks usually something pops up leading up to Christmas. I tend to update the Verizon thread, so feel free to check there for that.

Pixel 2 probably you could find a decent price used. It’s just whether you’re willing to roll the dice on the battery in that case. It’ll be better than you current scenario, but obviously not a brand new battery.

Personally, I’d wait 1-2 weeks.

greazeball posted:

Country/Provider: US/searching; Switzerland/UPC

Current contract status: Looking for a second SIM on a cheap plan that will let me keep a US number for my 1.5 visits per year.

Budget (phone/plan): For the SIM card/plan, I want something as cheap as possible that I can up/downgrade as necessary since I'll be using it for about 4 weeks a year. I'm also looking for a dual SIM phone to replace my Galaxy S8

Features I know I want: For the plan, I need calls/text (probably not too much as I can call over wifi) and a variable data plan--1-2GB will probably be plenty for maps, emails, messaging apps, etc. when I'm not near wifi. I'm just trying to make it easier on my family and friends to get in touch whenever I go home and avoid roaming/international calling bullshit. I was told to check out MVNOs in another thread and it seems Republic Wireless has the cheapest deal for me. Freedom Pop really want me to think they're cheaper but they give me the horrible compromises feels.

I also don't want to carry two phones. For the phone, I want decent battery life and a good camera. I also want to be sure that the dual SIM will work with a US SIM card! Right now I'm looking at an S8, S9+ or a Nokia 8. Swiss francs are more or less 1=1 with the USD these days so if someone could check the specs and the prices and let me know if I'd get a much better deal by waiting until I'm home that would be much appreciated.

Have you looked into google voice / Fi ? That really matches what you are looking for service wise.

How often are you going to be back in the states?

Either do google voice, and just buy a prepaid card when you’re visiting , or pay monthly for Google Fi ($10 per GB used in a month).

Fi used to be pretty exclusive, but they’re starting to open up. Not sure about dual SIM though. The trend is going towards SIM slot and second “eSIM” slot, which is essentially the same thing. If you can find a low cost Pixel 2, it looks like that phone does eSIM with Google Fi.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/4/16424740/google-pixel-2-xl-esim-technology-project-fi-first-ever

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 4, 2018

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Have you looked into google voice / Fi ? That really matches what you are looking for service wise.

How often are you going to be back in the states?

Either do google voice, and just buy a prepaid card when you’re visiting , or pay monthly for Google Fi ($10 per GB used in a month).

Fi used to be pretty exclusive, but they’re starting to open up. Not sure about dual SIM though. The trend is going towards SIM slot and second “eSIM” slot, which is essentially the same thing. If you can find a low cost Pixel 2, it looks like that phone does eSIM with Google Fi.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/4/16424740/google-pixel-2-xl-esim-technology-project-fi-first-ever

I'll be back every summer for a couple of weeks and for Christmas every other year, starting this year. I've lived in Europe for about 15 years now and I'm staying in Switzerland long-term.

I'm not sure how to manage Google voice from abroad, I need a US number, right? Where do I get a number that won't be tied to a mobile contract or whatever? But then I would be able to forward the Google voice number to whatever number I get when I pick up my T-Mobile tourist SIM each time I visit? That sounds good, that cost me about $50 for 60 days and 10GB the last time I got one, which is fair enough I guess.

I'm not a big fan of Google phones these days (I loved my LG Google phone, back in the day though), I don't like the way Assistant seems to get its tentacles in everything.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Can anyone recommend me a smaller phone? I have a Droid Turbo 2 at the moment, and I think its a little too bulky for me. All I really use the phone for is reading and GPS, so I don't have much use for a big screen. Cheaper is better, but I'm flexible with the price. I would like to stick with Android too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Can anyone recommend me a smaller phone? I have a Droid Turbo 2 at the moment, and I think its a little too bulky for me. All I really use the phone for is reading and GPS, so I don't have much use for a big screen. Cheaper is better, but I'm flexible with the price. I would like to stick with Android too.

It’s not cheap, but really the pixel 2 and pixel 3 are the only phones that could match this (they aren’t that much smaller anyway). There really are not any good small phones that are good.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
So if I were to upgrade my Galaxy s7, would a Note 9 or a Pixel 3 be the better choice? Why?

(note 9 owners, do you find the s-pen useful, or gimmicky?)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

So if I were to upgrade my Galaxy s7, would a Note 9 or a Pixel 3 be the better choice? Why?

(note 9 owners, do you find the s-pen useful, or gimmicky?)

There is a specific type of person that uses the note 9 s pen, mostly to hand write quick notes, but it’s pretty few and far in my opinion.

Neither is bad for sure though. I would say pixel 3 for software alone, plus the curved screen is a little bit more fragile on the note 9.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I don't know where to post this so excuse me if this is the wrong place. Recently cracked my Galaxy S9+ screen badly enough I want a new one. I'm guessing Verizon is WAY more expensive than those guys at the mall in the "FIX YOUR SCREEN" kiosks but is it worth it? I'm frickin 46 years old and have NEVER cracked a screen before so I didn't get the extended warranty HAHAHAHAHAfuck I know.

Anyway thanks for any help that isn't "go back in time and get the goddamn warranty" or "don't drop the phone, Grandpa."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flyinglemur posted:

I don't know where to post this so excuse me if this is the wrong place. Recently cracked my Galaxy S9+ screen badly enough I want a new one. I'm guessing Verizon is WAY more expensive than those guys at the mall in the "FIX YOUR SCREEN" kiosks but is it worth it? I'm frickin 46 years old and have NEVER cracked a screen before so I didn't get the extended warranty HAHAHAHAHAfuck I know.

Anyway thanks for any help that isn't "go back in time and get the goddamn warranty" or "don't drop the phone, Grandpa."

Verizon doesn’t repair phones, so they aren’t exactly an option. Also, insurance tends to be more than the cost of repair you are looking at now, so unless you keep busting phones I wouldn’t knock yourself too hard.

U break I fix is an official Samsung authorized repair center, that is likely where I would go. They’ll charge more, but it’s likely a better quality part and guarantee than the mall repair places.

https://www.ubreakifix.com/samsung-repair

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon doesn’t repair phones, so they aren’t exactly an option. Also, insurance tends to be more than the cost of repair you are looking at now, so unless you keep busting phones I wouldn’t knock yourself too hard.

U break I fix is an official Samsung authorized repair center, that is likely where I would go. They’ll charge more, but it’s likely a better quality part and guarantee than the mall repair places.

https://www.ubreakifix.com/samsung-repair

Thanks for this. Closest store is...not at all close. :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Is the promise of 5G support enough to give an iPhone XS a look? This person isn't especially technical so I'm looking for a good balance of 'it just works' and a bit of future-proofing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Is the promise of 5G support enough to give an iPhone XS a look? This person isn't especially technical so I'm looking for a good balance of 'it just works' and a bit of future-proofing.

I don't think any current phones support 5G

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

The XS definitely won’t ever support 5G, and apple is basically on record that they won’t be releasing a 5G phone until 2020. It’s too early to worry about 5G, it won’t be mature for consumers until 2020 or 2021 ish.

That being said, the XS does get slightly faster internet speeds than previous phones. I don’t think it’s enough to upgrade simply because of that, but it is a bit faster on 4G than the X is.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I will be in the US for three weeks. Is there a pay-as-you-go SIM I can get that will have a gig or two of data for the month? If so, what should I expect to pay?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MetroPCS do 2gb for $30. They’re now under the T-Mobile banner (rather than just use their backend) so the packages changed recently and they’re now obsessed with multi line packages like everyone else. I pay something like $40 for 6gb, no contract. Done me fine for about 2 years.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

EL BROMANCE posted:

MetroPCS do 2gb for $30. They’re now under the T-Mobile banner (rather than just use their backend) so the packages changed recently and they’re now obsessed with multi line packages like everyone else. I pay something like $40 for 6gb, no contract. Done me fine for about 2 years.

That is hilariously expensive but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I should have asked before, but is it quick and easy to sign up for something like this? Does it require a social security ID or anything like that?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don’t recall having to give anything like that. I just walked into a store and sorted it out in like 10 minutes. Price includes taxes and all the other extras they can add on top (911 etc).

Everyone here is obsessed with multi line contracts, 4 lines saves you a massive amount, so to make them appealing single line deals aren’t great.

I paid £25 yesterday for an ee sim in the UK for next to no minutes/texts but a decent amount of ‘bonus’ data, doesn’t really matter where you go they know they can get good money from people who need a temp sim.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

other people posted:

That is hilariously expensive but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I should have asked before, but is it quick and easy to sign up for something like this? Does it require a social security ID or anything like that?

Lol welcome to America. $30 is actually really cheap.

As long as you do prepaid (metro is prepaid) no social security number is required.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My Galaxy S5 is on its last legs, camera lens is scratched and chipped to uselessness and it randomly reboots while in my pocket. It's also tending to chug a bit on the apps I run, even when I close everything and start fresh, could use more ram/cpu/whatever it's capping out on. I don't care about 3d cameras or touchscreens on the side or whatever gimmicks they're slapping on these days, I just want "an S5 again, but with more processing power". I'm on my mom's at&t family plan so anything I can put on that network is an option.

Tl;dr: rec me a Galaxy S5.1, so to speak, on at&t. Doesn't have to be samsung. Light on bloatware is a plus.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 27, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why don't you tell us what you like about your S5 and would like in a new phone? What is your budget? Otherwise, I'm just going to say get a Pixel 3 and enjoy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Apologies, hadn't read the OP.

Current contract status: I don't handle the bills cause it's a family plan but I currently have a Galaxy S5, which was an insurance replacement in like 2015 for my old S3, which itself was like 2 years old, so I can only imagine it's fully paid off by now. I think we have unlimited talk/text and like 15GB/month between us, but I'm mostly on wifi so w/e.

Budget (phone/plan): I'd like total cost to be under $700, but I've got wiggle room if the monthly payments aren't too bad. It's kinda of a christmas present so cost is more flexible than I'm used tp.

Features I know I want:
-1/8" headphone jack, if that's a thing that's still around
-Good camera(s)
-Better battery life than the S5
-At least 1080p screen (probably a given but yanno)
-Close in size to the S5, erring on the side of bigger (I have large yeti hands so anything iphone size is obnoxiously small)

Other than that... it's been a while since I had to shop for phones, and so long since I've paid attention that I have no idea what all new features are the Hot New Ticket in smartphones these days.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, my suggestion of a Pixel 3 or even 3 XL holds! You won't get a headphone jack, though, sorry. They do come with an adapter, I believe. Looks like Verizon has them on sale for $25/month and $30/month respectively right now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fender Anarchist posted:

My Galaxy S5 is on its last legs, camera lens is scratched and chipped to uselessness and it randomly reboots while in my pocket. It's also tending to chug a bit on the apps I run, even when I close everything and start fresh, could use more ram/cpu/whatever it's capping out on.

This isn't the troubleshoot your old busted phone thread, but turn on developer options, then look for the one that shows you cpu usage. (it's "top" if you are a Linux dork) make sure that something like Netflix isn't running in the background using 50% of your cpu. Doubled my battery life uninstalling Netflix.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Well, my suggestion of a Pixel 3 or even 3 XL holds! You won't get a headphone jack, though, sorry. They do come with an adapter, I believe. Looks like Verizon has them on sale for $25/month and $30/month respectively right now.

This is a good recommendation, but if they’re on an ATT family plan I don’t think they’re switching for the phone. So no discount , Verizon isn’t discounting a phone for another Carrier.

That being said, check google, see what promos they have directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh shoot, I had a brain fart there. Yeah, not worth switching for.